168 Comments
  • 168 results
Posted by Funkydupe
Edited by CouncilSpectre

Really great game. Took me back to when I saw Aliens at the movies day of release. Can't wait for the DLC. Got my season pass paid up :)

Posted by lowestformofwit

I am continually baffled by the people who make game design decisions. It is blatently obvious what an "Aliens Colonial Marines" game should be. It should be a game like the original Dead Space, set in an isolated environment with a focus on tension and horror. The motion tracker dictates that from the off. It should also be single player only.

Meddling with multiplayer/co-op is the path to destruction right from the conception with an IP such as this. Sometimes aiming for a long shelf-life/long-term sales is not the direction to take as it results in launching a poor product. Hell, even if the game was half decent you still won't pull people away from Halo/COD/Gears anyway. It didn't work in Dead Space 2 or Bioshock 2 and I am sure the morons who make these decisions are only looking at the books and have no idea about gaming at all.

Anyway, its a big disappointment for me that this is a failure. Such a shame. Most people will forgive or forget Gearbox's bad decisions about this title. I for one, won't.

Posted by VikG

Thanks @alex , great feature on this whole mess, looking forward to the next Guns of Navarro!

Edited by vinsanityv22

Let's just be happy that we got Aliens: Infestation out of Sega's license. At least WAYFORWARD knew how to handle Aliens. More Metroid, less bad Call of Duty.

If Sega wants to make money from their licensing agreement, they'd forget Colonial Marines and commission Wayforward to make an HD version of that game for XBLA, PSN, Steam and eShop. Do a Shadow Complex-type remake of the game.

Posted by simon209D

I think there are a lot of us out there who would have preferred them to spend time on the ultimate Aliens game than continuing the Borderlands franchise (as good as it is). This is something that gamers have been after for an age.

Also this is the game that reveals the true marketing purposes behind press previews. Hopefully will encourage suspicion of these.

Posted by Mezmero

Awesome read. It's like some sort of double review for a terrible game and developer. Sorry guys, better luck next time.

Edited by durden77

Great article Alex.

It really is a bummer. I had seen Alien a long time ago, but the fear of facehuggers (lol) actually put me off from seeing Aliens when I was younger for sometime. I watched Aliens for the first time just a couple of days before this game came out, and absolutely loved it. Not only that, but it was still very fresh in my mind, so I was so excited for a game to truly capture that atmosphere and run with it.

I can't even imagine how the long time Aliens fans feel, because my disappointment alone was really rough. And seeing that demo footage compared to the final version just makes it almost seriously depressing. The game I, and many others, wanted to play was shown to us, but not given to us. Like seriously look at some of that demo footage, it looks beautiful.

Luckily I had seen the reviews hit and resisted paying full price for it, so I rented it. The multiplayer is actually....kind of fun, and a bit more balanced than I expected. If the game was around 20-30 bucks I'd pick it up just for that. But the single player is hot, HOT garbage.

I never held anything against Gearbox for DNF. People that thought that game was actually going to be a new great shooter I thought were crazy. I always felt like Gearbox were just the people bringing whatever DNF was to a freaking shelf finally so people could play it, and honestly I didn't expect much from the game, I just wanted to see it, and I was satisfied.

This on the other hand, this is just kind of straight up messed up.

Posted by heatDrive88

"Colonial Marines is a staggering mess of a game. "

That seems more than a bit hyperbolic. It's a crappy game and disappointing somewhat like Homefront. It's better than Rogue Warrior. But a staggering mess? No. Not really. Certainly not in the way I would use those words. Big Rigs? Yes. Emphatically. A:CM ? Not so much really. It's merely a Blacksite: Area 51/Dark Sector sort of game where one hoped for more of a near Bioshock.

To be fair to Alex's point, I think once you put expectations into the picture, the game is quite a mess. Nobody expected Big Rigs or Rogue Warrior to be "good" games, and they weren't exactly marketed as such either. At least Aliens had the money and the franchise potential behind it in comparison.

