52 Comments
  • 52 results
Posted by bwooduhs

I know how you feel. When i first got my 360 i never wanted to play ranked games just because i was afraid i wasn't good enough.

Posted by evanbrau

God bless the ability to mute everyone but your friends on xbox live. Learn to not care about what some 13 year old from the arsehole of England/America etc thinks and just play away at your own pace. I used to be very similar to you but have learned to have a fun time online while ignoring all the idiots.

Posted by funcmode
@Irishjohn said:
" @funcmode: I know it's been a while since you posted on the blog, but I wanted to tell you your comment is really interesting.  I've received some cool support here from GB users, and I'm going to get my act together a little.  Maybe MW2 will do it for you; I'm going to go back to old favourites like Halo 3 and work on from there. "
 Probably a good idea to start with something you feel at least comfortable playing, should help you ease yourself into multiplayer that way. I wish you all the best on your endeavour. Let us know how it goes =)

As for me, heh, I kinda hope MW2 gets me back in the online scene too. Reading through some of the comments here has really made me realise how much I miss online/multiplayer in general. Since I (unintentionally?) quit I've slipped into a rather anti-social pattern of playing incredulously time-consuming RPG's and the like. I'm not exactly proud to admit it but I spent over 200 hours on my Persona 4 playthrough and now I'm about 120 hours into FFX (again.. =/). The more I think about that the worse it makes me feel.

I guess I'll just have to heed my own advice and hurl myself in at the deep end. Situations like this seem to only get worse and worse the longer you spend thinking about it without doing anything about it.
Posted by Irishjohn
@funcmode: I know it's been a while since you posted on the blog, but I wanted to tell you your comment is really interesting.  I've received some cool support here from GB users, and I'm going to get my act together a little.  Maybe MW2 will do it for you; I'm going to go back to old favourites like Halo 3 and work on from there.
Posted by eroticfishcake
@Symphony said:

" @eroticfishcake said:

" @Symphony said:

" @jlrm01 said:

"But, I have fun, and I know my friend won't get angry at me. "
I wouldn't be so sure about that.. remember those times I went about my business picking herbs while you were out getting killed by something and I didn't throw you any heals? Yeah....  ;P "
If I didn't know you guys played MMORPGs, I would have questioned your lifestyle. "
ROFL. Now that you mention it, I hope no police officers stumble upon that comment without reading the previous ones... "
BUSTED! It's like a life of crime with you two, murder, money laundering, animal cruelty, ingesting "herbs". I could go on and on. I always knew you MMORPGs were a nasty bunch...
@damnboyadvance said:

" @Irishjohn said:

" Cheers for all the advice from everyone.  I suppose it's time to get my crap together a bit more.  Everyone who's left a comment here has been really positive, even if my stance is a bit (understandably) ridiculous to some.   And I'm not anti-social! I'm friendly... really. "
Sweet. Just remember to try and have fun. It's ok if you mess up, man! Nobody cares! Just share a laugh and try to make the best of it! "

What he said. It's inevitable that you're gonna meet some dry shites but just ignore them and have fun. What I'll like to do is to sit back, have a cup of tea and think what I could've done to these people, had they've been tied to a chair...
Posted by guiseppe

I was like you at one point, you just have to stop caring about what people think of you. If you suck in team based gameplay and end up at the bottom of the scoreboard... So what? It's an open server where anyone can join. Also, a lot of games have matchmaking to try and get you in to a match with people of your skill level. I can totally undersstand where you're coming from with the WoW-thing, I've had that fear of causing wipes too. But trust me, everyone, and I mean everyone will cause a wipe at some point. I mean you have to learn to improve, right? No one will expect you to know what to do for your first try.

So I say face your fears and just jump in. And don't listen to what morons are saying.

