46 Comments
Edited by Animasta

Commander Video killed Admiral Radio

Posted by Iodine

Sweet. Always loved the BIT.TRIP games, and the new visuals look well done

Posted by Antipunk217

@animasta: Darn it, that's clever.

Played it at PAX and I am sure I will be just as addicted to 2 as I am to the first.

Posted by RPGee

I feel that so much going on in the background will distract people from what they're meant to be doing.

But I'll probably get it anyway, since I think the first one is pretty neat.

Posted by MeatSim

The rhythm aliens are invading!

Posted by patrickklepek

@rpgee said:

I feel that so much going on in the background will distract people from what they're meant to be doing.

But I'll probably get it anyway, since I think the first one is pretty neat.

I've played half of it, and can tell you it's not really an issue.

Staff
Posted by CookieMonster

This looks gowwwwwjuss

Posted by steevl

also featuring Charles Martinet as himself as the narrator!

Edited by mnzy

I hope they fix the part where the level starts off too easy and has all the hard stuff at the end so that you have to replay the whole thing including the easy part again and again because of a couple of jumps. Bit.trip Beat has the same problem but with even longer levels.

Edited by Zaccheus

@mnzy: I'm with you, there is a very finite amount of repetition I can take. This one has optional checkpoints so that should alleviate that problem.

Posted by TheCheese33

I currently own all of those platforms (except for XBLA) so I'm not sure what I'll buy it for. Right now I'm leaning toward either PC or Wii U, since those are the only two versions independently published by Gaijin.

Posted by sikapwach

Mac, PC, and Console doesn't seem to qualify as every platform imaginable.

Posted by gbrading

Apart from my complete inability to play a Bit.Trip game, this looks great.

Posted by MariachiMacabre

Any idea what the cost is? I'm guessing $10 but I haven't found anything concrete. I'll pick it up regardless, just curious.

Posted by FTomato

Didn't know this was coming to Vita. It would work great on a handheld :D

Edited by Ghost_Cat

I missed you, Commander Video!

Posted by Amafi

Any idea what the cost is? I'm guessing $10 but I haven't found anything concrete. I'll pick it up regardless, just curious.

€12.6 for the preorder on steam, so probably $15.

Posted by Larsa

Man I loved the first one. It got pretty fucking hard at the end too, but still fun.

Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam

At first glance, it looks harder to distinguish the foreground from the background when compared to the 8-bit iconography of the last game.

Posted by BonzoPongo

hopefully it comes out on 3ds

Edited by Abendlaender

I really, really loved Runner 1. Although I don't really like the artstyle of Runner 2 (not because it's not Retro, I just don't like it) I can't wait to play this

@animasta said:

This buggles my mind.

Posted by RichieJohn

@mnzy: They added mid level checkpoints but you can jump over them for POINTS!

Posted by RichieJohn
Posted by DarthOrange

@animasta said:

This buggles my mind.

I met your children and that's what they told me as well.

Posted by flasaltine

TEMPLE RUN RIP OFF!

Posted by BooDoug187

Some of those backgrounds remind me of Joe Danger

Posted by Dagbiker

So is this the Sonic Adventure to the Sega Genesis Sonic?

Posted by BBQBram

The original was so good. Is this out now? God yes.

Posted by BeachThunder

Can't wait to play this on Virtual Boy...wait, you didn't actually mean every platform imaginable? Oh, never mind then :(

I loved the original. I hated the original.

Posted by PurpleMoustache

I kinda just broke the Steam pre-purchase system by redeeming my code from the Game Music Bundle and got to play through the first world:

Its incredible. Really stressful and hard as all the BIT.TRIP games, but somehow even more rewarding than before.

Posted by Mendelson9

Is this coming to almost every current platform on the same week. I like that.

Posted by Alex_Carrillo

I don't want to play another running game. Ever.

Posted by captainanderson

hopefully it comes out on 3ds

The 3DS version of Runner 1 was terrible though. The framerate made it literally unplayable.

Posted by Y2Ken

This game is soo satisfying when you hit everything. Sound design is fantastic.

Posted by Wonloong

Studying how media and games work, I can't help but to dissect any content in my way.

This game looks like a wonder to look at. As for how the gameplay is, I'll have to see for myself to find at. I'll probably dissect that way too deeply and make it seem like boring science and kill any joy of ever loving a video game ever in the process. But it's going to be fine.

Posted by GaspoweR

I don't want to play another running game. Ever.

You should have stopped playing all those running games before you got sick of it. :)

Posted by MormonWarrior

I got Runner on Steam somehow (probably in a Humble Bundle) but are all the other ones available on there too?

Posted by steevl

I got Runner on Steam somehow (probably in a Humble Bundle) but are all the other ones available on there too?

All but the last two Bit.Trip games are available on Steam. The missing ones are Bit.Trip Flux and Bit.Trip Fate.

Edited by armodillo17

@rpgee: The first ones were like that, too. It's a design decision, I think. It adds to the difficulty of staying focused.

Posted by Gold_Skulltulla

Curious if this game still works conceptually if there are checkpoints. The first one became infuriatingly difficult in certain levels, and not followed by enough reward or satisfaction for my taste. Checkpoints could help with that, (also maybe some variety n the bonus stages), but I don't know if it's enough to put myself through it all again. I'll wait for the QL and see how it looks.

Posted by YummyTreeSap

@gold_skulltulla said:

Curious if this game still works conceptually if there are checkpoints. The first one became infuriatingly difficult in certain levels, and not followed by enough reward or satisfaction for my taste. Checkpoints could help with that, (also maybe some variety n the bonus stages), but I don't know if it's enough to put myself through it all again. I'll wait for the QL and see how it looks.

I was super skeptical of checkpoints at first, but they're implemented very well. You can either choose to run through them and therefore save yourself from potential frustration or you can jump over them for an added bonus on your score. Thus far I've chosen to bypass the checkpoints because I don't like them and the frustration is part of the game.

Another thing worth noting is that hard mode in Runner2 is actually harder. In the first game all hard mode did was force you to collect all of the items. Hard mode in Runner2 adds more obstacles to the levels. I'm very happy for this.

Posted by qualus

wow, looks fantastic! Loved pretty much all of Bit.Trip's stuff.

Edited by Twill

I really, really loved Runner 1. Although I don't really like the artstyle of Runner 2 (not because it's not Retro, I just don't like it) I can't wait to play this

@animasta said:

This buggles my mind.

Someone should probably point out that 'buggle' is in fact not a word and what you likely meant was 'boggle' which is in fact a word, and a game, of words funny enough.

Edited by Roy42

So that's how you were getting such high scores in the early levels. How much of a bonus? I was getting points going through the checkpoints anyway, and being able to spend the time not jumping dancing makes me think the bonus for not hitting the checkpoint would be relatively inconsequential.

Edited by ErikSchroder

No Dreamcast version? Oh, dang it.

Posted by steevl

@roy42 said:
@richiejohn said:

So that's how you were getting such high scores in the early levels. How much of a bonus? I was getting points going through the checkpoints anyway, and being able to spend the time not jumping dancing makes me think the bonus for not hitting the checkpoint would be relatively inconsequential.

I just tested it in one of the early levels, and it looks like I got 50,000 bonus points for skipping the checkpoint. I'm not sure if that number changes on the later levels.