182 Comments
  • 182 results
Posted by FMinus

22 minutes into this quick look and i still haven't seen a puzzle solved or progress, just left right, back to the starting point, back to the fingerprint stone 50 times and back to start... zZzzz I'd rather watch a quick look of Big Rigs.

Posted by Gizmo

I want to play this on P.C :(

Posted by mnzy

@fminus said:

22 minutes into this quick look and i still haven't seen a puzzle solved or progress, just left right, back to the starting point, back to the fingerprint stone 50 times and back to start... zZzzz I'd rather watch a quick look of Big Rigs.

Yep, pretty bad Quick Look so far.

Posted by big_jon

I really like the music when he has to match his voice to the notes, it sounds so fucking creepy.

Posted by smcn

Finally getting around to iOS quick looks? It's about time! Also, videos work in Chrome beta channel now. Hooray.

Posted by tompepper

Brad seriously needs to fix the way he pronounces "encompassing"

Posted by MorbidYak

I will purchase this game, but only if Vinny dubs it.

Posted by JackSukeru

I like this.

I won't play it, but I'm glad that I saw it.

Posted by North6

I have lost track of how many times Vinny has claimed "first ios quicklook".

Posted by Monkeyman04

@north6: I think Vinny is just trolling at this point.

Posted by Ketchupp

Edited by fatalbanana

@mnzy said:

@fminus said:

The purpose of a quick look Is to be informative first and foremost not entertaining... if you want entertainment go watch the Farm Simulator quick look a few times with your tongue out while you drool. If you find interesting things boring then leave your comments on a site like you tube... it serves no purpose to leave it here. Anyway, game looks awesome gonna check it out.

Posted by Bezerker85

The voice acting in the game is a bit off.

Edited by extragingerbrew

Really incredible game selection Brad. Such an evocative mood and striking art design. I hope you continue playing more of Year Walk and give your impressions on the next Bombcast.

Posted by Lyfeforce

Brad, Vinny, this is great and all, but when are you two going to start doing iOS quick looks? I'm looking forward to the first one.

Posted by SirOptimusPrime

If this had a PC version I'd be all up on it.

Edited by Evilsbane

ALL THESE QUICK LOOKS ARE THE FIRST AHHHHHHHHH!!!! *mind blown*

Edited by Animasta

THE REALEST GAME ABOUT THE SWEDISH WILDERNESS IS NORRLAND MOTHAFUCKA

Posted by mnzy

@mnzy said:

@fminus said:

The purpose of a quick look Is to be informative first and foremost not entertaining... if you want entertainment go watch the Farm Simulator quick look a few times with your tongue out while you drool. If you find interesting things boring then leave your comments on a site like you tube... it serves no purpose to leave it here. Anyway, game looks awesome gonna check it out.

Why are you implying that I'm talking about entertainment? In 20 minutes he barely moved the game forward. That is a bad way to show off what it's about and, hold on to your hats, not very informative.
But hey, you define it as interesting so I'm really sorry for feeling that way.

Maybe you should take your attitude and style of dicsussion to youtube, because that would be fitting.

Posted by tyxja

Year walking? I HOPE YOU ARE JOKING!

Posted by Rox360
@mnzy said:

@fatalbanana said:

@mnzy said:

@fminus said:

Why are you implying that I'm talking about entertainment? In 20 minutes he barely moved the game forward. That is a bad way to show off what it's about and, hold on to your hats, not very informative.

But hey, you define it as interesting so I'm really sorry for feeling that way.

Maybe you should take your attitude and style of dicsussion to youtube, because that would be fitting.

Weird. I was completely sold on the style, setting and atmosphere after about ten minutes, and I thought Brad showed that off very well, alongside the seemingly very non-linear game world. I thought this was a great quick look. In fact, I'm going to link it to several friends of mine because I think they'll enjoy watching it even if they can't play the game.

Edited by Jace

If you guys don't start doing iOS Quick Looks I'm cancelling my fucking subscription. I suggest all other subscribers do the same.

Posted by North6

@fisk0 said:

@funkydupe said:

UAAAAHHHh! Fucking hell that in-your-face jump scare was a cheap-shot, totally took me by surprise!

I guess, as a Swede I was surprised it took so long, while I doubt there's much actual belief in these creatures these days, they are prevalent through in a lot of the stories we're told as kids even today, so pretty much everyone has heard of at least the more common ones like skogsrået/huldran, tomten and näcken, and to some extent the draug, though I think they are more common in Norwegian tales.

I've heard of the draug! Skyrim baby!

... They're zombies, right?

Posted by edgefusion

@jace: Uhmmm, this is an iOS quick look...

Posted by melodiousj

@jace: Uhmmm, this is an iOS quick look...

I think it's supposed to be a running joke.

You might notice, they refer to every iOS QL as their first iOS QL.

