145 Comments
  • 145 results
Posted by MysteriousBob

Jesus Christ, Jeff always selects characters with LK. For someone who claims to be the site's fighting game guy its maddening.

Edited by John1912

Video no work! Make it work!!!

Posted by SgtSphynx

Video won't load and when I try to download, it says file not found.

Edited by troticielo

@john1912 said:

Video no work! Make it work!!!

Direct (subscriber) links ~404 and there seems to be new ad middleware that breaks playback when blocked. Links seem fixed.

Posted by FNGbomber

Doesn't work for me either

Posted by WolfHazard

Thought this was Darksiders Resurrection and almost shit myself.

Edited by m2cks

@flstyle said:

@phished0ne said:

Also:

S-S-S-S-SOUL S-S-S-S-SOUL FIST SO-SO-SO-SOUL FIST

Someone needs to tell Jeff he's playing Morrigan wrong.

@flstyle said:

I'm beginning to think that fighting games are just one genre that will never suit Quick Looks. Or at least the standard style of video game website video previews.

The amount of people who are interested in Darkstalkers who this video won't benefit far outweighs the ones who it will.

I always hoped they would get more involved in the fgc and try to bring in players to help them demo the games.

Would be nice, that way the game wouldn't be undersold to newcomers and wouldn't be antagonising to existing fans.

I do remember them bring in guys like Seth Killian in for stuff like the Street Fighter III quick look EX, and they were at least semi-professional players who knew the inner mechanics of fighting games and were able to describe them in more layman's terms. I agree they should let the experienced guys in the business and community guest on more quick looks and other features; it would thus provide more insightful entertainment for fighting game enthusiasts and newbies alike.

Posted by buzz_clik

1:49 - COMIC. FUCKING. SANS.

Posted by ProfessorK
Posted by Shingro

Capcom: Hey guys, Instead of making a new iteration of this franchise, how about you buy the thing you already have over again!

Edited by Petiew

@jewunit: @wes899:

That's good Chris, use Soulfist again.

@phished0ne said:

Plus, the trophy/achivement for getting 10 ranked match wins is called "YOU ARE ALL FREE NOW"

Is that actually true? That's great.

Posted by mrsmiley
Posted by FLStyle

@m2cks said:

@flstyle said:

@phished0ne said:

Also:

S-S-S-S-SOUL S-S-S-S-SOUL FIST SO-SO-SO-SOUL FIST

Someone needs to tell Jeff he's playing Morrigan wrong.

@flstyle said:

I'm beginning to think that fighting games are just one genre that will never suit Quick Looks. Or at least the standard style of video game website video previews.

The amount of people who are interested in Darkstalkers who this video won't benefit far outweighs the ones who it will.

I always hoped they would get more involved in the fgc and try to bring in players to help them demo the games.

Would be nice, that way the game wouldn't be undersold to newcomers and wouldn't be antagonising to existing fans.

I do remember them bring in guys like Seth Killian in for stuff like the Street Fighter III quick look EX, and they were at least semi-professional players who knew the inner mechanics of fighting games and were able to describe them in more layman's terms. I agree they should let the experienced guys in the business and community guest on more quick looks and other features; it would thus provide more insightful entertainment for fighting game enthusiasts and newbies alike.

Ahhh yes, Seth, Vinny and Brad replicating the Daigo Parry was awesome. I remember that being a very good video. Good shout. So Quick Look EX is the way for fighting game Quick Looks.

@petiew said:

@jewunit: @wes899:

That's good Chris, use Soulfist again.

@phished0ne said:

Plus, the trophy/achivement for getting 10 ranked match wins is called "YOU ARE ALL FREE NOW"

Is that actually true? That's great.

Fucking hilarious! Chris G to win UMvC3 at EVO 2013!

https://twitter.com/nycfurby/status/295998193391517696

http://exophase.com/achievement/darkstalkers-resurrection-xbox/you-are-all-free-now/

Posted by SatelliteOfLove

I don't know who they got to do the new art on these, but it's been wretched each time.

@kollay said:

Music in the Vampire Saviors were always so damn good.

Been playing the Saturn port lately, myself. Gallon woof.

Hsien-Ko theme, all day, errday:

Posted by Godzilla_Sushi

Well, the Fetus of God certainly didn't mislead us.....

Posted by GabeNewell

Wow, how did such a crappy cartoon garner enough attention to get a game made after it?

Edited by Pop

I really don't know anything about Darkstalkers but I always liked the character design, I think it's fine how they do quick looks for fighting games, there's no point in bringing a pro to play unless they've worked on the game or something. Maybe if they brought 2 pros in that would be better :D.

Oh and I would be totally in on a new darkstalkers game even if I would suck really bad at it.

Posted by Zleunamme

The over the shoulder view brings back memories when I use to go the arcades as a kid. If I ran out quarters or didn't have a money. I would watch other people play to pass the time. It was fun to watch players who were better skilled at fighting games than I was.

