64 Comments
  • 64 results
Edited by Brackynews

@thepaleking said:

I would love to see you guys try out Artemis.

Seconded. It's Spaceteam for people with flight sticks and LAN parties.

I watched my campus gamer's club play this a couple weeks ago. First time I'd heard of it. I was all "why is the projector on? why is that asshole barking orders... oh." He's the captain type though. ;)

Edited by Mezentius

As a current EA employee, I wanted to flesh out a bit from the article.

The restriction against working on game related IP as an employee is frustrating and as far as I know ubiquitous amongst the larger publisher/developers (please correct me if I am wrong in that assessment . As part of your initial employee contract you can typically declare existing IP of yours to be exempted from that rule, but going forward EA could claim ownership of anything you create as an employee outside of what you initially declare as existing IP. There are, at least at EA, processes in place to allow you to work on independent projects if you want, but there is no guarantee that your request will be approved. While I do find this stifling, there are valid reasons behind clauses like these, not the least of which being your access to privileged information that could give you a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Posted by Sweetie_Bot_V2

This game sounds like a lot of fun, I wish I had an IOS device to play it on.

Posted by michaelfossbakk

Curious as to why, in the new site design, the actual article cuts off a bit of the header image.

Posted by Tarsier

now he can make a new game and it will get hype because its 'by the guy who made spaceteam' and he can sell that one for trillions!

Posted by tumes

Amazing game. Considering it's a) free and b) took 3 months to make, it's damn near the most fully baked concept/execution I've ever encountered. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

Posted by GrantHeaslip
Posted by medication

that shit is cool.

Edited by senkir

Definitely some good advice in there. I think having the ability to work on side projects is a must as a developer of any kind.

Unfortunately, I still have not gotten to play spaceteam since I don't have any ios devices, but the friends I have told about it are in love.

As such, a port to Android would definitely be awesome. I think I'm going to have to start contracting myself out to build ports of ios apps I like.

Posted by beepmachine

@patrickklepek Awesome article, I was wondering where the hell this crazy game came from. Spaceteam made me really miss the in-person interaction you used to always get with older consoles, but now miss because everything is online.

BTW this sentence seems off:

"There is no singleplayer component to Spaceteam, but Spaceteam’s genius is easily it converting friends and family."

Posted by probablytuna

Even if Space Team is released on Android, I wouldn't have any friends interested in playing it :(

Posted by Wonloong

@bombedyermom: You and me both! When I got to the Play Store after getting a new Android phone and finding no matches on it, I was bummed out.

Posted by Psychohead

Dude! Galaxy Trucker is fucking sick. I'd love to see a video game take on that idea. Kinda surprised it was his inspiration, as Spaceteam really felt a lot more like Space Alert. (Which is also fucking sick. Perhaps fucking sicker, even.)

Edited by Sooty

The problem with this game is it's only fun the first few times.

Posted by Funkyhamster

This game is wonderful. Just tried it out while hanging out with some friends, none of whom are hardcore gamers, and we had a blast. This is what casual games should aspire to be.

Edited by ms_papercut

Aw man, this is the only time I've ever actually wanted a smartphone. Once this phone that I've had for 6 years finally dies, I will crawl out of the dark ages, buy an iphone and get this game!

Posted by Noogy

This is a fascinating story, @patrickklepek. I've loved the term 'tip jar' in reference to the IAP in previous podcast, and applaud his decision to keep the game free. I sadly haven't had a chance to try Spaceteam yet (mainly because it's hard getting a group of iOS-owning friends together), but it's easily one of the most interesting multiplayer experiences I keep hearing about.

Best of luck to Smith, I hope his endeavor turns out to be a financially productive one!

Posted by MormonWarrior

Can't wait to try it out. It's too bad my friends and family all seem to lean more to Android than iOS so...I hope I can find people to play it with.

Edited by bombedyermom

Can't wait till it's on android. This is the single thing that made me briefly wish I had an iphone.

Posted by Xavis00

The instant I saw the quick look for this game, I checked the Google Play store and was sad to find it was iOS only... So I really hope he ports it to Android. And if there is some way to make it possible for Android and iOS users play together, that'd be even better!

Edited by bvilleneuve

@smcn said:

@bvilleneuve said:

@allison said:

@bvilleneuve: This is more a problem with the video game industry total and less of just EA.

You are expected to work 9-5 every day of the week on THIS ONE video game, and typically working overtime every single day as well. Video game colleges coach you in the ways of working at "crunch time" while you're taking courses so that you're conditioned to this well into working for a company to produce a video game. There's a reason that so many people burn out in their 30's and have to retrain themselves in something far more sustainable.

Independent work? Not so much unless you either teach yourself, or work with programs people have already made.

I guess this is more a rant on how making video games is a glorified factory job.

You're right, I shouldn't have singled out EA. The problem of fucked up working conditions is something that most of the big video game industry is accountable for.

Is it any different for other entertainment industries? Life of Pi grossed $583 million and was nominated for best visual effects, yet Rhythm & Hues Studios had to file for bankruptcy.

Behind the scenes people get zero respect in entertainment, and video games are 99% behind the scenes people.

I'm not even talking about respect, I'm talking about basic ethical employment practices, something that seems to have largely eluded the video game industry up to this point. Film actually passed through a comparable period decades ago, and things got way better creatively after the big studios lost their stranglehold and weren't able to control things as much anymore.

Posted by OriginalYellow

@thepaleking: That game seemed so horribly impenetrable the two times ive played it with a few friends.

On another note, this reminds me i need to add to that tip jar.

Posted by smcn

@bvilleneuve said:

@allison said:

@bvilleneuve: This is more a problem with the video game industry total and less of just EA.