Edited by fisk0

@north6 said:

I've heard of the draug! Skyrim baby!

... They're zombies, right?

Yeah, kinda, somewhere between vampires and zombies. Decayed corpses protecting the riches in their burial mounds, who'd attack anything that came too close to the mound and eat their flesh, and those who were killed would rise as draug themselves. So, kinda Romero style zombies in look, smell and appetite, but conscious and malevolent like vampires. Apparently also shapeshifting, according to some tales they could turn into cats and change their size and weight at will.

Posted by John1912

The voice acting is terrible!

Posted by IzzyGraze

I really wish these would come to the PC. I'm never going to buy an ipad or iphone just for a few games so....yeah.

Posted by xXHesekielXx

Heja Sverige!!

Posted by gbrading

Does look pretty cool. Would love a PC version.

Edited by bhhawks78

This game makes me want to smash my iphone. So god damn boring.

Posted by Winternet

So this is it, huh? 2013. "Our first iOS Quick-Look".

Edited by Phatmac

Brad is now the IOS anime editor.

Edited by PatchMaster

First iOS quick look? Am I missing something?

Posted by Mercer

Do i sense a Year of "WHAT'S IN THE BOX?! WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!" coming on?

Posted by Tikicobra

This game is amazing. Has that been said yet?

Posted by mbr2

God this game is douche-y, I understand that iOS games are games too, but this is hardly a good time.

Limbo was beautiful because it's eeriness was backed up by a game - this is just lame.

More to the point, the way Brad turns fanboy is very unappealing.

No. Just because you don't like it doesn't make you shitting on it and Brad justified and comparing it to Limbo just makes you look more like an idiot.

Posted by TheHT

Pretty goddamn clever putting that after the sequence where you're paying close attention to the sound.

I REALLY like the look and vibe of this game. Looks like something best played on an iPad though rather than an iPhone, so hopefully it'll come to PC at some point since I'm not about to drop 300 or 400 or whatever for one game.

@ztiworoh said:

The ways they use the physical device you're playing on to convey puzzle solutions is incredible and without spoiling anything, I'll just say that the companion app is more than just a reference guide.

Really? Going in not knowing all about the huldra seemed far more effective, since I totally thought she was a kindly calming presence and thus she totally freaked my shit out too.

Reading all about huldra afterwards made it all the more intriguing than I think it would have been had I gone in knowing all about them.

Posted by golguin

This game has a really strong art style. It kinda remind of of Swords and Sworcery in the way that the art style is completely realized in the game's world.

Edited by elpurplemonkey
Posted by MAJID

Vinny needs to get a gig in voice acting

Posted by ZeroV2

I couldn't care less about iOS game quick looks. I'd prefer seeing some footage of a $60 game, a little higher entry point than a $5 one on a mostly non-gaming device.

Posted by TheRedDeath

Way too damn creepy for me.

Posted by UncleBenny

@majid said:

Vinny needs to get a gig in voice acting

Posted by fisk0

@theht said:
@ztiworoh said:

The ways they use the physical device you're playing on to convey puzzle solutions is incredible and without spoiling anything, I'll just say that the companion app is more than just a reference guide.

Really? Going in not knowing all about the huldra seemed far more effective, since I totally thought she was a kindly calming presence and thus she totally freaked my shit out too.

Reading all about huldra afterwards made it all the more intriguing than I think it would have been had I gone in knowing all about them.

I'd guess a large part of the game's target demographic are the Scandinavian or northern European countries, where the huldra or very similar stories are things people have grown up with and know of.

I don't know much of American folklore, so I can't name any direct parallels, but I guess big foot or stuff like the Loch Ness monster aren't all that far off, though I guess they aren't so much associated with a specific behavior or intent like the huldra is. But I'm sure that if you set a game in a vast American forest and hinted about some ape like creature, you'd be culturally primed to draw associations to the big foot legends.

I think the companion app is largely something they created to give non-Scandinavians the cultural context that would in large part be ingrained in the minds of Scandinavian players. Of course, not all of the legends in the game are well known to all Swedes either, seems like the idea of the "year walk" has been largely forgotten in most parts of Sweden except for the southernmost provinces, but the tales of the huldra seem to appear all across the Germanic countries.

Posted by primalmaster

Viny needs to do let's plays, the voices he did in this video are hilarious!

Posted by Tikicobra

I'm American and I don't even think we have folklore.

Edited by blueinferno

Um, isn't this their 3rd or 4th iOS quick look?

Edit: Or maybe that's the joke, I dunno. It probably is.

Posted by HazeMisoSoup

Oh god that creepy tree woman was not the best thing to see before going to bed!

Posted by ztiworoh

@theht said:

@ztiworoh said:

So, I don't want to spoil anything but to say there is a game mechanic that you could completely miss which requires the companion app. And it robs you of maybe the coolest thing about the game.

• 182 results