232 Comments
Posted by CL60

Hurrah

Posted by Jimbo

It's like an episode of Power Rangers but without the budget.

Posted by Kou_Leifoh

Another weird ass TANG.

Posted by Vlaphor

Damn.  I saw this movie once in theaters and I didn't remember it being this terrible.  One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a side-by-side comparison of the cgi in this one and the live-action tv series, Mortal Kombat Conquest, just to see which is worse.

Posted by Moridin

I like this movie because it's so bad. Haha.

Posted by Nasar7

I'm sure the effects looked pretty damn cool at the time. I remember not going to see it in theaters because I had heard such bad things about it.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

This movie looks horrible. 'Nuff said.

Posted by MatthewMeadows

One of the reasons I love TANG so much is that Vinny gets free creative license with his editing, best seen in the Silent Hill TANG.

Also Ryan's presenting is awesome.
Posted by Death_Unicorn

Awesome TANG!

Posted by Brendan

What's with all the "I saw it when I was 12/13, so I don't remember it being that bad."  I don't remember being mentally handicapped at that age.

Posted by mordukai

WOw, One of the best TANG's ever.

Posted by empire_man

Lol that was some pretty random editing at the end.

Edited by JP_Russell
@Nasar7 said:
"I'm sure the effects looked pretty damn cool at the time. I remember not going to see it in theaters because I had heard such bad things about it. "

No, they really didn't.  The effects were God-awful even in their time.  Even all of MK1's effects were better.  Hell, the Star Wars movies had better effects, if you ask me.
Posted by momentarylogic

Totally watched this turd in the theater upon the insistance of a good friend.. almost as bad as House of the Dead (another friend influienced decision). Terrible.

Posted by koolaid39

Loved the montage!

Posted by Nasar7
@JP_Russell:
" @Nasar7 said:
"I'm sure the effects looked pretty damn cool at the time. I remember not going to see it in theaters because I had heard such bad things about it. "
No, they really didn't.  The effects were God-awful even in their time.  Even all of MK1's effects were better.  Hell, the Star Wars movies had better effects, if you ask me. "
I stand corrected. Yeah, I was gonna say that a bunch of old sci-fi movies like Star Wars have better effects but the ones that are composited into scenes are usually just small things like blaster fire or lightsaber blades, and all the aliens being puppets and ships being models. In that way you could say that MK:A was more ambitious, but ultimately all the worse for it.
Posted by buzz_killington

"Unsuitable for fans either" is not correct. I think "not suitable for fans either" is what you mean Ryan.

Posted by Chocobo_Blitzer

I saw this in theaters as a kid! I remember it being disappointing, but I think I still said I liked it. Pffft kids are weird.

Posted by MatthewMeadows
@buzz_killington:

Buzz Killingtons your name, killing the buzz is your game.
Posted by Gre

I think Giantbomb's green-screen CG effects look better than this.

Posted by fox01313

Yikes just yikes, Ryan at GiantBomb taking this dvd shaped bullet makes me ever so happy I didn't see this film. Hopefully all the films for TANG aren't too much for any one person to watch.

Posted by thecombine

No backflip montage?

Posted by Slaneesh
@JP_Russell said:
" @Nasar7 said:
No, they really didn't.  The effects were God-awful even in their time.  Even all of MK1's effects were better.  Hell, the Star Wars movies had better effects, if you ask me. "
The old king kong movies looks better.
Posted by InFamous91

Man, i remember this in theaters

Posted by JJWeatherman

I love the funny endings you guys throw in on TANG videos. Even if the movie is god awful, we can always count on Vinny's clever editing skills.

Posted by Beomoose

Seen better SFX  on YouTube

Posted by DukeEdwardI

Wow that CGI is terrible.

Posted by Danterion

I actually saw this in the theaters back in the day. And I ENJOYED IT!!! Then again, I was 10.

Posted by JJOR64

Lmfao.  Another great TANG.

Posted by chilipeppersman

wow that looked pretty bad

Posted by Nightlight

YAY TANG.... PS the Giantbomb app store ads on the side of the site are kick ass

Posted by Blair

Great episode of TANG, Ryan.

The ending was fantastic, that music needs to be in more things!

Posted by Bucketdeth

Hahaha, great review Ryan, loved the ending.

Posted by KnifeySpoony

That was a terrific episode, loved the editing.

Posted by SunnyD

looks like they have their graphics for their next i love mondays

Posted by CrazySunshine

Glad that James Remar's career recovered from this disaster. He's pretty good in Dexter.

Posted by Media_Master

I bet the special effects were considered good back in the day

Posted by Vampire_Chibi
Mortal Kombat!
Posted by mister_evil

I get it! Shao Khan is Freiza!

Edited by Trilogy

I probably watched this movie 20 times or so when I was 10 or 11 which meant I must of thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Not sure what I was thinking though, tried watching it a few months ago and threw up a little. Still holds some nostalgia for me though.

Btw, I always thought Sub Zero looked like David Schwimmer (the guy who played ross on friends).

Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw

I'm ashamed to say I paid good money to see this in a theater.  Those of us scarred by those memories of those lonesome, dark theaters should really band together and sue.  Oh God, the horror, the horror...

Posted by auspiciousqueue

Makes me glad I never rewatched the movie. Great TANG!

Posted by ReTarDedFisHy

ReTarDedFisHy doesn't remember the CGI effects being that bad :O

Posted by usedtype

Completely spot on review.  The first film was stupid fun, the second was just stupid.  The special effects were awful, the costumes cheesy, the sets lame, and the fighting boring.  The "animality" sequence at the end is easily the worst CG in a theatrical film.  Television shows had better special effects back then than this movie.

Posted by Kolonel_Kool

I forgot how terrible the CG sequences were.  I did see this when I was a kid though.  Go cheap cash cows.

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy

ok, all together now 1..2..3 MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does Ryan always roll his sleeves up?

Posted by lemon360

at least they had cgi

Posted by AllanIceman

Needs more TANG.

Posted by dillinger

i hope you do the dungeon siege movie next.

or how about dungeons and dragons.  wasnt jerry o connel in that movie?
Posted by Xander51

I watched this movie in the theaters having enjoyed the first movie, and being a big fan of the games.

I was so incredibly disappointed.