384 Comments
Posted by EverydayOdyssey

I thought this was a great review. I credit Alex for backing up all of his points with solid information and I will not be purchasing the game.

Posted by Eaxis

I get how people are disappointed after watching the pre-release footage.

Posted by Winternet

People still think that 1-star reviews are meant for games like Big Rigs. That's not the case anymore. Games like Big Rigs don't get to have a review.

Posted by Crelio

Man this game let a bunch of people down, myself included

Posted by KittyVonDoom

"From the team that brought you Duke Nukem Forever..."

Edited by Devinant

I don't know if this was posted earlier so here goes:

This is probably one of the reasons people seem to dislike Colonial Marines. Also, while you're at it, take a look at some of Randy Pitchfords interviews prior to this game release. He's full it.

This game encapsulates everything that is wrong with this industry. I feel bad for all the people that pre-ordered this game on false pretenses.

Edited by Nurabsal

Dropped a bomb on it indeed

Posted by Gimpy

I don't get how this is getting SO universally trashed. I mean it's not an amazing game or anything, but I just thought it was the standard 6/10 game that everybody figured it'd probably be. Everywhere I see is dropping 3's and 20's and stuff and to me that's a little over the top - that says to me a borderline unplayable mess that is broken in every way. Maybe I got lucky with bugs or something, but it just seemed like a generic, unimaginative shooter to me, was fine going through it with a buddy

Posted by Smokey_Earhole

Anyone, please please spoil the mentioned ridiculous cameo for me (put it in spoiler markup for the sensitive audience if you must). I have zero intentions of playing through this apparent travesty of a game.

Kindly thanks.

Posted by vhold

It's interesting that the standards for video games based on movies/comics/etc are so much higher now. It used to be that a really bad game based on a movie was considered par-for-the-course, and reviewers would just say "If you really like aliens and want to see a bunch of shoe horned references.. rent it, otherwise.. noo..."

What reset expectations and set the bar so much higher? Batman Arkham Asylum?

Posted by Lukos

Did this game release only surprised me? I didn't see any publicity for it and just remember it was coming out when I saw the quick look on the site. Usually poor marketing means a bad game, so I'm not to surprise the game sucks. Too bad thou, really liked to have a good Alien game to play this generation of consoles.

Edited by DedBeet

Man, if this Kotaku article and Reddit thread are correct, Sega should probably sue Gearbox. What a travesty that they allegedly sacrificed this game for Borderlands 2 when I'm much more interested in playing a good Aliens game (Borderlands franchise just not my thing). 0 interest in anything Gearbox is working on now.

Posted by JazGalaxy

Man, way to go Alex. What a well written article. It's eloquent and does a great job of explaining what's wrong with the game without taking pot shots or trying to be "clever".

One of the best reviews I've ever read.

Edited by innervoicexx

When the TV spot for this game came on I thought... It looked last gen. Why would any one put a game out this late this gen that looked like that..

Posted by Zevvion

Damn. When watching the Quick Look I thought: this will end up getting two stars. Wasn't expected one star. But I can believe it deserves it. I haven't played it myself.

Posted by Flameinc

So disappointed in a game that looked so promising when they showed it at E3 it amazes how an excellent looking game can turn into a complete piece of shit.

Edited by Christoffer

Big fans of Alien but forgets to implement horror? Even Jeff would know that's one of the most important aspects of the franchise. And his only experience of Alien is a sound mod to Doom 2.

Great review, Alex. The score sounds harsh but I don't know, since I haven't played the game. It does, however, sound like something I would want to stay away from. So you've made your point.

Posted by ripelivejam

gearbox i don't want to hate you but you're making it so, so hard...

Posted by TwoLines

Harsh... I guess? From what I've seen that is. Ah hell, I haven't played it so... Yeah.

Posted by Saganomics

@benpicko said:

@alkusanagi said:

No, this is still better than Prometheus...

Prometheus is at least beautifully shot, if not anything else.

And no, there isn't anything else.

Don't forget about Idris Elba (in a terrible role).

Posted by MB

At least this will be 75-80% off on Steam pretty soon. On the downside, that means I'll definitely buy it and probably still be disappointed even at deep discount.

Posted by Dracomaster01

I just finished the campaign with two friends and, yeah it's not great or even good,but it's not offensive or terrible. I don't see why it's getting so much hate from people.

Posted by emilknievel

Game over, man. Game over.

Oh no you didn't!

Posted by MachoFantastico

Oh how I do enjoy an Alex Navarro review, always entertaining.

Shame this game is such a awful mess and shame on Gearbox... feel like they should know better.

Edited by LiquidSwords

Is this the first one star review of 2013? Great Review Alex!

Posted by sungahymn

A star for every innovative / exciting concept presented in this game...

So a zero?

I'm kidding...mostly.

Edited by HeyImPhoenix

Aw man I preordered but haven't had a chance to play it yet! Mind you, resident evil 6 got bad reviews but I loved it!

Posted by Mofaz

@ildon said:
@el_galant said:

Can't believe this still happens in 2013...where are the Game Testers??!

I don't doubt they did their job, but with Sega breathing down the producer's back, all the bug reports probably got marked as "won't fix" or "known shippable" in order to just get the game out the door.

Gearbox had almost half a decade to make this game, but they repeatedly shelved it despite SEGA's insistence that they meet their milestones, eventually they outsourced it because they'd rather work on Borderlands 2 and other projects, they really didn't care about this game from the get-go, so to say it's SEGA's fault is mistaken, this is thoroughly Gearbox's fault.
It's not surprising at all, considering that Borderlands is really the only "good" series they made and even those are suspect due to boring singleplayer and relatively mediocre shooting mechanics. Gearbox somehow got a reputation as a AAA developer when they never deserved it in the first place. SEGA's involvement is unimportant, the important factor in the equation is Gearbox.

