16 Comments
Edited by ArbitraryWater

@mento:The infinite Ferrystone you get for having vanilla DD on your hard drive and the number of extra portalstones in Dark Arisen remove most of the problems I had with Dragon's Dogma, at least as far as traversal is concerned. It's still Dragon's Dogma, so if there were other things that turned you off (if you got to level 30, then you clearly played a respectable amount) any of the other small tweaks won't be enough to change your mind. But I'm also part of that contingent who really loves Dragon's Dogma, so they were excuse enough for me to jump back in.

I think Blood Dragon is actually better than the original in some ways because it doesn't wear out its welcome the way vanilla FC3 does. As evidenced by my love of Might and Magic VII, Temple of Elemental Evil and Dishonored, I guess I do like smaller, more compact experiences.

@mento said:

but it was a decent enough game. Well, until the final chapter at least.

I could see how someone wouldn't like the final chapter of that game. While I expect the final chapter of any given ace attorney game to be crazy and over-the-top, the final encounter of Edgeworth may draw the line with how protracted it gets. I guess I'm far more interested in AA5 since it's confirmed a western release, but my inner completionist hates that there's a game in the series that I can't play without resorting to overly-literal fan translations, regardless of quality.

Edited by Mento

Fashionably late! Let's check this list out.

Dragon's Dogma seems to really be finding a dedicated userbase through word of mouth since last year, kind of like Demon's Souls did back in its day. I know DD had its supporters around release (like Kev Van Ord) but I couldn't look past the vast amount of uneventful travelling the game insisted you do in lieu of a convenient form of fast travel. It's possible I was spoiled rotten by Xenoblade Chronicles, which I played earlier that same year. I do wonder how my level 30 pawn Sycorax is doing though. She's probably holding onto like a thousand rotten wolf meats for me.

Blood Dragon was just impressive from a functional perspective. I know people are fixated on how well the humor may or may not work, but I think the precedent of building smaller standalone games on extant engines and charging less for them is more exciting and I'm hoping it becomes more widespread. Seems like a really good way of promoting the core game too; more than a hour-long demo would, at least.

I've been sitting on Two Worlds II forever. I think I won a copy from the GB Steamgifts group. Probably ought to do something with it eventually.

The Miles Edgeworth game was OK. I'm not as bothered as I thought I'd be that its sequel doesn't appear to be getting localized (I'd be way more interested in the third Chibi Robo) but it was a decent enough game. Well, until the final chapter at least.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

@ilikepopcans: Both. It's a midquel that takes place during the second half of the 4th Fire Emblem Game (Seisen no Keifu) and a sadistic monster difficulty-wise (though still easier than Lunatic mode in Awakening). Of course, Seisen no Keifu is a great Fire Emblem game in its own right, so you wouldn't be remiss playing that one first.

Edited by ILikePopCans

@arbitrarywater Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 huh, makes me want to play it. Does the story matter at all in the game, like should I read up on the previous games in the direct story cause I'm reading it takes place in the middle of a earlier game. Also being a Japan only game it could be dick hard, so is their a difficulty settings and should I play on the lower one?

Posted by ArbitraryWater

@ilikepopcans: Favorite Fire Emblem? Probably Thracia 776, maybe Path of Radiance. Awakening is pretty fantastic as well, as evidenced by the 50 hours I have sunk into it thus far.

Edited by ArbitraryWater

@ilikepopcans: Favorite Fire Emblem? Probably Thracia 776, maybe Path of Radiance. Awakening is pretty fantastic as well, as evidenced by the 50 hours I have sunk into it thus far.

Posted by JouselDelka

@rorie said:

I wish everything was on PC.

Ok, I like you now Rorie.

Edited by ILikePopCans

@arbitrarywater
Favorite Fire Emblem game GO.

Been stumbling my way through Awanking (fuck random enemy reinforcements) and was just wondering what your all times are.

Edited by Yummylee

@arbitrarywater: Fair enough then. Though even without speedrunning RE2, 4th Survivor I thought was pretty easy to unlock. So long as you got an A per scenario (which, time wise, required you complete it under 3 hours I think) and then boom, a seemingly never ending montage of unlockables!

4th Survivor's pretty damn difficult, I agree. Took me many a time to complete it, but just you wait until you unlock the Tofu Survivor... Battle Game isn't all that great, though it does have the novelty of eventually just dropping everything in there on the higher difficulties. I'm talking stuff like entering the RPD car park only for Birkin's canine maw-mouthed monstrosity awaiting you within.

Plus there's the added bonus of unlocking a better looking PS1 polygon of Chris Redfield! What's especially neat is since Chris is more combat-experienced than RE2 era Leon, he can actually withstand the recoil of the shotgun a lot better than Leon can. He also has his own unique STARS beretta pistol at that, which has a faster fire-rate than the other RE2 pistols and has a pretty solid chance to pop a zombie's head with every shot at that.

Posted by Veektarius

I heard a lot of that buzz about Two Worlds 2 but when I tried it I didn't make it more than a couple hours. The combat was just so loose and the encounters so poorly balanced. More power to you, though.

Edited by ArbitraryWater

@yummylee: Nope, have yet to see Bitterblack Isle, and was only thinking of getting anywhere near it once I had reached the postgame.

As for 4th survivor, you have to remember that: A. This was my first active attempt to speedrun RE2. and B.The last time I finished all scenarios I was playing the N64 version and my N64 controllers weren't exactly in great condition. 4th survivor is... really hard though. Only having two green herbs especially. As you might have suspected, I have yet to touch the extreme battle game, which I also unlocked for being speedy.

Posted by Winternet

Hello, my name is Buckteload of Random Games. You wanna fight?

Posted by Ben_H

I have a sealed copy of Ace Attorney Investigations that is waiting to be played. I want to play through Ace Attorney 3 first before going into Investigations. I am near the end of the last case of Ace Attorney 2 right now so it will be a bit.

Edited by Yummylee

So have you not actually explored amidst DD's new area I take it? Well be prepared for when you do, you're going to want to be around level 80ish before venturing in I'd say, so it was a good idea that you least play through the main game again... Better give it another run just in case, though.

No, seriously, Bitterblack Isles is a motherfucker and is parts enjoyably challenging and then downright broken in others.

Even still, Dark Arisen made a great bevy of appreciatable improvements. A lot of my original complaints still stand, though. But they're a lot more grander than what I'd expect from a Capcom re-release to address anywhoo. I'll have to hold off on my Chimera mounts and an open-world that's actually dynamic for the sequel.

Also, I added you a while back on the 360 but I'm pretty sure you declined... But then when you receive a random email from a BrianMcIrish, I wouldn't blame you.

Also also, do you mean to tell me that you've only just recently, like within the span of these past few days, have unlocked the 4th survivor in RE2?!

Edited by ArbitraryWater

@rorie said:

Still need to make some time to play Dragon's Dogma. I barely started (got to the point where I cut off the hydra's first head), but real life, Neverwinter, and Tomb Raider have all distracted me. It's so much work to lean over and turn on my XBox! I wish everything was on PC.

I've pretty much started going in the direction of PC exclusivity as far as modern games are concerned, at least until my laptop becomes outdated again. It's a specific bummer in the case of Dragon's Dogma because I feel like that game would look fantastic on a PC with maxed settings.

Posted by Rorie

Still need to make some time to play Dragon's Dogma. I barely started (got to the point where I cut off the hydra's first head), but real life, Neverwinter, and Tomb Raider have all distracted me. It's so much work to lean over and turn on my XBox! I wish everything was on PC.

Staff