8 Comments
Posted by Little_Socrates

Good blog, mi amigo!

The game sounds exciting. This seems like a better way to learn about it than on an inevitable SNES livestream sequel.

Posted by Video_Game_King

(I'd actually give it a read if I'd played the game in question. But alas, it must wait.)

Posted by Mento

Hooray, a new buzz_clik blog! Thank Devil Gundam you posted a link on Twitter, or else I'd never find it. The blogging community's taking a huge hit without that sidebar that tells you who posted blogs recently; I'm completely in the dark. (At least new lists are easier to find now, right @zombiepie?)

Wait, what do Gundams have to do with SID music? *reads blog* Oh right. Well, I think it could make for a pretty spectacular Scrub League. I'd imagine it'll be pandemonium until someone figures out how it works (probably @ryan) and then that person will be a dick and not tell anyone anything (definitely Ryan) and only reveal all once he has the trophy safely in his hands.

Watching Arino play Super Puyo Puyo in a recently translated GCCX has put me in a falling blocks sort of mood. I'm debating whether to do something questionable with a questionably legal version of Hebereke's Popoon to give it some exposure, or just dig up that Ultimate Mega Drive Compilation for 360 and play Mean Bean Machine on that. And also Shining Force II, since I brought that series up before the big switch.

Posted by buzz_clik

@mento: Oh yeah, I never even considered the Scrub League option. Even so, I'm still not sure it's got enough "OHHH SHIT!" factor compared to Tetris Battle Gaiden's engaging goofiness. But I'd still not complain if they gave it a crack anyway.

Also, I'd never heard of Hebereke's Popoon before! Which is a surprise, because it sounds like something dirty, and I'm normally across anything that sounds like something dirty.

I have a weird brain problem with the Shining Force games: any time someone mentions one, no matter which, I have a strange compulsion to play Shining in the Darkness.

Posted by Mento

@buzz_clik: Well, good thing Shining in the Darkness is on the same disc. That's a good compilation, I hope they release more. The achievements are really well thought out too, with each game getting its own special challenge.

Hebereke's Popoon is part of a series based on Ufouria. It's weird how Europe never got Ufouria, but at least two of the Hebereke games. At least it meant they could keep all the Japanese names without confusing anyone (Hebereke was called Bop-Louie in Ufouria, for instance).

Posted by EToaster

@buzz_clik:

Oh hey. I was actually the one who mentioned this game on that stream. It's definitely a very different game from your usual Tetris or Puyo Puyo, but I guess that's probably why I like it so much. The higher you build your stack, the more and more tension builds as you try not to drop one piece in the wrong spot, causing a terrible chain reaction that destroys everything you've been working for. P blocks are important for that, since they don't react to the colored blocks, and stick around as junk blocks after they've been activated.

You're right that it's probably not great for an impromptu match on stream, and I didn't know what the hell was going on until I looked up the basic mechanics online either, but it's a really incredibly unique puzzle game, and I'm kind of surprised how little I've seen mention of it before. Mostly, I'd just really like to see more done with this kind of anti-match4 game.

Posted by buzz_clik

@etoaster: Oh hey, cheers very much for mentioning it! Without trying to retread what I said in the blog, it's such an interesting game if only for the fact it flips what you expect of the genre onto its head, let alone the depth of strategy that can be employed.

Also, I have you to thank for your part in my acquiring of that aces boxed copy you see in the picture; I always love adding new (well, old in good condition) stuff to my collection.