259 Comments
Posted by EndlessMike

The part where that lady was talking terribly and the other one was laughing was so meta. I was laughing at her too.

Posted by Danterion

ZZZZZZ

Posted by Earthborn

I actually enjoyed Shenmue, even if it was incredibly tedious and sometimes awful. There were zen-like moments sprinkled within. It's too bad it didn't come with the Japanese language and Eng subtitles, though.

Posted by Delta_Ass

I'm totally with Brad.

This game is for the birds.

Posted by Bartman3010

My god...this would make a great Endurance Run. Even if it is kinda plodding .

Posted by Ken420

+points for Giant Bomb doing another unique thing.   More nostalgia please.

Shenmue on Dreamcast was amazing... I've spent many a yen on those silly little capsule machines. 

The real tragedy here is that Yu Suzuki wanted this to be an epic & long series... its unfortunate his dream was cut short to 2 and thus another innovative series bites the dust.  

Here's hoping a next-gen Shenmue III or at the very least an "HD Remix" type treatment to both, will come. I would definitely pick any of those up. 

Posted by nrain

This game is boring to watch :/
Posted by ToxicFruit

god i remember this game :P played it to death

Posted by Insectecutor

Was the FSAA on the original game or is this due to the video being scaled down?

Edited by CaptainTightPants

QuickLook overload, SWEET

Posted by Marzy

A true masterpiece in videogames and one of my favourite games of all-time.

Posted by Webby

Shenmue FTW!

Posted by Dan_CiTi

I really like all of the things like him drinking the can, the casual but weird atmosphere.

Posted by upwarDBound

One of my favorite games of all time. Seriously.

Posted by HarrySound

Such a fantastic game...this and Outcast paved the way for games like Mass Effect. and Heavy Rain. 

Endurance run please!
Posted by Kontrapunkt

I dunno, I'm feeling 6.8 :)

Posted by tysonwritesel

One of the best games of all time.  I completed this game years ago.

Posted by squidracerX

WE CANNOT HEAR THE DIALOG IN THE GAME! you guys gotta turn up game voices... we hear u fine but any talking in a game is always almost silent.....

Posted by TheClap

Did anyone else have the Persona 4 music in their head while watching?

Posted by Insectecutor
@squidracerX said:
" WE CANNOT HEAR THE DIALOG IN THE GAME!"
I can hear it. It's weak. Sounds like the voice actors were trying to match the lipsync, either that or they just sucked pretty hard. I agree it could be a little louder, though. They need a compressor set up like DJs have on the radio, so when they talk it fades the game down but when they're not talking the game volume is high.
Posted by Daftasabat

Brad, trust me on this one, you'll love playing Shenmue...you can't die! This game was amazing when it came out, a real benchmark and spawn of a thousand ideas for games to come....check out Heavy Rain

Posted by Turokjunglefogdinosaurinmist

These reviewers give out 9s and 5s like candy but they don't like Shenmue?   6.8 is fed up and that doesn't even make sense and the score was increased by a point anyway. 

One other thing Lord of the Rings Conquest is a solid game and 2 stars is way too low for such a good game.

I don't even think they spend any time playing any games (actually a video game enthusiast) and unless the game is really easy or quick to finish they won't like it.  They even rated Monster Madness Battle for Suburbia a 5.0 that doesn't make sense.  They just want to sell you a rhythm game with a band's name attached to it (sell out).  Ignition Florida the creator of Monster Madness' next game R6 will be a huge leap forward.  These guys can't make a game if they depended on it.

Posted by Octaslash

I would love to see an endurance run on this and Shenmue II.

Posted by Besetment

This is not an endurance run I could watch.

Posted by Hyco24
@guts450 said:
" please make this the new endurance run, I beg you GiantBomb staff "
+1

@Zabant said:
" 20 hours is nothing ryan.  you could knock this game out in a month.  DO AN ENDURANCE RUN! you and dave, or you and brad/vinny!  i love jeff, but i think a ryan jeff combo would not work for this game.  THE PEOPLE WANT IT. "You should do it, people would buy it" "
+1 million
Posted by Turokjunglefogdinosaurinmist

I doubt a real video game fan would want to listen to guys talk OVER Shenmue especially ones that don't appreciate it.

