48 Comments
Posted by Tennmuerti

Strange, I had some issues myself at first 1-2 weeks of release but after that it has been pretty much smooth sailing on the PC.

Posted by hicks91

RE: people who get pissed about 3 or 4 bugs in massive games 

get the heck over it 
if the devs were forced to check every little thing, prices would go through the roof 
thats what the beta (and to a lesser extent the demo) was for, and even then a few bugs went unseen 
and there arent that many

Posted by Cincaid

I love to read a fun rant. Thank you, sir.

Posted by Jayross

This is one of the reasons why a lot of developers have shifted their focus towards consoles.  

Simplicity. 

Although DICE has been a PC developer, so there shouldn't be any excuse. Wait for BF3?

Edited by Marz

So what exactly are the errors you are getting?   I play the PC version and haven't had connection issues after the first few weeks where it was horrible.   Did you update punkbuster?

Posted by AhmadMetallic
@jmrwacko:  Sucks that you have to conform and play the shitty MW2 and not BC2 because of your friends :( I know how much u love it.  IS DAT WOMAN FO REALZ ?
Edited by jmrwacko
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" A Fucking Nightmare. I Am Scarred for fucking LIFE. "

No, metallic. This woman is scarred for life. You are just raging.

Yeah I have problems still with BC2. The game runs like crap (slows to < 30 fps with lots of smoke effects), you have to take fraps video in like 480p to still have a decent framerate, and there's no way for me to tell a server's ping until I'm ingame. Also, nobody plays the damn thing. Which is why I had to go buy MW2 to get my FPS fix, because none of my friends have a powerful enough rig to play this unoptimized beast of a game.

But hell, I got 60 hours enjoyment out of it. A lot more than I'll get out of MW2.
Posted by big_jon

BC 2 is awsome
Posted by emkeighcameron
@Necrotoxin said:
" I Don't have any problems with BC2. I think its one of the better console to PC ports.  "
Posted by theMuse

When the game was first released I could understand someone complaining about all the problems, but at its current state the game runs extremely well. Pretty well balanced, great server browser, and very very few crashes or disconnects. Dunno why you'd be having a ton of problems dude ;/

Maybe I'm just lucky? This is the first kind of post like this about BC2 that I've seen in a while though.

Posted by Seppli
@Mr_Skeleton said:
"

@Ahmad_Metallic: Dude its only a game, dont like it or if it makes you way too angry than you should be just dont play it. No game is worth getting so upset about it defeats the whole idea of a game (having fun in case you forgotten) do you really need to go online for someone to tell you that?

"
If a game can't upset you, you just don't care enough. A game you play with passion will upset you from time to time. If you say it's wrong to be passionate about a game, you aren't my people.
Posted by Seppli

Not to be an asshole. But that's why I love console gaming. No hazzle. Console versions got their issues too, but nowhere near as bad as some PC dudes have got it.

But yeah - sometimes the technical flaws (system crash/freeze/stats loss/disconnect/glitches) can get me angry too. As can bad teammates or boring enemies on the attacking team (aka overabundance of camping snipers not physically attacking the objectives) and whatever else. 

I think it's a good sign though. It shows that I care. Overall, as a big Battlefield fan, I do love BF:BC 2 despite all its flaws. The highs outweigh the downs and the anger and frustration tenfold. Even if the game sometimes makes me mad.

Edited by Mr_Skeleton

@Ahmad_Metallic: Dude its only a game, dont like it or if it makes you way too angry than you should be just dont play it. No game is worth getting so upset about it defeats the whole idea of a game (having fun in case you forgotten) do you really need to go online for someone to tell you that?

Posted by Creamypies
@Dedodido said:
" which is why I end up pirating all the games which developers are too half arsed to finish.  "
You are a bad person.
Edited by Donos

Reading over this, I get the feeling we're talking about different types of piracy, and I think it's a distinction that should be made. My issue is with people who pirate brand new, readily available games, ala Crysis a little while back. In these cases, the only thing stopping people from buying the games is their own greed. As for people not being able to afford said games, I would say that if they really want the game, they absolutely can find a way to pay for it. Sell your old games, get a part time job, beg or borrow from friends, or just save up for a bit. Anyone who managed to pay for their game system is certainly capable of paying for a game. Further, with these games I'd say the "free advertising" boost is negligible, since the marketing/hype stream is already filled by paid adverts and coverage from sites like this one. WIthout any marketing effect, the only thing pirates spread is the ability for more people to pirate. The only effect the ability to pirate has on early customers is preventing some (or many) from buying the game.

