Log in or sign up to comment
183 Comments
  • 183 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Posted by Icemael

@subjugation said:

I remember when we would scoff at an eight hour campaign. Now we accept a four hour campaign without complaint? I don't think so.

I remember when action games were like 30 minutes long and no one cared because they were focused, exciting, challenging thrill-rides that had no reason to be longer. Now we need 20 hours of bloat and filler? I don't think so.

Edited by bunkerbuster05

Fuck I'm excited for this. I would be fine if Platinum made all my action games.

Posted by MEATBALL

I can't goddamn wait to get this game.

Posted by TruthTellah

Late night Quick Look! :D

Glad to see the game appears to be fun. Perhaps I'll pick it up one day once it's at a more reasonable price. I hope everyone else enjoys it in the meantime.

Posted by SolongWrex

If I live to be some sort of immortal cybernetic freak, I want those legs and ass.

Posted by rolanthas

@icemael: yup, and to be precise, DMC 1 can be comfortably finished in around 2 hours on your first playthrough ( and skipping all the scenes), and that was the meatiest action game of its time content wise.

and this genre, character action if you will, is all about the replays. you shouldn't really bother with any game in this genre if you're just playing a game once and never touch it again. that's just not how they're made.

Posted by amardilo

Looks really good, I'm glad this game is short as it sounds like I could get through the game in a weekend.

Posted by MooseyMcMan

This game looks rad. I will buy it.

Posted by NekuSakuraba

Chop till ya drop son!

Edited by CptBedlam

@icemael: yup, and to be precise, DMC 1 can be comfortably finished in around 2 hours on your first playthrough ( and skipping all the scenes), and that was the meatiest action game of its time content wise.

and this genre, character action if you will, is all about the replays. you shouldn't really bother with any game in this genre if you're just playing a game once and never touch it again. that's just not how they're made.

Granted, it's been a while since I've finished DMC1 but it definitely took me a lot longer than 2 hours (even without cutscenes). The numerous boss fights alone are longer than that.

Posted by Blimble

This type of game is meant to be played multiple times through on higher difficulty and trying to get the highest score possibles. That time it tells you at the end also doesn't include the amount of times you retry as you died. the game also has a load of VR missions to do and more coming (which might already be out and be free but don't quote me on those).

A lot of people in these comments seem to be missing these points

@rolanthas said:

@icemael: yup, and to be precise, DMC 1 can be comfortably finished in around 2 hours on your first playthrough ( and skipping all the scenes), and that was the meatiest action game of its time content wise.

and this genre, character action if you will, is all about the replays. you shouldn't really bother with any game in this genre if you're just playing a game once and never touch it again. that's just not how they're made.

Granted, it's been a while since I've finished DMC1 but it definitely took me a lot longer than 2 hours (even without cutscenes). The numerous boss fights alone are longer than that.

I don't know about 1 but 3 can be cleared in 3-4 hours

Posted by RWBladewing

I haven't yet had a chance to watch this but I already consider it a great piece of content simply because it finally knocked Angelica Weaver's creepy uncanny valley face off the front page.

Edited by RussianDrink

Cutting edge graphics. Solid gameplay. Razor sharp wit.

Posted by TheHT

and this genre, character action if you will, is all about the replays. you shouldn't really bother with any game in this genre if you're just playing a game once and never touch it again. that's just not how they're made.

that's nonsense. i love me some character action games but rarely ever replay games.

Posted by alibson

If it's OK to cut up a human-looking cyborg into pieces then is it OK to have sex with a 20 year old girl that has a body of a 10 year old? #crackinwise

Posted by JamesG

is it me or is the html5 player jacked up. plays for 3 seconds then freezes. have to refresh and switch to streaming.

Edited by Sanious

@theht: Then it doesn't sound like this is the game for you.

I agree with the sentiment that these games are meant to be played with replay value in mind and learning it, getting better and all that.

Edited by tescovee

damn this makes me bummed platinum didnt buy the darksiders ip...they could of made the last 2 games so crazy

Posted by AngelN7

I don't care if it's a short game the combat is so great, Jeff didn't even show the sliding on the ground while cutting dudes with the blade mode that's so good!

Posted by Derios

This looks awesome.