Posted by PenguinDust

Add my name to the list of folks who fear playing with others online.  I can't really recall the last time I played a competitive online game for any longer than a few minutes.  There are a couple of reasons for this.  The first is that I have a less than adequate internet connection.  It worked well enough with WoW when I was still a regular player, but I am certain the lag I experience while playing competitive games just gets me killed all the more quicker.  The second reason is I suck.  I am really bad at most games by comparison and usually score down at the bottom in kills and near the top in deaths.   Those few times that I have jumped into multiplayer games, I've stuck to free-for-all matches because I don't want to spoil anyone's fun.  It takes me a long long time to get used to maps so I'll often wander into trouble or lose my way while looking for the flag.  Everyone always seems to know what they are doing much more than I do.  I sometimes forget which button does what.  And don't count on me to throw a grenade with anything approaching precision.  Seriously, I can't get the arc right most of the time so the damned things bounce off walls right back to me.  Gears is better on that aspect, but by the time I am ready to let the bomb fly, I've been shot, chainsawed and head-stomped back to the respawn screen.   When it comes to FPS games, I'm the kid who gets picked last at dodgeball and for good reason. 

Now, as for MMOs, I think you need to spread your wings a bit there.  I suggest you offer to run lower level groups through instances to get your feet wet and see how it feels to operate in a group instanced setting.  As, I described above, I am a slow learner, often get keys mixed up and feel that when things go wrong, it is my fault for not being good enough. But, WoW is different.  I began life as a fire-mage, and I sucked in the battlegrounds and was just adequate as a raiding DPS unit.  I stuck with my 70 for a good long time as my "main".  But, then I switched factions and started something new.  I tried healing and a new world opened up to me.  I was actually pretty good at that.  When my focus was on the team, my innate desire to help functioned smoothly.  I rarely had to "LFG" since (on my server) healers were almost as sought after as tanks.  Now, I know that with the dual spec changes made those units may no longer be as hard to find as they once were, but if you are having trouble working with others then look around your server and see what unit type is needed.  A glance at the chat window should tell you soon enough.  Try and fill the void and people will come to you.  A word of warning though...if there is a wipe it's always the tank's fault, and if the tank is awesome (and some actually are) then everyone blames the healer.  The most difficult challenge when playing an MMO is finding a good group to hang with.  It's a slow process but if you just whisper "hi" when someone you've grouped with before comes online, you'll start to build those bonds of trust that can lead to solid and forgiving relationships.

Posted by damnboyadvance
@Irishjohn said:
" Cheers for all the advice from everyone.  I suppose it's time to get my crap together a bit more.  Everyone who's left a comment here has been really positive, even if my stance is a bit (understandably) ridiculous to some.   And I'm not anti-social! I'm friendly... really. "
Sweet. Just remember to try and have fun. It's ok if you mess up, man! Nobody cares! Just share a laugh and try to make the best of it!
Posted by Symphony
@eroticfishcake said:
" @Symphony said:

" @jlrm01 said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.. remember those times I went about my business picking herbs while you were out getting killed by something and I didn't throw you any heals? Yeah....  ;P "
If I didn't know you guys played MMORPGs, I would have questioned your lifestyle. "
ROFL. Now that you mention it, I hope no police officers stumble upon that comment without reading the previous ones...
Edited by Tiwi

people suck therefore you should not be afraid of meeting pps online, just assume they are jackasses and behave nicely even though you don't care.
I'm somewhat the same as you, only i suck and know the pps i play with. (Jlrm01 and symphony, you are both on my "hey lets beat on this random guy!" list.)
it makes it better in a way. just a friendly message on live or on steam.  it's all that's necessary

Edited by eroticfishcake
@Symphony said:

" @jlrm01 said:

If I didn't know you guys played MMORPGs, I would have questioned your lifestyle.
Posted by Illmatic

I share your exact same fear in one genre of games: RTS's. I have no problem hopping on line with FPS. I'm perfectly fine with being on the bottom of a post-game ranking board. However, when I am given control over so many things and given so many options in a multiplayer setting against another opponent who may have a handling on the mechanics so firm that my time to gain my bearings during each game is literally seconds long I just panic. It's a fear I can only associate with stage fright. I feel as if I'm being put front and center for all my teammates to see as I inevitably crash and burn in my feeble attempt to even make a dent in the opposing forces economy, let alone his military prowess. And God help me if they decide to rush, I'm better off waving then white flag then wasting any time putting up a fight. 

