251 Comments
Edited by Rautapalli

Not impressed at all. The community stuff is cool and all, but none of it really makes me want to get the PS4 instead of continuing to upgrade my PC. They didn't really show us anything new, it's just a beefier console with a couple of handy community features. I can do all this on my PC already.

I guess it all depends on the price though... If it's much more than 300€ (which it probably will be), I'm not interested.

Also this document they just released has more in-depth specs:

CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics engine
Memory GDDR5 8GB

Posted by Grimluck343

Craziness! Zaniness!

Posted by Arx724
@fisk0 said:

Were they clear on backwards compatilibity other than the fact that it won't run PS3 games natively? Will it still do PS1 games like the PS2 and PS3 did, and possibly PS2 games? PS3's software emulated titles prove that PS2 games run quite well on that machine even after they removed the actual PS2 hardware from it (even though they opted for selling you the games again rather than just letting you buy the emulator and play your current PS2 DVD's), and surely the PS4 could run that emulator as well, considering this is a powerful x86 PC, and PC's have been able to emulate PS2 games for quite a few years by now.

I believe they said native PS3 support would be hit-or-miss, but the gaikai guys were working on a solution to make most(?) ps1/2/3 games playable even if they weren't natively supported.

Edited by infinite_zero00
@gerp said:

Do we know if all 8 GB of RAM are gddr5?

from the way they made it sound and the rumors, yes all of it gddr5, but given that it seems like thats gonna drive the price up considerably...that sort of technical wizardry doesn't generally come cheap.

This event was great but price is what I am worried about most. Sony and Microsoft started this generation with "more POWER, also .....games?" and Wii came out, undercut them both, had a gimmick and outsold them both handily. MS started pulling ahead of Sony in the states when they cut the price. If Microsoft comes out with half of the features at a competitive price ($349~400) and a "yeah we may get to those other features later" I think it will be a crippling blow to Sony. The tech behind the PS4 just seems so far ahead that its likely to be in the $500+ price range, that just seems like a bad move...to me at least, but what do I know?

Edited by Cold_Wolven

I was impressed overall and glad to see that the console is simply titled PS4 instead of Orbis or anything like that. E3 will be fun to watch this year to see what Microsoft will do as well as any more PS4 game announcements.

Posted by Devise22

This was a pretty interesting conference. Sony continues to pull some surprises out of it's hat. I honestly wasn't expecting this to be super long or to show a lot. This may as well of been a Pre E3 E3 conference. It showed almost just as much as we get from an E3 conference.

For the most part it was pretty good. Sony needs to continue it's commitment just games. Yeah it will have extra social features and all that other jazz but it needs to be a gaming console. It needs to get back to being the number one choice for hardcore gamers before it moves any other direction. Based on what they showed at this conference, I at least feel they have a chance. Which is a start.

The Blizzard thing was interesting. I got way more excited about it at first then until I realized it was going to be just Diablo. While Diablo 3 as an exclusive on PS3/PS4 is a good thing for Sony it would be even crazier to see Blizzard develop a new IP of some sort as an exclusive for PS4. Which if the Sony/Blizzard partnership can create that, then it'll be pretty big.

It makes me wonder what surprises Sony has in store for E3. We got some decent ones here including the announcement of new titles and even a new IP or two but if they can show more of that and get some more going on for their system at E3 they could have a good launch. We'll see.

Edited by Godzilla_Sushi

@asurastrike said:

I really wasn't all that impressed.

• I don't even touch DIablo 3 now, and I have it on PC.
  • Another Killzone game
  • Another inFamous game
  • Watchdogs, a third person shooter
  • Destiny, a first person shooter
  • An already shown Square Enix tech demo

My PC already looks better than current hardware, so I would rather see games doing something different, rather than just looking prettier.

This pretty much sums up my feelings about it as well. I really enjoyed the opening bits about powering down the console and turning it back on where you left off. I think instant playing in a storefront is amazing and I can't believe it's possible! But I come for the games, and unfortunately there wasn't enough new for me. I need new ideas and franchises. Developers are holding back for E3 and I get it. I want to see what everyone else has. The exclusives just aren't doing it like they did ten years ago.

I think when it comes to Drive Club, I know Turn 10 is ahead of that already. They have those features in their back pocket. Criterion is ready for it too. These studios aren't going to forget about anything Drive Club is bringing to the table.

