240 Comments
Posted by Dtat

I hope the in-game music is better than that. If I have to listen to cheesy pop songs for the whole game, that's a deal-breaker
Posted by Doubt

i think this is a perfect translation from japan melodramatic voice acting and cheese jpop song to english melodramatic voice acting and cheesy american pop song. 

reminds me of kingdom hearts with their songs "simple and clean" and the other one.  

probably will hear it in the end and begining.

Posted by cravins90
@JuanHino: Indeed.
Posted by Goopynose

They should have turned down the music for this trailer. I'm trying to hear them speak.

Posted by ChrisTilton

PRO TIP: Don't blast a pop song with lyrics while showing scenes with lots of dialog.

Posted by Darkstar614

Man what's with everyone hating on the voice acting. It's actually pretty good with the modified lip sync. It's not the problem here.

The dialogue is what could be considered "cheesy", but it fits the characters and game. I said something similar a while back on a previous trailer posted on GB, but it's a Japanese game made for Japanese players. This kind of "cheesyness" is pretty typical over there, and the emo characters are as well.

The only reason people prefer the Japanese voices for crap like this is because it helps give them the illusion that Japanese-created fiction is better than it seems. In the same way that your imagination makes most books more enjoyable.

If you don't like Final Fantasy, stop trolling and ripping on the VO when its not justified at all.

Edited by MrNiceguy

I've never really liked final fantasy, but I was hoping this would be different from it's predecessors... Too late I am off final fantasy forever.
Just realized that I've never liked the vibe coming from this series.
We need more dragon quest, suikoden, Shin Megami Tensei

Posted by IBurningStar
@Doubt said:
" i think this is a perfect translation from japan melodramatic voice acting and cheese jpop song to english melodramatic voice acting and cheesy american pop song.  reminds me of kingdom hearts with their songs "simple and clean" and the other one.   probably will hear it in the end and begining. "
Hey I liked "Simple and Clean" and thought it was a fitting song. This, however, is crap. I also just came to a realization. You know how when you watched Transformers 2 you thought it was the most overly complicated, nonsensical, hilariously overblown and melodramatic piece of shit imaginable? That is what this is. SquareEnix is the Michael Bay of JRPGs. 

I blame the people who loved FF VIII and its "deep" and "touching" love story and then refused to play FF IX because it was "too kiddy."
Posted by JoshS

All black people talk like Samuel Jackson.

Posted by Spiritof

Every time you hear the word "Cocoon", take a drink.

Edited by Tuffty

I'm of the opinion that if you're content to read text at the bottom of a screen when dialog in a language that's incomprehensible to you flies past, you never were in it for the voice acting.

For those who can understand Japanese and prefer it to the English, fine, import it, enjoy it. For those, like me, who can't tell the difference between good and bad voice acting in Japanese, just put up with the English voice over which seems perfectly adequate IMO.

Posted by Faint
@KaosAngel: "fucking Australian". watch your tongue mate. believe it or not, Australian's don't actually sound like that 99% of the time. It's just America seems to always use stereotypical accented Australian's in any production, which actually quite infuriates me as we are being misrepresented. 

the theme song sucks. i want an option in the menus to change it back to the original theme song, as the game was intended.
Posted by Kirathian

Looks pretty damn good to me.  The red haired girl's voice acting....  I hope that was just a bad line cause damn.  The action scenes look freaking ridiculously amazing.  

Excitedness + 3657

Posted by Shinryu

The song doesnt suit, but that trailer just sold me on the game. Looks a step up in terms of adding gloss than the other recent games in the genre.

Posted by stinky

voice acting seems fine for the most part, its the stiff marionette people that are jarring. 
i can understand why an actor would have trouble emoting with such other worldly action.

Posted by DRE7777

The last good final fantasy game was VIII (or maybe IX), so I am really excited to see how this one turns out. Hopefully it won't disappoint. 

Posted by Swoxx

good trailer.
good song.

Posted by foomfoom

The English VAs for the main cast have done a great job. The minor characters on the other hand, are all really amateurish sounding. I don't know if I can get behind an Australian Fang, and I don't like where they went with Sahz, but everyone else eclipsed their Japanese equivalent. Well done.

Shame about the game as a whole though. Blech.

Edited by Jeust
@Darkstar614 said:

" Man what's with everyone hating on the voice acting. It's actually pretty good with the modified lip sync. It's not the problem here. The dialogue is what could be considered "cheesy", but it fits the characters and game. I said something similar a while back on a previous trailer posted on GB, but it's a Japanese game made for Japanese players. This kind of "cheesyness" is pretty typical over there, and the emo characters are as well.  The only reason people prefer the Japanese voices for crap like this is because it helps give them the illusion that Japanese-created fiction is better than it seems. In the same way that your imagination makes most books more enjoyable.   If you don't like Final Fantasy, stop trolling and ripping on the VO when its not justified at all. "

+ over 9000

The trailer is awesome, too awesome really. Everythings fits perfectly, but it's deceiving as it seems a amazing game, and the music doesn't really fit well the game's theme as it is romantic and probably personal, not made for the game. 