Posted by HansKaosu

4 hours`? Lolz.. fuck that shit.

Posted by Duffyside

4 hours`? Lolz.. fuck that shit.

This man has his speakers on mute.

Posted by horseman6

Remember when we used to accept 4 hour games? It's all about reply ability and this game is meant to be played multiple times.

Posted by HeroicDrinkingSong

Watching this makes me wanna play DmC.

Posted by Goblin
Edited by Ares42
@blimble said:

This type of game is meant to be played multiple times through on higher difficulty and trying to get the highest score possibles. That time it tells you at the end also doesn't include the amount of times you retry as you died. the game also has a load of VR missions to do and more coming (which might already be out and be free but don't quote me on those).

A lot of people in these comments seem to be missing these points

@cptbedlam said:

@rolanthas said:

@icemael: yup, and to be precise, DMC 1 can be comfortably finished in around 2 hours on your first playthrough ( and skipping all the scenes), and that was the meatiest action game of its time content wise.

and this genre, character action if you will, is all about the replays. you shouldn't really bother with any game in this genre if you're just playing a game once and never touch it again. that's just not how they're made.

Granted, it's been a while since I've finished DMC1 but it definitely took me a lot longer than 2 hours (even without cutscenes). The numerous boss fights alone are longer than that.

I don't know about 1 but 3 can be cleared in 3-4 hours

Still though, compared to DmC and probably the upcoming GoW (or a genre favorite like Bayonetta) 4 hours not including cutscenes on a first playthrough is quite short. Compared to other action-adventure games it's really short.

Sure, speedruns of those games might be around 3-4 hours, but that's not exactly what we're talking about here.

Posted by RudeCubes

@hanskisaragi: I'll take a short, fun game over a long, bad game any day.

Posted by fox01313

So Jeff thinks that an understanding of the Metal Gear history might be helpful for this, after reading the storyline on a few sites, it still doesn't make sense to me & thinking that it probably intentional on that.

Posted by Duffyside

@ares42 said:
@blimble said:

This type of game is meant to be played multiple times through on higher difficulty and trying to get the highest score possibles. That time it tells you at the end also doesn't include the amount of times you retry as you died. the game also has a load of VR missions to do and more coming (which might already be out and be free but don't quote me on those).

A lot of people in these comments seem to be missing these points

@cptbedlam said:

@rolanthas said:

@icemael: yup, and to be precise, DMC 1 can be comfortably finished in around 2 hours on your first playthrough ( and skipping all the scenes), and that was the meatiest action game of its time content wise.

and this genre, character action if you will, is all about the replays. you shouldn't really bother with any game in this genre if you're just playing a game once and never touch it again. that's just not how they're made.

Granted, it's been a while since I've finished DMC1 but it definitely took me a lot longer than 2 hours (even without cutscenes). The numerous boss fights alone are longer than that.

I don't know about 1 but 3 can be cleared in 3-4 hours

Still though, compared to DmC and probably the upcoming GoW (or a genre favorite like Bayonetta) 4 hours not including cutscenes on a first playthrough is quite short. Compared to other action-adventure games it's really short.

Sure, speedruns of those games might be around 3-4 hours, but that's not exactly what we're talking about here.

Actually, that's EXACTLY what we're talking about here. Didn't you listen? The game's clock (or the one they showed) takes your best time for each chapter and CONSTANTLY reduces your overall time. It is specifically designed for speedruns, leaderboards, bragging, etc.

Sit down with this game for a one-sitting, single playthrough, and then tell me it takes you less than six hours. And doesn't it also have VR missions? Plenty of game here.

Edited by s10129107

What are they going to call the sequel.

Metal Gear Rising : ReRevengance.

It's time to Revengence... All over again!

Posted by Moonling

you can tap the button to quickly throw grenades and such rather than having to take time to aim with it

Online
Posted by ICantBeStopped

You guys quit loving Mondays?

Posted by WolfHazard

Yes this game turned out as awesome as I imagined!

Posted by apglazer

@icantbestopped: Monday was a holiday in the US, so I believe they had a long weekend?

Posted by rebgav

Some of the boss fights in this game look incredibly awesome. The general gameplay looks great. It even throws a bone to MGS fans with some "philosophical" wankery. End result? "It's too short, where is the stealth?"

