185 Comments
  • 185 results
Posted by Kou_Leifoh

That was great.

Posted by teh_destroyer
Mars_Cleric said:
I still can't find this game, it's so frustrating.If there's anyone in Canberra out there who knows where I can ... [more]
for real man,none of my gamestops or bestbuys have a copy of it in my area.You should try digging around amazon.com.
Posted by strangeling

Go Vinny, Go!

Too bad about the 1xp.
Posted by sephiroth1983

This was an epic episode keep up the good work gents

Posted by raidingkvatch

I think drugs are... great

Posted by fresh816

The bad ending isn't a bad ending, Its a HORRIBLE ending.
It made me so sad and I hope vinny and jeff don't get it.

Posted by Scrawnto
@RampageEndsHere: Wow, as a person who has actually studied game design, this comment really bothers me. Anything can be a game if it has goals. A good game also introduces risk/reward, pacing, resource management, and intuitive design, and they should be engaging. That doesn't mean that all games have to provide these elements in the same way, but they should still be present. 

The fact of the matter is Persona 4's pacing bogs down in the grinding. If the fights aren't engaging enough, what motivation does the player have to continue? When they first go through a dungeon, the fights are engaging, in that they allow the player to see new enemies, devise new strategies, and progress the story. These are all elements which engage the player. When they grind, the rewards are just levels, gear, and skills, which aren't meaningful until you get to use them on a challenging enemy. 

That's not to say that Persona 4 is a bad game. I actually, really want to play it myself. I'm just saying that the JRPG norm IS NOT what makes a video game a game. /game design nerd mode
Posted by Zereta

:( 

Poor Vinny and Jeff

Posted by buwchbach

Sorry, I had to stop the video and dance a bit after Jeff mentioned Crash Bandicoot, the old ones were rather amazing.

Posted by Blueblur1

That boss battle made me cringe. They never bothered to analyze the enemy, they never bothered to use Zio, they keep casting Tarukaja on Chie instead of on a character that's actually doing a decent amount of damage and could stand to do more (Yukiko) and they avoid using their medium power spells like Agilao (which Hua Po has along with a 27 Magic stat). Damn, so much fail. smh

Posted by Hourai

I don't know why they're grinding so much. They could have just rushed up and defeated the boss. 

Posted by jikoku13

by the way heres a website with the manga  www.onemanga.com/Persona_4

Posted by Undeadpool
@Blueblur1 said:
" That boss battle made me cringe. They never bothered to analyze the enemy, they never bothered to use Zio, they keep casting Tarukaja on Chie instead of on a character that's actually doing a decent amount of damage and could stand to do more (Yukiko) and they avoid using their medium power spells like Agilao (which Hua Po has along with a 27 Magic stat). Damn, so much fail. smh "
And yet they still won handily. Proving, yet again, that there is no "right" way to play P4.
Posted by Blueblur1
@Undeadpool said:
" @Blueblur1 said:
" That boss battle made me cringe. They never bothered to analyze the enemy, they never bothered to use Zio, they keep casting Tarukaja on Chie instead of on a character that's actually doing a decent amount of damage and could stand to do more (Yukiko) and they avoid using their medium power spells like Agilao (which Hua Po has along with a 27 Magic stat). Damn, so much fail. smh "
And yet they still won handily. Proving, yet again, that there is no "right" way to play P4. "
Yeah, you're right. It's still frustrating though. LOL
Posted by Cake

I have not played a single RPG in my life, but for two dudes who I'm guessing played at least a handful of them, you can't help but go "wat..." at some of the things they do haha

Posted by Sayishere

guys, wasting keys on these low level dungeons is a waste

better to save them for the 'last' dungeon

Posted by Godot
@Sayishere said:
" guys, wasting keys on these low level dungeons is a waste  better to save them for the 'last' dungeon "
You are aware that this was filmed almost 2 years ago...right?
Posted by croatbear
@Mars_Cleric: eBay
Posted by Gerhabio
@Godot said:
" @Sayishere said:
" guys, wasting keys on these low level dungeons is a waste  better to save them for the 'last' dungeon "
You are aware that this was filmed almost 2 years ago...right? "
Hahaha
Posted by MJHAYLETT

the last 4 mins of this video will not load.........Nooooooooooo. Dammit Janet.

Posted by wafflez

Poor Jack, he just wants to be a part of the action.

Posted by MooseyMcMan
@MJHAYLETT said:
the last 4 mins of this video will not load.........Nooooooooooo. Dammit Janet.
Dammit Janet is only appropriate in videos involving Brad. ;)
Moderator Online
Posted by Marokai

I don't understand why Vinny was so bummed out by the 1exp from the extra boss. It's not like it would've given that much in comparison to all the exp they got doing that entire dungeon. Was hardly that big of a loss.

