367 Comments
Posted by Gruff182

A very PC design sounding game on console, interesting. Like the idea, can't see me getting into a shooter like this on console though.

Edited by VargasPrime

@zudthespud said:

Looks really cool, it will be a real shame if it's not on PC.

Some other outlets are reporting that they are all but admitting that it will be on PC. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Like this one

Posted by EXCellR8

"So what do we do since we can't seem to write a good story??"

"Meh, we'll just have the players do that part..."

...seriously nobody can just write good stories for games anymore. Probably the reason why there are so many shallow 10% single player, 90% multiplayer games on the market nowadays.

Edited by fisk0

@vargasprime said:

@zudthespud said:

Some other outlets are reporting that they are all but admitting that it will be on PC. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Like this one

I wonder if they could be doing the Battlefield 2 thing, where the console and PC versions were very different - but in this case maybe the PC version will be the same game that PS4/362 will get, and remains unannounced because these consoles are.

Posted by Arath

@fisk0 said:

@vargasprime said:

@zudthespud said:

Like this one

I wonder if they could be doing the Battlefield 2 thing, where the console and PC versions were very different - but in this case maybe the PC version will be the same game that PS4/362 will get, and remains unannounced because these consoles are.

Or maybe it's just not, you know, coming to the PC. The assumptions in the Penny Arcade article are a bit beyond ridiculous. It could be that Bungie are intent on controlling the experience to such a degree that they are not interested in releasing the game on the PC, or that Activision sees some overlap with Blizzards own MMO market dominance and would rather that there be no competition between these two potential behemoths.

If it was coming to the PC why would they just not go ahead and say so? If an obvious next generation game like Watchdogs and Star Wars 1313 can say High End PC, there is no reason not to just say it is coming to the PC, unless it's just not.

Posted by paulwade1984

I've heard this game described by bungie in the press release after the leak as a more juvenile halo.

Halo for for kids if you will.

So an MMO for kids. count me out.

Also the presentation of Bungie employee's in those pictures... Is Bungie a fucking modelling agency? wtf is that shit?

Edited by Nardak

I knew that Jeff is a prophet. Though never would have guessed that predicting the future requires one to be withouth pants.

On a more serious note. No pc version? Shame on you Bungie.

Posted by DjDonFrancisco

Destiny sounds like a game. Yup. Check out that concept art guys.

Posted by Tesla

I like the concept, hopefully they can deliver.

Posted by tindrum

I wonder if Bungie is being so adamant about not bringing this to PC because Activision doesn't want it to interfere with Blizzard's next MMO (which was rumored to be some sort of FPS)?

Posted by triviaman09

@white said:

Sounds like they're making Space Borderlands. But with cosmetic armor and an always-online component.

Isn't regular Borderlands "Space Borderlands?"

Edited by MisterCrow

I love the title of this video so much. One of the many reasons why GB is so great.

Edited by LikeaSsur

@excellr8 said:

"So what do we do since we can't seem to write a good story??"

"Meh, we'll just have the players do that part..."

...seriously nobody can just write good stories for games anymore. Probably the reason why there are so many shallow 10% single player, 90% multiplayer games on the market nowadays.

To be fair, it's ridiculously difficult to write a good story, let alone in a video game. Books, TV shows, and movies can basically take you from one important event to the next, making it seem better than it probably is, but video games have to have a lot of filler in between the events.

All in all, though, I already have Borderlands, so if Bungie just makes that with a lobby/town, then no thanks.

Posted by Snakepond

Boring. Where's the hands on game play videos Bungie? That's what the reviewers and consumers want. Not a company tour of your facility. What a waste of time.

Posted by SpikeDelight

Is anyone else getting intermittent audio cutouts?

Posted by omdata

"A Grown Man In His Underwear Tells You About Destiny"

This is why I stopped buying stuff off Craigslist...

Posted by Vexxan

This is the best way to deliver video game news.

Posted by fowlerj

Jeff I love your insight and perspective. Thanks for the honesty too. This is why I come to Giantbomb.

Posted by mpgeist

The Destiny logo looks like a codpiece.

Edited by HerbieBug

@fiberpay said:

@herbiebug said:

Man... they flew in a bunch of journalists to see a press event that contained a some loosely defined ideas of things that may or may not be in the game and some concept art? This is press release stuff, Bungie. You make a website for this sort of thing. You don't need to pull out all the razzamatazz until you've got something for realsies to show, yeah? No?

Nope some game journo's actually got to see the game running. Check out gametrailers.

Man... that's shitty.

Posted by SpicyRichter

Jeff's hair is blowing my MIND in this video. Why does everything gotta be multiplayer only these days? Am I the only one who deals with people all day at work and wants a little time to them self when playing games?