Posted by Superfriend

@yadilie said:

Another bad piece of media from a terrible IP? Oh no! What a shocker!

Dude with anime in his avatar says: "I don´t like popular things, that´s why I´m edgy."
What a shocker indeed.

Posted by oobs

Posted by Vorhenze

@palaeomerus: Agreed. People are such victims of their expectations.

Posted by CaptRocketblaze

The Guns successfully blast through another week of topical criticism! What will be the next issue to find itself in the line of fire? Find out next week on The Guns of Navarro!

Posted by GnsDemon

I really enjoyed this one. Thanks ya Alex.

Edited by sate2801
Posted by fisk0

Wait, what the hell? Capcom? Epic Games studio in China? Jeez. What a wide, random array of development sources.

My guess is that the developer credits for Borderlands 2 aren't quite complete. I think someone put all the studios Gearbox outsourced development for ACM to in the wiki to prove the "too many chefs" point, when in fact every somewhat big game outsource part of the development to various studios, but in general that stuff gets a few lines in the end credits, and maybe a couple of additonal logos at the launch of the game. Even indie titles like Amnesia: The Dark Descent had studios like Abyss Lights and Wolfire games help Frictional Games out with art assets and such.

Edited by Palaeomerus

"Colonial Marines is a staggering mess of a game. "

That seems more than a bit hyperbolic. It's a crappy game and disappointing somewhat like Homefront. It's better than Rogue Warrior. But a staggering mess? No. Not really. Certainly not in the way I would use those words. Big Rigs? Yes. Emphatically. A:CM ? Not so much really. It's merely a Blacksite: Area 51/Dark Sector sort of game where one hoped for more of a near Bioshock.

Posted by R3DT1D3

Anyone who expected the game to be good and pre-ordered after 7 years of it being kicked around deserves to have their 60 dollars away. I'm tired of consumers rewarding ridiculous marketing with blind faith. It just encourages them to do it again.

Posted by LucidDreams117

A very good read Alex. Very insightful. Gearbox to you is what Bioware is to me after last year. I'm more careful before falling for a game before it comes out. There are of course exceptions but even the best studio can fail. A good option for gamers to do for themselves is to at best be cautiously optimistic. And when things fall apart, you won't be too disappointed. Like me with Dead Space 3. It's also good for the industry to hold studios and publishers accountable. Speak on the internet but also with your wallet.

Posted by XenoNick

Great write up Alex. Glad I traded this in while it still had some value.

Posted by SomeJerk

Sega's mistake in this was that they jumped on the deal without looking into the state of things deeper than basically the speech and demo Randy provided the press with, and Gearbox will get taken to court in one way or another, deservingly so.

Sega also made a mistake in saying "ok we're only going to do these IPs from now" but that's another story for their inevitable post-mortem.

Posted by ddensel

Gearbox comes across bad after this whole mess, but ultimately, its Sega's responsibility to put out a quality game, if they expect it to sell. Sega should've stripped them of the title, and passed it on to another developer.

As it stands, one of Sega's "pillars" has completely crumbled. And I don't think they can release enough Sega Vintage collections to compensate for how much Aliens cost them. Though I'd appreciate a Shining Force III port to XBLA.

Edited by YukoAsho

@godlyawesomeguy: Yeah. This game is the poserboy for too many chefs up in the soup.

@hailinel: Yeah, that kinda stands out. At this point, it seems like you're more special if you DIDN'T work on this game at some point.

The game's reception saddens me. Gearbox is clearly capable of awesome (Brothers in Arms, Borderlands) but they need to stop picking up trainwrecks. They need to stick to their own fucking games.

Edited by MikeyA

I'm a little suspicious that people weren't worried after Borderlands 2. For a game that was well received, it is shockingly boring and unoriginal. Brad recently handed Dead Space a (well deserved) 3 stars, and since they are so temporally distant it isn't a big deal or anything, but Borderlands 2 was lazier and less compelling than Dead Space 3, and I don't know it reviewed so well. If anything, ACM feels like vindication for me. Gearbox has produced a few excellent things (all their Half-Life stuff, Borderlands 1), but it's just about split 50/50 between that and garbage.

