265 Comments
Posted by Duffyside
Posted by Terramagi

@SpunkyHePanda said:

@Marokai said:
@SpunkyHePanda: Regardless of the boohooing over people giving their advice, there is no. way. they would've beat Shadow Yukiko without any advice whatsoever. They barely beat it when they did exactly as they were told. They had no idea how to fuse effective. They had no idea what to pay attention to. If people weren't telling them what day to get into the TV and to do it immediately, they wouldn't have done it. If people hadn't told them to train, they would've barged into Shadow Yukiko hideously underleveled and ill-prepared. I get that it's cool to complain about people saying "you're doing it wrong", but Jeff and Vinny absolutely needed the help regardless of whatever you think. This Endurance Run would've ended on Shadow Yukiko if it wasn't for the so-easy-to-beat-up-on comments section.
Well, what I was hoping to get across is that even though there may be several individuals with good advice and who genuinely want to help, if you lump them all together, it's too much. And that's assuming you somehow manage to avoid all the angry comments (again, mine included) surrounding the helpful ones. And that I cannot blame any single commenter, but only the nature of the comment section itself. And that, as frustrating as it may be to watch someone play a game completely differently from how you would, it must be even more frustrating to receive hundreds of pieces of conflicting, condescending, angry advice. And that that frustration bled over into the videos and into the way they played. And that yes, maybe they wouldn't have been able to beat Shadow Yukiko on their first try. But you got me. I was just trying to seem cool.

I know it's been a year since this comment got posted, but they were quite serious when they said the Endurance Run rested in the balance. They had ONE SHOT. If they had lost, it would have ended then and there.

The comments saved the run, and no amount of "well gosh, maybe you should have been nicer you entitled gaming twats" will change that, if they hadn't been there, this would've been a flash in the pan memory of "remember when they tried to play Persona 4, got shitstomped by the first boss and ragequit?"

I know it would have, because that's how MY first game of Persona 4 ended.

Posted by Zereta

When Vinny failed at running away from the Shadow, I could hear the sheer amount of pain and rage in Jeff. Given the chance, it sounded like Jeff would have strangled Vinny.

Posted by LikeaSsur

Reading the comment section, all I can say is this is why we can't have nice things.

Posted by Narx

2012 - Watching this for the third time while playing Persona 4, GO INVESTIGATION TEAM

Posted by zaldar

of course they did ask for advice in the last one....

Posted by SpunkyHePanda
@Marokai said:
@SpunkyHePanda: Regardless of the boohooing over people giving their advice, there is no. way. they would've beat Shadow Yukiko without any advice whatsoever. They barely beat it when they did exactly as they were told. They had no idea how to fuse effective. They had no idea what to pay attention to. If people weren't telling them what day to get into the TV and to do it immediately, they wouldn't have done it. If people hadn't told them to train, they would've barged into Shadow Yukiko hideously underleveled and ill-prepared.   I get that it's cool to complain about people saying "you're doing it wrong", but Jeff and Vinny absolutely needed the help regardless of whatever you think. This Endurance Run would've ended on Shadow Yukiko if it wasn't for the so-easy-to-beat-up-on comments section.
Well, what I was hoping to get across is that even though there may be several individuals with good advice and who genuinely want to help, if you lump them all together, it's too much. And that's assuming you somehow manage to avoid all the angry comments (again, mine included) surrounding the helpful ones. And that I cannot blame any single commenter, but only the nature of the comment section itself. And that, as frustrating as it may be to watch someone play a game completely differently from how you would, it must be even more frustrating to receive hundreds of pieces of conflicting, condescending, angry advice. And that that frustration bled over into the videos and into the way they played. And that yes, maybe they wouldn't have been able to beat Shadow Yukiko on their first try.

But you got me. I was just trying to seem cool.
Edited by Marokai
@SpunkyHePanda: Regardless of the boohooing over people giving their advice, there is no. way. they would've beat Shadow Yukiko without any advice whatsoever. They barely beat it when they did exactly as they were told. They had no idea how to fuse effective. They had no idea what to pay attention to. If people weren't telling them what day to get into the TV and to do it immediately, they wouldn't have done it. If people hadn't told them to train, they would've barged into Shadow Yukiko hideously underleveled and ill-prepared. 

