33 Comments
Edited by RE_Player1

I, Borg is a classic.

Posted by The_Laughing_Man

Hugh makes a return later on. I do think its when Data's brother comes around.

Edited by HaltIamReptar

I just recently saw "The High Ground". When Star Trek really got down into it, they absolutely encapsulated the human condition. It's kind of eerie how much its theme of the nature of terrorism and oppression are still relevant today.

Edited by EpicSteve

Yeah. Data's brother took advantage of some of the Borg's individuality and tried to build an army.

...Not to sound like a giant Star Trek nerd. But the entire thing is still fresh in my mind.

Edited by Rorie

TNG is great. The later series would get kind of silly when they tried to push the real-world analogies (T'Pol on Enterprise gets Vulcan AIDS, for instance, and has to deal with the shame of being shunned by her people), and TNG could get a bit heavy-handed (the episode about warp speed ruining the space-time continuum was a bit stilted), but for the most part it hit a level of quality that few sci-fi shows have ever really tried to match. I like Deep Space Nine more as a space opera, but it's a different kind of beast.

Staff Online
Posted by The_Laughing_Man

@the_laughing_man said:

Yeah. Data's brother took advantage of some of the Borg's individuality and tried to build an army.

...Not to sound like a giant Star Trek nerd. But the entire thing is still fresh in my mind.

Then Data is allowed to feel emotions. The first one being anger.

Edited by villainy

@rorie: Having staff regularly posting on the forums (outside of bug reporting) is super weird but I'm really enjoying it. The fact that it's you, lover of games as well as TV/movies is fantastic!

Seeing this thread pop up I suddenly want to watch all of TNG again... What's the cheapest legal way to watch this stuff these days?

Edit: Oh god all 7 seasons are on Amazon Prime for a grand total of $0.00. Damn you @epicsteve for triggering the Star Trek portion of my brain!!

Edited by zFUBARz

TNG is a very well rounded show, and when the beard grew it got really good. Also all very excellent episodes mentioned. I've been rewatching them again on netflix this last year. I like a lot of DS9 as well but it's not nearly as good throughout.

Posted by Rorie

@epicsteve said:

@the_laughing_man said:

And we all know where that leads.

Staff Online
Edited by The_Laughing_Man

@rorie said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@epicsteve said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Heya Rorie. Nice to have you back dude.

Edited by zFUBARz

@rorie said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@epicsteve said:

@the_laughing_man said:

You can't really blame Anakin, I'd have gone to the dark side in those circumstances as well.

Posted by Rorie

@villainy: Good to be here! I'm pretty sure they're all on Netflix, too.

Staff Online
Posted by iceman228433

If you can make it past those first 2 seasons that show is so amazing not DS9 good, but still dam good.

Posted by Rorie
Staff Online
Posted by Korwin

You missed The Drumhead, it's up there with The Measure of a Man as far as social/moral conundrums go (it's also incredibly relevant in today's world).

Edited by Korwin

@rorie said:

and TNG could get a bit heavy-handed (the episode about warp speed ruining the space-time continuum was a bit stilted),

What's funny is that episode was essentially the inspiration for the original overarching plot for Mass Effect :P

Edited by WesleyWyndam

My favorites:

S02E09 - The Measure Of A Man

S03E03 - The Survivors

S03E16 - The Offspring

S03E26 - The Best Of Both Worlds (1)

S04E01 - The Best Of Both Worlds (2)

S04E21 - The Drumhead

S05E25 - The Inner Light

S06E11 - Chain Of Command (2)

S06E15 - Tapestry

Posted by JasonR86

@epicsteve:

Fantastic picks. I enjoyed all of those too though I, Borg is kind of the weak link for me. But the Inner Light episode is awesome. When I saw Inception all I could think of was that episode. You know, for a second or two. BUT I THOUGHT ABOUT IT!

Edited by McGhee

All the aliens don't speak English. Starfleet uses "universal translators" that are able to decipher and translate unknown alien languages on the fly.

Edited by zFUBARz

@mcghee said:

All the aliens don't speak English. Starfleet uses "universal translators" that are able to decipher and translate unknown alien languages on the fly.

Meh, serves the same purpose as what the OP stated, Allows for them to bypass the language barrier issue except for the few rare cases where they want to address it. Instead focusing on good storytelling and drama.