What's strange is I was never this adverse to playing RTS's online. I played Age of Mythology to death back when it was first released. Even considered myself a decent player. But even then, I can recall a small sick feeling in my gut before each match. Only now, its grown to a point where I refuse to even click multiplayer on any RTS my younger brother picks up (he has a liking for the genre). With the sequel to a game I used to play online with little adversion coming up, Starcraft 2, I'm hoping the nostalgia factor and fun gameplay of the title will be able to trump my adversion to RTS multiplayer. Of course, theres only so much you can expect from a game that inspires its own sports genre in an entire country.

Posted by Dr_Feelgood38

Isn't Brink doing something to remedy this sort of reaction to online gaming? At least it sounds like it will do some people well.

Posted by Absurd

I suck at video games and I still play online. I guess I just find it hilarious when people rage at me for fucking up.

Posted by Symphony
@jlrm01 said:
I wouldn't be so sure about that.. remember those times I went about my business picking herbs while you were out getting killed by something and I didn't throw you any heals? Yeah....

;P
Posted by Breadfan
@Symphony said: 
Why is ruining someone's experience ever irrelevant? Your explanation is "It doesn't matter because you will never speak to these people again". That is NOT taken out of context. If I wasted 39 peoples time (or 24 or hell, even 1) by doing something stupid, I think I at least owe them an apology, whether or not I'll ever speak to them. 
Hey if you feel obliged to apologize for messing something up, all the better for you.  However people play games for fun and enjoyment, so what if you lose.  Really what is the point in caring so much about what other people think?  Yes, chances are I will never speak to them again, but why should I feel committed to keep a stranger happy rather than having a good time?

Posted by HitmanAgent47

I like single player games, I hate online games. When I start a new one, I always do really crappy. It's like the single player game on the most difficult level imo. Also after playing counter strike source for a few years, the hostile ppl I had to deal with ruined my brain.

Posted by jlrm01

I'm also afraid of playing online games. I've only recently begun playing online games. My experience so far is only with 3 games, in this order: SFIV, Dragonica and now Aion.

Since I can remember, I've been afraid of people in real life. Innumerable, mostly (completely?)  irrational fears make me avoid most social situations altogether. And this always reflected on my "gaming life".  Always single player games. Multiplayer-mostly or only games I never bought.

My first online experience was with SFIV, playing with Symphony, who posted before me. ^^ And my reaction was like hers the first time playing that game online: shaking... I was incredibly nervous during all those matches, and by that time I knew her already, so I shouldn't be. I was apologizing for how lame I was in messages... and it was the first day I had the game! After many matches I was still nervous.. but as of today I don't get nervous anymore. Now I play with random dudes and it is almost normal to me. I sometimes joke that I have to "provide some daily ass-kickings". Some dudes are really, really fun to play with. So far my experience with Live messages has been mostly positive so far. I muted the mics, because either I couldn't understand what they were saying or some infernal noises came out.

But SF is 1 on 1, so it isn't that bad. But MMOs... >< I was hesitant about them, but I was asked this question: "If you were playing with a friend... would you reconsider?". And at that point they got me. ^^

I first tried a free MMO, Dragonica, at first with Symphony, then Tanuki and Sidescroller joined up for a bit later. It was a fun experience. I'm a total newbie at these kinds of games, but I get help and guidance when needed. I messed up a few times (I'm an expert at dying, it seems), but after time I got better at it. I'm not an "excellent" player by any means, but I did "good".

Now I'm trying Aion. I'm a level 22 Assasin at the moment (you can see my char in Symphony's blog)... and I still die a lot. But, I have fun, and I know my friend won't get angry at me.

I've never tried WoW... seems more "serious" in nature.... maybe I will, in the future.