I will be buying the hell out of this game. Another fine addition to the Platinum collection.

Edited by Ares42

@duffyside: No, it's not, because Jeff didn't plan out a route to play every level the fastest he could. It's his best times, when he played through the game, once (or maybe twice?). Those times aren't anywhere close to what a speedrun will have.

I'm not saying the game needs to be longer or anything, but we should acknowledge that a $60 game that only has about 4 hours of gameplay on your first playthrough is a short game, not "standard".

Posted by SomeJerk

In the 80's one kid threw his copy of Contra out after finishing it once.

That kid grew up (physically at least) and posted on this QL to complain about the length of this game.

Forever making the rest of us smile and feel that maybe our lives aren't that dull after all.

Posted by Blimble

@ares42 said:

@duffyside: No, it's not, because Jeff didn't plan out a route to play every level the fastest he could. It's his best times, when he played through the game, once (or maybe twice?). Those times aren't anywhere close to what a speedrun will have.

But other games like DMC and Bayonetta are close to that when you take out cut-scenes and take out the time when you played a bit died and restarted.

And still the game is made to be replayed to get better at the combat, get better scores and better times plus there a load of VR missions to play on top of that. The game has the normal amount of content for this type of game

Posted by AlKusanagi

Wow... This does not look anywhere near 4 stars...

Edited by Tr0n

Looks ... boring.

Posted by Hyuzen

Anyone else finding this very hard to actually watch? The video is getting MAD pixel-y and very low resolution

Posted by The_Nubster

Quinton Flynn is a pretty good voice actor but kind of sounds the same in most of his video game roles. His cartoon work is a little better (His roles on My Life as a Teenage Robot spring to mind as an example.)

And his role as Axel in KH is basically the exact same as this, but it fits better in KH than it does here.

Edited by rethla

I dismissed this game a long time ago but i changed my mind after watching this.

All from the precise swordcontroll and slicing madness to the crazy secret arms hunt i love it!

eidt: Also Ninjarun!!!!!

Edited by antime

You say the game gets weird because it gets cursy? Imagine how weird it would get if instead it got... Swery.

Edited by Ares42

@blimble said:

@ares42 said:

@duffyside: No, it's not, because Jeff didn't plan out a route to play every level the fastest he could. It's his best times, when he played through the game, once (or maybe twice?). Those times aren't anywhere close to what a speedrun will have.

But other games like DMC and Bayonetta are close to that when you take out cut-scenes and take out the time when you played a bit died and restarted.

I don't really have any more clever answer to this than, no. But no real point in arguing about it. Been sorta watching a stream of it being played on hard for a few hours, and it seems like the challenge more than makes up for the lack of content.

Posted by Scrawnto

@giantadenoid: It is, or was rather. It's been obsolete for a hundred years now, but it was once in Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary.

Posted by MarkWahlberg

Did it seem like Brad was going to say that the strung up balls Raiden takes for life looked like anal beads?

They did appear to be dangling from that man's buttocks when he asked, so yes.

Posted by Blimble

@ares42 said:

@blimble said:

@ares42 said:

@duffyside: No, it's not, because Jeff didn't plan out a route to play every level the fastest he could. It's his best times, when he played through the game, once (or maybe twice?). Those times aren't anywhere close to what a speedrun will have.

But other games like DMC and Bayonetta are close to that when you take out cut-scenes and take out the time when you played a bit died and restarted.

I don't really have any more clever answer to this than, no. But no real point in arguing about it. Been sorta watching a stream of it being played on hard for a few hours, and it seems like the challenge more than makes up for the lack of content.

That's one of the things that people have been saying. That final screen doesn't record total play time, if you die the timer resets up to the last check point

Posted by Nottle

@ares42 said:

4 hours is the average action game ? When did we start removing an hour for every year that goes ?

When were you playing action games that were 16 hours long? Most people can probably get through God of War and Devil May Cry in 5 hours. Character action games are never that long if they are designing the game right. They are meant to be extremely skill based, exciting, short, and have some amount of replay ability.

Also with cutscenes this game is probably much longer than 5 hours. Think about any Metal Gear game, you are absorbing story info as much or more than you are sneaking around.

  • 183 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4