Posted by artofwar420

Nicely put Alex.

Posted by EchoEcho

Sad thing is, I think Gearbox was fully capable of delivering the game that they showed in their demos, a game that looked really fucking promising, and now we'll never get it. I'm sure their next game will be quality, but god-fucking-dammit did they drop the ball on this, and they deserve all the shit they get for it.

Posted by Hendrixx

Expanding a bit on the points made in the article, as a studio exec, would you rather not release the game and tell the truth to your fans. For example that the game does not meet the standards of the other games of the studio. This would put the whole project as a sunk cost project and probably end in the courts, or would you release the game, take the flak, and cut the losses on the project?

Posted by MachoFantastico

I'll be honest Gearbox have delivered more than they've dropped the ball in my experience, so there simply as to be another factor we don't know about, possible Sega related. However you look at this, Gearbox Software have come across atrociously and the fact that they're not exactly defending themselves tells us they're as much to blame as any of them. It's sad, unfortunate and honestly, depressing. That said, part of me felt this was inevitable, we'd heard enough lacklustre opinions on the game beforehand from event demos and such.

It'll be fascinating to see what happens next, but it looks bad all round.

Edited by dr_mantas

First rule of not getting burned - don't have expectations.

Edited by AiurFlux

@phished0ne said:

To imply that gearbox "shovels shit" just because YOU got burned on a shitty product is a bit presumptive. Because YOU were the dummy that bought a game where all signs pointed to it sucking. Because YOU didnt wait for reviews. Guess what, it's Pitchford's job to talk up his games, just like its any product creator's job to talk their product up. If someone wants to sue pitchford or gearbox(be it a class action lawsuit or sega suing because they were mislead by gearbox) that is different. But to just run around the internet and slander a company that makes good product normally , just because YOU are the dummy that ate the shit?

Thats an asshole thing to do, because in the end you dont know the story behind what happened at Gearbox that made the game come out like that. I bought Street Fighter X Tekken and it was probably the worst game i played. The online was trash, no one was playing, the mechanics were broken, and the characters were out of balance. But i didnt go online and bitch about how "i got mislead by capcom" and how Ono should lose his job for misleading fans. I understand that it is their job to hype up their game. I got burned, i moved on and dealt with it. I'm not telling you that you shouldnt be pissed, im telling you you shouldnt be an asshole.

It's Pitchford's job to talk up his game, however it is not Pitchford's job to blatantly lie about the vast majority of the content. That's false advertising and is illegal, demo or no demo. As for not waiting for reviews? Yeah. I fucked up on that. But I guarantee you that they put review embargoes in place to prevent negative press because they knew the game stunk. If word got out that it was terrible pre-orders would have been cancelled and sales would have tanked.

I don't give a fuck about the story as to WHY or HOW it came out like that, fact is that it came out like that and they misrepresented EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THING when it came to pre-release footage. As for your "analogy", if it can be called that, about Street Fighter X Tekken you still got a game that was previewed and released in relatively the same state. I'm certainly not playing favorites given how terrible the online code was in that game and the absolutely disgusting on-disc "DLC", and Capcom/Ono deserve all the shit they get for that trainwreck. But fact is they didn't show things at conventions like E3 or PAX that never made it into the game. In that video that I posted about 90% of the shit in that video isn't in the game. And he calls it a "vertical slice" that was neither "vertical" nor a "slice".

And calling me a dummy? Really? That's the best you can do? Get the fuck out of here. I don't give a fuck if Gearbox released Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, which was the best game in that series. I don't give a fuck if Gearbox released Borderlands 1 and 2, which are fun although chores to play at times. The fact is they released a shitty game and LIED about it, blatantly misrepresenting the product they'd release. And it's not just Gearbox that should take our ire and fury over this, it's every single company out there that misrepresents their product. If I'm a dummy for expecting and demanding more, fine. But fuck you.

