168 Comments
  • 168 results
Posted by Rox360

Still haven't ever touched a Rock Band game. Still intending on getting Rock Band 3 whenever my financial and social life can support such a project. In a way it almost relieves me when a game stops updating, because it lets me go into it without a doubt about what it's going to be. Everything I could get is already there, so I can pick and choose without wondering if I should wait for more updates.

I just hope someone still even carries Rock Band 3 by the time I get around to it... Otherwise that will surely end up one of my greatest regrets in life. Just like never having gotten the chance to play Steel Battalion

Posted by MarkHawk

I'm all for RB TNT as well. I'm really upset to not be checking in for my weekly fix.

Posted by Blackout62

So "The End" by The Doors? That apt enough for final DLC?

Posted by Butano

Never owned a Rock Band game, but nevertheless the series is my favorite co-op game of all time. Enjoyed hours upon hours playing it with a group of friends, each specializing a different instrument.

Posted by bitchypixels

I never really got into the whole plastic instrument movement, but damn that's a great run. I'm sure they'll be missed somewhere.

Posted by Vigorousjammer

Wouldn't it be crazy if they closed it out with Zeppelin?
but, yeah... I realized a long time ago that'll NEVER happen.
At least not until the surviving members all passed away... and well, since they're still alive & kickin' and the DLC is going to be dead & buried, I think it's safe to say we'll never see Zeppelin DLC for Rock Band... or any plastic instrument game, it seems.

Posted by ajamafalous

The only plastic instrument game I've ever owned was Guitar Hero 3. I've always wanted to buy RB3, but I just don't have any room in my apartment. Here's to hoping the game and instruments are still available in a year when I graduate and move.

Posted by Gnubberen

@alex: As a guy who has been listening to a lot of ELO lately, I'm totally crossing my fingers too. Would be awesome with a bit of Evil Woman, Don't Bring Me Down, and Mr. Blue Sky of course.

Edited by AngriGhandi

The Rock Band games are unquestionably the most fun I've ever had playing video games with other people.

Public opinion might have turned and burned for any of a hundred understandable reasons, but the hearts of the true will never sour to the sheer goofy joy of making fake music with the ones you love.

And if it takes a generation or more, whenever some wild-eyed dreamer decides the public is ready to experience that joy for themselves again, I will be there, ready to rock. Grey beard and all.

Until the band gets back together, my friends.

\m/

Posted by GS_Dan

Better to get into now than ever. Instruments can be found for next to nothing and nearly all DLC is 50% off at the moment :D

Posted by WolfHazard

Thank god the xbl marketplace add ons will no longer be cluttered with this crap. I never understood why people liked these games anyway.

Posted by JJOR64

Now that is dedication. Good shit to those guys for doing it this long.

Posted by Creamypies

Although I haven't downloaded a new song on that service for a good while now, it's still quite sad to think it's finally coming to an end. You had a good long run Harmonix!

So is that it for good? No more plastic instruments? Is that officially dead now?

Posted by MikkaQ

Rock Band ended for me when my fake drums finally gave out and I couldn't for the life of me find a replacement set.

The funny thing is, I never got sick of it like anyone else, so if I could just get some of those drums in good working order I'd go back to playing till my hands bled.

Posted by CptBedlam

Thanks for the games and the fantastic support, HMX. It's been a great ride and you know what... I'm gonna ride on and I'll have tons of more hours of fun with RB3!

I know it's not in production right now but here's hope that we'll get a RB4 for the next-gen consoles at some point.

Edited by LameImpala

Yes, Hum would be great indeed... @alex, do you know something we don't?? I hope you do.

@rox360: Instruments are pretty expensive now that they're not being made anymore, though the Madcatz online store has a decent enough deal for a band bundle.

Posted by Alex

@bananashirt: I wish that was me having some on-the-sly foreknowledge of things to come, but sadly it is not. Just wishful thinking.

Posted by HatKing

Sweet, the Xbox Live Marketplace 'new add-ons' section will finally be useful.

Posted by ManicMyna

so much for rock band 4 rumours then

Posted by TheLawnWrangler

I just want Blinded by the Light. Is that so much to ask for?

Also, I miss Rock Band. I need to find a drum-set for cheap.

Posted by KelpPlankton

It's like an era of my life coming to an end. RIP Rock Band. You were the best, and always will be.

Posted by Chucklestyle

Best games ever. I still have people asking me when the next Rock Band night is at my house. I'm glad there will still be RBN releases to keep it moving.

Thanks for everything HMX. Thanks for teaching me how to play drums. Thanks especially for Beatles Rock Band.

Can't wait to see what's next!

Posted by CallMeTetris

Man, this shit is bumming me out.

Posted by TooWalrus

Let it be.

Posted by Lozz

@maajin said:

I think we all deserve a Rock Band TNT. Who's with me?

Totally with you! That would be great.

Edited by SuperJoe

I used to check the Rock Band blog weekly for new DLC, but haven't bought any since the Creedence pack. Now I just play the drums by myself regularly, and only sing when company's over. Left my plastic guitars at the back of a Goodwill years ago.

