168 Comments
  • 168 results
Posted by ms_papercut

Damn, over 4000 songs later and it's finally coming to an end. RIP Rockband. Good times were had.

Posted by Bgrngod

I played Rock Band all of once, and it never hooked me. I had no idea Harmonix was doing this with DLC.

That's a whole insane level of dedication that I wish was the norm. Much respect. I might have to buy Dance Central 3.

Posted by Cthulad

I will always enjoy you. So much great music I can play to, or sing with. Will be sad no more DLC, but there still are a load of songs to search through. Found many a band I listen to regularly from the DLC, and games.

Posted by Xpgamer7

Coming next generation. The Ultimate Rock band collection. "Re-mastered for your pleasure."

But most likely not for a good long while until it's nostalgia play if ever. Plastic instruments are expensive.

Posted by georgeygeorge

5 years of weekly DLC is quite the example. I hope that in the future more developers follow Harmonix' lead.

Posted by HellknightLeon

GG guys. Good work keeping it fresh for so long. You'er good in my book.

Posted by jbuchan76

YEAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! I'm tried of seeing that crap listed as first 10 items in the 'New' DLC listing..

Edited by papercut

What's going to be the last song!

Posted by atholm

Bummer.

We still play it during lunch break at the office and follow new releases to purchase ever so often.

I still have a list of artists, tracks that I hope to see as DLC, like Led Zeppelin, so not many weeks left to cross out my list.

Edited by TPoppaPuff

This sucks. I still check and buy stuff regularly. Hell, I bought two songs just last week. I understand it wasn't the most profitable, but that they said they currently have nothing Rock Band related in the works is just dumb. Honestly they could have made one more game for the 360/PS3/720/PS4 and it would have sold well enough to justify it. I mean honestly they're going to keep making crappy-ass Dance Central DLC? Why? Nobody buys that DLC, especially at $3 a pop. The worst thing is that it sounds like they killed Rock Band just so they could pursue new games. I don't want new games from Harmonix. Those games are dumb. I bought Blitz but never played it. Bought it purely for the songs. What are they going to create now? MORE abstract nonsense with some newer shitty techno-dance music or shitty techno-dance remixes of B-sides just like their older games? The reason those games sold anything more than 10,000 copies because the bar for rhythm games was set so damn low that simply being playable made Frequency and Amplitude unparalleled in their genre. Now that everybody has had a taste for good rhythm games nobody should want to go back to the inevitable shit that will be released. I refuse to buy another Harmonix game unless its DLC is compatible with Rock Band. What's the point if I can't enjoy it? And its not like their next game couldn't be compatible, we already know if they aren't given a $150 device(s), they're just going to make Frquency again for the umpteenth time. I just hope when their next games fail and they inevitably shut down because Dance Central DLC is a financial sinkhole that somebody with some sense buys the rights to the Rock Band name and library and they realize that three years from now people will be receptive to a new Rock Band game using their old instruments or new cheap instruments without the insane markup Harmonix/EA had originally been guilty of that they have a potential wealth of income in those 4000+ songs just waiting to be bought.

Posted by Libb

As sad as this is, at least I'll be able to attend the going away party for Rock Band at the Brattle Theater before PAX East. I expect there to be much craziness and a touch of sadness in the air.

Posted by Nettacki

@branthog said:

Let this be an end to the rhythm game genre.

NEVER! RHYTHM GAMES WILL NEVER DIE!

Posted by HeyImPhoenix

Nooooooo!

Posted by Godzilla_Sushi

Best post-release DLC support this console generation by far. I just bought like 10 songs last week. My only concern is what happens to everything 5 years from now.

Posted by m2cks

This is goodbye, Harmonix (at least for now!). With whatever new project they might make next, I'll be there to support them wholeheartedly. I bought way too much DLC to ever admit, but throughout these years I've had an immense amount of fun with their games; here's to you!

Posted by Tyrax

Nick Chester did this! This would have never happened if they didn't get rid of that last community manager

Posted by Mercer

Guess it's time for ol' Rock Band to be taken out behind that big red barn in Harmonix back yard..

Posted by forteexe21

They are obviously just escaping from the fans cause of the lack of Muse.

