22 Comments
Posted by Claude

I bought Amnesia and for some reason, I can't bring myself to finish it. Hell, I've barely even scratched the surface of it. I think I know why. The mouse and keyboard have lost favor with me. I want all my pc games to have controller support.

Posted by cloudnineboya

i have never commented on your blogs before for the games you talk about don't interest me, but they are well written and enjoyable to read you are spot on about amnesia it was the first horror game i played on pc and have not come across a better one yet. totally correct about not having a clue where to go next but i think that adds to the crazzy.

Posted by Video_Game_King

@claude:

But it's a first person game; those are meant for mouse and keyboard.

Edited by CaLe

Amnesia isn't just a game that scared me, it's also the game that made me realize that I love the feeling of being scared. I had played the Penumbra games before and they brought me close to fear, but not to the same degree Amnesia did. In some ways I'm glad there are so few games capable of arousing that fear because I imagine it's a feeling that becomes numbed the more you experience it, like everything else really. To some extent you also have to meet the game half-way when it comes to this stuff because so much of it is the atmosphere and the build-up to those big moments. If someone plays it during the day, curtains open, music playing in the background, there's no way it's gonna have the same impact. You have to want the experience to get it. I suppose this too can be said for most things, but I feel there are probably fewer people who purposely seek fear over other emotions.

Edited by Video_Game_King

@cale said:

In some ways I'm glad there are so few games capable of arousing that fear because I imagine it's a feeling that becomes numbed the more you experience it, like everything else really.

I'd say it's more because a lot of games simply don't know how to be scary. The only one I can name that even came close to the level of fear that Amnesia has is Clock Tower (the original one, not the crappy PS1 sequel), and now that I think about it, they share a lot in common: a large mansion with a single scary monster roaming around, no combat, confusing environments (which I seem to be more willing to integrate into the experience now), ham. I'd go so far as to say that no combat is a requirement for a good survival horror game. Otherwise, the focus is going to shift toward the clunkiest action adventure game imaginable.

If someone plays it during the day, curtains open, music playing in the background, there's no way it's gonna have the same impact. You have to want the experience to get it.

Uh, that's actually how I played Amnesia, to some extent (without the music, of course; that's just dumb), and, well, I still liked it.

Edited by Mento

Yup, Amnesia. It's a shame when you can brace yourself from the darkness/insanity scares 'cause darting out from light source to light source was the best part of that game. I didn't care so much for when actual monsters started showing up (well, besides that awesome invisible fish thing), since the game's metaphysical antagonist was a much cooler idea: that you'd be in greater physical danger the more scared you were, and how it naturally followed that you'd get more scared the more danger you were in. It was nice of the game to break up the scary monster-infested areas with a few pleasant and well lit puzzle rooms (I'm thinking specifically of that area before the lift with all the gears and such) but I wonder what the goal of those rooms were considering how much of the rest of the game is focused on trying to make you have a dark descent in your pantaloons. Maybe temporarily reprieving you of the horror made it all seem fresh again when it came back? It's well-paced, whatever the case.

Splatterhouse I'm less familiar with. Does this mean you've just got the third one left to go? Apparently it was so violent it never saw a European release. Or maybe it just wasn't very good. Can't say that series has ever appealed to me.

@mento said:

Splatterhouse I'm less familiar with. Does this mean you've just got the third one left to go?

Pretty much, but what to pair it with? Is A Machine for Pigs on the horizon any time soon?

Posted by Claude

@claude:

It sucks that Giant Bomb is broken when it comes to letting me know when someone is talking to me. I might decide to let go the yearly membership. But the fuck they care...right? I'm small potatoes when it comes to the CBSi pie.

To answer your question. Fuck no. I love playing FPS games on my PC with a controller. For fucks sake, it's 2013, get the fuck over yourselves and give me my wants. I'm not playing some over the top hard motherfucking core competitive shooter online. I'm a casual gamer, wanting his PC to play on his TV with his controller. I'm looking for fun. For my immersion. Simple really.

@claude:

I was arguing more from a position of precision and just feeling natural. For instance, I didn't get why mouse/keyboard controls were all the rage until Half-Life 2 on the PC came along. You can never go back after something like that.

Posted by Claude

@claude:

I was arguing more from a position of precision and just feeling natural. For instance, I didn't get why mouse/keyboard controls were all the rage until Half-Life 2 on the PC came along. You can never go back after something like that.

