140 Comments
  • 140 results
Posted by Jeff
Gaming's equivalent of the "Thrilla in Manilla" has finally gone down. The results have been posted and, just to get this out of the way up front, our hometown hero didn't pull through.

The long-awaited gaming bout between MTV Multiplayer's Stephen Totilo and Soulja Boy Tell 'Em's Soulja Boy Tell 'Em jumped off with a flurry of damaging blows from Totilo as he rocked Soulja at Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2. The future rap hall of famer (provided someone who hates rap music creates a rap hall of fame) responded with his game choice, Gears of War 2. It proved to be the right choice, as he was able to even the score and force a third, final round. That game turned out to be one that neither player was familiar with, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix. In what can only be described as a clumsy display of skill-less Street Fighting, Soulja Boy pulled out a victory at the end. A lucky win, to be sure, but a win nonetheless.

And, please, save the "if you can't throw a fireball, you shouldn't be writing about games" talk for some other time. We're all hurting here.

Here's the footage:

Heartbreak! And if you live in Canada or the UK, it's a double heartbreak, because this video probably won't play at all!

I'm not too certain what the exact stakes were, but if I'm reading this right, it means that everyone who writes about video games professionally is now forced to bow to Soulja Boy and treat him as our new god. Maybe this means we can get some of his terrific insight for Shawn Elliott's ongoing reviews symposium.
Staff
Posted by Timmy

Double heartbreak!

Posted by spiredcrescent

Agreed anyone thats been around gaming enough to write about it should at least know the fireball, its in way to many games.

Posted by Alpha1

Why didnt anybody sneaked up on soulja boy and chainsawed him in half??

Posted by delajed

"Heartbreak! And if you live in Canada or the UK, it's a double heartbreak, because this video probably won't play at all!"
lol.

Posted by Bunnyman

I had never heard of Soulja Boy until I read about him on Giant Bomb. I can't help but like something about a guy who annoys so many people.

Edited by Kersal_Massive

starts out with a animal crossing commercial with 2 chicks, and ends with soulja boy............

"Let me take mah Chainz off......."
Posted by TheGTAvaccine

Uuuuugh.

Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin

It's tough for everyone when you put these two in a room together. When they're apart it's easy to give a feel for both of them by saying something like Soulja Boy is a rapper like Stephen Totilo is a journalist. When you combine them it's hard to find another point of reference to explain how much they both suck.

Posted by Endogene

"throws shoe"

Posted by daniel_beck_90

nice title !!!

Posted by Impossibilium

what this means is that Braid is a crap game meant to be only played by people who smoke a lot of weed.

Giantbomb needs to change the Braid review score to reflect the correct review by Mr Boy.

Posted by ZmillA

wait...what?

Posted by mubress

Goddam you UK, let me down when I need you the most!!!

Posted by Kersal_Massive

wheres round 1 and 2? 

is there any videos of those?
Posted by get2sammyb

Where's Levio?

Posted by jangofett88
caption
Posted by Splitterguy

I would like to extend a "wow...just...just wow" to this entire topic.

Posted by Hexpane

Fake rappers and Blogging attention whores you meant?

Posted by FLStyle

Well atleast I got to see a great UK soldier advert before it wouldn't play, how does that even work?

Posted by Slique

I think I just died a little inside.

In fact, make that a lot.

Posted by Superspiritgun

...*bangs head on desk*

Posted by Chirotera

Someone has to step up and put Soulja in his place! Jeff? You think you're up to the task?

Posted by Yit

Ah, perhaps Levio was right...

Oh god.

Posted by Manachild

god damn it, i wanted soulja boy to get his ass handed.

Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin
Superspiritgun said:
"...*bangs head on desk*"

Jesus, I hope Head on Desk isn't the name of an Indian!
Posted by PitifullPete

I hope if earth gets attacked by evil bad musicians ever again, we won't elect to be represented by Tortilo in a video game fight conceiling the fate of all of us.

Posted by crunchUK
Endogene said:
""throws shoe""
fortunately neither has the superhuman shoe dodging capabilities of the US president :D
Posted by AndrewB

What it meas is that everyone who was ragging on Soulja Boy before this has egg on their faces. This is why I keep my mouth shut before I know what someone is capable of.