Edited by Bourbon_Warrior

@phished0ne said

Just like i cant prove those things were ever in the game, you cant prove they weren't taken out for some reason. Hell you cant even prove GEARBOX took them out. Sega might have had it taken out for some reason. Prove to me there weren't extenuating circumstances that made them have to take out their ai system and totally re-work it, maybe a major pathing issue that caused the aliens to spin on their heads when they placed them in environments larger than that demo space.

My point is that everyone is piling on Gearbox, when they dont know jack shit about what ACTUALLY went on with the development of this game. All they know is what some anonymous people(we know how trustworthy they are) who claim they work at gearbox said happened. we dont know jack about what happened to this game, and unless someone brings forth a lawsuit, we wont ever know what happened. I just was saying i think its shitty to completely blame Randy/Gearbox when you really just know what some dude in a guy fawkes mask said happened.

Also, about SFxT, was it really what they claimed it would be? I dont know, when i get a Fighting game i expect the characters to be balanced and the online not to be so broken its unplayable. There were numerous articles written about how the SFxT netcode was a flaming pile of feces, so im pretty sure I could argue i was pretty misled by Capcom.

This has nothing to do what people have said or what not, this is quite simply down to Gearbox has their name on the box, Gearbox showed off the "Gameplay" video. Gearbox shipped a broken game.

Edited by Thiefsie

Everyone fucking knows that this means sweet fuck all for Gearbox - you suckers are still gonna eat Borderlands 3-10 shit up on a plate and hell... even the next Duke Nukem when it comes around to release time. (next 3 years at most).

All this shit slinging at gearbox will slide right off when the next fanboygasm game that seems to be Borderlands (which I thought was a rather shit update to that Diablo FPS that failed majorly as well) get's released to epic reviews and stellar sales.

Gearbox are laughing all the way to the bank.

edit: got mixed up and realised that they had nothing to do with gunman chronicles.. ahaha

Let's just say the last decent thing they did was Op For, as Blue Shift was pretty average...

Posted by SPCTRE

I certainly don't share all the views presented here but that doesn't take anything away from a quality kind of read for my lunch break today.

On the contrary - thanks again, Alex. Quality content FTW :>

Posted by dropabombonit

Great article Alex. I never thought that this game looked good but it had potential if you look back at early screenshots and videos. It just makes me think that Gearbox only care about their own IP. Although this is sure to make selling their next Borderlands more difficult than it should be

Edited by Funkydupe
Posted by probablytuna

I wonder how the reception of Colonial Marines will impact on their next game's performance sales wise?

Posted by Deusoma

Reading this article felt very surreal to me, because all this controversy is exactly how I felt about Duke Nukem Forever, right down to Randy Pitchford lying out his ass beforehand about how much he loved the Duke Nukem franchise, having worked on Duke Nukem 3-D back in the day himself. In that case, he went as far as continuing to insist it was an amazing product after it launched and proved to be anything but, insisting that all the negativity and accusations of serious misogyny were just the work of "butthurt haters".

After that serious shake-up of trust, I haven't had any faith in Randy Pitchford whatsoever, but I was willing to give Gearbox in general the benefit of the doubt; I waited for the reviews for Borderlands 2, and was pleased to see that they hadn't just suddenly lost the ability to make a good game. After seeing it happen a second time, though... I don't know that I want to support a company that deliberately neglects one project in favour of another, so I might just have to wash my hands of Gearbox all together.

Posted by Hailinel
Posted by Nettacki

@cronoxtream: You know what? Fair dues, it IS an absolutely crap outcome for a game with so much potential.

Sounds like Daikatana.