That's bullshit. I was thinking the other day how Half-Life 2 would be cool to play again with analog controls. I've played that game at least 4 times to finish. I have never really felt comfortable with mouse and keyboard. I deal with it of course. I like games like Civ, Anno, and a few other games of that nature, but there again, Dawn of Discovery played great on the Wii. Cool game by the way.

Not really. Just pointing to where you want to look feels so much more natural than moving the stick in that direction. More direct; clearer feedback and whatnot.

Orange Box, dude. And the Xbox version. And just plugging in a gamepad.

I have not played that game, but feel like I should. (I also feel like "Crystal Chronicles" is somewhere in the title.)

Posted by stubbleman

So have you played Haunting Ground or ObsCure before? Because those are two of the first horror games I think of for not-clunky controls, though they do both have combat in them. I'm curious where they would rate on your not scary scale I guess. I still found them really scary and really fun at the same time.

@stubbleman:

I feel like I've heard of them (Haunting Ground is the PS2 successor to Clock Tower (or was that Rule of Rose?), Obscure's just some Wii game based on....something), but have yet to actually play them.

Edited by Mento

Nah, Dawn of Discovery was what Anno 1404 was called in the States. Claude's love of that historical building sim is well documented. By Claude.

I've kind of grown out of keyboard controls because it's less conducive to longer sessions of gaming. I feel there's a distant signpost with "genetically-predisposed rheumatoid arthritis" written on it that is being dug up and replanted closer and closer to my present location whenever I come off of an hours-long keyboard-based gaming session and my little finger feels all messed up.

Posted by Claude

@video_game_king:

Poor translation to the consoles. Looking more toward gamepad support for the PC versions. It might be there my now, should check it out. Fuck the consoles in that department.

I love analog. Sorry. So shoot me.

Dawn of Discovery on the Wii is grand. Just an inch of salt, water and grain and it would have filled the field green with envy.

Posted by Yummylee

@stubbleman: Huh, I've recently been considering in giving Haunting Ground a look see after playing Clock Tower 3. Problem is it's always being sold for what I would consider to be too expensive for a so-many-years-old PS2 game. Usually at around £12-£15 mind, so it's not some triple digit nonsense number like you'd find on Ebay for certain classics, but still a bit pricey all the same. Especially since Clock Tower 3 was about £4 at that.

Posted by believer258

@claude said:

@video_game_king:

Poor translation to the consoles. Looking more toward gamepad support for the PC versions. It might be there my now, should check it out. Fuck the consoles in that department.

I love analog. Sorry. So shoot me.

Dawn of Discovery on the Wii is grand. Just an inch of salt, water and grain and it would have filled the field green with envy.

How was it poor? I played the Orange Box on 360 several times and it's a fine way to play the game if you don't have a PC or just prefer controller support. The only difference, from what I remember, is the framerate, which the console versions have locked at a rock-solid 30.

But if you must play the PC version with a controller, then click this link. Also,

@claude said:

@video_game_king said:

@claude:

It sucks that Giant Bomb is broken when it comes to letting me know when someone is talking to me. I might decide to let go the yearly membership. But the fuck they care...right? I'm small potatoes when it comes to the CBSi pie.

Notifications were turned off for everybody when they messed up last week; you can go into settings and turn them back on.

Posted by Ravenlight
Posted by stubbleman

@yummylee: Yeah. It's probably more expensive because it's a much more recent game, and it's a much better game, in my opinion anyway. The story, graphics and gameplay are all simillar, just better done on the whole. I wouldn't say it's the best horror game of all time or anything, but it's definitely one of my favorites.

Posted by Slag

@video_game_king

I suspected that Splatterhouse might have been bad. Sounds like you think it is.

That is a series I've always meant to play out of curiosity. I remember the ad campaign for 1, ads were everywhere game was heavily promoted. I think there was even tv ads, which made local news stories about violent games being promoted to kids. It felt like their ad budget was nearly on par with a Sonic or Mario game. But 2 wasn't hyped at all, and it kind of disappeared out of public view after that which made me the ink the series failed.

@slag:

Apparently, not enough to kill the chance of getting a sequel years later which I think got some positive reception? Nothing notable; just people saying, "Yea, that looks alright".

Posted by Slag

@video_game_king:

yeah clearly not a total failure, but I bet it didn't do what they were expecting.

when people talk about mid-tier or "aa" console games or whatever you want to call them, games like Splatterhouse is what I think of. Start out with bigger aspirations but end up middle of the pack in terms of budget, critical acclaim and sales.