I'm not a very sociable person by nature... so I'm not sure how social I'm going to get during online games. Probably not much. However, I can play them these days, and with a party. Something I never imagined I would do. The "trick" for me was to find friends I could play with. Also, I know they won't be mean to me and that gives me confidence. I guess finding such a friend among so many "random players" might be a possibly lengthy process. Guess I'll find out. ^^

Posted by Symphony
@Br3adfan said:
" @Symphony said:

@Br3adfan said:

" Even if you mess something up and somehow 'ruin' everyone's experience, so what?  It's just a random bunch of people who you will never speak to again. "

I hate this sort of mentality. "I can do whatever I want because I don't know these people." This ideology helps to bring peoples faith in each other lower and lower, and its no wonder we have such little respect for other people, especially online,  and tend to assume the worst. 
You have a knack for taking people's statements out of context.  My comment remains true regarding the topic creator's 'phobia' of messing up peoples' online experience.  If he messes something up for a group of people, so what.  It's a game, you know something you play for fun.  Who cares what some random guy is going to say if you lose the match or whatever it may be. "
I apologize if it was taken out of context but I'm actually really trying hard to figure out how it was taken out of context... The "random bunch of people you will never speak to again" sounds so detached as if to say "they don't matter because you don't know them" (especially when coupled with the first line ending in "so what?") and that's why I feel it is no wonder we don't respect one another online all that much -- because we use that sort of "it's just random people, so who cares?" logic.

Why is ruining someone's experience ever irrelevant? Your explanation is "It doesn't matter because you will never speak to these people again". That is NOT taken out of context. If I wasted 39 peoples time (or 24 or hell, even 1) by doing something stupid, I think I at least owe them an apology, whether or not I'll ever speak to them. Yes it's a game, but... wait. Have you played MMOs? Or any game where you invest a significant amount of time into setting something up such as a raid? I'm not trying to ask that condescendingly, it really is a relevant question, as if you haven't, it could be very easy to come to the conclusion "it's just a game, who cares", even if I still disagree to some extent

If you HAVE played MMOs and raided, you should know the amount of time people put into it -- farming materials, making gear, going over strategies etc. To have all of that time wasted by someone doing something stupid is not fun. Yes, it's just a game, but that was hours of real time spent preparing. Sure that's a testament to the fact we might not have "lives", but that's beside the point. The point is that while it's a game, screwing up can still affect people and waste their time. I think giving an apology is the right choice to make in such a situation. I also feel people shouldn't dwell on that mistake and should move on, insulting the person who screwed up doesn't help anything and just shows your immaturity. 

To give an example -- Molten Core was the first raiding dungeon in WoW. Our raid was stuck on a boss -- Majordomo Executus for a few weeks before finally being able to kill him and loot the chest he drops. What happens? Someone other than the raid leader loots all of the items in the chests, leaves the raid, and quickly drops guild. "So what, it's just a game, right?" Yes, it is just a game... but that's 39 other people who spent hours learning this fight, farming materials for potions and such, and working to achieve a common goal. The idea that what that one person did was of little consequence because it's just a game is sort of ridiculous in my opinion. 

No we didn't get crazy with nerdrage, find pitchforks and call for sacrifices, but it did sour the experience and made us all a bit more cynical.

I COMPLETELY agree with your last sentence-- It really doesn't matter what some random person says if you lose a match. That's a completely different situation where you're not screwing up someone's experience. That's just some jerk trying to talk shit. They don't deserve the attention.

On the other hand, if you accidentally kill a team member a few times in a CoD match, I can't see the harm in apologizing, considering you are making them have to wait till the end or at least until the end of the respawn. No I don't believe "OMG apologize or you're a major douche", I just think it's the polite thing to do, though not necessarily something that many CoD players would actually do.
Posted by funcmode

Great topic, as I often find myself in the same situation.

First off, not to be egotistical but, I'd like to think I'm good, if not very good at videogames in general. I used to play for a top UK counter-strike clan back in the day, then I moved onto WoW and was again in a top Euro guild. At those times I had no issues playing games online (since those 2 games specifically were essentially online-only). 

Since I quit WoW though, the only game's I really got into were Gears of War 1/2 and Modern Warfare. The former more so than the latter, the reason being I met a nice bunch of people through playing gears and we'd regularly play together. I would rarely if ever play the game not in the company of people I knew. 