I'm not a fan of unlocking concept art as a reward for playing. I wish there was a better way to reward players that doing that. I shouldn't be surprised if Capcom decides to sell pallet swap packs for Darkstalkers.

The artist who did the illustrations for Darkstalkers Resurrection is named Stanley Lau. He also did art for Street Fighter III Third Strike Online edition. People should check out his work on his Deviant Art page: http://artgerm.deviantart.com/.

Posted by kycinematic

I'm going to legally change my name to John Taliban

Posted by namesonkel

Where's GiantBombing?

Posted by Dan_CiTi

Wooooo Jedah rules!

Posted by ThreeRoneC

I think it's pretty cool how it has an achievement progress tracker and shows your level and stuff on the side of the screen. Making use of those side bars!

Edited by SleepyDoughnut

So, judging by the guy Vinny plays at the end there, how many fighting games have Yoshimitsu type looking dudes in them? Because I thought Tekken and Soul Calibur was enough, but considering how similar that dude looks, it could be way more?

Edited by Doppelgamer

Poor controllers. They really get beaten down in this quick look.

Edited by NostalgicShakedown

Haven't played Darkstalkers in ages but loved the game. I remember seeing the high level matches and how dangerous some characters can be. Also how strict was the timing in pulling off the basic light -> medium -> heavy combos? It was hard to tell from the quick look because when Jeff was doing it in the training mode, he was having a hard time.

Edited by SpudBug

Why not spend like 10 or 15 minutes learning a basic combo or chain in these games before the quick look? Darkstalkers uses a chaining system similar to Marvel VS Capcom and SFxT, so simple combos aren't timing based.

Even a minute long overview of a character guide before the video would let them show off what makes one or two characters unique and why this game is any different than other fighting games.

I think the audience and jeff and vinny would appreciate the games more above a superficial "jump around and hit buttons" level. I think fighting games are probably the only genre where preparing for a quick look makes sense, because the audience just doesn't get much out of watching two people mash buttons for 30 minutes.

Especially for an older game such as this a minimal amount of prep would go a long way.

Edited by Phr4nk0

Why does God Fetus have an eye in it's foot?

Edited by EarthBowl

@hockeymask27: I couldn't agree with you more sir, The more Vinny we get in QL's the better it will be for everyone!

Edited by redelectric

@evelgest said:

No one's teaching basics on Twitch?

A couple to mention:

UltraChenTV YouTube

Option Select

Rushdown Live - Valle's new series that started yesterday.

This. I find that ultrachen is SUPER deep as far as showing different schools of thought in fighting games. Meter managers, space management, when to press buttons..James Chen does a great job.

Edited by thetenthdoctor

I played so much Vampire Savior on my import Dreamcast, it always looks weird to me seeing "BB Hood" instead of "Bulleta".

Edited by HellknightLeon
Posted by Nettacki

Vinny talking about stereo panning and, at least watching on Youtube, I am pretty sure the audio is mono.

yeah, if you're using 240p. The audio is most definitely stereo on 480p and above.

Posted by CrashTanuki

They pretty much nail the biggest issue I have with every single Capcom fighting game, which are the terrible tutorials that are only for people that already know what they're doing. Not showing the buttons for the moves they ask you to do is a huge oversight for a tutorial.

Edited by Griffinmills

@evelgest said:

No one's teaching basics on Twitch?

A couple to mention:

UltraChenTV YouTube

Option Select

Rushdown Live - Valle's new series that started yesterday.

This. I find that ultrachen is SUPER deep as far as showing different schools of thought in fighting games. Meter managers, space management, when to press buttons..James Chen does a great job.

Big time second on James Chen and partner Ultra David. Two great fighting scene dudes and my favorite match commentators.

Posted by Branthog

Never heard of Darkstalkers. Looks like it was arcade-only and I haven't been to the arcade since about 1992 or 1993 (and this came out in 1994, I think).

Posted by Deusoma

I had forgotten how bananas the character designs were in Darkstalkers, I might just look into this.

Posted by brink87

"Be Jedah. Be Jedah." fffff.

Posted by BagManForHire

Darksralkers 3 character select music is so good!!!!!!!

Edited by PliggeTheFallen

I always appreciate more Darkstalkers! One of my favorite fighting franchises.

Posted by Zaxex

@crashtanuki: I used to think that, but their notations end up being pretty practical, it's something you learn. Maybe an alternative, optional setting to show which buttons you'll have to hit, but even those will vary depending on your choice of controls.

I have more of a problem with how impenetrable fighting games are, there are hundreds of concepts I'd never have understood without looking on forums and spending hundreds of hours in (an un-optimized) training mode. The games themselves explain next to nothing, hopefully this will improve over time.

Edited by paulunga

@branthog said:

Never heard of Darkstalkers. Looks like it was arcade-only and I haven't been to the arcade since about 1992 or 1993 (and this came out in 1994, I think).

Nah, one and three came out for PS1 and Saturn in North America as well.

Posted by paulunga

That triple shoryuken Lilith does looks like something that should be in Street Fighter Rainbow Edition.