I get that it's cool to complain about people saying "you're doing it wrong", but Jeff and Vinny absolutely needed the help regardless of whatever you think. This Endurance Run would've ended on Shadow Yukiko if it wasn't for the so-easy-to-beat-up-on comments section.
Edited by SpunkyHePanda

I think user comments really spoiled a lot of the fun of this Endurance Run, with everyone giving their own highly-specific advice based on what they think is the only right way to play the game. It really must have made the game seem more overwhelming and confusing than it actually is. Guess what? There's no one right way to fuse. Want to make a new persona just because it's new? Go for it. Because it's a higher level? Absolutely. Because it looks cool? Yeah, dude. If there was one thing Vinny and Jeff clearly couldn't stand, it was fusing. And it's because they were worried that one wrong decision in that Velvet Room could bone them completely. Just scroll down to the comments section of any episode that includes battling or fusing and you'll see a few people (probably including me at one point or another) expressing their frustration over Vinny not doing exactly what they would have done. And when you see that, it's pretty obvious why they're hesitant to do another Endurance Run. Would they have been able to defeat Yukiko's shadow without any help? I can't say for sure, but I would have liked to see them try.

Posted by Lelcar
@kerse said:
" @captainanderson said:
" Jeff talking about trees growing out of people's stomachs is pretty funny considering what their second Endurance Run ended up being. "
I've noticed that they predict the future pretty often in their endurance run videos. "
Yeah, they predicted Inception in the second episode as well.
Posted by kerse
@captainanderson said:
" Jeff talking about trees growing out of people's stomachs is pretty funny considering what their second Endurance Run ended up being. "
I've noticed that they predict the future pretty often in their endurance run videos.
Posted by captainanderson

Jeff talking about trees growing out of people's stomachs is pretty funny considering what their second Endurance Run ended up being.

Posted by L1GHTN1N
@gamermatt8: I thought Yukiko was incredibly tough. Mostly because at this point in the game you are still grappling to understand all of the concepts, trying to figure out a good pace for when to grind and when to upgrade your social links, when to use items as opposed to SP etc. You're still getting a feel for the game, and your Personas are rather... weak and limited. By the time you get to Kanji you at least (should) understand all of this and have a bit more versatility with your Personas.
Posted by gamermatt8

who were the people that said that Shadow Yukiko is the hardest boss in the game? Shadow Kanji is the hardest boss in this game hands down.
Posted by FelixLighter

Awesome episode. 

Posted by Urmean

Aha. Is this our chance.

?

Posted by eezo

bufu = Buy Us Fuck You

Posted by Baggykins

Just as good the 2nd time around :D

Posted by RVonE

"Dude, what is wrong with you?!" "How did you do that?!" 
Good times.
Posted by rpratts

good stuff

Posted by artofwar420

I say Endurance Run needs a new logo, instead of the Video Feature.

Edited by Red

The boss isn't very hard. I beat it second try after experimenting strategies, and that was when my party had around half SP. I hadn't been grinding at all either. You also don't need to focus on using stat-lowering effects except for the hardest of hard bosses.

Edited by anamanaman

Heh... endurance run needs to stop at game over. When you die in the game... there is no going back. Like the matrix

Posted by solidsnake360

When did they EVER state the run would end if they got the game over screen? The game over screen is pretty much inevitable in this game. I've wiped countless times to normal enemies.

Posted by Thievius

Damn, from listening to the podcast, sounds like the next episode is the last episode.

Mistakes were made.

Posted by Ptolemaios

LEROYYYY JEKINNNNSSSSS!!

Posted by Madeley

Yo Vinny and Jeff, go in that room and kick its ass!
 I'm getting nervous just watching you guys play! :D

Posted by PandaBearParamedics

USE THE DANG HOOKSHOT!

Posted by BlazeHedgehog

I think Nata Tashi is a dude.

Posted by DickDarlington

Vinnie - I don't know how hard the rest of the game will be, but I beat the second dungeon a few days ago and it seemed a lot more easier than the first. The most important part of that is just becoming more familiar with how the game works and figuring out how to easily win fights. There's a much wider variety of persona to get and fuse when you're in the second dungeon and I never felt that I needed very specific personas or specific tactics to defeat the second dungeon. Plus after you save Yukiko you get to add her as the fourth member of the team and she's a healer!

I don't mind the grinding videos. I think it's been funny to hear Jeff dumbstruck over Vinnie's inability to dodge the monster at the end of today's video or Vinnie's shock that Jeff's "blow the stuff away" strategy actually worked out yesterday. It's a different feel from when they're out of the TV trying to navigate through the school day or trying to make out with Yumi or whatever.

Posted by Media_Master

I don't think they should really play the entire game, but hey, it could be a new trend.

Posted by Milkman
The advice can stop. Vinny and Jeff already fought the boss. We'll find out how they did tomorrow. Apparently, they make "some mistakes" but its an "epic battle" Also, can't use TAP sodas in battle.
Posted by AleM

Yeah, I've got to agree with the fact that the first boss is one of the hardest in the game, it's kinda hard to beat him with so little options of skills and not knowing very well how the game behaves.

I'm cheering for you guys!!! Not much as Teddy, but I think it still counts right?!!