Edited by Noitwont

I am currently working my way through TNG as well. I am about midway through season 5 now, but I thought S03E03 - The Survivors was fantastic.

Posted by Skytylz

TNG is so good. I think I like it better than DS9 simply because it doesn't get bogged down in a constant war at the end like DS9. Every fucking episode of DS9 at the end was like: "Oh no the Jem hadar!" -> 10 episode build up -> fight!

Anyways, all the episodes you listed are so good. Inner light is some fantastic story telling.

Edited by EpicSteve

@rorie said:

All the Star Trek is on Netflix, minus Generations and FIrst Contact.

Edited by MattyFTM

You need to watch Deep Space Nine next. DS9 is a masterpiece. It's very different to TNG, but it's awesome.

Voyager also has some great episodes, but there are a lot of bad ones to wade through to get to the good parts. In fact I'd maybe consider "Real Life" to be the best episode in any Star Trek series. It would be a close run contest between that and "The Visitor" from DS9, though.

Edited by Seppli

I was always too cool for school when it came to TNG, back when it was on TV initially. It was Star Wars all the way for me. Eventually I caved to all the nerd love for it, and put down roughly a 1000$ for the whole series on DVD, sometime in the early 2000s. It was totally worth it. Can't quite name specific episodes, but the Borg and Data stuff is certainly amongst my favorites.

Posted by Fribain

@mattyftm: Yeah, DS9 is fantastic. Garak quickly became my favorite character out of all the shows . Too bad he wasn't in more episodes

Posted by Korwin

@rorie said:

All the Star Trek is on Netflix, minus Generations and FIrst Contact.

Those are some rather large omissions.

Edited by WinterSnowblind

You should definitely watch DS9 next, if you haven't already. There's some really good character stuff in there, especially when they start dealing with the nature of war and how it effects people, not just the soldiers. I think it's dismissed by a lot of fans for departing from the typical "humans have evolved into infallible beings!" that the earlier seasons preached, but it's arguably an even better show than TNG.

It's such a shame Voyager and Enterprise utterly failed to live up to either of those shows.

Posted by damswedon

I like the episode where Scotty shows back up and they recreate the old Enterprise bridge in the holoroom.

Other than that I'm not a fan of The Next Generation, at that time I was growing up watching Red Dwarf instead so that set my standards for what I want from Sci-Fi.

Edited by Liquidus

I'm currently watching TNG for the first time too. I'm almost done Season 4 and I've really been enjoying it especially once I got into Season 3. Some of my favorite episodes so far would be The Measure of a Man(the only good thing in Season 2), Yesterday's Enterprise, Best of Both Worlds and pretty much any episode with Q, they're not always the best but they're typically pretty fun.

Edited by hawkinsn

@wesleywyndam said:

S02E09 - The Measure Of A Man

S03E16 - The Offspring

These are the two I always think of as well. I have a special connection with "The Offspring," because I convinced somebody who thought they could never like Star Trek: TNG to watch this episode with me. She loved it. I saw her last week after not having seen her since last year. She was wearing a Star Trek shirt.

Posted by Ben_H

I really like the episode in season 5 where they are caught in a time warp and keep experiencing the same thing over and over again, but get increasing feeling of deja vu until they eventually figure it out, and find out the ship that kept crashing into them was stuck in that rip in the space-time continuum for 80 years.

Also, the episode where Picard gets trapped on a planet with the captain of a race they couldn't communicate with using the Universal Translator. He realizes they speak in metaphors near the end. I found that one fascinating.

S04E03 is pretty good. I love all the insane stuff Data does while he hijacks the Enterprise so he can go see a dying Noonian Soong. I like pretty much everything that involves Data and Lore though. I always found that storyline interesting.

Posted by Dtat

TNG makes such good use of its somewhat humble production values. They build up so much tension with almost no action it's brilliant. A great example of this is in The Ensigns of Command. The central conflict is resolved through Picard's clever interpretation of a confusingly-written treaty. It's amazing that something like that is made to be exciting.

My personal favorite episode is Darmok. I love how in TNG people are willing to risk their lives for the possibility of establishing friendly ties with new races. So much more interesting than constant 'splosions and fights with the "bad aliens."