81 Comments
  • 81 results
Posted by divergence

this was the most impressive demo at the PS4 event, in my eyes. The lighting and texture detail is quite a leap ahead of where we are at right now which is what I expect out of next-gen systems. Can't wait.

Posted by Jedted

Why is Zaeed in this game?

I was thinking the same thing. Be interesting if THIS was the last game Robin Sachs worked on.

Edited by GERALTITUDE

@korolev: I think it is real time.

Animation is something that's really going to be pushed this gen (peeps way too busy talkin polygons now). I imagine their engine allows them to do some interesting dynamic and physics based stuff, along with motion and performance capture.

I didn't really find anything Animation-wise too unbelievable. The "afraid" animation sticks out because it's something we don't see in games much as 200% of characters are bad-asses but it's not difficult to do (and again, it could just be mo-cap).

Anyways, I really hope you're wrong. :)

Posted by Sir_Belf

I also got Dragons Dogma vibes. Looks too good to be true.

Edited by mattymjp

Ahhhh, loads of nice looking movies but no gameplay footage, I do love the arrival of a next-gen console

Edited by Tennmuerti

Considering how incredibly assy Dragons Dogma looks from a technical perspective, I am super skeptical that they can pull off this level of graphics (that overtakes Witcher 2) in this short a time, new engine on beefier hardware or not.

Especially considering almost all of that (bar 2 places) looks like scripted animations. A super touched up and optimized in engine cut scene i can maybe swallow.

Posted by Huey2k2

There are people who legitimately believe that this is real time footage?

Come on people, did you learn nothing from the Killzone 2 demo?

Edited by rebgav

So... cutscenes are going to be pretty sweet in the Panty Raid engine?!

Posted by ThunderSlash

Why is Zaeed in this game?

Edited by RudeTrooper

Posted by theslimdavylp

Swords, shields and dragons! Yay!

Posted by mewarmo990

So many "Panty Raid" snarks on Twitter during the live stream...

Edited by BlatantNinja23

@twoarmed: it could be, it's just you know, only rendering that specific situation. So once the game opens up it could no longer do all of that.

Same thing goes with the old man's head. All the processing power was going to just that head, so it might not be capable of doing a full body let alone multiple people in that detail.

Otherwise this was pretty meh cgi.

Edited by Superkenon

The funny part is because of the fake HUD people will think that's actual proper gameplay. Sony with the smoke and mirrors again.

If it's in-engine, does it really matter whether that was actual gameplay? They framed the whole thing as a tech demo anyway.

Posted by Cold_Wolven

Hate to say it but I'm skeptical about this game and whether it would even look that good.

Posted by kishinfoulux

The funny part is because of the fake HUD people will think that's actual proper gameplay. Sony with the smoke and mirrors again.

Posted by ShadowKnight508

Looks awesome. Looks like I'm down with Deep Down for whenever the release date turns out to be.

*puts on shades and walks away*

Posted by MeatSim

I hope it's got the Dragons Dogma combat system.

Posted by King9999

What was with the message from Blanka at the end? Are they hinting some kind of Assassin's Creed like world within a world? Or are they just pushing the PS4's sharing features?

I think that's just Ono being Ono.

Posted by King9999

Now I want a Souls game with this engine.

Posted by Arx724

@ahgunsillyo said:

Hopefully, they'll do what they did with Dragon's Dogma and put some sweet-ass J-Rock on the title screen to get you pumped every time you play.

The first time the music really kicked in, I fucking hated it so much. I thought it was completely out-of-place. Every time after that, it would totally get me in the mood to climb up on giant creatures and stab the shit out of 'em.

Posted by zoozilla

This obviously isn't gameplay, but I can certainly believe that it's real-time, with every frame optimized to use all 8 gigs of RAM.

They were smart to set it in a cave, where unecessary details could be obscured by shadow, and they wouldn't have to render it. They also have a lot of close-ups, so they could devote more horsepower to tiny details.

It looks amazing - an actual game won't look anything like it, but who knows? Maybe 3, 4 years down the line, they'll look close.

Posted by soralapio

This is going to be some shitty Move game isn't it

Posted by Coolarman

Most impressive thing to come out of the conference. After this it would be watch dogs, and the Jonathan Blow game.

Posted by Darthozzan

This is definitely in-engine, if you know what to look for it shows. It doesn't seem wildly above Unreal Engine 4; but this is obviously much more impressively crafted since it's directed in this way with a game that actually seems pretty cool. If it is pre-rendered, then they have done a remarkable job of making it look just shitty enough to make me fully believe that it is in-engine.

