283 Comments
Edited by Draxyle

I've finally completed this game for myself; this sidequest alone is almost enough to make you curse Swery's name, and I even played the super dumbed down director's cut version with the knowledge of how to take down the wall ladies.

Worst thing is, the shotgun is a pretty terrible weapon.

Posted by Minalear

I think the game's story is quirky and slightly charming, but a lot of the actual mechanics/meat of the game is just god awful. If there is a sequel, I really hope SWERY focuses on the positives and completely removes the negative.

Posted by AlexanderSheen
Posted by sprode

Even though they did it accidentally on the first one, they still didn't figure out that it was smarter to run past, turn, and attack rather than shooting her as she attacks until the second hall. Also means you aren't shooting her when she's invisible.

These battles are already tedious with the weakest gun, so you might as well make it safe.

Posted by Max015

@Undeadpool said:

@BRINKTheMovieMyFavoriteMovie said:

@Ulong: Fair enough...kind of. It's still extremely poor game design to have to seek out these (sometimes) obscure sidequests to make these horrible sections bearable. Not to mention the sections themselves are just horrible game design. Like, I honestly have no idea how someone could think that section of the game would be fun or interesting in any way, regardless of whether you have a weapon that allows you to cheese your way through it.

I know it's two years old, but you're completely right. Optional weapons should mitigate the challenge of sections like this, not be necessary for the game not to be a complete SLOG.

To keep this old ass conversation going I agree. DP is a maddening mix of truly awful gameplay and wildly varying production quality juxtaposed with some really entertaining writing and honestly well performed voice acting.

I even love the mundane world with normal (if rather kooky) inhabitants, it taps into my obsession with single player virtual worlds like Shenmue and Yakuza.

I think this game would be a lot better if it had almost no shooting at all but ofc that becomes a much harder sell, and robs the game of so much of it's filler content which would make the game much shorter.

TL;DR Three wall ladies in a row is the worst!

Posted by Undeadpool

@Ulong: Fair enough...kind of. It's still extremely poor game design to have to seek out these (sometimes) obscure sidequests to make these horrible sections bearable. Not to mention the sections themselves are just horrible game design. Like, I honestly have no idea how someone could think that section of the game would be fun or interesting in any way, regardless of whether you have a weapon that allows you to cheese your way through it.

I know it's two years old, but you're completely right. Optional weapons should mitigate the challenge of sections like this, not be necessary for the game not to be a complete SLOG.

Posted by TheHakku

Oh my god. Paranormal hallway endurance run. I wanted to die. I can't imagine.

Posted by dungbootle

Oh god the inside of York's face

Posted by SPCTRE

This was one almost physically painful <3

Posted by JRizzo101

Gotta love the ER just so damn entertaining

Posted by Codeacious
I never thought I would see a HSR reference ever again. 

Thank you, Giant Bomb.
Posted by MooseyMcMan

Man, Vinny was playing like Brad there for a while...

Posted by LucyGlitter

GET YORKS CAR! GET ITTTTT

Posted by IceTrey87

Yeah Vinny, you were right, it was the wrong 'effect'.  It should've been 'affect' since York used it as a verb.

Posted by CaptainTightPants

That definitely took a lot of endurance man, those wall ladies are nearly suicide inducing.

Posted by Aaox

Yay, Homestar Runner references.

Posted by Spiritof

I've never seen a group stumble upon the correct strat for taking out Creeping Shadow quite the way the GB group has. They're really one of the easiest enemies to defeat, you just need patience,...and the shotgun. Which really serves no purpose other than for the Creepers and the "near the end" boss fight.

Posted by Roomrunner

Vinny was Shia Leboufing at 39:10

Posted by drew327

Remember all the 10-10 commercials?

"Just dial 10-10-3-2-1, then 1, then the number!"

I never understood why they just didnt say "Dial 10 10 3 2 1 1"

Posted by Carlos1408

My god this really is an endurance run! lol I feel bad for you guys watching you play it, awesome though! :D

Posted by Genjai

oh, man, Vinny. Casting bufu on things and driving towards the wrong sub-plot marker.

Posted by MrGtD

I love this game, but it is fucking terrible.
Posted by Rxanadu
@eduardo: I concur.  Heck, I wouldn't hold it against them if they decided to make this the last episode of their ER.
Posted by Potter9156

Goddamn ceiling ladies. I thought VJ were going to break.

Posted by Capum15

Holy shit, the end of the "General's" little arc was...dude. Did not see that one coming. I went from laughing along with the guys to straight up "O.o" mode.

Hah, I loved the somewhat random talk during the first Wall Lady that evolved into full-blown SSFIV talk.