Posted by SupernormalStep

laughing at the people who respond with "That was terrible, we didn't get to see what it looked like!" Because what is most important, is that the console matches my home decor.

Edited by Wraxend

Did anybody else notice how Randy Pitchford was skipped over when they did that developers reel? Thought it was odd how they showed him quickly but no name or studio then just cut to other footage as he talked. Maybe it's fallout from aliens?

Posted by Tetharion

@mcain99: it will have a 6x Blu ray drive. full specs here: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a_e.pdf

Edited by Undeadpool

Seems pretty damn alright. Tentatively excited. And thanks for the write-up, Alex, Googling PS4 has brought up SHOCKINGLY few actual write-ups of the event itself...

@sooty said:
@weezel42 said:

Microsoft is gonna tear sony up, again

Nope. Microsoft are now screwed because everything they announce will likely be similar to the PS4 inviting a much more tame response.

Unless Microsoft innovate in some way, but it'll have to top the streaming/sharing stuff and instant on/off Sony have already unveiled.

Considering we just passed the ANNOUNCEMENT event, I think it's a titsch premature to call this one either way.

Posted by Anim8td_fan

I didn't walk away with extreme excitement from this event but I always try not to have high expectations when it comes to Sony press events.

Posted by BonzoPongo

My home cities biggest newspaper thinks that everyone was outraged because Sony didn't show the actual console.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/technology/gaming/sony-set-to-launch-playstation-4-in-new-york/story-fn7bfruo-1226582304957

I on the other hand was pleasantly suprised.

Posted by Aetheldod

I was mistaken ... this is actually coming out this year D: Im speachless

Posted by ch3burashka

So, does this basically confirm The Last Guardian is dead? This would have been the perfect time to show it off and finally give a damn release date. I'm holding out hope for a end-of-conference showing at E3, but after that, I'm done with it.

Posted by Impossibilium

• Another Killzone game
  • Another inFamous game

My PC already looks better than current hardware, so I would rather see games doing something different, rather than just looking prettier.

And Watch Dogs yet again, was running on a PC for this demo.

Posted by Oombalan

I'll buy whatever the premium model is day one, knowing our luck in Australia though this is going to be $1000 console like the PS3 was at launch.

Posted by Rhinox

A "console reveal" without actually revealing the console or even touching on pricing. Nice work there, Sony.

I mean, yes what they did show is very interesting, certainly worth the discussion, but to have a presentation like this, you really should have at least shown the damn box. Buzz is good, but this could have all been done in a press release rather than an event.

Edited by j3ffro919

I'm trying to fight the urge to start earmarking funds to buy this at launch. I've been hosed by too many console launches, but man does it look enticing. I already got the tentative go ahead from my wife, though she could have been sarcastic. Better to ask forgiveness than permission, right?

Also, this may be the only thing I've read online about the PS4 that had a string of comments excited for it. Sometimes I forget that the GB community isn't all jaded dicks and many people actually like liking things. Good job everybody.

Posted by Max_Cherry

Microsoft has their work cut out for them.

Posted by LikeaSsur

• Another Killzone game
  • Another inFamous game

You're talking about video game industry problems, not Sony problems.

Posted by probablytuna

I was kinda expecting more to be honest. Maybe not more game showcases but a look at the console itself would've been nice.

Edited by Deathpooky

To me, the theme of the conference was "we know how we fucked up, and we know how Microsoft's fucking up now, so we're going to fix all that." Improved developer relationships and continue luring indies and making development easy. Simple UI designed to easily find things and showcase what you'd want to see, instead of eye-fucking you with an incomprehensible ad-laden UI upon launch. Easy background downloading and game streaming. Very impressed and hearing all that was almost more important to me than the games - they'll have games and most will be multiplatform.

Microsoft has some work to do to show why the new Xbox will correct the degradation of the platform over the last few years. The collapse of XBLA and destruction of their UI has been crazy. Combination of the crazy ad money they've been making and hubris of having the dominant console.

Edited by MeatSim

All that streaming tech has a lot of potential. The only games though that really got my interest are 3rd party games, and will be Multiplatform sooner or later.

Posted by jasonefmonk

Ahhhh! I'm so excited. I had high hopes for Sony to bring their game, and they did much better than I expected. I am a lot more excited for next-generation systems now that I've seen this.