Edited by galloughs

I love how they tagged on little details in the corners to make it look like this is gameplay, when it obviously isn't at all

Posted by Kerned

Thought this was Dragon's Dogma 2. Sad face.

I'm betting that it is. Dragon's Dogma: Deep Down seems like a likely title.

Posted by StriderNo9

Thought this was Dragon's Dogma 2. Sad face.

Posted by DarkbeatDK

It's a Japanese Dungeons & Dragons-ish game! I'm sold!

Dragon's Dogma was my game of the year 2012

Posted by aktivity

@korolev said:

I'm pretty sure that this footage isn't real time, and I'm pretty sure such dynamic animations won't be seen throughout the game. I could be wrong, hell, would love to be wrong, but this looks a little TOO good to be true.

I dunno, I think it would be kinda pointless to try and sell your new engine by showing pre rendered stuff. So, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by Regal

@yorro said:

I remember pretty well when people thought that the real-time gameplay demo of Killzone 1, during PS3 announcement, was complete bullshit.

Same pattern happening right now. People are just too cynical.

Lets not forget though that it wasn't a real time demo of Killzone 2 (if that's what you meant), but what they finally came up with didn't actually stray too far from that concept video.

For this they literally said that it was running on their new engine on a PS4, and after 'Killzone-gate', I doubt they would repeat that same mistake again, I don't think we are being too naïve in assuming that. Amazing as this looks, If you cram all these new lighting- and particle effects into a small environment like this, I believe it can be done.

If it could co-exist with other game mechanics and AI is a little more doubtful, but it is a real time demo.

Posted by Korolev

I'm pretty sure that this footage isn't real time, and I'm pretty sure such dynamic animations won't be seen throughout the game. I could be wrong, hell, would love to be wrong, but this looks a little TOO good to be true.

Posted by MachoFantastico

Certainly looks like gameplay, the movement especially looks like it is real time.

Posted by yorro

I remember pretty well when people thought that the real-time gameplay demo of Killzone 1, during PS3 announcement, was complete bullshit.

Same pattern happening right now. People are just too cynical.

Posted by teh_destroyer

I thought this was going to be some new Skyrim dlc.

Posted by Robo

So it's Dragon's Dogma, right? I mean we aren't seriously supposed to buy that this is some new game that just happens to be set in the same universe and just happens to have a somewhat nonsensical "working title" with the initials DD, are we?

Edited by WolfHazard

This looks so awesome

Posted by Plasticpals

The guys at Capcom really like Demon's Souls, don't they?

Posted by FMinus

The part from 1:20 to 1:27 looks like gameplay, rest not-so-much, but I'm open for surprises.

Posted by Dan_CiTi

Essentially Dragon's Dogma 2, in a way that SotC was a sequel to Ico and Dark Souls was the follow-up to Demon's Souls. If it looks that good (or close to it, I imagine it will, though this is doctored in some aspects because it is not a finished game) in gameplay, and it plays as well as Dragon's Dogma (I imagine it will be overall better as a game) it is definitely something to really look forward to.

Posted by Hatsworth

I like the bit where the guy destroys a stone pillar with an arrow!

Posted by bahMiRK

@huey2k2: It is real man, it would be a trailer instead of a technical demo that final fantasy game they showed was also in real time.

Posted by Czarpyotr

JESUS CHRIST THIS LOOKS AWESOME.

Edited by JDillinger

This is clearly real time. Don't get distracted by the overall picture, take in the individual pieces.

Edited by itos

Can´t wait to play Dark Souls with this graphics and type of engine. If they are talking about a new engine then this must be real time, but I don't think it's playable just a tech demo.

Posted by theveej

man people are cynical, don't get me wrong I don't think this is real time gameplay, more like directed cut-scene in engine. It's on par with Unreal 4 engine footage in my opinion, just more edited.

Either I'm excited for next gen, this is all I wanted really.

Posted by Elwoodan

Honestly the stuff with the HUD elements looked about as good as Crisis 3, thought I'm 100% sure the camera wouldn't function like that in the game. It could be similar to how Guildwars 2 showed off their skill videos, it was rendered in engine, just using a cinematic camera.

Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam

This is a dungeon I would crawl. Also, I love that all the characters in this trailer looked like total shitbags.

Edited by ShaggyDude

This is a tech demo for Capcom's new engine. I don't think anyone claimed it was gameplay when they presented it. I think it looks good. I never tried Dragon's Dogma, but I would love to play some next gen Dragons Dogma.

Edited by Kerned

There is a zero percent chance that any of that was representative of what the game will look like in action.

• 81 results