Posted by hott8bitaction

Great run for these guys! Still can't believe that they made DLC for this long!

Posted by White

What about Rock Band 2?

Posted by JJWeatherman

Wow. What a run. This is sad, but admittedly inevitable. I'll likely never forget waiting up until the wee hours of the morning (while on vacation, mind you) to download Rush's Moving Pictures. Nothing stopped my Rock Band DLC.

Thanks for the effort and the memories, Harmonix. I look forward to your future ventures.

Posted by depecheload

They're not bringing anything people bought in this generation forward into the next generation of consoles. Got it!

How could they? Rumors are that the Durango will use a different wireless standard than the 360, and the PS4 won't even be backwards compatible with the PS3. And besides, you're not going to see a new Rock Band game anytime soon. So what's your point?

Edited by ch3burashka

They're not bringing anything people bought in this generation forward into the next generation of consoles. Got it!

Not much to ask you to keep your old stuff around. Are you seriously planning on dumping your 360/PS3 for the 720/PS4, despite the fact you'll be getting another two or three years of solid support for the former?

Posted by CaptRocketblaze

Edited by Golden

Goodbye my friends, I am still hoping to see you in the next generation.

Edited by probablytuna

I had a lot of fun playing Rock Band with my friends for a while. It was a pretty cool experience.

Posted by ManU_Fan10ne

@maajin said:

I think we all deserve a Rock Band TNT. Who's with me?

I'm with you.

Edited by Diablos102

Still waiting on "The Eagles - Hotel California" I cant imagine that is still and exclusive to the Guitar Hero franchise, oh and some Kamelot (The Black Halo Album) would've been nice, but thanks Harmonix for the years of supporting your game.

Posted by courage_wolf

Rock and Roll it will survive.

Posted by GreggD

Not sure if they could but that would be awesome! Appropriate right?

Already in The Beatles: Rock Band, so go get on that!

@dan_citi said:

Still can't play Pet Sounds, don't care. Also I always wanted to play some of The Doors' songs on there, not sure if they got around to that with RB3 seeing as how that game had the whole keyboard thing going for it.

Anyway people are posting sad songs so why not.

Basically all of The Doors' hits made it to RB3 in the first week of DLC for that game's release. The only one not there is The End, as some have pointed out as a good song to put in the last release. There may be others missing, but I've never been a huge Doors fan, so Iunno.

Posted by GreggD

@greggd said:

@smashecontrollers said:
@greggd said:
@fantomspower said:

@mysteriousbob said:

@zaphoduk said:

Thank Christ no more RB clogging up the Xbox store front.

I know, right? I had no idea people still bothered with this plastic instrument crap. Being told to press buttons like a slave isn't my idea of a fun game.

Uh, don't all games follow this basis? Press button(s) to preform some sort of action(s) in order to complete a given task.

Anyways, Rockband (et al) was good times in its prime. Rhythm games will never die, they are evolving with the industry. The rhythm is in all of us!

Exactly. All of you people saying you're glad it's gone, fuck you. I love Rock Band, so this news is super saddening.

Edit: Also, RBN will continue. So HAHA, the store will still be "clogged".

That more the fault of the awful Xbox Live Marketplace than Rock Band, so fuck off.

Did you ever read my post? I fucking love Rock Band, and I know it's the marketplace that's at fault for the cluttered nature of itself. So why should I fuck off?

Meant the other guys, sorry if I offended...

It's all good, thanks for clarifying. Just wasn't sure why I was being yelled at, is all. :)

Posted by Orange_Pork

Virtuoso is the greatest achievement I've ever unlocked. 4 hours of nonstop singing through every song on the disc, no pauses. Couldn't speak for the entirety of the next day. Totally worth it.

Posted by Djstawberryjam

Very sad, but makes sense really, at least RBN will still go on for a little longer! I do wonder if we will ever see another rockband, args I'm so mixed with emotions half angry half upset! I do hope for some good tracks before it all ends! at least now I can have a chance to start searching though some tracks I've might of missed!