Edited by Veektarius

Easy to be impressed when only one company has made its move. Even so, Sony didn't exactly fall on its face. Microsoft had better hope it came prepared for Sony to bring their A game... but I suspect they did.

Posted by RetroVirus

I was really impressed with it all. This was one of the best possible outcomes for this conference, and they knocked it out of the park.

Posted by LucidDreams117

Very impressed. An excellent showing. PS3 took me off but now I'm back on board! Sony threw down today. Microsoft, your move. Just to note, I'm a prominent 360 player but own a PS3 but with sadness. So this is high praise coming from me. Sony, you did great. Also to all self entitled dicks who think they deserved the world served to them, be happy! This is a great time in gaming. A new generation is upon us. This coming competition between the consoles will be great for us. New games! New possibilities! Sony is starting of well. Consider me hyped!!!:)

Posted by Johnnybombazini

impressed. microsoft ain't got shit !!

Edited by l4wd0g

I really don't care anymore. With the way they've handled the Vita I don't expect much from Sony anymore.

Posted by mcain99

@tetharion: Thanks! That document is useful; it will have USB 3.0 as well. Makes it easy to add more storage if necessary.

Posted by C0V3RT

I'll preface this by saying I'm more of a Microsoft and more invested in the Xbox infrastructure. Not a fan boy, just a preference. The only thing I was really interested in was the "share" thing. That seems neat. I'm leery of implementation of the touch pad on the DualShock 4. I'm fine with no backward compatibility.

As far as games go. I'm guessing Knack is the tech demo game of launch games. Not shocked Watch Dogs was being built for next gen, nor was I shocked that Destiny would be available on the platform. Infamous looked good.

Posted by StarvingGamer

Honestly, I'm just really excited about playing games from my PS4 on my Vita.

Posted by fiberpay

The only thing that I really liked was Watch Dogs. The social crap and streaming I could care less about. Not really interested in a touch screen on my controller but that still is up in the air until I see how its actually used. Other than that im not super excited, maybe once they get closer to shipping.

Edited by Hawkerace

Time to get a PS3.

Posted by kpaadet

@rautapalli: When has a modern console been able to do anything a PC couldn't? You buy a console so you dont have to keep updating your PC and for the exclusives. Come to think about it, I bet you can't turn off your PC mid game and resume same place right away after booting it up.

Posted by bushpusherr

Probably most excited by the inclusion of Jonathan Blow in that presentation. Knowing how firm he is on his positions, it speaks to me that he is on board for this. The current outlook of this system being friendly to independent developers is what really resonates here for me.

Posted by Dixego

The game demos were all pretty great. I'm still worried about this thing's price, though.

Posted by fisk0

@asurastrike said:

• Another Killzone game
  • Another inFamous game

You're talking about video game industry problems, not Sony problems.

That's what the market wants, whether or not you like it, first person and third person shooters sell. I was impressed by the fact that they let a somewhat indie developer on stage during this, and made a point about making it easy/easier for self-published games to appear on the platform, and obviously making the system easier to develop for, both from a hardware perspective and - as I understood Brad or whomever it was who said it during the stream - Sony were publishing links for indie developers on how to get their games on PS(4)N on twitter. Putting Witness up there along with massive first and third party titles is what's really interesting, and what was pretty damn fascinating about PS3 as well.

Posted by ShinyTan

EXCLUSIVE: the box will be black and it won't matter and you're all being dumb

Posted by Bourbon_Warrior

The share feature actually has me quite impressed, I love having the ability to share crazy things in games that happened to you, like a unintentionally hillarious gitch in a Bethesda game or an awesome goal in Fifa. I like being able to watch people play their games, I hope this leads to be able to watch the GB guys playing games they are reviewing or being able to watch a pro gamer like Daigo from Street Fighter just demolish dudes online.

The specs are way better than I expected 8GB of GDDR5 RAM is insane, top of the line GPU's at the moment have about 2GB I think in their GPU's. Really interested to know more about the CPU\GPU chip though. But the demos of Drive Club and Killzone 4 looked incredible and if those engine demos are actually real time they are pushing top of the line GPU's at the moment.

Games really knocked it out the park and was a lot more than I was expecting, Watch Dogs, Destiny, Diablo 3, Drive Club, Infamous 3 and Killzone 4 looked really sweet, the Drive Club car models looked gorgeous and having emotive drivers is something I really appreciate, The lighting and fire effects in Killzone and the look of the city was fricking gorgeous.