Posted by ThisKidInNorway

@RampageEndsHere said:

I don't like Jeff's take of how japanese RPG should compromise just to appeal to a larger mass. The mass can suck GTA IV's, Gears Of Wars' , Call Of Duty's, Fallout 3's gonorhea-infected-cock. The JRPG norm IS what make a video game A GAME, and not A SIMULATION like aforementioned games. Of course everybody here knows this genre has been a garbage in the last few years, even letting a floodgate of repulsive western RPGs like Knights of The Old Republic, Nevermore Nights, Baldur's Gate to rise to prominence, but it doesn't mean the norms should be relinquished in any way. Atlus broke the ice with Shin Megami Tensei : Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga. This customization with the Personas is the biggest innovation they could ever come up with. Comparing appealing first-person-shooters to Shin Megami Tensei : Persona's serie is almost like comparing Green Day with Pat Metheny Group.

Well, you summed it up quite nicely, however, some of us DO enjoy the occasional simulation. I personally would much rather have the Persona series, but I'm currently stuck with a mix of CoD Black Ops (I only play Zombies, lol), FFXII and XIII, Uncharted 2 (NOT a massively over-the-top game like CoD, imo), and Oblivion (amazingly enough, I have yet to hear the Oblivion/Elder Scrolls series becoming hugely popular, lol. I find that odd, as it's one of THE greatest adventure games, imo).

Also, about your comment on "repulsive western RPG's":

The Final Fantasy games have gone pretty downhill since FFX (do you not see that FFXIII IS comprimising to the masses?), and I think that they're starting to go down. Baldur's Gate seems to me to be a rather satisfying RPG game (at least Dark Alliance), and you can't claim a game is repulsive unless every gamer in the world agrees with you. Instead of stating facts, put forth your opinions. There's a difference that could really make people angry.

Apart from my critisism of your lack of care of others' opinions, I do agree that comparing mass-appealing FPS games to RPG's is like comparing Green Day to (I dunno who Pat Metheny Group is) Justin Bieber, but for different reasons. Green Day appeals to one group of people, Bieber to another. CoD, Battlefield, GTA IV, Gears of War and Fallout appeal to those who like those games, whereas OUR kind of group enjoys this, the JRPG catagory.

Another way of putting it is this: X-Box 360 vs. PS3. Which is better? I would say PS3, but that would be to save myself from buying an X-Box 360, and X-Box players would say the 360. Apple vs. Android? I'd say Apple, as I have my own iPhone 3Gs, and I find it comfortable. Android users keep saying that Androids are better. X-Box users keep telling me that X-Box beats PS3 in so many ways, yet I don't switch. I could if I wanted, I'd get a job, work 'till I had enough, buy it, then relax, knowing I had the best I could get. But no, I stick to what I feel works for me, not what someone else prefers. Get it? We all like what we use, what we know, what we're already comfortable with, instead of something that "everybody" likes. Our personalities have something to do with what we like, of course, those who like violence to release pent-up aggression, or just because they can, play games where they can do just that. Those who play games to burn time, get games they can play and leave, like Persona, various iPhone/Android apps, and portable games, like on the PSP or Nintendo DS.

I personally play games for story-lines, so I'll play many different games, like one day I'll be playing GTA: San Andreas, then I'll get bored and start on Oblivion. Then I get bored with running around in circles and start playing Resident Evil 5. I might switch between Resi5 and Uncharted 2 for a week, then I'll just play Uncharted 2 for a month straight, know the whole thing by heart, then move on to FFXIII. I'll screw around, get bored, and start playing Resi5 for a week again, then I might play CoD for laughs.

If anyone cares, I have PSN, and my name is ksad96. I play Black Ops: Zombies (only zombies atm), Uncharted 2 occasionally, Resident Evil 5, and possibly LittleBig Planet (What, it was free).

Posted by Undeadpool

@ThisKidInNorway said:

@RampageEndsHere said:

I don't like Jeff's take of how japanese RPG should compromise just to appeal to a larger mass. The mass can suck GTA IV's, Gears Of Wars' , Call Of Duty's, Fallout 3's gonorhea-infected-cock. The JRPG norm IS what make a video game A GAME, and not A SIMULATION like aforementioned games. Of course everybody here knows this genre has been a garbage in the last few years, even letting a floodgate of repulsive western RPGs like Knights of The Old Republic, Nevermore Nights, Baldur's Gate to rise to prominence, but it doesn't mean the norms should be relinquished in any way. Atlus broke the ice with Shin Megami Tensei : Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga. This customization with the Personas is the biggest innovation they could ever come up with. Comparing appealing first-person-shooters to Shin Megami Tensei : Persona's serie is almost like comparing Green Day with Pat Metheny Group.

Well, you summed it up quite nicely, however, some of us DO enjoy the occasional simulation. I personally would much rather have the Persona series, but I'm currently stuck with a mix of CoD Black Ops (I only play Zombies, lol), FFXII and XIII, Uncharted 2 (NOT a massively over-the-top game like CoD, imo), and Oblivion (amazingly enough, I have yet to hear the Oblivion/Elder Scrolls series becoming hugely popular, lol. I find that odd, as it's one of THE greatest adventure games, imo).

