24 Comments
Posted by laserbolts
Edited by Video_Game_King

@laserbolts:

It really isn't, especially since it runs better full-screen than it does windowed. How does that even work?

Posted by laserbolts

I bought Hydrophobia about a year ago and have never played it. Still not sure if its worth the time.

Posted by Turambar

@mento said:

@equitasinvictus: @turambar: It definitely says something about how busted the new site is that any of the extant issues it's carried over are immediately forgiven. "Forget that old bug, we got a whole mess of new ones to worry about"?

Anyway, I was going to suggest the Google thing to search for blogs also. It's what I do whenever I want to find one of my older ones for linking purposes. Hey, guess what, it's not a good time for blogging right now, everyone. I suggest we all move into lists; at least the infrastructure for those works.

Also watch me whine some more. Back to this dumb VGCW archive footage I'm inexplicably captivated by.

The footage is captivating because it uses Super Robot Wars music during matches.

Posted by Mento

@equitasinvictus: @turambar: It definitely says something about how busted the new site is that any of the extant issues it's carried over are immediately forgiven. "Forget that old bug, we got a whole mess of new ones to worry about"?

Anyway, I was going to suggest the Google thing to search for blogs also. It's what I do whenever I want to find one of my older ones for linking purposes. Hey, guess what, it's not a good time for blogging right now, everyone. I suggest we all move into lists; at least the infrastructure for those works.

Also watch me whine some more. Back to this dumb VGCW archive footage I'm inexplicably captivated by.

Posted by Turambar

@mento said:

I forgot to do the @video_game_king thing in that last comment and we've proven that editing them back in afterwards doesn't do a damn thing, so here's another reply so you know someone responded. Man, is this new website still very stupid.

Wasn't that an issue in the old website as well?

Edited by Demoskinos

I've seen Hydrophobia as low as $2.50 and always thought it was still too much to pay.

Posted by Video_Game_King
Edited by mrfluke

@pyromagnestir said:

@mrfluke said:

@video_game_king said:

@pyromagnestir said:

When I finish it I'll suppose I'll be back to see if you wrote a blog about it.

I did. Oh so very long ago. (But it's impossible to find, since there aren't any tools that I know of for searching out blogs to any extent.)

nope theres none, that dude will have to dig through pages to find the older stuff.

Or I'll just have to type "fragile dreams video_game_king giantbomb" into google and click the first link that comes up.

true, its a lot more cumbersome though

Edited by pyromagnestir

@mrfluke said:

@video_game_king said:

@pyromagnestir said:

I did. Oh so very long ago. (But it's impossible to find, since there aren't any tools that I know of for searching out blogs to any extent.)

nope theres none, that dude will have to dig through pages to find the older stuff.

Or I'll just have to type "fragile dreams video_game_king giantbomb" into google and click the first link that comes up.

@mrfluke:

I'd say that the staff should work on it, but there are bigger issues to treat first, like why it's harder to caption images now than it was a few months ago.

Posted by mrfluke

@pyromagnestir said:

Edited by pyromagnestir

Hello? Is anyone there? VGK? I read your blog. Can you hear me? It was alright, considering I haven't played either of these games and only know the first one from a quick look which made the game look pretty bland and uninteresting. Sounds like that impression wasn't far off from the truth I guess? Hello?

This place seems kinda dead... I guess I'll be going then.

On an unrelated note, Fragile Dreams is alright. I was briefly very excited when I initially booted up the game and the first half hour made it seem like it could be a click and point adventure game in disguise, but then they went and introduced the combat mechanics... I suppose the game could have been a lot better than alright if the weapons weren't even more fragile than the titular dreams, or the combat weren't so... not fun. Or if I just completely ignored the inventory management aspect of the game instead of constantly trying to pick up as much stuff as I can carry and venturing back to the fireplace to see what it is/unload it all. Everything else about the game is pretty fantastic so far, though. When I finish it I'll suppose I'll be back to see if you wrote a blog about it.

Also, Persona is going to take you a long time.

I'm all too aware. I've been dying a lot after the first boss battle, although I think that's because Brooklyn was tired.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

@video_game_king: That came from it being 2 in the morning and me currently playing through Fuuin no Tsurugi. Also, maybe you've heard, but Awakening is dope. Also, Persona is going to take you a long time.

Also, FE6 is kind of bland and has poor level design. That is all.

Where's this coming from? Did you know that I finally got Awakening today, and that listening to Thracia 776 has given me massive nostalgia attacks? Unfortunately, Persona was here first, and I'm already 100 screenshots deep. (I'm barely past the first boss.)

Posted by ArbitraryWater

@video_game_king Now I kind of want you to play vanilla, unpatched Hydrophobia. Because if the second remade version of the game is considered mediocre, I'd wonder how the original version would play. Also, FE6 is kind of bland and has poor level design. That is all.

Posted by EquitasInvictus

@mento: Wait, I thought using "@" never worked through an edit even on the old website?

@mento said:

Man, is this new website still very stupid.

I'm all too aware. I plan on using Nanako'Sho in the latest blog that I'm writing (because that's the blog where I finally reveal why such a thing exists), but gallery browsing won't let that happen. Plus everything else about images that isn't good. Anyway, time to comment on something relevant:

I seem to recall that it had something of a buggy mislaunch, received a lot of bad press and then couldn't get anyone interested in it again once they'd patched most of the problems a few months after the fact

Wait, does that mean Hydrophobia was buggier than Ghost Gun up there? I don't even want to know what THAT would have been like. Yeesh.

Water terrible torrent of puns I'm pouring out here for all to sea; I'm so washamed.

Man, this is getting to be a teddious. Teddious blog. Wait, I haven't posted that video, yet.

I'd recommend both those particular RPGs, Mystic Ark for the music and Rudra for the swearing magic system I made a video of back in my GameSpot days.

Posted by Mento

I forgot to do the @video_game_king thing in that last comment and we've proven that editing them back in afterwards doesn't do a damn thing, so here's another reply so you know someone responded. Man, is this new website still very stupid.

Posted by Mento

I feel bad for Hydrophobia because I keep seeing it for sale for almost nothing. But then I realise there are plenty of less well-received games out there that never willingly drop their own asking price to a pittance, and I suspect the developers/publishers are more interested in getting people to try their game than actually profiting from it at this point, which is actually uncommonly awesome and forward-thinking of them. I seem to recall that it had something of a buggy mislaunch, received a lot of bad press and then couldn't get anyone interested in it again once they'd patched most of the problems a few months after the fact - something I feel might happen again with this SimCity debacle, once EA and Maxis finally admit that their silly "always online" fixture isn't quite so inflexible as they claim and drop it for the sake of whoever is still interested after all this awful word of mouth.

Talking of water games: Sink or Swim, SOS, Wetrix, Vessel, Puddle and, uh, Waterworld? You shouldn't have any problem building a whole season of blogs around these things; we're practically drowning in them. Or they're pooling around our ankles, at least. Water terrible torrent of puns I'm pouring out here for all to sea; I'm so washamed.

Obviously I've never played your SuFami game du jour, but I did find a complete list of SNES RPGs somewhere that I'm semi-curious to try out. I've played at least a bit of all the ones that have seen US/EU releases, but it's only about a third of what's out there. I ought to play Mystic Ark and Treasure of the Rudras at the very least, since I hear their fan translations are top-notch. Then again, I said all this about Genesis games a while ago and point-and-click adventure games before that, so I should probably commit to something already. I think for the time being it'll be watching the archives of that stupid VGCW show that Jeff and Intern Ben got me into.