11 Comments
Posted by MooseyMcMan

@Video_Game_King: The Snake Eater song plays during it, and thus the purpose is to listen to that song some more.

Posted by Mento

@MooseyMcMan: They're all intentional. It's why I don't have any examples of RPG grinding, since no-one would intentionally create an RPG scenario where that was necessary. Or crappy games like Lords of Shadow which had long, boring sequences because it wasn't designed well. Or just crappy games.

I'd be happy to accept other examples of games that (intentionally) do this from people though. Maybe not any more where you have to click a crazy number of times or leave the controller alone for X minutes, since those are covered.

Posted by Video_Game_King

@MooseyMcMan:

Although why shouldn't it count? The list is about "long-ass stretches of repetitive nothingness in video games" (or something like that), and MGS3's ladder fits that. The intention is largely irrelevant.

Posted by MooseyMcMan

@Video_Game_King said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

That ladder sequence in MGS3 is entirely intentional though. I don't think that should count.

So are the tunnels in Fragile Dreams, though.

The difference is that I have not played Fragile Dreams, and thus I did not comment on that game.

I only commented on what I knew.

@MooseyMcMan said:

That ladder sequence in MGS3 is entirely intentional though. I don't think that should count.

So are the tunnels in Fragile Dreams, though.

Posted by Slag

oooo fun list

I would say Dark Souls/Demon Souls are games where you have to be pretty methodical as well. It pay huge dividends to carefully survey where you are going next and then to try and isolate foes one by one.

If you rush in any room you generally are in major trouble.

Posted by Fobwashed

I don't know much about much, but I do know that when I played Neverhood, I encountered a room that went on for so long, I thought it was just on loop. Or a joke. It just kept going and going and going. . . That's about all I remember about Neverhood. That and the button that you're not supposed to push.

Posted by MooseyMcMan

That ladder sequence in MGS3 is pure gold and entirely intentional though. I don't think that should count.

Also, I remember liking that bit in Paper Mario as well.

You could just copy/paste it all into an outside document before saving. That's what I do with my blogs.

Posted by Mento

@Video_Game_King: The original text used to explain all these list items was magnificent. If only you could've seen it. (It was actually about as pithy as these lists of mine usually are; I'm just still sore about it.)

"Endless corridor of exposition walls" sounds like the early outings of Braid, now that I think about it.