Posted by EmperorSeth

So...is anyone going to tell them that Nata Tashi is a dude?  That's getting awkward.  It's not like there's a dearth of hot Personamon for those interested.

Posted by Vendead

u guys definately got me addictied to this game now thanks

Posted by gryphon_gold

Love, I don't know what "bravado spiel" you're talking about.  I simply stated I know what you said is a necessity, isn't a necessity, and I know it 'cuz of my own experience with the game.

I get it.  You don't like my posted thoughts about this episode.  However, I genuinely think this was a weak episode.  You're preaching isn't going to change that.  Get over it. 

Posted by Thievius

Man, I don't understand.  When I was playing P4, I didn't even know what I was doing yet (fully) and I just breezed through this dungeon and the Yukiko boss.  I don't remember it being all that hard.  Maybe I just grinded enough where it wasn't a problem, I dunno.

Posted by prinny_god

skip the level grinding next time

Posted by JackiJinx

Ignoring that last encounter, better. Word up, guys!

Edited by dietmango

Hey guys, just press L1 to activate the shortcut for ANALYSIS. Just to let you know :D

Oh yeah, Vin, the cards that look like they're broken isnt gonna affect you at all. The cards that are colored red and look like a cross are the penalty ones.

Oh yeah before you fight the Yukiko boss, make sure you have a persona with the move Media. I dont know if you have it right now, but if you can fuse personas to make Senri, that would be better. I know you guys hate debuff spells but use Rakunda against the boss at least lol and watch Chie's health cause she's the only one weak to fire.

Anyway, level up Slime some more and use Red wall on Chie constantly. Keep healing when HP is half because you never know. Maybe a level would be enough to fight off Yukiko the next time. Oh yeah, I disagree with Yukiko being the hardest boss in the game. Usually the boss after Yukiko (Kanji) can tend to be harder sometimes.

Edited by Sarkahn

Edit 2: Just listened to the Giant Bombcast. Sooo never mind all that. Now I am sad.

Edited by Mistral

Shadow Yukiko is probably the hardest boss in the game(or else only slightly easier than a certain July/August boss) because of how few persona options you have, but she's definitely beatable. Just remember to have Chie guard a LOT if you don't want to suffer a third-degree-burn death. Guarding makes your life so much easier on certain bosses that ignoring it for an ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK strategy is just foolhardy. Actually, ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK strategies in general won't do you so well against most bosses, since you should be using stat-changing moves(which, unlike in most RPGs, are actually worth using!), healing(making sure to prioritize the MC), and guarding if it looks like a big move is coming up(which the game usually warns you about). Most of the other bosses are long, but not particularly hard(although you guys may have some trouble since you're not as experienced with the Persona playstyle), so it should be relatively smooth sailing if/when you beat Darth Yukiko.

Other than that, the one tip I really REALLY want you guys to pay attention to is:

FUSE YOUR PERSONAS!

A persona learned all of its moves(like Izanagi did)? Fuse it! Some of your personas are several levels below you(like...almost everything you have)? Fuse them! Lugging around a persona you never use(like Angel)? Fuuuuuse. You ran out of slots? Get your ass back to the velvet room and fuse some personas! You never really have to worry about losing valuable skills(either new personas will have better versions, you'll inherit the old useful skills, or the new personas will re-learn those skills anyway), and keeping your persona roster as up-to-date as possible will make your life so much easier. You don't even have to spend hours figuring out the exact best persona/skill combos like some OCD players do; just fuse something that looks good or has skills that your team doesn't have yet/better skills than your current team. Don't worry too much about the arcanas your personas have until you're leaving TV land to go do more s-links.

When you do start fusing, use the square button to see what the new persona's skills do! You can also use the L1/R1 buttons to check the status of the personas you're using to fuse the new guy, just so you can see if one of them has a skill you might want to keep around if the new guy doesn't get it.
If nothing else, fusing a lot now makes it easier to get the really cool personas later(partially because they make it easier to live that long, partially because some special fusions require specific personas).

Good luck, and I hope you don't stop this endurance run just yet! It's what brought me to Giant Bomb in the first place! ;)

Edited by sneakysnake128

You guys are funny as hell but you are terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible players.

Posted by SketchyBrown

They had better not end this series... it provides endless entertainment without actually having to play a JPRG!

Edited by cubagoodingjr

YUKIKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by MeatSim

Man it's taking forever to get through this dungeon.

Posted by flamingbananas

always use the compendium. to get persona back. NEVER try to shuffle them a 2nd time.

Posted by LifeByDegrees

Don't stop now!!!!!!!!!!!
You don't know the comedy gold that is coming!
It only gets crazier from here!

Posted by HT101

This video series just keeps drawing me in and doesn't let go.  Can't wait for tomorrow's installment.