You are expected to work 9-5 every day of the week on THIS ONE video game, and typically working overtime every single day as well. Video game colleges coach you in the ways of working at "crunch time" while you're taking courses so that you're conditioned to this well into working for a company to produce a video game. There's a reason that so many people burn out in their 30's and have to retrain themselves in something far more sustainable.

Independent work? Not so much unless you either teach yourself, or work with programs people have already made.

I guess this is more a rant on how making video games is a glorified factory job.

You're right, I shouldn't have singled out EA. The problem of fucked up working conditions is something that most of the big video game industry is accountable for.

Is it any different for other entertainment industries? Life of Pi grossed $583 million and was nominated for best visual effects, yet Rhythm & Hues Studios had to file for bankruptcy.

Behind the scenes people get zero respect in entertainment, and video games are 99% behind the scenes people.

Posted by forteexe21

Awesome game, lost my voice multiple times. Always die cause of the mistranslation problem.

Posted by Y2Ken

Interesting to hear from him, Spaceteam is a really cool idea; and one which works so well because it's free, meaning convincing friends to try it is simple.

Thanks for posting this, Patrick.

Posted by ThePaleKing

I would love to see you guys try out Artemis.

Posted by bvilleneuve

@allison said:

Posted by machinerebel

Ah yes, I definitely want an Android version! My house is split 50/50 iphone/Android but I would love it if we could all play.

Posted by Grilledcheez

"You don’t have to be into “games” to enjoy Spaceteam, you just have to enjoy screaming at other people. That's universal." - True dat haha. This game is one of the few reasons I would want an ios device.

Posted by FiestaUnicorn

Spaceteam now allows up to 8 players. I haven't tried it yet because that number of people scare me.

Edited by Bollard

@patrickklepek said:

Swapped that typo, thanks guys!

Also this:

“I don’t regret it at all,” he said. “It was pretty essentially to keep it free."

Not sure if your fault, or sic.

Also also, neat article, thanks. Interesting to hear from a guy who has worked on triple A going to the indie side.

Posted by Qwell

Just wanted to give a +1 for an android port please. Only my parents use IOS all the rest of my friends and family are on android and I've been wanting to try this ever since I heard about it.

Posted by Humanity

This is a fun read but I'd really enjoy more articles with developers of bigger games like Ken Levine for example. I don't know if GB or Patrick don't have enough pull for those sort of segments or if its just not his style. While these are some interesting reads I would enjoy a break from all this indy stuff for a while and maybe flip the script, getting some big name interviews in here. Or something akin to that Spec Ops spoilercast - there's nothing more fascinating to me than inside baseball talk with developers.

Posted by Little_Socrates

Made for a great New Year's Eve party favor. Super-fun.

Posted by mnzy

That one line about EA and how it changed his job at BioWare tells you so man things.

Posted by teh_destroyer

Poor Harvey Dent.

Posted by MrMazz

Man here I was hoping this was going to be about a new Star Trek Game =( O well this is better

Posted by HeavyDuty32

I love Galaxy Trucker! Building the ships is great, even when you realize you've left open ports on all directions and forgot to put in batteries to power your double lasers and space pirates BLOW YOU AWAY! Ah, good times.

Posted by Gaff

@shivoa: You may be reading a bit much into it? If I remember correctly, Patrick has stated multiple times that Henry Smith, or any developer for that matter (indie or not), deserves to be compensated for the work he put in it and for the fun he has provided Patrick.

On the other hand, other, less scrupulous developers have raised prices when their games have become popular.

And yes, @patrickklepek, that means I'm on to your agenda: campaigning for indie developers by highlighting their games and urging people to pay for them! Keep your politics away from GB!

Posted by Truitt

Thanks Patrick. As someone who played both Spaceteam and Joust on New Years Eve, and as an owner of Galaxy Trucker and other ridiculous board games, this article could not have hit my sweet spot more.

Posted by Allison

Posted by Sweetz

@jareda said:

@timestreamer said:

I hope that Android port becomes a reality.

That would be amazing. I know way more people with Android phones than I do people with iOS devices.

Same here. All of my friends but one are now using Android phones (and myself as well) - mainly due to screen size and price. I've wanted to play SpaceTeam since the Giant Bomb video, and was really hoping for an Android port.

My concern about this happening is that I don't know how good the Android tools are for making ad-hoc wireless networks (what I presume Spaceteam does to communicate between devices). I haven't seen a lot of stuff (or actually any, but I'm sure it must exist) on Android that does direct peer-to-peer communication between devices.

Edited by JayEH

really like these articles, keep them coming!

Edit: Yeah, its not uncommon for developers to be forbidden from making games for profit I believe. I know Notch said he could only make games that were free while he worked at his previous employer.

Posted by pupismyname

My girlfriend hated Spaceteam instantly, but I love it and recommend it to people as often as I can. Glad to hear it's doing well. Looking forward to more updates if the developer can spare the time.

Posted by DeathByWaffle

Somehow missed the Quick Look of this back in December, this game looks really cool!

Edited by bvilleneuve

It's super terrible that EA prevents people from working on personal projects on their own time. It's unnecessarily restrictive.

Posted by Duncecap

Dearly hope this finally makes an appearance on android. Refreshing to see a "social" game that doesn't imply that social = facebook/twitter integration.

Posted by mrsmiley

I have bought, and will continue buying, every "extra" that he includes with this game. I want to support this game because it's absolutely fantastic. The new 8-player mode he added (also for free) is amazing! Played with 7 players the other night and it was crazy!

Posted by iainfarrell

Spaceteam is glorious fun and I'm delighted to read that the creator seems to be such a thoroughly good egg :)

• 64 results