182 Comments
  • 182 results
Posted by RageGoblin

Looks like a dumb phone game to me.

Posted by Spaceyoghurt

Huh, just had to see the red house with the white corners to understand that this must take place somewhere in Sweden. :D

Posted by selbie

Vinny Caravella - founding member of Monty Python 2.0

Posted by Marzy

Hopefully it will come to Android.

Posted by cikame

Great to see a game which realises you don't have to be straight scary to be scary.

Posted by fisk0

I may be totally wrong, but at 13:07 Vinny says, "Hit the share button." Didn't they record this before the PS4 release date? ... Dunn dunn duuuuuuuuunnnn.

Could be a reference to that a lot of iOS games that have in-game share buttons for advertising the game on your twitter or facebook feeds, but the share button on the PS4 controller was rumored a few weeks ago when someone leaked images of a devkit too.

Posted by Hassun

Brad humming along with the game was a great moment.

One of the first and very few games which makes me disappointed not to have an iOS device.

I hope it comes to PC.

Posted by paulunga

Man, I could go for a Swedish witch right about now.

I'm not sure if that's a candy bar or slang for drugs. Both?

Posted by corgan126

I may be totally wrong, but at 13:07 Vinny says, "Hit the share button." Didn't they record this before the PS4 release date? ... Dunn dunn duuuuuuuuunnnn.

Posted by ThreeRoneC

Vinny is the best. Plain and simple.

Posted by Matoyak

I'm American and I don't even think we have folklore.

Huh. Really? Dunno, maybe it's a city-vs-rural thing, but folklore was very common in the sticks where I grew up, and urban legends even more so even after I did move to the city (and I'd classify that as folklore, just more modern-day)

Posted by Disconnect

I know this is not a very original opinion/tought, but Vinny is a funny motherfucker.

Also, as someone from Sweden, this game is oddly Swedish.

Posted by Tsuchikage

That one part freaked me out! Between this game and The Room, I'm really glad Giant Bomb is doing these iOS game Quick Looks--they're cluing me in to awesome games I wouldn't have given a darn about otherwise.

Posted by MrBubbles

I would love to buy this if it came out for android.

Edited by dvdwalker8

Look out, Nolan North. Vinny's gunning for your job. I love how Vinny always asks Dave or Drew about things like the difference between a cat's tracks and a dog's tracks. Also, I agree that the musical bit was reminiscent of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory's "Pure Imagination" song.

Posted by Phished0ne

Man, I could go for a Swedish witch right about now.

Posted by FierceDeity

@rox360 said:
@mnzy said:

@fatalbanana said:

@mnzy said:

@fminus said:

22 minutes into this quick look and i still haven't seen a puzzle solved or progress, just left right, back to the starting point, back to the fingerprint stone 50 times and back to start... zZzzz I'd rather watch a quick look of Big Rigs.

Yep, pretty bad Quick Look so far.

The purpose of a quick look Is to be informative first and foremost not entertaining... if you want entertainment go watch the Farm Simulator quick look a few times with your tongue out while you drool. If you find interesting things boring then leave your comments on a site like you tube... it serves no purpose to leave it here. Anyway, game looks awesome gonna check it out.

Why are you implying that I'm talking about entertainment? In 20 minutes he barely moved the game forward. That is a bad way to show off what it's about and, hold on to your hats, not very informative.

But hey, you define it as interesting so I'm really sorry for feeling that way.

Maybe you should take your attitude and style of dicsussion to youtube, because that would be fitting.

Weird. I was completely sold on the style, setting and atmosphere after about ten minutes, and I thought Brad showed that off very well, alongside the seemingly very non-linear game world. I thought this was a great quick look. In fact, I'm going to link it to several friends of mine because I think they'll enjoy watching it even if they can't play the game.

Game seemed extremely linear to me. Puzzles have to be solved in a set order.

Posted by CptMorganCA

@mbr2 said:

@voshinova said:

God this game is douche-y, I understand that iOS games are games too, but this is hardly a good time.

Limbo was beautiful because it's eeriness was backed up by a game - this is just lame.

More to the point, the way Brad turns fanboy is very unappealing.

No. Just because you don't like it doesn't make you shitting on it and Brad justified and comparing it to Limbo just makes you look more like an idiot.

In reference to Vishinova: I don't think I quite understand what you're saying, but it sounds like a game can't be beautiful if it plays rather simplistically, like this. I don't see the logic in that. It's understandable to not want to play a game like this, but to say it's incapable of being 'beautiful' because of its gameplay is really weird to me.

Presentation and Gameplay can definitely compliment each other, but they can also stand on their own.

Edited by SleepyDoughnut

This game might be good or it might not be, either way Brad does a terrible job of showing it off.

Edit: This game gets interesting 25 min into the quick look

Edited by development

@ltsmash said:

The woman in the windmill sounds like Mr. Hankey.

When the other lady flew towards the screen it looked like something out of South Park to me, and because of that I couldn't be scared by it. Comical, if anything.

Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam

Dammit, I was totally expecting the huldra to go all messed-up when she first appeared, but I had forgotten by the time she showed up again.

