6 Comments
Posted by Hailinel

In all honesty, I thought Dirge of Cerberus was far better than it had any right to be. It was kind of clunky and the final boss fight was a comical joke on the default difficulty, but I actually like that game for genuine reasons of enjoyment and not out of ironic detachment. I actually didn't realize (or maybe just forgot) that Monolith had anything to do with the game until you brought it up.

I'm really interested to see what the next Xeno game is like in whole, though. Xenoblade with mechs you can pilot, and also multiplayer sounds like a lot of fun.

Posted by Mento

@hailinel: I can believe that about Dirge of Cerberus. Most of the negative things I'd heard/read about it focused on how its convoluted story and how obfuscating some of its systems were, but the game itself didn't look like it was horribly broken at least. Guess it doesn't help that I'm not a fan of its central character or of Devil May Cry games in general (though I'm aware that I ought to play the third DMC before making up my mind about them).

What I'm most curious about regarding the mech piloting is why you'd want to run around without them? Maybe you just end up stomping most enemies for a fraction of their experience and no item drops, like how it is when you run people over in Borderlands/Dead Island. I'm sure they'll balance it somehow, maybe with some huge restrictions on when and where the mechs can be used.

Posted by Hailinel

@mento said:

@hailinel: I can believe that about Dirge of Cerberus. Most of the negative things I'd heard/read about it focused on how its convoluted story and how obfuscating some of its systems were, but the game itself didn't look like it was horribly broken at least. Guess it doesn't help that I'm not a fan of its central character or of Devil May Cry games in general (though I'm aware that I ought to play the third DMC before making up my mind about them).

What I'm most curious about regarding the mech piloting is why you'd want to run around without them? Maybe you just end up stomping most enemies for a fraction of their experience and no item drops, like how it is when you run people over in Borderlands/Dead Island. I'm sure they'll balance it somehow, maybe with some huge restrictions on when and where the mechs can be used.

The trailers seem to indicate that the mechs run on fuel that depletes as you fly around, at the very least. Also, I'd imagine that if Xenogears and Xenosaga are any indication, there will probably be times when using mechs won't actually be the huge advantage you'd think they'd be. Since you only played Xenosaga II, where the mechs were foisted on you at certain points, you might not be aware that you could switch in and out of mechs in XS1, and there were genuine advantages to being on foot in many cases.

Posted by Slag

@mento:

dude thanks for writing this! Until you wrote these two blogs I knew of Monolith but had no idea they had their hand in so many games as a secondary developer. I wonder what aspects of say Brawl and Skyward Sword they did.

I think Dirge of Cerberus never had a chance to be liked on its' own merits due to the "Final Fantasy Vii" sub-branding thrown on it. I thought it was little odd but alright and probably better than it was given credit for at the time. Almost all the shooters I've ever played have been American in origin so playing a Japanese developed shooter in a universe that was typically JRPG just felt alien. Not a fantastic game but definitely not as bad as many claimed.

When it hit stateside the Final Fantasy branding was just starting to really be questioned and there was this conventional wisdom from the fans that they "had" to go back to FF Vii mythos to save the series. So when they got this and Crisis Core instead of a "true sequel" the disappointment was palpable. Can't say I was too different from that mindset although I never wanted any more Final Fantasy Vii games as the story felt complete to me. It took awhile but once I got past what my mind was telling me a Final Fantasy Vii game had to be I was able to appreciate it more.

Edited by Pepsiman

I have a copy of Soma Bringer I've been meaning to play since getting back from Japan at some point. My understanding is that it's basically their take on Diablo? Perhaps I'll play it soon and write up a little class report on it since it always sounded neat and I obviously don't exactly need to wait for a translation to come out for it.

Also had no idea Monolith was involved with Dirge of Cerberus. I never played it, so I won't give it any flack that it may or may not deserve, but I remember the politics of its Japanese launch being really interesting. One of the very few instances I know of where Famitsu actually butted heads with a publisher, since apparently Square somehow compelled them to delay their negative review by nearly a month while the game racked in the sales. Not sure it sold super hot over there anyway, but yeah.

Posted by Mento

@pepsiman: From what I can tell, they had some sort of contractual work involving the graphics. Enough to score a mention in the credits anyway. It's probably about as deep as their association with Smash Bros Brawl, but it jumped out at me when I was reading their Wikipedia entry.

I'd love to hear more about Soma Bringer. If Monolith really hits it out of the park with this "X" game, there'll probably be a lot more interest in their past projects. Maybe Nintendo could remaster the two Baten Kaitoses in HD once they're done with Wind Waker? A guy can dream, I guess.