The Controller looks great, hope the sticks aren't as flimsy as the DS3, the touch pad I'm really interested in, was hoping them to show off a RTS using it, was kind of expecting Blizzard to show Star Craft 2 when Blizzard came out.

The PSP Vita streaming sounds great, I think they will designate the L1\R1 buttons on either the touch pad or the top corners of the screen has me wondering if Sony will bring out a revision of the Vita with a the extra triggers, really has me excited to buy a PSP Vita now, in those cold winter months being able to tuck up in bed and play the new Final Fantasy or even Fallout 4 sounds really appealing.

Overall Sony really knocked it out the park, great games, great hardware, new features that actually don't feel gimicky, and with being able to stream any PS1 or PS2 game I really think all this stuff is tied behind a pay subscription like Xbox Live, all those features really sound like you need to pay for them. I expect at E3 Sony to right out the gate say the price of the PS4 and the price of the subscription model and then wow everyone with the games and features that people will want to pay the subscription model. Really great conference today had me more excited for next gen than I thought I would yesterday.

Posted by RookTakesPawn

Game streaming, game footage sharing, hibernate, 8gb of unified gddr5, remote play, and more - it just seemed like Sony was pitch perfect on the PS4 design and capabilities. Then it brought out a great mix of developers and third party support. Only misstep, in my opinion, was not showing a prototype box. It would've been nice to see the philosophy of the system in physical form.

In over 15 years of gaming, I've never bought a console at launch and wasn't planning on doing so for this next generation but the PS4 has my attention.

Posted by videogamesarenotart

i dont like the image interface on this site, cant even click an X button to close it and you get a huge UI covering 90% of the image telling you to hit the ESC button instead

Posted by oobs

Posted by Rautapalli

@kpaadet: They said the console will be on standby and the save state will be saved on RAM. Aka. the console wont actually be turned off, it's still using some power. You can do that on PC, it's called sleep. So yeah, I very much can.

Posted by HellknightLeon

Yeah... I need to see the price and what Microsoft fires back with. So far... 4/5. I'm liking what I see. The games so far are shit... but thats ok. Most launch titles are. I've yet to buy a PS3 and my friend gave me his and I still don't play it but... this has me thinking about getting back in with Sony. I cant wait to see whats next and IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!1one

Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious

Really damn good for the first unveiling. Usually you'd only expect about 2 or 3 games to be shown the first time but this just kept going. Only interested in Infamous so far, but I'm sure there will be some good stuff at E3. Already sold on the hardware, and not very worried about games since it's the fucking PS4 and most future development will be aimed at it and Xbox720 just like this generation, and Sony will probably put out some good first party games. Next-gen was long overdue.

Posted by Branthog

impressed. microsoft ain't got shit !!

Or they might.

After two weeks of everyone (including me) doubting Sony and expecting the absolute least from this meeting, they came prepared with great presentations, enthusiastic presenters, a huge library of stuff to show, and great details about the hardware and features of the console. For two damn hours! I was so utterly surprised by the scope and content of Sony's meeting that I really can't even guess what the future of either console is, at this point. Microsoft might fire back with an amazing glory-box that they've puts years of work into to delight core gamers or they might come out with a dinky mom-box. Anything is possible, right now. Launch years are like being a little kid again, when anything is theoretically possible and the world hasn't ground you down into a pile of shat-on reality with no hope, no future, and no options!

Posted by Branthog

@asurastrike said:

• Another Killzone game
  • Another inFamous game

This pretty much sums up my feelings about it as well. I really enjoyed the opening bits about powering down the console and turning it back on where you left off. I think instant playing in a storefront is amazing and I can't believe it's possible! But I come for the games, and unfortunately there wasn't enough new for me. I need new ideas and franchises. Developers are holding back for E3 and I get it. I want to see what everyone else has. The exclusives just aren't doing it like they did ten years ago.

I think when it comes to Drive Club, I know Turn 10 is ahead of that already. They have those features in their back pocket. Criterion is ready for it too. These studios aren't going to forget about anything Drive Club is bringing to the table.

I wanted to see more stuff that wasn't form an existing franchise, too.

But, dudes... IT'S FEBRUARY.

Posted by FearMyFlop

Anyone else feel bad for your WiiU that is already collecting dust? Mine is staring at me like a dog out in the cold rain.