Edited by DiGiTaL_SiN

DUDE, I HAVE THE BEST IDEA FOR THE NEXT ENDURANCE RUN!

Shenmue 1 and 2! Think about it! It's perfect!

EDIT: OMG, I'm not the only one! That's awesome! We have to let them know we want it! I already PMed Vinny about it!

Posted by ArbitraryWater

I agree with brad. This game seems to be everything I hate about the medium.

Posted by Dethfish

I've never played Shenmue but based off this QL it looks boring as hell. I see that a lot of you guys like it but I don't understand why. Seriously, that might of been the most boring 20+ minutes of a game I've ever seen. I hope it gets a little more lively and exciting after a while.

I could never watch an ER of this game.

Posted by billysea

I love this game so much, and also beat S2 on Xbox.  How come it looks so boring in this video?

Posted by troyx

only one of best games of all time.ah this makes living worth while and keeps me hoping for shenmue 3

Edited by DiGiTaL_SiN

Also, for those who say that the first 20 minutes are boring and this game will not make a good endurance run, TRUST ME YOU ARE DEAD WRONG. Shenmue 1 and 2 were truly revolutionary games that were WAY ahead of their time. And if you think back when we first watched the Persona 4 endurance run, the first like 5 episodes were also very boring, not even marginally interesting like how this game starts.

Personally, if they're going to do either Shenmue 1 or 2, I would choose 2. Shenmue 2 improved quite a bit, and It was also ported to the original xbox and a downloadable on the Xbox360 originals, so atleast it's going to look marginally better (not that it matters). But I'd prefer it if they do both 1 and 2 in order.

Posted by AuthenticM

I don't like this game. It sucks. WAY way overrated.

Posted by Najaf

This game is fantastic. Shenmue and its sequel are easily among the top five game experiences I have ever had. 

Posted by stephengotlost

Hey mister, let's play baseball!

Posted by DrJota

Do you know where sailors hang out??

Shenmue ER would be sick,by the by.

Posted by Fleafa

There should be an endurance run of Shenmue 1 & 2

Posted by Blind_3

I vote YES on a Shenmue Endurance Run!

Posted by yakov456

In my top 3. Oh Shenmue how I love thee.

Posted by mrfluke

if you guys are looking for a modern shenmue esque game you should try the yakuza series if i recall in fact the shenmue team is responsible for the yakuza series

Posted by DeadDorf

Watching this today is infuriating. Playing would be inviting madness.

Edited by TripMasterMunky

I love the Shenmue games so much. For so many reasons. Mainly, they're great games.

Also, an ER of both Shenmue 1 and 2 would be amazing. Couldn't have Brad play though. Vinny or Jeff would have to be willing.

Posted by unihoaxer

I loved the game. I hated the job within the game but this was one of my all time favorites.

Posted by Godzilla_Sushi

Wow, I want to play this thing like crazy right now...

Posted by Origina1Penguin

Despite its faults, Shenmue is one of my favorite games of all time.  Shenmue II improved the localization so it isn't as painful to listen to characters speaking.

Also, 70 person battle was epic.

Posted by TripMasterMunky
@Godzilla_Sushi said:
" Wow, I want to play this thing like crazy right now... "
That soda drinking scene was hilarious. But stuff like that is really why Shenmue is one of my favorite games of all time.

"Would you like to play a game of Lucky Hit? How about a game of Lucky Hit?"

"Sure, I'll play."

"Okay. It's $5 to play, and the rules are - "

"Yeah, yeah. I know the rules."
Posted by JJOR64

I'll laugh if this is the next ER.

Posted by TripMasterMunky

Box mover: "Left! Right! Right! Left! UghhH! Arghhh! Right! Left! Left! UGHHH! Right! AghHH! Left! Ugh! OKAY! We're putting it down!"

Ryo: "Sure."

Posted by oraknabo

I have better memories of these games than almost any other. It's too bad the guys can't fully appreciate it, but I bet if Brad & Vinny actually played through the whole game, it would leave a better impression.

Posted by Wunder

Hey Mister! Let's play BASEBALL.