Also, about your comment on "repulsive western RPG's":

The Final Fantasy games have gone pretty downhill since FFX (do you not see that FFXIII IS comprimising to the masses?), and I think that they're starting to go down. Baldur's Gate seems to me to be a rather satisfying RPG game (at least Dark Alliance), and you can't claim a game is repulsive unless every gamer in the world agrees with you. Instead of stating facts, put forth your opinions. There's a difference that could really make people angry.

Apart from my critisism of your lack of care of others' opinions, I do agree that comparing mass-appealing FPS games to RPG's is like comparing Green Day to (I dunno who Pat Metheny Group is) Justin Bieber, but for different reasons. Green Day appeals to one group of people, Bieber to another. CoD, Battlefield, GTA IV, Gears of War and Fallout appeal to those who like those games, whereas OUR kind of group enjoys this, the JRPG catagory.

Another way of putting it is this: X-Box 360 vs. PS3. Which is better? I would say PS3, but that would be to save myself from buying an X-Box 360, and X-Box players would say the 360. Apple vs. Android? I'd say Apple, as I have my own iPhone 3Gs, and I find it comfortable. Android users keep saying that Androids are better. X-Box users keep telling me that X-Box beats PS3 in so many ways, yet I don't switch. I could if I wanted, I'd get a job, work 'till I had enough, buy it, then relax, knowing I had the best I could get. But no, I stick to what I feel works for me, not what someone else prefers. Get it? We all like what we use, what we know, what we're already comfortable with, instead of something that "everybody" likes. Our personalities have something to do with what we like, of course, those who like violence to release pent-up aggression, or just because they can, play games where they can do just that. Those who play games to burn time, get games they can play and leave, like Persona, various iPhone/Android apps, and portable games, like on the PSP or Nintendo DS.

I personally play games for story-lines, so I'll play many different games, like one day I'll be playing GTA: San Andreas, then I'll get bored and start on Oblivion. Then I get bored with running around in circles and start playing Resident Evil 5. I might switch between Resi5 and Uncharted 2 for a week, then I'll just play Uncharted 2 for a month straight, know the whole thing by heart, then move on to FFXIII. I'll screw around, get bored, and start playing Resi5 for a week again, then I might play CoD for laughs.

If anyone cares, I have PSN, and my name is ksad96. I play Black Ops: Zombies (only zombies atm), Uncharted 2 occasionally, Resident Evil 5, and possibly LittleBig Planet (What, it was free).

The other issue is that so much of what Jeff is talking about (mostly: THE GRINDING) is a relic from an era where games needed to be padded out. And make no mistake: that's exactly what grinding is.

Posted by Nottle

LAST RESORT!

I love that Jeff made that Tim and Eric / Steve Brule reference. Took me a second. Wonder if anyone else got it.

Edited by larryrules138

@Godot said:

@Sayishere said:
" guys, wasting keys on these low level dungeons is a waste better to save them for the 'last' dungeon "
You are aware that this was filmed almost 2 years ago...right?

Watching this series now I have to control myself from basically doing this too. Throughout the episodes I've kept wanting to post "what are you doing!" type comments before coming to my senses and realizing that about three years have elapsed and all my grievances were likely aired ad nauseum when the videos were new. Now I find the bumbling around and derpiness to be comical instead of annoying. If I hadn't played this game myself I likely would've found it funny from the get-go, but watching someone fuck up in a game you're familiar with can sometimes be annoying as hell. Now I'm just embracing it. It's a shame I'm watching these now and know they reach the end as there were a few potential nail-biting moments where it seemed the ER may have died, like losing episode 50 and the power failures.

e: I've chosen to post this comment, which I actually spent time on and gave some thought to, in the comments section of video 63 of a 3-4 year old ER, effectively guaranteeing it'll never be seen. Derp!

Posted by ashogo

@larryrules138: You'd be surprised by how many people are still coming back through these.

Posted by Red_Anchor_Whale

@larryrules138: I'm still making my way though them as I never got around to playing P4. I find the ER eps are great to have on while I do mundane tasks. However, if you think your instinct to call them out is bad, check the Chrono Trigger comments...shit got crazy with rage, mainly because so many people had played the game. Yes their bumbling on any ER can be painful to watch, but it's entertainment - just turn it off if it's no longer entertaining. Jeff and Vinny have some epic quotes throughout this I do wish they would put on shirts - I'd buy several, regardless of if anyone else got the joke.

I also wish they would use Kanji! Someone please tell me they eventually bring him in for longer than 5 minutes ;_;

Posted by Still_I_Cry

People are way, way too serious about this. It's a game, they're having fun playing through it. Just because you have to be the über master of Persona 4 doesn't mean everyone has to or wants to play that way.

Posted by Duffyside
Edited by super2j
Posted by Azurath

So, I know these are obviously very old, but did they ever end up watching the anime?

I just started it today, and I couldn't contain myself when I saw the fucking loading screen.

Posted by RazielCuts

I'm am SO annoyed that before they went in they specifically said 'what if we get 1 exp?' then they do and overwrite their save with that, wasn't these past 2 eps about grinding?! reload the damn save and fight guys till the arcana wears off! grrrrr.