1 Comments
Posted by Yummylee

I've wanted to make such a list for a long while... but then the dreaded laziness took a hold. Plus I wanted to encompass every Resident Evil game I had played at that, and the idea was a little daunting. Anywhoo I can agree to a large extent with the ordering. As I've said before, even though I still like Veronica to an extent, it's undoubtedly the weakest of the classic RE games.

In any case my order of the 6 from best to worst would resemble something like this, sans commentary:

• Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil REmake (which also looks so damn stupid, which is kind of the appeal I imagine)
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Resident Evil Zero
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil: Code: Veronica X

And I agree with you at the utmost when it comes to the remake, especially at how it completely twists the expectations and perceptions for players who have gone through the original. Stuff like the possibility of Richard surviving the poison (but then funnily enough still dying later one), Forest Speyer reanimating as a zombie (which I recently discovered was actually first introduced in the Director's Cut of the original), the addition of the yellow gem 'tiger eye' alongside the red & blue, completely remixed puzzles, Lisa Trevor (who is potentially even more frightening than Nemesis, if not more disturbing), and Neptune... just, fffffffffffffff - undoubtedly one of the most legitimately terrifying moments across the entire franchise.

The remake is assuredly the better survival horror game and the primary reason as to why it loses out to RE2 for me is because of the relevance it has in my childhood.