Edited by Szlifier

4000 songs and no Money for Nothing...

Posted by Krataur

Whoa, that's weird. I was actually thinking just this morning how sad it will be when Rock Band DLC ends...and here we are. Sad but inevitable.

Posted by AlwaysBeClothing

It's been a long road.

Posted by fantomspower

I know, right? I had no idea people still bothered with this plastic instrument crap. Being told to press buttons like a slave isn't my idea of a fun game.

ghjghj

Edited by MattyT
  • @tescovee: Expect to keep your current console. Harmonix has experienced problems with DLC compatibility on the WiiU console (They officially "recommend keeping your Wii as a Rock Band machine"). Now that they've wholly switched to new projects, it's safe to expect zero support for Rock Band games on the next gen of consoles.
Posted by fantomspower

@zaphoduk said:

Thank Christ no more RB clogging up the Xbox store front.

I know, right? I had no idea people still bothered with this plastic instrument crap. Being told to press buttons like a slave isn't my idea of a fun game.

Uh, don't all games follow this basis? Press button(s) to preform some sort of action(s) in order to complete a given task.

Anyways, Rockband (et al) was good times in its prime. Rhythm games will never die, they are evolving with the industry. The rhythm is in all of us!

Posted by GERALTITUDE

It's pretty impressive they never missed a week.

Edited by GreggD
@fantomspower said:

@mysteriousbob said:

@zaphoduk said:

Uh, don't all games follow this basis? Press button(s) to preform some sort of action(s) in order to complete a given task.

Anyways, Rockband (et al) was good times in its prime. Rhythm games will never die, they are evolving with the industry. The rhythm is in all of us!

Exactly. All of you people saying you're glad it's gone, fuck you. I love Rock Band, so this news is super saddening.

Edit: Also, RBN will continue. So HAHA, the store will still be "clogged".

Posted by Cybexx

Well I guess that answers the question of what happens to Rock Band DLC in the next generation.

Posted by Svenzon

I haven't bought any new songs in a good while now, but damn if I didn't feel a sting of sadness when I read this. Totally makes sense for them to quit now, with the new console generation looming on the horizon. Way to support your game, Harmonix! Hats off to you and I hope those last few songs are something completely awesome!

Edited by SmasheControllers

This saddens me more than it should, but than again looking back on this current generation, more than half my time was playing Rock Band games. Whether that was parties or just playing by myself, I wouldn't trade a moment of it.

Posted by SmasheControllers
@greggd said:
@fantomspower said:

@mysteriousbob said:

@zaphoduk said:

Exactly. All of you people saying you're glad it's gone, fuck you. I love Rock Band, so this news is super saddening.

Edit: Also, RBN will continue. So HAHA, the store will still be "clogged".

That more the fault of the awful Xbox Live Marketplace than Rock Band, so fuck off.

Posted by MechaShadow84

I was never a big fan of the Rock Band series. I'll be glad once all the weekly DLC clears up slots on the Xbox Live store. Having to search for new DLC that just came out for games other than Rock Band was ridiculous.

Posted by GalacticPunt

@alex said:

@bananashirt: I wish that was me having some on-the-sly foreknowledge of things to come, but sadly it is not. Just wishful thinking.

This would be a great turn-out-the-lights-farewell DLC. Talking about itchy bungholes while you play it would be purely optional.

Posted by OriginalHB504

I just wanted Hotel California on pro guitar tabs. But I understand they have licensing issues with that as well as most Metallica songs. I found learning to play guitar tabs on Rock Band 3 was much more fun and motivating than just reading tablature from a book. Not to mention the feeling you get when your playing online with pro guitar/pro drums/pro keyboard and everyone else is hammering away at 4 button plastic toys. Hopefully those songs come out on Rocksmith or something in the future.

Posted by natetodamax

I would pay money for Hum songs and I don't even own any Rock Band game.

Posted by natetodamax

I would pay money for Hum songs and I don't even own any Rock Band game.

Edited by Falconer

Off the top of my head, I think this is the perfect ELO song for Rock Band. I will also accept Calling America and Xanadu.

Posted by Krakn3Dfx

I can't remember the last time we hooked up the Rock Band stuff to play.

Having said that, apparently, given how long this went, they've had a good run of it. Maybe one day in the future, someone, even Harmonix perhaps, can revive the genre that Activision ran into the ground with the Hero series.

I look forward to DJ Rock Hero Band VR goggle based music games in the year 2028.

Posted by Winsord

Not surprised, sadly. They've been slowing down their DLC releases to singles on Blitz lately, and the schedule wasn't reaching out very far in advance anymore. While it kind of makes me sad, seeing as I still really like Rock Band 3 & Blitz, I also haven't bought any songs in over a year (purely due to song selection). It'll be interesting to see what Harmonix is up to next though, especially with the next generation of consoles right around the corner. If in the last few weeks here they put out some Modest Mouse songs or something else that I'd be interested in, I'll definitely still pick up the songs.

• 168 results