Best trailer in a great while though.
Posted by dibiase77

Nice looking trailer, and I think the pop song is appropriate, it sounds like EVERYTHING FINAL FANTASY STANDS FOR. People just have to get over it.

Edited by KingBroly

The complaints about the song in the trailer are thus: 
- It goes over the voice acting 

That is all.  Also, still no footage of the 360 version.

Posted by Moridin

Obligatory "OMG RISE AND KANJI" comment. 

There, I already did it. No need!

Posted by SkinnyTint--defunct

I really don't see how that Leona Lewis song is apparently SOOOO bad when compared to Eyes on Me or the pop songs FF has used.  Everyone's getting their panties in a twist when it's pretty much par the course for the FF series.

Posted by TripMasterMunky

Eh, dialogue and story is always kinda corny in FF titles. Just seems like it's way too much for teenagers. But it'll still probably be a pretty cool and fun game. Looks pretty nice.

Also, I dare someone to make a Japanese RPG that doesn't have characters with funky-colored hair.

Posted by Media_Master

Pretty trailer.

Posted by Kaigan

That was okay.

Edited by zzZBibboZzz

Posted by EthanML

Fuck it, I've gotta admit the song seemed to fit a lot better than I ever expected it to.

And the voices seem perfectly decent for the most part. 

After this I'm more excited for the game than I've been so far, my only concern now lies in how the combat is going to perform.

Posted by Emandudeguyperson

Bad CG is bad.

Posted by Jiggah

1.  There's nothing wrong with Leona Lewis doing the theme.  It's better than some J-Pop chick singing some Engrish version of the song.

2.  The voice acting seems to be top notched for this one.  It's much, much better than the last couple of FFs.  It might be the Kingdom Hearts influence, since that had some pretty amazing voice acting i.e. it was tailored to an American audience.

Posted by GrumpyTheDorf

I don't see bad CG
I do hear a horrible song
I don't hear THAT bad of VO
I do hear a bunch of Otakus whining about how Japanese is sooo much better and apparently always is

Edited by ShadowMountain

The Good: 
-Lip-sync is amazing - well impressed with the effort put in
-Cut-scenes/GC looks stunning

The bad:
-Trailer WAY too long. When will SE learn that long trailers can bore an audience
-Volume of music need to dim when characters are speaking 
-Cocoon and  Fal'Cie are pretty dumb and clumsy words; again, not good trailer material

The Ugly:
-People complaining of the voice acting and stating that the Japanese VA is so much better - see 
Darkstar614's comment, he's pretty much bang-on  with the book analogy

Edited by Cornman89

Well, that seems pretty damn localized. Good show. I'm so fucking sick of Laura Bailey, though. If that schoolgirl dies in the first 15 minutes of the game, it won't be soon enough...

Posted by Horace

Bleh, this story seems kinda cheesey.

Posted by jonnyboy

I feel I need to apologise on be half of my country for Leona Lewis. But then she's on a Final Fantasy so it's not like I'm ever gonna hear it. Oh forget it, she's your problem now.

Posted by babblinmule

The final 60 seconds of this trailer...... wow.

Posted by hawkinson76

To all those comparing this trailer to the full JP game: why are you complaining about a version of the game you won't play? Should I complain about the spanish dubbing of movies when channel surfing LA broadcast TV? 

Posted by CL60
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" Bad CG is bad. "
Fail.
Posted by Jimbo

That is some mega-shitty voice acting.

Pretty good trailer, if you pretend that nobody is talking and there's a more appropriate song playing (Ride of the Valkyries).

Posted by Spiritof

This makes the game look very "girl-on-girl" to me.

Which is never really a bad thing.

Posted by MachoFantastico

That trailer alone as caused me to lose any interest I had in this game.

Posted by Kyreo

Dude... Those last 60 seconds of the trailer SOLD ME on this game.  

Posted by captainawesomo

This trailer is extremely bewildering.

Posted by Vigorousjammer

Honestly... the English voiceover is better than I was expecting... you guys are waaaay too picky with how the voiceover sounds, I think it's fine for the most part, and much better than PAST final fantasy dubs

Edited by FuzzYLemoN

I just had a 4 minute and 32 second cringe. :S

Posted by KuwabaraTheMan

Hype x 1,000.

This game looks well worth the wait to me. Waiting two more months is going to be rough.

Posted by Milkman

Putting aside the Leona Lewis and the usual crappy JRPG voice acting, I will say that this game looks, graphically wise, incredible. How good this looked during some parts of the trailer was just astounding.

Posted by Brendan

This game will obviously be of extremely high quality, whether I'll enjoy it is yet to be seen I suppose.
Edited by dietmango

Pretty good trailer, good song, decent voice acting. It's Final Fantasy. I'm getting it hopefully.

Posted by SpacePenguin

I dont think the song really suits the game and the action.