That I think is the key here, at least for me. I'm quite a shy individual by nature, and I find it a bit difficult getting to know new people. I love and enjoy playing games with people I know, not so much with people I don't. I also tend to play games better when I'm with people I know, I guess you could call that trying to show off, but I think that's natural. 

Once I became disillusioned with Gears.. I haven't been able to get back into an online game since. I tried my hand at SFIV and still play it occasionally but some what casually. That's about it. Hoping MW2 reinvigorates me but I'd have to put on a brave face and go meet some new people as I've some what lost touch with a lot of the people I used to play with on XBL. 

I guess my advice is some what ironic given my own similar situation. But if you're afraid of playing online cause you might ruin other people's experience and so on, I think the only way you'll get around that obstacle is to suck it  up and go play online. If it's a good game then you should have fun regardless, and just accept that you will make mistakes as you learn about the multiplayer. Everyone was a noob once, remember that.

Posted by Breadfan
@Symphony said:

@Br3adfan said:

" Even if you mess something up and somehow 'ruin' everyone's experience, so what?  It's just a random bunch of people who you will never speak to again. "

I hate this sort of mentality. "I can do whatever I want because I don't know these people." This ideology helps to bring peoples faith in each other lower and lower, and its no wonder we have such little respect for other people, especially online,  and tend to assume the worst. 
You have a knack for taking people's statements out of context. 

My comment remains true regarding the topic creator's 'phobia' of messing up peoples' online experience.  If he messes something up for a group of people, so what.  It's a game, you know something you play for fun.  Who cares what some random guy is going to say if you lose the match or whatever it may be.
Posted by Origina1Penguin

I can relate somewhat.  I've become more open about talking and whatnot, but I'm still really quiet.  However, I am actually pretty good at the games I play.  I joined a small community dedicated to positive environment gaming just to avoid the regular Xbox Live trash talkers, so I'm not worried about not playing well on a certain game or just having an off day.

Posted by dbz1995
@Irishjohn said:
And I believe you. Why don't you get a few friends (if you don't have anyone on xbox/PS3, add some Giantbombers, we'll be happy to help...I think) and shoot it up against them?
Posted by cjmhockey

Never had that problem when I used to play WoW. That's probably because I met a really chill group of people that played with the same attitude of its just for fun and if someone fucks up o well. 

As for with Live, I know where you are coming from. Some people, who I believe take video games too seriously, can get really nasty about things and I personally can't stand listening to it, so there are times when I decide to play offline even if a game is mainly meant for multiplayer just so I don't have to listen to it.

Posted by Symphony
@Renahzor said:

" I ran a raiding guild in Wow for quite some time, and heres something funny.  As a raid leader I probably wiped more raids from my own mistakes than any other single person.  Calling the wrong direction, saying soemthing that takes too long to process, being the Main Tank and losing track of something important trying to direct traffic, whatever.   

Haha same boat here. I was RL and MT for a good year until I finally quit WoW for good (though Cataclysm is begging me to come back and it's going to be very hard to resist >.>). There were plenty of times I got us killed... fucking up on MCing during the Razuvious encounter, for example. 

That said, I think the raid leader is afforded less stress in the way of having to perform well -- they're the raid leader, after all, it's assumed they know what they're doing (at least most of the time) and have proven they are capable of fulfilling their roles. Sure we get that burden back two or three-fold in the form of making sure the raid starts on time, explaining strategies, dealing with any questions, etc. but at least that mental strain of "omg I better not fuck this up or they might kick me" isn't there.

During my more hardcore days where I was a member of a more "bleeding edge" guild, I remember the immense pressure to perform, especially during the try-out period. I could practically feel the weight of judgment pushing down on my shoulders. It was worse than some job interviews, which is pretty stupid considering none of us got paid to raid. That stress was not fun at all.

