383 Comments
Edited by Yanngc33

But is it any good? ;)

Posted by shatteringlast
Edited by GasparNolasco

BOOM! worst than RE6! Now the year has started.

Game over, man!

Posted by KingX
Posted by smcn

This is definitely a good week to be a person who doesn't give a shit about Alien(s). Sucks for those who do, and I think Gearbox might be in need of some soul searching.

Posted by Lenny

More like FAILiens. Right folks??

Ha, ha! Nice one ! :)

Posted by Ghostiet

@2kings: We also give zero fucks.

Posted by Ronanana

Not that it really matters, but the game is set after Alien 3. Someone mentions that the Sulaco was brought back from Fury 161 (the planet in Alien 3) at some point.

Just Sayin'.

Posted by NekuSakuraba

Saw it coming, just looked like a generic FPS to me, although, not a very good one.

Posted by gramblor

I'm really glad Alex opened this review up by referencing Randy Pitchford's sleazy salesmanship of this game. I have no respect for that man, who I'm convinced is a sociopath.

Posted by FilipHolm

More like FAILiens. Right folks??

Why did I laugh at this?

Posted by sdhdgasd
Edited by Wilshere

It seems like Gearbox is picking up games in trouble, invests minimal amounts of money and development time to make them "release worthy" and hopes that enough people are baited to buy them. I know that they probably need money to keep the studio alive, but c'mon. Give a bit more effort.

Posted by hughesie27

I refuse to believe that Alex would dislike a video game.

Posted by iAmJohn

I was wondering how long it'd take for someone to post this joke of a review. Has he even like, publicly backed up his take? Or are all the claims that it was a "money-hat" true? It's like he didn't even play the game.

I find it hard to believe that Sega would've money-hatted this review, if only because that would imply that EGM is relevant enough that buying positive coverage off them would make sense. They're not, and it doesn't. He just seems like one of those crazy Dave Halverson types who will love something unconditionally even if it's actually fucked beyond belief.

Posted by HellBound

Just because Prometheus did something new and did not focus on just killing does not mean it was bad.

I love movies that make me think and question.

Edited by ArtisanBreads

Well that was an unnecessary dig at Prometheus at the front.Great movie.I don't even think of it in relation to Alien.

Just because Prometheus did something new and did not focus on just killing does not mean it was bad.

Agreed. I think the advertising didn't do any favors to the real tone of the film (made it look Aliens) but it was a very interesting movie. Didn't all quite make sense but that's not what I watch movies for. Loved it.

Posted by Bawlsz

Guys, check out the the demo version of the game then compare it to the actual game, there is a huge difference in quality and the actual demo looks allot better.

Edited by NTM

@hellbound

said:

Yeah, I really liked Prometheus aside from some stupid and annoying characters, as well as some other problems with it that I can look past. Furthermore, as stated in the review, it's not a retcon. I thought it was fascinating that it was almost completely different, and dealt with different things, and yet it was interestingly in the same universe as Aliens, when it didn't really have to be if they were just to take some scenes out and change some names, but I like that it is.

Edited by FreedomTown

@mongoose:

@mongoose

said:

Was genuinely looking forward to this game... sigh.

Dev. has posted an interesting little story on Reddit about development of this game, worth a read.

If you were looking forward to it, keep looking forward to it. Why let one random person's opinion of the game change your mind about something. I hate seeing this kind of post after reading a bad "review". You know what you like, you know if you will have fun playing it. Hell some of the most "fun" games out there probably have scored bad reviews, while other so called "blockbuster", well made, big budget games, were boring and quickly forgotten about.

This isn't to say this specific game is any good at all, just that you should trust in what you like, not what random people think is good or bad, especially since you can't trust anything you hear from others in the media.

Honestly, this review comes off as written by someone who expected this game to be great, with a huge expectation behind it. Who had that? No one as far as I know. It was built up to be a mediocre shooter, and it turned out to be a mediocre shooter. It didn't need this harsh (or lengthy) of a review.

Also, why the hell are there so many deleted posts on GB now? Is this how things are going to be?

Posted by myslead

terrible game alright

Posted by peritus

Man thats a low score, but i believe it :( Pleasant to read as always.

Edited by EDfromRED

Like Duke Nukem:Forever, this looks like it's destined to pile up in the Wal Mart $9.99 bargain bin in a few months time. Sounds like it's not even worth it at that price. Glad I still have my copy of Rebellion's Aliens vs Predator.

Randy Pitchford needs to stop praising to high heaven such crap before release. It does not do him or his company's reputation any good. It's looking like Gearbox is a one franchise pony.

Posted by TheGorilla

Oh wow, 1 star. I've never been happier and I don't know why.