Posted by MarkWahlberg

New Premium video idea: Vinny reads children's books doing silly voices and stuff.

Edited by namesonkel

Touching owls in the forests of Sweden will bring you nothing good.

Posted by Reisz

This game really badly makes me want to look down.

Posted by evanbower

I don't see anything special about this. :|

That's cause you aren't ready to see it.

Posted by LarryDavis

@bigd145 said:

UnrealWorld has taught me I should go into the woods.

UnrealWorld taught us all a lot of things.

Edited by LTSmash

The woman in the windmill sounds like Mr. Hankey.

Posted by ICantBeStopped

Put it on Vita or Android and I'd play it.

Edited by SatelliteOfLove

Vinny: Momma Klump impersonator.

Posted by cthomer5000

First iOS quick look? Am I missing something?

I think they mistakenly said it a second time at one point, but now it's just a running gag.

Posted by das9000

Ugh... sometimes that weird voice that Vinny does to voice written dialog is just ... ahem ... out of place, such as at the start. This is probably the only quick look where he was a liability more than an asset in my opinion.

Fuck, I don't own an ios device, but I would play this if I could.

Posted by development

it's their third.

Posted by ztiworoh

@theht said:

@ztiworoh said:

The ways they use the physical device you're playing on to convey puzzle solutions is incredible and without spoiling anything, I'll just say that the companion app is more than just a reference guide.

Really? Going in not knowing all about the huldra seemed far more effective, since I totally thought she was a kindly calming presence and thus she totally freaked my shit out too.

Reading all about huldra afterwards made it all the more intriguing than I think it would have been had I gone in knowing all about them.

So, I don't want to spoil anything but to say there is a game mechanic that you could completely miss which requires the companion app. And it robs you of maybe the coolest thing about the game.

Posted by HazeMisoSoup

Oh god that creepy tree woman was not the best thing to see before going to bed!

Edited by blueinferno

Um, isn't this their 3rd or 4th iOS quick look?

Edit: Or maybe that's the joke, I dunno. It probably is.

Posted by Tikicobra

I'm American and I don't even think we have folklore.

Posted by primalmaster

Viny needs to do let's plays, the voices he did in this video are hilarious!

Posted by fisk0

@theht said:
@ztiworoh said:

The ways they use the physical device you're playing on to convey puzzle solutions is incredible and without spoiling anything, I'll just say that the companion app is more than just a reference guide.

Really? Going in not knowing all about the huldra seemed far more effective, since I totally thought she was a kindly calming presence and thus she totally freaked my shit out too.

Reading all about huldra afterwards made it all the more intriguing than I think it would have been had I gone in knowing all about them.

I'd guess a large part of the game's target demographic are the Scandinavian or northern European countries, where the huldra or very similar stories are things people have grown up with and know of.

I don't know much of American folklore, so I can't name any direct parallels, but I guess big foot or stuff like the Loch Ness monster aren't all that far off, though I guess they aren't so much associated with a specific behavior or intent like the huldra is. But I'm sure that if you set a game in a vast American forest and hinted about some ape like creature, you'd be culturally primed to draw associations to the big foot legends.

I think the companion app is largely something they created to give non-Scandinavians the cultural context that would in large part be ingrained in the minds of Scandinavian players. Of course, not all of the legends in the game are well known to all Swedes either, seems like the idea of the "year walk" has been largely forgotten in most parts of Sweden except for the southernmost provinces, but the tales of the huldra seem to appear all across the Germanic countries.

Posted by UncleBenny

@majid said:

Vinny needs to get a gig in voice acting

Posted by TheRedDeath

Way too damn creepy for me.

Posted by ZeroV2

I couldn't care less about iOS game quick looks. I'd prefer seeing some footage of a $60 game, a little higher entry point than a $5 one on a mostly non-gaming device.

Posted by MAJID

Vinny needs to get a gig in voice acting

Edited by elpurplemonkey
Posted by golguin

This game has a really strong art style. It kinda remind of of Swords and Sworcery in the way that the art style is completely realized in the game's world.

Posted by TheHT

Pretty goddamn clever putting that after the sequence where you're paying close attention to the sound.

I REALLY like the look and vibe of this game. Looks like something best played on an iPad though rather than an iPhone, so hopefully it'll come to PC at some point since I'm not about to drop 300 or 400 or whatever for one game.

@ztiworoh said:

Posted by mbr2

God this game is douche-y, I understand that iOS games are games too, but this is hardly a good time.

Limbo was beautiful because it's eeriness was backed up by a game - this is just lame.

More to the point, the way Brad turns fanboy is very unappealing.

No. Just because you don't like it doesn't make you shitting on it and Brad justified and comparing it to Limbo just makes you look more like an idiot.

Posted by Tikicobra

This game is amazing. Has that been said yet?

Posted by Mercer

Do i sense a Year of "WHAT'S IN THE BOX?! WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!" coming on?

Edited by PatchMaster

Edited by Phatmac

Brad is now the IOS anime editor.

• 182 results