@Br3adfan said:

I hate this sort of mentality. "I can do whatever I want because I don't know these people." This ideology helps to bring peoples faith in each other lower and lower, and its no wonder we have such little respect for other people, especially online,  and tend to assume the worst. What's wrong with civility and politeness? Yes, if they're being jerks over the fact you screwed up, then walk away or defend yourself. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't care if you screw up just because you don't know these people.

If you make a mistake (team killing, wiping a raid, whatever) an apology doesn't hurt. On the contrary, it'll earn peoples respect and who knows, you might actually get to know some of these people and play with them again.

@Irishjohn: It's too bad I never got to meet you in Warcraft, or I would have helped ease you in to running dungeons and such. I've known a LOT of people with similar issues and all its ever really taken is a few gentle pushes, a positive attitude, and a few people who like to have a good time to get someone in a position such as yours to broaden their comfort zone and explore more of the multiplayer aspects of the game.

It can definitely be difficult to jump into any of that stuff alone. I can honestly say I'm in a very similar boat when it comes to a fear of failure making me avoid certain things. PvP for example -- it took me a long time to try that and I didn't until it was with a few friends and being together somehow gave us courage. Turns out that PvP was a blast and it was quickly one of the aspects of the game I fell in love with. Soon I was doing it on my own and introducing new people into it who had the same sort of fears I did at first.

Another, non-WoW related example is SFIV -- It was the first Xbox 360 game I played online as I avoided it up until then, for fear I'd do something to screw up the matchmaking or.. I don't know, to be honest. Irrational fear is called that for a reason. But I had made the decision that I was going to play SFIV online dammit and I did! And wow were my hands ever shaking that first match... The blood left them and.. ugg it was crazy, but somehow I WON the match! That didn't making the shaking subside for the next 10 matches though... eventually it calmed down, but each new time I turned on the console and played, my hands would be shaky the first few matches but it got better and better each time.

And now... I'm more apt to scream at my TV than find my hands shaking from holding the controller. >.> It's become a part of my comfort zone and there's no fear of failure left whatsoever, even though I lose plenty of matches due to being outplayed or totally screwing up.

Sorry this reply has turned into a novel, but it certainly struck a chord. If you're ever looking for someone to play online or just to talk to, feel free to add me as a friend :)
Posted by Bubahula

you should play online, you wont "ruin "anything for anyone, because based on that post, people will want to play with you because you wont be one of the many assholes online. also im sorry but i cant resit....if you dont want to play with others than you better get used to playing with yourself....heehee
Posted by TerraDelu

I also have problems playing game with people online. My reasons are similar:  
1) I wouldn't say that I am "bad" at video games. Usually I'm pretty damn good actually. But there are loads of people out there that are REALLY good at games, and this is my problem. I don't take issue with people being REALLY good at games, if anything I am super jealous. But when I tried playing COD4, Gears, or TF2 I  just get shot, then killed, then murdered, then assassinated, etc. over and over again. This really fucked up whole online experience for me. And the sad thing is most people out there aren't willing to tell you what you are doing wrong, they are more into the hilarity of shooting you time and time again. I must say though, one game that has been a glimmer of hope for me is L4D. The cooperative nature of that game makes it loads of fun for me. However, this brings me to my second issue... 
2) FUCKING KIDS! I don't know what it is, but there are WAY too many immature children playing online. I want to play a game like Left 4 Dead and feel like I am hanging out with people, maybe make a friend or two. But more times than not, it is some bratty 12 year old screeching bullshit in my headset. I don't really like kids to begin with, so maybe I am affected by this more than others. 
3) Sadly, I am the only one of my friends that plays games. My friend Jon will play Baseball Stars II on the NES with me, but that's it. I feel like issues 1 and 2 would be solved if more of my friends were into this stuff too.  

Sorry, I didn't realize I had so much to say about this... geez.

Posted by ninjakiller

Just pretend to be 12 if someone says you suck.  No one screams at a little kid except for other little kids.

Posted by angelkanarias

lol, you are just like a friend of mine. you shouldn't be afraid of playing with people online, yeah, sometimes there are douche-bags, but other times you can find awesome people to play with.

Posted by Creamypies

Haha I laughed out loud at this blog title. Man, I feel so immature right now.