Man, Vinny's getting worked over by the wall lady. Haha, "Good dodge." *fireball phases through them* *laughter*. And then it happens again. Man, they've started getting the wall lady battles down. Well, except for the whole "Getting choked the fuck out." aspect.

Man, all that for...that. At least it's infinite. Hope it doesn't detract them for whenever the C map and Inf. RPG becomes available. Good episode.

Posted by EmperorSeth

Today I had my first encounter with a Crawling Shadow.  I have to admit I was nervous.  Would it end with the frequent tragedy of the BR run or the unending battles of the VJ run?  Will the unlimited flamethrower that I found make a difference?  Could I use the knowledge gained by these runs to help me?

It turns out the answers were neither, no, and yes.  Honestly I don't see the point of the flamethrower at all.  It doesn't kill enemies as fast as the SMG, it has no effective reaction on the zombies besides damaging them, and I don't even seem to get paid when I kill them with it.  The last two times I tried using it, the zombies would get off an attack even when I'm attacking them.  And I have no idea what the range on it is when I use it.

On the other hand, I picked up pretty quickly that the easiest way to kill a crawler is just run past it, as VJ showed, then wack it with a melee weapon.  It goes down in like 3 golf club swings.  And then the game froze.  Sigh.  Oh Xbox 360, I'm glad it takes hundreds of dollars of cutting edge technology to bring back memories of my old NES,.

Posted by eduardo

God, that was painful!

Posted by Mattatoofeld19

Jeff! Way to drop a mad Twin Peaks spoiler bomb after Dave came in.  Glad I finished watching it a week ago.

Posted by PrawnToast

I don't know how they can still play this game, it's just infinitely terrible. Come to think of it, why I am still watching this ER...damn you Giantbomb, damn you! :)

Edited by Max_Hydrogen

"No dude, you don't get it: Places are supposed to closed when you need to go there. You see dude, it's a Catch-22: When you are actually able to go somewhere, and then you get there... It's closed. It's like a metaphor for post-modern dystopia man. Like, when you don't need it, it's available and when you do need it... You can't have it, like yin yang man. Dude, it's like akin to the Japanese concept of 珍道具 man. This is art man! This game is fucking ART man!" 

"You mean by denying the player any sense of enjoyment the game is making a statement? Zach, that's the dumbest cowshit I've ever heard. This game just plain sucks. When players have to talk about Street Fighter IV whilst playing this game then I'm fairly certain it failed. Sure, plenty of people would say that that is art but if the game is not fun to play..."

I love Gertzo-Japanese grammar. The "general" character is just about the most implausible character since Kill Bill's O-Ren Ishii. Why would a retired general run a goddamn scrap yard?! And how could he be promoted to all the way to general during the Vietnam War? Not to mention that if Timothy was a crybaby in the first place, why was he made a Sergeant?  

And don't you threaten me about Emily you unshaven bastard! I'm sick and tired of your pompous, pretentious malarkey with all your damn Yorking... You hear that Francis?! Our relationship can't be secret anymore; I'm fed up with always hiding. I'm not ashamed of what we have...

Jeff liking DJ? This game has gone too far! What next? Will Jeff play Kane and Lynch 1 and like T-hawk? 

MILLIONS OF DEAD COPS!!!!!!

Posted by ThatFrood
" @DavidSnakes: Well, then you're retarded. For more than one reason, considering you can't type either. "
Actually, it's one of my favorite games too, to be honest. Although, to be fair, it's not because of the parts where I'm actually "playing". The gameplay is definitely tedious.
But I really enjoy the characters and the writing, the game has character. This bizarre combination of low-key, offbeat humor with horror. I really enjoy it. I play to hear York and Co. talk more.

But yeah, the shooting is awful, the menus are awful.
Posted by RiotBananas
@fuddles said:
" This ER is longer than Cloverfield "
And has a much better plot and more realistic characters!
Posted by Enns

This is the best game I've ever seen.

Posted by PandaShake
@MindChamber:  This game was constantly demanded to have an er made for and...you know why lol. They're only doing it because we demanded it.
Posted by BRINKTheMovieMyFavoriteMovie
@DavidSnakes: Well, then you're retarded. For more than one reason, considering you can't type either.
Posted by fuddles