Edited by Phished0ne

@bourbon_warrior said:

@phished0ne said:

@aiurflux said:

Some of you people are fucking morons. People were LIED to, that's why they're pissed off. When you call a demo actual in game footage and none of that footage ends up in the fucking game that's a lie. When you say you're a massive fan of the series and it's a dream project then pawn it off on 3 other studios that's a lie. When you pass something off as one thing when in reality it's something entirely different, as seen in the demo to retail comparison video, that's a lie. Then to call that "story", if it can be called that, canon is a fucking insult to each and every single person that worked on any of those films. Even the shitty ones.

Watch that. That's what people were basing purchases off of. NONE of that shit ended up in the game. Do not for one fucking second tell anybody that spent 50-60 bucks they have no reason to be pissed off. This should be the fucking poster boy for false advertising. Because, and I'll be honest, if that was the game I got I'd be happy. But that wasn't the game I got. It wasn't even in the same galaxy much less neighborhood.

Gearbox fucking stinks and I can say with absolute certainty I won't be playing any of their games anytime soon. I wouldn't even waste bandwidth and torrent the shit they shovel. But I did learn one thing, never ever pre-order. I typically never do but my inner fanboy got the better of me.

To imply that gearbox "shovels shit" just because YOU got burned on a shitty product is a bit presumptive. Because YOU were the dummy that bought a game where all signs pointed to it sucking. Because YOU didnt wait for reviews. Guess what, it's Pitchford's job to talk up his games, just like its any product creator's job to talk their product up. If someone wants to sue pitchford or gearbox(be it a class action lawsuit or sega suing because they were mislead by gearbox) that is different. But to just run around the internet and slander a company that makes good product normally , just because YOU are the dummy that ate the shit?

Thats an asshole thing to do, because in the end you dont know the story behind what happened at Gearbox that made the game come out like that. I bought Street Fighter X Tekken and it was probably the worst game i played. The online was trash, no one was playing, the mechanics were broken, and the characters were out of balance. But i didnt go online and bitch about how "i got mislead by capcom" and how Ono should lose his job for misleading fans. I understand that it is their job to hype up their game. I got burned, i moved on and dealt with it. I'm not telling you that you shouldnt be pissed, im telling you you shouldnt be an asshole.

How is he the "Dummy", they released this as a game play demo and none of it was in the game.

Randy Pitchford lost my respect for this, he made a fake game play demo and lied to everyone that this was the game and people pre-ordered it because the game play in this looks great, especially the Alien AI and movement, none of which made it into the game. Your Street Fighter X Tekken analogy is invalid as it was exactly what they advertised, you seem to be confusing people complaining about a bad game with Gearbox blatantly lying to people to sell units with false game play videos.

Just like i cant prove those things were ever in the game, you cant prove they weren't taken out for some reason. Hell you cant even prove GEARBOX took them out. Sega might have had it taken out for some reason. Prove to me there weren't extenuating circumstances that made them have to take out their ai system and totally re-work it, maybe a major pathing issue that caused the aliens to spin on their heads when they placed them in environments larger than that demo space.

My point is that everyone is piling on Gearbox, when they dont know jack shit about what ACTUALLY went on with the development of this game. All they know is what some anonymous people(we know how trustworthy they are) who claim they work at gearbox said happened. we dont know jack about what happened to this game, and unless someone brings forth a lawsuit, we wont ever know what happened. I just was saying i think its shitty to completely blame Randy/Gearbox when you really just know what some dude in a guy fawkes mask said happened.

Also, about SFxT, was it really what they claimed it would be? I dont know, when i get a Fighting game i expect the characters to be balanced and the online not to be so broken its unplayable. There were numerous articles written about how the SFxT netcode was a flaming pile of feces, so im pretty sure I could argue i was pretty misled by Capcom.

Posted by bunkerbuster05

Everything about this just bums me the fuck out. I really, really wanted this game to be awesome, and fully believed it would be until just before it came out, but man...it sure as hell ain't awesome. I also really want to like Randy Pitchford. His apparently genuine enthusiasm and passion for what he does was always refreshing to me, and he seems like a good enough dude, but everything he sold this game as is simply not true. Regardless of who made what exactly, Gearbox still put this out under their own name and is ultimately responsible for the outcome. I really hope they knew what the hell this game really was.