Posted by Seraphim2150

I used to absolutly hate trying to play online (didn't help my mates were all jackasses and 10x better than me at COD). But if you find a good group of people to play with (like the users on this site perhaps) then you'll just roll.

Posted by JJWeatherman
@Irishjohn: Have you ever seen the Leeroy Jenkins video? That dude sets the idiot bar so low a toddler could step over it. I don't play WoW but I'm sure there's nothing to worry about even if you aren't the best at it.
Posted by eroticfishcake

I share your sentiments. It's the whole "I don't want to let the team down" thing. I've never played a mulitplayer for years for more than 15 minutes. Until I got my PS3 with Killzone 2. And you should try Team Fortress 2. That's fun and easy to play.

Posted by Bucketdeth

Dude, go online and enjoy yourself, I used to play Wow a lot and when I first started I fucked up a lot and laughed my ass off when those tards got pissed off at me saying stuff like "FUKIN NOOB" and "WTF U FAG" Just enjoy yourself never let some other dickhead ruin your fun.

Posted by Claude

I'm scared of online games as well, but Team Fortress 2 for the PC is my haven. I can be a medic, no need to talk and do nothing but support people. I became comfortable enough to try different characters in the game. The only other game I play online is Tiger Woods 10 for the Wii. No talk, just tracers from the other golfers, well, also Mario Kart Wii. I love Nintendo's online, nice and quiet.

Edited by Brake

I don't mean to scare you off of it, but L4D can be kinda brutal. Random pub people can be really kick-happy if you're not playing absolutely perfectly. I'd reccomend something like Team Fortress 2, where it's easier to get sorta lost in the crowd. Your contribution just doesn't count for as much when you're playing with 10-15 people, as opposed to a 4-player co-op.

Posted by Breadfan

Even if you mess something up and somehow 'ruin' everyone's experience, so what?  It's just a random bunch of people who you will never speak to again.

Posted by Bigandtasty
@Irishjohn: I know how you feel, I shy away from online in most games but it's not too hard to get your feet wet.

For WoW, the majority of instances before level 50 or so are pretty easy as long as you and your party are in a good level range. Wipes happen; unless the group is underpowered or people are just being jerks, they won't leave because of one or two wipes. If people are being asses in chat, ignore them and/or leave the group if you have to.

In Halo 3, just stick to Social playlists until you get used to it. No one should take Social seriously and if they do, just mute them. Hell, I preemptively mute EVERYONE in the lobby before Social, because most people talking on Social will just ramble on about random stuff during the game.

L4D is a bit more difficult because it's very cooperative. Just try to find some other people to play with casually.
Posted by GunstarRed
@Damian:
I totally had someone making up a rap about GRAW during a match... it was both the greatest and worst thing I have ever heard.
Posted by Irishjohn

Cheers for all the advice from everyone.  I suppose it's time to get my crap together a bit more.  Everyone who's left a comment here has been really positive, even if my stance is a bit (understandably) ridiculous to some.

And I'm not anti-social! I'm friendly... really.

Posted by Damian

I can relate. I'm not a competitive person to begin with, because I have a terrible temper once I get started and don't let myself get that involved. So all the trash talking online (generally) is really hard to take at points. It requires a patience I ain't mastered to ignore the constant barrage of stupidity and abhorrent manners online. 
But some MP games seem to make it more tolerable than others. I had good luck finding cool strangers on 360 L4D. Aside from the game-breaking imbeciles, I had nothing but a good time there.  
My experiences with strangers in Halo, Gears and a few others were not so positive, and it's keeping me from popping CoD4 into my PS3. Maybe there are less people with headsets ... might be nice. The only time I mute people are when they SING (my god, it's the worst thing ever) so all the eleventeen year olds giggling out inaccurate racist remarks to his teammates between whining and barking orders; I hear all that trash ... and It scares all of us a little I figure.

