Posted by Juda

boom!

Posted by vandelay

Cool

Posted by Koolkirby

Excited to play this!

Edited by Eldredpe

That's a star rating I did not expect.

I won't even pretend I already read the review.

That actually sounds pretty cool. Vanquish is on PS+ today, so I think after giving that a round I'll have a better idea of what to expect out of Platinum combat and whether or not I'm into this.

Posted by MarkHawk

Oh wow, wasn't expecting 4 stars. Excited to see how it got there.

Edited by DarkbeatDK

Hack n slash!

@jeff You can stealth-kill into Zandatsu

Posted by FoxMulder

Enjoyed the demo, until the boss battle which was way above my combo based action game skills were at. I'll definately rent it for the MGS story stuff and play it on easy!

Edited by DockJaw

I'm awake and there's new content on the Internet! Thanks GiAN ttttyhjjbO- t a ROBOtttTtt!!t

Posted by Milkman

YEAR OF THE STYLISH ACTION GAME

Posted by Little_Socrates

Hm. Yeah, I'll check this out during the summer, then.

Posted by Trav

Good to see this turned out alright.

Edited by Qblivion

Sounds awesome, as expected from Platinum and KojiPro.

Posted by GS_Dan

Didn't see that coming.

Posted by JAVK

The video compression of the cutscenes in the Xbox 360 version is horrible. If you have the option of owning both platforms, I recommend picking up the PS3 version.

Posted by Solh0und

Nanomachines!

Edited by the_Hollow

So DmC is apparently a much better game and retains title as Giantbomb's GOTY 2013.

Wonder what future holds,probably no one will be able to beat DmC.

Edited by Stonyman65

4/5? Wow. Wasn't expecting that. From everything I've seen up to this point I was expecting a 2, maybe a 3 if you're lucky. I'll read the review and watch the quick look in the morning. It's 3AM on the East Coast now...

Posted by Yummylee

Well alritey then. I figured this would be another review where Jeff would appear to be somewhat hesitant with his praise despite the 4 stars, like his Halo 4 and Borderlands 2 reviews, or Ryan's Assassin's Creeds Revelations/3 reviews. But his writing portrays a lot of enthusiasm so this is a nice surprise!

I'll be curious to see how he weighs this and DmC together on the bombcast sometime.

Posted by illmatic19

I read "Raiden and his robot body" as "Raiden and his robot buddy". I am now sad there is no robot buddy.

Posted by Reisz

Cheers Jeff! looking forward to playing this next week. I'm kind of glad it's as short as it sounds, I fully intend to replay as much as possible to see everything there is, I'm kind of stoked I won't have to spend months doing it. Surprised to hear that a degree of Kojima style story telling survived I thought Platinum's bombast would have quelled that completely. Now to check out that QL. . .

Edited by alecsteazey

This review has me happily anticipating pulling out enemy spines for sustenance.

Posted by famicom601

Thanks for the review Jeff! Really excited to play this.

Edited by UberExplodey

:D!

Posted by kishinfoulux

I really, REALLY hate how the video player is on the right and not centered. Who thought that was a good idea?

Was also hoping for a slightly longer Quick Look as well, but this game doesn't seem to be that long so I guess that's fair.

Posted by kingjulesxii

Sounds like the perfect Redbox! Great to see this go up at midnight on the dot.

Posted by joshthebear

Did not see 4 stars coming. Will check out the QL when I wake up in the morning.

Posted by AzlamOrlandu

I'm busy with kids and work for most of my time. I have zero problem with a game being around 4-5 hours long.

Edited by Deusoma

@kishinfoulux: Well, if you're not watching it fullscreen, you're a crazy person anyway, so the location of the video player isn't that big a deal in the long run. ;-)

Posted by winstano

!

Agree with pretty much everything in the review, the game is a huge amount of fun. As a Metal Gear fan, it's insane nonsense that puts a smile on your face. I didn't go into things like the codec sequences etc, I just barrelled through the story, saving the story stuff for a second playthrough... If you like Platinum's style, and you also like Metal Gear, this game is a no-brainer. Brilliant.

Edited by Patman99

This seems like the perfect game a few months down the road when it's been knocked down a few bucks and there is nothing new coming out.

Edited by PoisonJam7

While I'm glad to see this game isn't a total disaster, I don't think I'll be picking it up as I expected to. Especially after reading about its length. Perhaps the Bombcast can sway me the other way, but it looks like I'll be waiting for the price to go down before trying this. And honestly, the demo didn't really impress me. Oh well, there are plenty of promising titles coming in March!

Posted by LiquidSwords

Just got back from a show and I got work tomorrow! Hell yeah I'm staying up to see some slice and dice!

Posted by Nettacki

I really, REALLY hate how the video player is on the right and not centered. Who thought that was a good idea?

Was also hoping for a slightly longer Quick Look as well, but this game doesn't seem to be that long so I guess that's fair.

there's an Embiggen button somewhere in there that centers and enlarges the player.

Edited by Sooty

I'm having a problem getting excited for any current gen games now that the next batch of consoles are looming.

Last of Us is looking good though.

Posted by Itwastuesday

THIS GAME LOOKS SO FUCKING COOL

Posted by Dallas_Raines

Since Redbox isn't carrying it, I doubt I'll ever play it. It's good to hear that the full game isn't as shitty as that demo, though.

Posted by Blimble

I don't see the length as that much of an issue seeing as these types of games are meant to be replayed on harder difficulties and trying to get better scores. I can see why that doesn't appeal to many people but there are also a load of VR missions to do as well which are whole new missions

I agree with everything else said though

Posted by randombattle

I have to laugh at DmC getting a perfect 5 and this getting a 4.

Posted by JJOR64

Might end up getting it when the price drops.

Posted by Strife777

Wooooo!

Posted by Nottle

Really glad to hear that Jeff liked it. I was the type of guy that played through Vanquish and Bayonetta several times, so the games length probably won't bother me as long as it's consistently good.

Posted by SharpShotApollo

Sounds like a lot of fun. Gonna be checking this out when it's $20-$30.

Posted by Lazyaza

Ahhh not the sort of game I'll play more than once I don't think so will wait till its cheaper. Seems fun though, yay Platinum.

Posted by KainCarver

Dynasty Warriors in 4 hours. Check.

(That comment will piss someone off)

Edited by 137

This will definitely be in my list of metal gear things to buy!

Edited by GetEveryone

Edit: I obviously wrote this before I was properly awake. I know Jeff doesn't mention a lack of dodge...

Just to confirm, the game does have a dodge mechanic.

Pressing jump + light attack offers a 4-directional dodge (depending on which direction the stick is being held).

It can be used to cancel out of virtually any attack, and (for those interested in the depths of the system) the front dodge can be cancelled into blade mode, making for some potentially crazy strings.

Here's a video someone uploaded detailing all this:

Can't wait for the actual release and to see what else people come up with. The system has a lot more flexibility than Jeff gives it credit for (though, I understand in a work environment there probably isn't time to play around with the intricacies of the system).

The parry button also doubles as block. If you press it early Raiden will block the attack and repel the enemy some distance from you. It's fairly reliable, too; useful for those who may struggle to actually get a parry out.

Posted by Cold_Wolven

So glad Jeff enjoyed the game I was worried Rising wouldn't do well but reviewers are loving it.

Posted by kishinfoulux

@nettacki said:

@kishinfoulux said:

there's an Embiggen button somewhere in there that centers and enlarges the player.

Ah thanks. That's just the ticket.