Posted by Wright

my heart is broken

Posted by Tearhead

Thanks for that, Jeff.  Now I feel dirty for being a videogame enthusiast.

Posted by Ono_Sendai

It's a sad day.

Posted by Arkthemaniac

Guys.

GUYS.

HE WORKS FOR MTV. He was probably PAID to lose. You know who won't lose, though?

These guys. An ACTUAL game site.

Posted by Systech

I'm beginning to kind of admire Soulja Boy throughout this whole mess. As an artist, he sucks. As a pretty cool dude to talk to, he's pretty rad. He's obviously into games like me and I am not a very good rapper, so when you think about it, we're not that different.

Edited by MordeaniisChaos

OH...
oh god....o.o
I think I'm....
I think I'm dead...
I knew I was going to hell >.<

Seriously, that looked like two anime characters spazzing out in the others general direction.
OH WAIT.

This is indeed a sad day for gamerscross the globe. We mourn the loss of our beloved dignity as a race.
/suicide

"Why didnt anybody sneaked up on soulja boy and chainsawed him in half??"
They would have, but sad, you had incorrect grammer, thus rending teh fabric of time and sucking the assassin into a vortex of unicorn babies.

Posted by TheWorstPlayerEver

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted by WEGGLES

SOmeone should put this on youtube so I can see it :\

Posted by MasterSplinter

That is truly hilarious.

Edited by Arkthemaniac
systech said:
"I'm beginning to kind of admire Soulja Boy throughout this whole mess. As an artist, he sucks. As a pretty cool dude to talk to, he's pretty rad. He's obviously into games like me and I am not a very good rapper, so when you think about it, we're not that different."
Huh.
So Levio is an alt for Systech . . .
Posted by SubTact

From the few game related Soulja Boy YouTube videos, it's pretty clear Soulja Boy likes playing video games.  I'd imagine he has a lot of downtime, so that probably makes for a lot of time to play the games he enjoys, and practice definitely goes a long way.

I wonder how old Totilo is?  Because I would've thought anyone in the age range of 28-35 that's been into video games for most of their livee, it would be pretty much a lock that they played Street Fighter 2 in the arcades or the SNES/Genesis versions.  I wasn't all that great at either version of SF2, but I pretty much knew how to do all the special moves for at least half the original 8.  SF2 and Mortal Kombat were integral parts of my youth.  I guess there's a chance he was just one of those guys who would was mostly playing JRPGs on the SNES instead.

Posted by TechnicallyProficient

Looks like Stephen Totilo's time travelling potion just ran out.

Posted by Duckbutter

and this guy writes about video games? how hard is it to throw a fireball? i mean, it's like, down, forward. i could pull off a fireball with one thumb and my love muscle (if its erect). Soulja Boi was a fuckin sperm when Street Fighter 2 came out yet he can pull off a Hadoooken with no problems. and this guy is supposed to be a video game journalist? the fuck?

Posted by VilhelmNielsen

I wish Soulja Boy would shut his damn mouth!

I'd also like a unicorn.

Posted by EvilTwin

I don't think I can handle any more bad news in one day.

Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin
VilhelmNielsen said:
"I'd also like a unicorn."

Done
Posted by Endogene
Duckbutter said:
"and this guy writes about video games? how hard is it to throw a fireball? i mean, it's like, down, forward. i could pull off a fireball with one thumb and my love muscle (if its erect). Soulja Boi was a fuckin sperm when Street Fighter 2 came out yet he can pull off a Hadoooken with no problems. and this guy is supposed to be a video game journalist? the fuck?"
A toddler SF2 came out in 92.
Posted by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

That video was absolutely excruciating to watch. Their Street Fighter noob-ishness is downright offensive.

Posted by Aaox

Well, looks like our only hope is with Screw Attack....

Posted by Torb

Wait, you mean to tell me the best that MTV could come up with was the demo version of the game?

Cheap much?
Weaksauce.
Edited by TheHBK

They didnt even have the whole fucking game and just played a demo, thats retarded.  Seemed like Soulja boy was having a hard time getting that fire ball to come out.  I think he only got a hit with it once.

• 140 results