Edited by Oni

Aw man I feel for you. Like, I get where you're coming from, and I totally understand. But you really don't need to be so worried. Like in WoW, just try running some lower-level instances. Like, start with stuff like Deadmines and Wailing Caverns and be up front that you have never done any instances. I think you'll find that a lot of people will be very willing to help you and be supportive. Of course there's the impatient, elitist jerks who just wanna rush through it, but if you just say "hey guys I'm new to grouping, I'd really appreciate if you could give me some pointers here and there". If you're a damage dealer, there's really not much you can do wrong, just stay behind the tank, let him pull and don't over-aggro. And if you make a mistake and get killed, no biggie, that's why there are healers. Of course if you're healer or tank there's a bit more to it than that.

There is so much fun to be had in multiplayer, just give it a try and don't let the vocal minority ruin it for you. Everyone fucks up.

edit: also, a good way to get started is to play some 360 games with friends, even if they're internet friends. My gamertag is GB Oni, you can add me if you want.

Posted by Psyx2

There's not much to be afraid of. I doubt anyone who plays WoW HASN'T made a mistake that caused a wipe. Yes you'll get yelled at for it, but remember, it's just a game. If they want to take things too serious and get so angry over a game, that's their problem and I just find it funny. Remember, they're just people on the internet. They can't hurt you.
But if you still don't want to deal with it, just play games with people you know.

In a co-op game it's best to just play with people you know - I didn't do this with Left 4 Dead, and all I get are groups of people teamkilling or kicking a player (me) for making a mistake, or just for no reason at all. But in your average shooter it's not much of a problem - just turn off voice chat and enjoy killing dudes. No one cares if you make a mistake.

Posted by Renahzor

I ran a raiding guild in Wow for quite some time, and heres something funny.  As a raid leader I probably wiped more raids from my own mistakes than any other single person.  Calling the wrong direction, saying soemthing that takes too long to process, being the Main Tank and losing track of something important trying to direct traffic, whatever. 

I play a lot of street fighter 4. And i fuck up, it happens, my win ratio isnt great and it doesnt matter because my personal enjoyment is more important than my ego for some ultimately insignificant stat.  

You should try battlefield 1943 for about an hour.  That game is all multiplayer only, and its fun working together but it's just as fun working alone.  For me it's kind of the high water mark in multiplayer accessibility.  None cares if you mess up, you can kinda do your own thing, and it's pretty fun.  :D

Posted by Meltac

Some people are so stupid to listen to, that it's actually quite funny =P Had a game of CoD4 online and a little british kid just sat and yelled "Nigguuuh! Nigguuuuh! Don't shoot me, nigguuuuh!" Stupid, yah, but funny, he even called for his mom a couple of times and asked for candy =P 

So just try it out, even though you're not that good at it. And I also prefer singleplayer over multiplayer =)

Posted by Diamond

What often makes me personally afraid to play online is all this stat tracking they have in games these days.  I don't want to get a horrible kill death ratio or have a low matchmaking ranking...

On the other hand I don't want to disappoint people if I can't stand grinding in a MMO for hours on end or I get bored playing a coop game and want to abandon my teammates so I can play another game.

Posted by GunstarRed

I fully understand this. I used to have the same fears. It seems like a secret club to begin with, I know that it isn't now but it's very daunting to some people. Some people find it just as hard communicating on the internet and in videogames as in real life. It's totally not weird at all.
Posted by TheMustacheHero
@natetodamax: Exactly. There are loads of people that suck cock at games but play them anyways. You can't get better at them by not playing them.
Posted by natetodamax
@TheMustacheHero said:
" Wow, some people play games online because they're anti-social in the real world. You are so anti-social that you don't even talk to people over the internet. Jeez louise! "
This

There's no reason to be afraid to play with people online, even if you think you'll mess up. Nobody is perfect, and you're assuming that everyone online is so much better at whatever game than you. Personally, I just play online because it's fun. I don't bother talking to people unless necessary, and I ignore all of the idiots that think they're cool by swearing and screaming.
Posted by TheMustacheHero

Wow, some people play games online because they're anti-social in the real world. You are so anti-social that you don't even talk to people over the internet. Jeez louise!

• 52 results