232 Comments
Posted by SuperfluousMoniker

Ya know, played back to back to that music, those special effects seem almost epic. But only in that context. In practice I'm sure it's almost as MST3K-worthy as Transmorphers. Or Transmorphers 2: Fall of Man.

Posted by freakin

terrible movie... pretty good soundtrack though.

Posted by Sathan

The tag line on the box art for this movie is: "Destroy all expectations!" Even the marketing for this movie knew it was a piece of crap.

Edited by ZarakixKenpachi

lol, "Find your graduating class" Giantbomb app ad. Jeff, Ryan and Shaq.

Posted by ashogo

Compared to last week's movie, this looks like an oscar contender.

Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles

Damn I forgot how much crappy CGI was in this.

Posted by Arjuna

I saw this movie in theatres as a forgiving, impressionable youth; but the only thing I can remember about this movie is how embarassingly bad it was.  At the time I did not find it 'funny' bad, I just found it embarassing; being a fan of MK and eager to see the sequel to a rather good movie.

Posted by krystians

The only good thing about this movie, is the theme song.

Posted by Osiris

Haha I remember like the first movie, but I was quite young, never bothered with this one tho and it seems I never will! Nice vid Ryan =)

Posted by AKiSeY

Amazing episode, as always!

Posted by cikame

The special effects arn't as bad as you make it out to be.

Yes, there are better special effects, but who cares.... really.

Posted by HaYHaYHaY

hmmm.... if i'm right... i think they're making a third one or something...?

Posted by Sir_Subtle

Anyone else think the guy yelling "MORTAL KOMBAAAT!"  sounds exactly like Vinny?

Posted by The_Aus_Hulk

God i feel like such a dumb ass for liking this movie when i was younger, i think I've watched this movie easily 10 times.

Posted by VichusSmith
The first Mortal Kombat movie made me want to go to my karate class and fight a sensei. Anihillation made me want to stop playing video games, stop learning martial arts and stop watching film altogether. I know MK wasn't a polished work of brilliance, but I felt that it masde more sense than this abomination. 

The Giantbomb.com domain should just be a site that forwards to the official movie site of Mortal Combat Anihillation. This was a huge disappointment.
Posted by dbz1995

Anybody else notice how the CGI sequences were all fake?

Posted by Kohe321

Awesome Tang! :D

Posted by eduardo

Annihilation is indeed awful, the way they just kill off characters is just the tip of the low budget iceberg.

Posted by RVonE
@cikame said:
"The special effects arn't as bad as you make it out to be.Yes, there are better special effects, but who cares.... really."

No, they are really bad. Even for that time.
Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud
@cikame said:
"The special effects arn't as bad as you make it out to be.Yes, there are better special effects, but who cares.... really."

Not as bad as he makes them out to be?  He shows them and they are god awful.  If not the worst I've ever seen they are right up there.  Even as a kid I didn't like this shitty movie.
Posted by lesenfantterrible

I remember digging this when I was 14 but to think The Matrix came out two years later with only 37 million bucks more than the budget of this train wreck and for even liking it back then I fell like stepping in front of a bus...haha. 

Posted by raidingkvatch

Shao Kahn looks like a knock off Vin Diesel

Posted by AURON570

ahh can't get enough of that CG =D

Posted by phlegms

Oh noes this wont end well...

Posted by lordofultima
@cikame: Really? Because I can create better special effects in Adobe After Effects in like 6 minutes flat. They are terrible.
Posted by HandsomeDead

After seeing Escape From LA, the CGI in MK: Annihilation is basically photo realism.

Posted by Mezmero

Holy crap thank you TANG!  It almost makes up for the $7 I paid to see it in the theatres.  Part 1 had the efficieny of having nothing but a Mortal Kombat feel to it, but this one couldn't be more tame and poorly conceived.  I think what I'm most disappointed in was that there was no sense of brutality during the fights and there was not 1 awesome fatality scene in the whole movie.  I think back to the first movie having nothing but cool deaths with the possible exception of the puppet's death, Goro rest in peace.