Posted by FormulaDeuce

I remember when Alex posted about RB3 being $20 almost 2 years ago. I never got around to pick it up since at the time I had a stack of other games still in the shrink wrap, and regretted it ever since. Maybe I'll pick up Rock Band Blitz and see if that scratches that itch, or bite the bullet and start bidding on an ebay auction.

Posted by Ronald

Fuck. I was kind of hoping they would continue releasing DLC indefinitely. I always loved heading to the PSN store, buying $20-$50 worth of songs, and then rocking the night out several times per year. What am I supposed to do now for New Year's?

Edited by Dan_CiTi

Still can't play Pet Sounds, don't care. Also I always wanted to play some of The Doors' songs on there, not sure if they got around to that with RB3 seeing as how that game had the whole keyboard thing going for it.

Anyway people are posting sad songs so why not.

Posted by sopachuco13

I wonder how the licensing works out. Do the old licensing deals just end or will they still pay licensing? Does this signify the end of their licensing deal?

Posted by Snail

@gatorsurfer: That song is already available for The Beatles Rock Band. You can buy the whole Abbey Road album.

Posted by Snail

How sad.

Electric Light Orchestra would be neat. I want to play Genesis songs on Rock Band. ):

I hope this genre makes a comeback, so we can get more awesome songs on these games.

Posted by skrutop

Man that's crazy. Hopefully Harmonix will find another way for us to use the DLC that we bought.

Posted by Deusoma

I'm not sure why anyone would assume this is an end to the rhythm game genre, given that Dance Central and company are all rhythm games.

There is absolutely going to be at least one 'plastic instruments' game for the next generation of consoles, because really, how could there not be? :P

Edited by CptBedlam

THANK GOD....got real tired of seeing nothing but rockband songs everytime i go to see what new add ons are out.

As others have already pointed out: this is the fucking stupidest complaint. Go and whine to MS about it. They are responsible for the dashboard structure.

Posted by dvorak

After five years on the East Coast, it was time to come home.

Posted by CronoXtream

THANK GOD....got real tired of seeing nothing but rockband songs everytime i go to see what new add ons are out.

Edited by CptBedlam

Livestream (featuring John Drake): http://www.twitch.tv/harmonixmusic

edit: PAX Panel coming up with lots of inside information reveals (why certain bands didn't appear etc)

Posted by Sanity

And to this day i'v never played any of these games, just not my cup of tea i suppose.

Posted by PerfidiousSinn

I don't understand why people complain about Rock Band DLC clogging the "new releases" on Xbox Live's "Add-On Content" section. Are there really that many people checking this menu consistently to see all the new DLC available for every game?

If you're looking for a piece of DLC for a specific game, there are much better ways to look it up than going into "New Releases" and searching through everything.

Posted by Maajin

Why is this news? A incompetant developer who lies to it's fans, to the point of extortion ("buy this Nickelback DLC guys we swear we'll return it with cooler DLC") is ending production of a massive rip off in the game industry. It's not news, it's a epitaph for Harmonix. Label it correclty or is your BIAS getting in the way again Alex hmmmmmmmm?

Those Nickelback songs are pretty good, I bought them because of that! =)

Posted by Gatorsurfer

Not sure if they could but that would be awesome! Appropriate right?

Posted by SmasheControllers

@greggd said:

@smashecontrollers said:
@greggd said:
@fantomspower said:

@mysteriousbob said:

@zaphoduk said:

Thank Christ no more RB clogging up the Xbox store front.

I know, right? I had no idea people still bothered with this plastic instrument crap. Being told to press buttons like a slave isn't my idea of a fun game.

Uh, don't all games follow this basis? Press button(s) to preform some sort of action(s) in order to complete a given task.

Anyways, Rockband (et al) was good times in its prime. Rhythm games will never die, they are evolving with the industry. The rhythm is in all of us!

Exactly. All of you people saying you're glad it's gone, fuck you. I love Rock Band, so this news is super saddening.

Edit: Also, RBN will continue. So HAHA, the store will still be "clogged".

That more the fault of the awful Xbox Live Marketplace than Rock Band, so fuck off.

Did you ever read my post? I fucking love Rock Band, and I know it's the marketplace that's at fault for the cluttered nature of itself. So why should I fuck off?

Meant the other guys, sorry if I offended...

• 168 results