Edited by SpicyRichter

I bet EA thought that the old republic would be popular for 10 years too

Posted by Krullban

JEFFS HAIR

Posted by chilibean_3

I wonder what makes this different from MMOs of the past or Guild Wars or Borderlands or any other kind of game that's springing to my mind when Jeff talks. It doesn't seem all that ambitious to me but maybe I'm just not getting the picture that Jeff is painting.

Edited by Seb

I find it hard to believe i'll play any game for 10 years.

Posted by Duh_ave

I was wanting something a little more different from Destiny, even after they announced it as a sci fi game. I suppose I shouldn't have expected things to be that distant. I like Marty O'donnell's music, but the stuff in the vidoc just sounds like another halo game.

Audio issues in the video became somewhat annoying, though. Hope Jeff gets that sorted out.

Edited by spiketail

Hmmm... 10 year gameplan. Can they pull it off? Given how much Halo in it's various incarnations is still being played, I would say yes. Bungie sounds like they are being incredibly ambitious, which I hope will be great for inspiring other developers to try for other grand scale projects.

As a PC gamer, I would hope that Bungie will also have a PC/Mac version. But as this seems very early in the hype process, I'll join the wait & see crowd. And if there is no PC version, meh. There are plenty of other games that will most likely grab my attention by the time Destiny actually comes out.

I am AMAZED Jeff didn't mention PSO/PSU while describing Destiny, as that was the only game I kept thinking about the entire time.

Or Borderlands with MMO like hubs.

Had the same thought! Never played PSO or PSU, but it sounded very much like it.

Posted by xxNBxx

No PC? No Care.

Edited by Devil240Z

The online stuff sounds like Armored core 5....

Posted by Lukeweizer

Good to see that Bungie is breaking those Halo shackles and making an FPS about Aliens invading earth, a large, round-shaped artifact and playing some type of super-soldier.

Posted by Woowookins

Is it just my computer or are there random audio cut outs?

Me too.

Posted by SpacePenguin

@marekkpie said:

Is it just my computer or are there random audio cut outs?

Me too.

Jeff mentioned on his twitter that he was using a new mic which gave better sound quality, but for some reason the audio would drop randomly.

Edited by GaspoweR

Destiny is intriguing...but i came to watch Jeff talk with only his underwear on primarily.

Edited by GaspoweR

Destiny is intriguing...but i came to watch Jeff talk with only his underwear on primarily.

Posted by KalAl

Sounds like Jeff has a noise gate turned on with the threshold set too high.

Posted by Patman99

It sounds really interesting. I think the idea that other players will swoop in to help sounds really cool. My Dark Souls self hopes that there will be some antagonistic pvp but regardless this game moved from zero to ten on my awesome scale.

Posted by chrishardyblue

I'm with Jeff, kind of hard to get excited about concept art. Most games don't get on my radar until I can see actual game play.

Edited by Zamir

so it's a sequel to Brink

Posted by gogosox82

So its a mmofps like planetside 2 but on consoles except they don't wanna call it that b/c dudebros don't like mmos is what i'm taking from it. And no gameplay whatsoever? Lame. Gameplay or gfto. Yeah the concept art looks nice and all but i really want to see what it plays like and how everything works. It also sounds like its not gonna be on this generation. I mean, maybe they will put out on ps3 and 360 but will they actually support it especially if most people play on ps4/durango. Also not on pc? It seems like this game is made for the pc so its odd that its not going to be on the pc.

Posted by meaninoflife42

Speak your wisdom, O mighty underwear man!

Edited by peritus

Kind of interested now.

Posted by Agnosticwatermelon

I'm so tired of class based FPS games...

Posted by Funkydupe

@probablytuna: There's absolutely no guarantee we'll be interested in this IP even 5 years from now. It is a pretty far out there statement to say that you expect this to still be relevant a decade from now. Imagine all the IPs and titles coming our way within that frame of time. It is way better for them to show confidence in their own ability to maintain and improve this than the opposite though. I have to say it has to be pretty special; and they've had one of those already in Halo and judging by Halo 4 that is starting to somewhat fade away.

Edited by MSUSteve

How up your own ass do you have to be to provide pictures of your fucking office in the asset package for the reveal of your game? About as up your own ass as Bungie is, obviously.

Honestly, I can see this as something Luke Smith would've snorted at with derision back in the old 1upYours podcast days and now he's part of it.

Edited by PenguinDust

Jeff, Jeff, you're a grown man closing in on 40. You don't need to be drinking from a jelly jar...unless it's moonshine.

As for Bungie's next big project, well I don't know. I mean I know more today than I did yesterday, but I still really don't know anything.

Posted by TehJedicake

holy shit that new auto resume player is incredible.

Posted by patrick5152003

meh

Edited by Iodine

It really is

holy shit that new auto resume player is incredible.

Posted by Masakari

Everyone has described this as "Borderlands" like, but from all Jeff said, the way everything seems to be setup is just like Phantasy Star Online.