This ER is longer than Cloverfield

Posted by DavidSnakes
" @nerdrage32: @Ulong: I just wanted to say I'm really glad that it turns out there ARE some fans of this game who can still admit how deeply flawed it is. I was getting really sick of people saying dumb shit like "This is literally the best game I've played in the past year" and Destructoid giving it a 10 and so on. It's refreshing for a cult-hit game to not have rabid, spergy fanboys, I guess is what I'm saying. "
This is literally the best game I've played in the best year
Posted by Aarny91
@ashogo: Thank you very much :)
Posted by ZagZagovich
@BRINKTheMovieMyFavoriteMovie: 
It is a bit silly to assume that people really think that this game is flawless. I've been sick of people complaining that other people like this game. Do you really think that people had fun fighting those wall ladies or the horrible map that you can't zoom out or any other flat out terrible part of the game? I'm not sure if a person can take things so literally. I guess if you got to know how to appreciate those kinds of things because this by the end of the game it surpasses even the "it's so bad it's good" territory and becomes something of it's own where you don't just laugh at the bad parts but really enjoy them . It probably sounds like complete nonsense but It's hard to express it with words. Kind of like "The Room" but you actually like the guy who made it in the end. Also the game is very low budget. They couldn't even bring the PS3 version to US and there are no news on the PAL version. Sorry for rambling but I thought that by the 25 th episode people would get what's the thing is all about.
Posted by mrfluke

OMG that was a fucking wreak to watch, i really feel bad for the bomb squad having to go through that again twice,  you guys need to look up how to get this infinite magnum and this infinite flamethrower people are talking about 

@nerdrage32: @Ulong: I just wanted to say I'm really glad that it turns out there ARE some fans of this game who can still admit how deeply flawed it is. I was getting really sick of people saying dumb shit like "This is literally the best game I've played in the past year" and Destructoid giving it a 10 and so on. It's refreshing for a cult-hit game to not have rabid, spergy fanboys, I guess is what I'm saying.
Posted by Shinri
@MindChamber said:
"I dont get it, this game looks horrible and the dialogue isnt interesting in the least.  Is this like a running gag on giantbomb, or is this game something they really love? "

It's actually a pretty good game.
Posted by MindChamber

I dont get it, this game looks horrible and the dialogue isnt interesting in the least.  Is this like a running gag on giantbomb, or is this game something they really love?

Posted by Demonhick

Watching them fight the crawlers is painfully boring. Especially since the shotgun takes them down way faster, and the flamethrower takes them down in literally 3 seconds.

Posted by nerdrage32
" Next time anyone tries to claim that this game is actually good, I'm showing them this video. Fuck this game, no joke. "
Is it a good game? Not in a lot of respects. It was an entertaining game though despite all the messy stuff. 

This is a pointless argument to have though because many of us who have played the game had a good time with it, and no video that you can show us is going to change that. Meanwhile most of those who haven't played the game and decided to declare the game crap based off the endurance run aren't going to play the game themselves to find out. Their minds won't change either, and it probably won't help that neither team has gotten to what I thought were the worst parts of the game. 

I will agree though that the endurance run is making this game look bad.  Both teams (one in particular) have made things much more difficult and tedious than they need to be, which hasn't helped. But if I hadn't played this game before watching this stuff, I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to play it either.
Edited by Ulong

You are right about these sections being bad game design either way. Not only is it just waves of enemies, but  also it's either: 
"Unfun because it takes so long" or 
"you allready have an infinite ammo magnum why the hell do you need an infinite shotgun which is a worse gun"

I do want to say that the sidequests aren't obscure in anyway though. There's a list, in game(Right bumper on the map screen), of every sidequest, who you get it from, and in what chapters it's available.
Edit: the only sidequest I'd call obscure is the game doesn't tell you that you need to do Anna's Mom's sidequest before Becky's sidequests. Which confused me a little when I was trying to figure out why Becky wouldn't give me her quests.
Really the ingame sidequest listings is one of the smartest game design descisions I've seen in a game. (which is kind of ironic since it's in the same game that thought Pychic hotspot B was a good idea)
This is one of the first games I've been full clearing, just because they make it so easy and intuitive to do.
Edited by Ulong

Guys barely touch sidequesting and some of the few ones they do are literally the only ones that involve fighting shadows :(
Guys are going to leave with the impression they should avoid sidequests even though the others are cool.

Edited by Ulong

This point in the game they could have a flamethrower that kills wall guys in no time, this point in the game they could also have an infinite ammo magnum that kills them even faster.
By no means am I saying this is a perfect game, but the game is actively made worse by there choice to avoid doing the majority of sidequests. A good example of this is when they had like, 20 free hours to kill before meeting nick's wife behind the diner, and they just smoked through it all.
That was time they could have been getting an infinite ammo magnum and beating those wall climbers in a few seconds.

Edit: Hell, I'm pretty sure if they just used there shotgun (they had enough ammo) to fight the wall climbers instead of using the smg this video would have been a little shorter. It's like watching the Persona 4 endurance run if they tried to play the entire game without ever doing a social link, and without using any persona's outside of the ones they found in the first dungeon.

Edit again: Got to the part where they finally started using the shotgun. yay.