Posted by SCHULTZ

I played this game last night. Got the Day1 patch, if that means anything. 8hr campaign with a bit of collectible-searching. What I found with A:CM was a mediocre game, with some occasional sloppiness, and non-existent AI. Online coop was kinda fun. While I like leveling/unlocking stuff in my games, it doesn't fit with Aliens. I'd rather they spent their energy with ominous environments and wicked smart AI for the Aliens. All this said, this game is in no way only worth 1 star, as if it's unplayable or broken. A patch or two, and it'll be a standard average FPS. GiantBomb giving out a 1 star actually lowers my opinion of your reviews, which I've held in the highest regard for years. Leave those site-hit-pandering scores to IGN, Joystick, and Destructiod.

Edited by nutter

For a long time my heart cried out yes" while my brain dismissively said "no."

I hate that my brain was right.

Goddamned shame...

Posted by BlatantNinja23

Remember those awesome demos gear box gave of their upcoming aliens game? When is that version coming out?

Edited by PurplePartyRobot

Mister Pitchford is a hell of a hypeman.

Edited by habster3

There won't be any "reviewer" avatar in the new site? =(

I'm really hoping they bring that back.

Honestly, this game's terrible reception didn't surprise me at all. Although I knew this game wasn't developed by the same team that did the last AvP game, I expected the quality of the game to be similar.

Posted by TheSouthernDandy

sigh...i'ma go be sad somewhere now

:( :( :(

Posted by dialisl2

@iamjohn: The background image on EGM is an A:CM promotional splash...they clearly thought EGM was relevant enough to buy coverage.

Posted by ssj4raditz

Well, that's a bummer for the folks who were looking forward to this game. Glad I wasn't.

Posted by Vuud

Bring back the reviewer cartoons! How else can I know what they thought?? Besides reading I mean. Reading is for nerds.

Posted by McGhee

Ease down . . . just ease on down. Ease down now. Ease down.

Edited by Ghostiet

@schultz: I think the score fits considering how much hyped this game was. If they didn't pump the balloon so much, it would get 2 stars, but Pitchford has been audaciously selling this as the best thing in the Alien IP since Scott and Cameron's movies. When you take that into account - it's an absolute failure. Not to mention that patches don't matter, what matters is the product that is put on shelves. If the game suffers from a plethora of bugs on release, the fact that it can be ironed out in a few patches shouldn't matter, because someone clearly fucked up and forces someone to wait with a finished product.

@ronanana: Nope. It's been said and confirmed that it's supposed to take place in between Aliens and Alien 3. The fact that they managed to get that shit wrong while boasting of their reverence to the source material is just another layer of shit.

Edited by Hitchenson
Posted by iceveiled

Sweet jesus black text on a white background. Finally I can read GB reviews without my retinas burning. Thanks!

Edited by redelectric

Anybody here play the PSX Alien:Ressurection?

Looking pretty good right about now, ain't it?

Posted by Morningstar

This game is so bad I'm gonna have to play it. 5 dollar steam sale here I come.

Posted by BNB82

What a bummer. It is so disappointing that something that had this much attention put into it would turn out so bad.

Edited by Moncole

I want to play this, to see how bad it is.

Posted by CivilizedWorm

Bought it on Steam yesterday, and I'm enjoying it so far. Dunno what all the hate is about.

Edited by gogosox82

Ok so what the hell is going on at gearbox? It seems like if it isn't borderlands, its really bad. Are they like a one trick pony or something?

Posted by mastrbiggy

This is unfortunate.

Posted by triviaman09

So much Prometheus hate in these comments. That movie was okay.

Posted by Deusoma

i find it funny that this game would get a 1/5 but shovelware flash games get goty contender

this kind of stuff pretty much illuminates the direction this site is going

You mean, caring more about the actual quality of a game rather than the hype? Yes, yes it does. :-)

Edited by Sticky_Pennies

Well-deserved. Fuck this game. Fuck it and all the copy-paste bullshit tropes it used to completely ruin this IP.

Edited by antivanti

I was at the local Gamestop visiting a friend who runs it when they got the delivery of the Collectors Edition. Statue looked neat so I looked up some reviews online to see if it was better than what it had looked like it would be so I could justify filling my bookshelf with more collectors editions. Gamespot gave it 4.5 so I abstained. Now a 1 star here? This game seems even worse than I feared and I thought the previews looked quite bad.

Edited by jimmyfenix

@SCHULTZ none of us can control alex's opinion of the game, if its a 1 star game then hell its a 1 star game

Posted by Nettacki

Ok so what the hell is going on at gearbox? It seems like if it isn't borderlands, its really bad. Are they like a one trick pony or something?

They made the Brothers in Arms series, which was really good, before they made Borderlands.