10 Comments
Edited by PerfidiousSinn

@jewunit: The game totally gives you the tools you need. Don't know how to put it more simply than that...it teaches you how to play it quite effectively. Hope you enjoy it!

@immortalsaiyan said:

TTT2 is an awesome fighter. One of my favorites out now for sure. The footsies game is so fun. I love how important movement is although I never got good at KBDing or anything like that. I also have issues with throw breaks in this game. Not an issue but the biggest hurdle to a newcomer I found.

My only problems with the game are the rage mechanic and infinite stages. The former is a silly comeback mechanic which feels out of place in such a fundamentals game as this where you could earn your comeback more with clean play. The latter take away stage positioning which I like a lot about 3-D fighters.

Y'know, I never had a huge problem with Rage. I'm not too fond of comeback mechanics in general, but I hardly noticed Rage. I was never losing a match and came back thanks to Rage or had an opponent make a crazy comeback thanks to it.

It's definitely no X-Factor.

Posted by jewunit

Thank you for this post! I was looking at this game recently since it's price seems to have dipped and I have been enjoying Tekken Revolution. In particular, I like it when a game has a big tutorial section to explore. The Fight Lab and Practice options sound very appealing. I may give this game a go some time in the future. Thank you again for your observations about the game!

Edited by ThePhantomnaut

@immortalsaiyan said:

My only problems with the game are the rage mechanic and infinite stages. The former is a silly comeback mechanic which feels out of place in such a fundamentals game as this where you could earn your comeback more with clean play. The latter take away stage positioning which I like a lot about 3-D fighters.

For infinite stages to still exist is a bit silly but since it's a tradition for Tekken, I understand what NBG is doing. Rage in TTT2 is fascinating since players can force opponents to get rage and pressure them into a situation to either take more damage and have a possible chance to raw tag in and use the partner's buffs to your advantage. The opponent can just tag crash in favor of safety but the offensive player might find a way to avoid tag crash and force the same situation once again.

Personally, rage has weird layers of risk/reward to it for both sides of the spectrum. I know it increases damage but hell, finding a good launcher and following it up with a high damaging Tag combo is too (especially on counter hit).

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

TTT2 is an awesome fighter. One of my favorites out now for sure. The footsies game is so fun. I love how important movement is although I never got good at KBDing or anything like that. I also have issues with throw breaks in this game. Not an issue but the biggest hurdle to a newcomer I found.

Posted by ThePhantomnaut

I am very much in love with Tekken after Tag 2 and been learning a lot since its release. Especially after playing this at EVO, I really learned a lot about fighting against people. Now I am trying to get into the Mishimas especially after using a Korean stick for a while. It's definitely a road worth traveling.

Posted by PerfidiousSinn

@sparky_buzzsaw: I'm brand new to the series so I know nothing of the characters or the lore. I just know the endings are really good in TTT2. Loved how they used so many different art styles.

@flstyle: I really want Tekken Ball on the 360 version. The Wii U version is clearly the best because it has Tekken Ball.

@gaspower said:

Great write up, @perfidioussinn! Also TTT2 probably has one of the best online code in a fighting game along with Soul Calibur V (which I suspect is the game they got the net code from in the first place). Even though it's not perfect it's better than any of the other current gen fighting games out right now (with the possible exception of games with GGPO but it also has it's own set of problems such as the rollback).

Also here's a legend of the nomenclature that is used in Tekken:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/legend.php

Also http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/ is probably one of the best resources for anything that is related to Tekken especially if you already past the beginner level, from character guides, advanced strategies, etc.

This is incredibly useful and I am bookmarking it. Thanks!

And yeah, it's kinda weird. I had no issue with Soul Calibur V's online but was getting lag spikes every other match in Tekken. It still mostly works and didn't hinder the game too much, but I saw more brief hitches than in SCV.

Posted by FLStyle

Nice job on the write-up, I did quite enjoy 4 player TTT2 on the Wii U the other night. Recommend it for a fun night if you're all similarly skilled.

Edited by GaspoweR

Great write up, @perfidioussinn! Also TTT2 probably has one of the best online code in a fighting game along with Soul Calibur V (which I suspect is the game they got the net code from in the first place). Even though it's not perfect it's better than any of the other current gen fighting games out right now (with the possible exception of games with GGPO but it also has it's own set of problems such as the rollback).

Also here's a legend of the nomenclature that is used in Tekken:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/legend.php

Also http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/ is probably one of the best resources for anything that is related to Tekken especially if you already past the beginner level, from character guides, advanced strategies, etc.

Posted by falserelic

That's a terrific write-up. I've been a Tekken fan since the second game, and I think this one's the highlight of the series in terms of its roster and depth. I'd like to see the story/endings fleshed out a little more, but they're certainly not terrible. I guess you can't expect much story from what is essentially a side-game to the story anyways.

I've been playing Tekken a long, long time and still regularly get my ass handed to me on a regular basis online. That said, it was one of the friendlier online communities I've seen, with a lot of "GG" messages sent after matches. The community has obviously shrunk, given the amount of time that's passed since the game's release, but it still occasionally has a few players online.

From my experience the community hasn't been friendly..

Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw

That's a terrific write-up. I've been a Tekken fan since the second game, and I think this one's the highlight of the series in terms of its roster and depth. I'd like to see the story/endings fleshed out a little more, but they're certainly not terrible. I guess you can't expect much story from what is essentially a side-game to the story anyways.

I've been playing Tekken a long, long time and still regularly get my ass handed to me on a regular basis online. That said, it was one of the friendlier online communities I've seen, with a lot of "GG" messages sent after matches. The community has obviously shrunk, given the amount of time that's passed since the game's release, but it still occasionally has a few players online.