Posted by Maxszy

Oh god this movie is so bad. Some of my friends and I used to watch it just to laugh at it for a night. We did that numerous times, and it always provided the entertainment in that way.

Posted by Cerza

Good God I remember this movie. It's so awful....

Posted by Yit

I loved the ending.

Posted by PenguinDust

heh-heh, "Meatheaded"

Awesome TANG - God, how I dislike this movie.  I was looking forward to the film after enjoying MK1 and then right at the start I realized it was going to be utter crap when they offed Johnny Cage and set everyone into the back hills of Hollywood to fight random creeps.  I swear I think I saw those settings on original Star Trek episodes. 

Posted by DerekDanahy

Oh my god that's awesome.

Posted by Mouth
@Ben_H said:
"@Stealthmaster86 said:
"

This movie makes DOOM looks like Lord Of The Rings...

"
So instead of shooting stuff they walk for two hours?"

Aren't all 3 lord of the rings just a film of walking to a stupid volcano?
Edited by babz

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang

p.s is jeff crying???

Posted by Milpool

lol movies

Posted by VibratingDonkey

The only things worse than this movie are Home Alone 4, Alone in the Dark II and genocide.

Posted by cspiffo

The sad part is I actually own this train wreck.  Not on purpose though.  I loaned my MK to a kid my wife Babysitted and he return this pile of dog poo to my wife (who has no clue about this stuff).  By the time I had realized this swindle, his parents moved away.  Lesson learned I guess.  I can't even sell this crap it's so bad.

Posted by Origina1Penguin

Horrible movie.  I pretend it never happened lest I would cry myself to unconsciousness.

Posted by Renegade
@VibratingDonkey said:
" The only things worse than this movie are Home Alone 4, Alone in the Dark II and genocide. "
And any other movie made by Uwe Boll.
Posted by VilhelmNielsen

What's up with the Justin Long apperance?

Posted by Foxdemon2k

This looks so terrible even I wouldn't see it, and I generally love to watch bad movies.

Posted by Surllio

I remember when this movie first came out.  I loved the first one, but this one...it was....ugh.

Calling it crap is an upgrade.

"What do you do when you don't have the actor for a character?"  "Kill them in the first 5 minutes."

Posted by Stealthmaster86
@Mouth:

And a WHOLE Lot of awesome battles and fight scenes.
Posted by Alex

I remember I saw this on one of those random afternoon outings with my dad. You know, the divorced father-son thing where you get lunch, go to a movie, and then don't talk for two weeks. Pretty standard.

Anyway, there were no decent movies playing that weekend so I half-jokingly suggested we see Annhilation. He agreed. Afterward he wouldn't let me pick the movie for a couple of months. What a fucking nightmare.

Staff
Posted by EnterpriseE

Man I remember watching this movie on VHS when i was 10 years old. I thought the movie was awesome. So awesome that many years later i bought the soundtrack for it and guess what? I still listen to the soundtrack .LOLOL!!!

Posted by AV_Gamer

LMAO! I agree MKA wasn't as good as the first one, but I didn't realize how crappy the CG was until I seen this. I was still a teen when I watched it for the first time.

Posted by Legend
@alex said:
" I remember I saw this on one of those random afternoon outings with my dad. You know, the divorced father-son thing where you get lunch, go to a movie, and then don't talk for two weeks. Pretty standard.Anyway, there were no decent movies playing that weekend so I half-jokingly suggested we see Annhilation. He agreed. Afterward he wouldn't let me pick the movie for a couple of months. What a fucking nightmare. "
What can make an episode of TANG even more awesome? Why a comment by none other than friggin' Alex Navarro of course.
Posted by Thello

You're confusing special effects for visual effects. Visual effects are CGI. Special effects are practical, like explosions or gunfire.

Edited by TwoOneFive

i still like the first one. had some good fights and the humor wasnt bad at all. but this shit was fucking was worse than trash juice. 

Posted by Redriderxxl

Great effects! love the ending.