I'm still a fan of Gearbox, though. Borderlands is undeniably great and my love for that series is too great. I seriously hope that they have learned some kind of lesson from all this.

This sums up my feelings as well. As a huge Alien fan I went in hoping for the best, and got the worst.

Posted by Murdoc_

@rudecubes: How does that work? The producer is the one that defines the quality of the product and approves the work of the developer before going to market. It's not like Gearbox hid this game from SEGA and released it under Segas name without their knowledge.

Posted by BawlZINmotion

@jrock3x8: I could make a bunch of assumptions why you fail to see the problem, but I won't.

Posted by Quarters

As a side note, I don't agree with people comparing this to situations like Killzone 2. Yes, KZ2 had a per-rendered demo when it was first announced. However, the other trailers and footage they released from the game was indeed actually from it, and it was clear the first video was just a target from that point on. When the game came out, it was as advertised from the more recent trailers. Most games operate like that.

A:CM failed, because up until it was out, people still thought those demos would more or less be in the game, and that was representative of the final product, when in fact it wasn't even close. As sensational as it sounds, this really is more of a lie. I hate saying something like that, but the whole thing just feels dishonest, like something is clearly being hidden.

I in no way wanted this game to fail. I, like many others, thought the demos and trailers looked great. Now, after having just finished the game, I'm just gob-smacked. This is a colossal mistake. Is it the worst game ever? Of course not. It's just extremely mediocre, and feels like a borderline launch game for the PS3 and 360(both in graphics and gameplay). Just depressing, all of it.

Posted by KirkDouglas

It's hard to believe that these were the people responsible for the awesome PS2 port of Half-Life.

Posted by OneKillWonder_

Everything about this just bums me the fuck out. I really, really wanted this game to be awesome, and fully believed it would be until just before it came out, but man...it sure as hell ain't awesome. I also really want to like Randy Pitchford. His apparently genuine enthusiasm and passion for what he does was always refreshing to me, and he seems like a good enough dude, but everything he sold this game as is simply not true. Regardless of who made what exactly, Gearbox still put this out under their own name and is ultimately responsible for the outcome. I really hope they knew what the hell this game really was.

I'm still a fan of Gearbox, though. Borderlands is undeniably great and my love for that series is too great. I seriously hope that they have learned some kind of lesson from all this.

Posted by Undeadpool

@cronoxtream: You know what? Fair dues, it IS an absolutely crap outcome for a game with so much potential.

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy
Posted by CronoXtream

@funkydupe: It's the same people who see pricks and trolls overrunning forums and, instead of hitting "Flag" or holding them accountable for decent, human interaction, it's all "throw up your hands, HEY! It's the internet, whattya gonna do???" And then they'll post massive, long-winded posts about how "the community" has gone to crap because of new users, or some ridiculousness.

@cronoxtream said:

I hate alex's attitude, i dont think he even should be working for this site anymore...no one on the gb crew even talk about him much nor does he show up in any videos....and when he does show his face it aint good..attacking RE6..now aliens...sure these games have problems but i dont need to hear it from him.

iam just tired of his s**t.

He's not in videos because he lives in New York. When he comes to visit, then he's in videos. And what "shit" would that be? His reporting on actual facts? His insane review output?

@markwahlberg That wasn't directed at you, per se, much more toward whoever was the first poster in that thread. You I like. But yeah, this is a bigger deal than the usual shovelware, licensed game BS we've come to expect.

@phished0ne Just because it's a tough sell, doesn't mean it's not worth bringing up/reporting on. Even without that, this is a pretty big debacle. Sony may have shown an up-res version of Killzone 2 for the PS3 launch, but they didn't completely mislead consumers about the content and tone of the game.

all in all iam just upset this game ive been looking forward to playing came out in such a bad way..

• 168 results