Oh, and people trying to defend Gearbox are absolutely hilarious, after the Borderlands 2 DLC, Duke Nukem: Forever, and now this, are you seriously still this much in denial? This company is a joke, Randy Pitchford is reaching Molyneux levels of bullshitting and feigned excitement for games that he knows are going to under deliver, and just pure incompetence. It's about time Gearbox's time in the limelight has ended, their products have little to no merit to them, and neither do their business and developmental practices.

Posted by TimeFugitive

Great Review Alex. Really bummed about the game but I think we all saw it coming, right?

Posted by I_Stay_Puft

Should of just released as Prometheus and called it a pile a shit.

Posted by PillClinton

Well, now I just remember the people who were all pumped to have pre-ordered a few months back. This is why we don't pre-order unless it's totally guaranteed, guys. Like SimCity; fine, go pre-order that if you must.

Posted by ThePiePieper

Like many, I so wanted this to be good. Went to work today and watched a friend playing it on a demo unit. That, coupled with reviews like this, re-assured me that I will be happier with the $60. In the end, we all lose.

Posted by ildon

I don't doubt they did their job, but with Sega breathing down the producer's back, all the bug reports probably got marked as "won't fix" or "known shippable" in order to just get the game out the door.

Edited by spiceninja

This game is getting pounded by critics. It seems to be an easy outlet of reviewer angst, targeting a bad game with bad review scores so that when those reviewers can feel better about themselves when they are inevitably forced to give sevens to games that deserve much lower, if not for their expensive marketing campaigns.

Not that I'm calling out Alex, he'll score bad games everywhere he sees them. But the dogpiling by the media at large is looking like a desperate attempt to regain credibility.

No one takes money for reviews. No one gives a game a higher score because of a marketing campaign. Stop thinking that, it isn't true.

Edited by SadisticWOlf

This game is getting pounded by critics. It seems to be an easy outlet of reviewer angst, targeting a bad game with bad review scores so that when those reviewers can feel better about themselves when they are inevitably forced to give sevens to games that deserve much lower, if not for their expensive marketing campaigns.

Not that I'm calling out Alex, he'll score bad games everywhere he sees them. But the dogpiling by the media at large is looking like a desperate attempt to regain credibility.

Posted by dezvous

@rcath: The deleted scenes helped clear up quite a lot and make some of the more hammy lines more believable with the added context. In particular the "father" line, doesn't seem like it's just so completely forced and coming out of nowhere.

Have you watched them? I'd love a directors cut with most of them added in there.

Posted by benpicko

No, this is still better than Prometheus...

Prometheus is at least beautifully shot, if not anything else.

And no, there isn't anything else.

Posted by El_Galant

Edited by Chris

The general crapness of this game will never stopp bumming me out.

Posted by Allison

@krakn3dfx: Really the takeaway is fuck Randy Pitchford. Dude is toxin for the video game industry.

Posted by Roodog

With the amount of money and time wasted on this game I'm surprised it even gets a star.

Edited by 1p

Woah. Didn't see this one coming.

Posted by stryker1121

Looked up the "spoiler cameo" and it's a doozy. Not quite sure how it fits into the Aliens universe or how it retcons the next film. If anyone wants to spill all the details in spoiler tags, feel free to PM me.

Still cannot believe Aliens is not only a generic corridor shooter, but a broken, incompetent corridor shooter. How do you fuck up an almost foolproof concept?!

Posted by omatictoast

A star for every innovative / exciting concept presented in this game...

Posted by AiurFlux

Apparently all of the footage that they used in promotional things like at E3 wasn't even in the game. So people bought this game sight unseen based off of lies, deception, and I assume that there were review embargoes in place to prevent the press from telling people how shitty this product really is. Brings up an interesting thought of is this false advertisement. I mean the game was the number 1 purchase on Steam the day before release and they didn't release ANYTHING that was true to the final product that people ended up getting. The only thing they did get for their money was a shitty game and a stupid fucking gun.

Stop pre-ordering things you dopes. All you're doing is contributing to bad business.

Posted by Vorhenze

Oh god please no. Please tell me it's not Paul Reiser.

Posted by Beforet

Not terribly sure this is related, but the bicep of the guy in the picture looks like a Xenomorph.

Edited by beard_of_zeus

Sounds like I should just go replay Aliens Infestation instead. Now that's a good Aliens game! It manages to be incredibly tense (even on that tiny DS screen) because of the permadeath elements and the fact that even normal enemies will fuck you up if you aren't careful.

Plus, you can unlock Bishop's knife trick as an arcade game! Awesome, right?

Edited by KaneRobot

@dvorak said:
@kanerobot said:

More like FAILiens. Right folks??

No. And you should be extremely ashamed of yourself.

I regret nothing.

Edited by Krakn3Dfx

@delorean99947: My impression reading up on this situation is that Gearbox offered to do A:CM for Sega and in the process got an Obsidian developed Aliens RPG shut down. Gearbox has been pushing the game back for years, got Borderlands out there, it became a huge success, and A:CM became a distant concern because they wanted to get Borderland 2 out. Eventually they farmed a lot of it out to other companies, kept pushing it, and then, when Sega was likely getting ready to pursue legal action against GBX for not having a game ready, they pushed this out the door to keep that from happening.

It's pretty disgusting, especially the way Pitchford made this sound like it was going to be an amazing experience and how he sat in Ridley Scott's office and read the Aliens bible and how GBX are supposedly huge fans of the Alien universe. I really hope this hurts them in the long run especially after doing pretty much the exact same thing with DNF.