On the other hand Dedodido, you seem to be talking about a different kind of piracy, which I'll say I have more sympathy for. You seem to be talking about older/rarer games, which are either unavailable or overpriced considering their age. I cannot argue against downloading games that are otherwise unavailable, since there really is no sale lost. Further, I agree that grassroots marketing is vital for these games, since theres often no other marketing to be seen. Ironically, it's this less damaging form of piracy that has the better solution, in the form of Steam. It makes tons of old games easily available, forever, at a low price befitting the games age.

Edit: Wow, this is kinda off topic now.... sorry guys.

Back on topic: Me and my roomate have both played BC2 on PCs and never had any issues with it. I was running maxed setting on my desktop, he was running low settings on his laptop. The fact that he was able to run it on a pretty standard laptop without any particular issues suggests to me that performance doesn't cause problems, but something setup-specific.

Posted by Necrotoxin

I Don't have any problems with BC2. I think its one of the better console to PC ports. It is a great game, but i hope BF3 will be made for the PC 1st.

Edited by Geno
@Ahmad_Metallic: What exactly are the problems/errors? Also take note that 2007 specs may not be sufficient for this game to run fluidly, as BFBC2 has proven to be a demanding game even for the absolute newest hardware. 
Posted by AhmadMetallic
@Geno said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Geno: i play BF2, TF2, Cod5 and MW2 online and they work just fine. "

Yes, and BFBC2 is much more demanding than any of those. Again, do you have the correct drivers and sufficient hardware?  "
Yes, and Yes. The latest drivers, very good 2007 specs that can run the latest games on medium-high, and as i said a good internet connection
Edited by Geno
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @Geno: i play BF2, TF2, Cod5 and MW2 online and they work just fine. "

Yes, and BFBC2 is much more demanding than any of those. Again, do you have the correct drivers and sufficient hardware? 
Posted by AhmadMetallic
@Geno: i play BF2, TF2, Cod5 and MW2 online and they work just fine.
Edited by Geno

Have you for one second considered that the problem may be at your end? The vast majority of players don't have any problems at all, and from personal experience I can tell you that those who typically do have problems usually have something grossly incompatible (very old drivers, weak hardware, slow internet etc). 

Posted by luce

Hey buddy, do you need a hug?

Posted by super_machine

The game works 99% of the time on my PS3. Once in a while it crashes for no reason, but never had a connection issue.

Edited by JokerSmilez
@Dedodido:
Where I think your idea falls apart is you seem to think if people could easily download and play the game, that's "free marketing". For that to be true, it would mean that a significant amount of those illegal downloads would turn into legitimate purchases in some form or another (either they buy the game themselves or they convince someone else to).

However, if they really did open the doors to piracy because of this so-called "free marketing", there would be there is LESS reason to buy the game once you download it and LESS reason to convince others to buy it (you'd just tell them how to pirate it instead). 

Also, about your Radiohead example. One third of the people who downloaded it, paid nothing. The average cost of what people paid was 
£4. They also made more money on the retail release then they did on the website release where they let people "pay what they want". We're also talking about one of the biggest bands in the world here. Radiohead can get away with something like that. Most bands can't.

If you're trying to argue that game companies would make more money if they let people pirate as much as they want and relied on the generosity of consumers to buy a $50 game when they already own it, I think there's a disconnect with reality here.

And like I said before, the music and movies to video games comparison doesn't hold up. Pirating one of those mediums and then purchasing is much more believable because a) those mediums cost a fraction of what a video games costs and b) there's more intensive to want to own a hard copy of those mediums because there is a much higher reasonable expectation that you'll want to return to them years down the road (case in point: how many 10 year old video games do you still play vs. how many 10 year old albums you still listen to or 10 year old movies you still watch?)
Posted by Dedodido
@JokerSmilez and @Donos: 

First of all, yeah you're right, it's the publishers not the developers that whack the DRM on, my bad.
But anyway, the problem is that people view piracy as a problem, and then put the DRM on as a "solution". All the DRM does is make the piracy worse, and make it much less likely people will buy the game. Donos, the problem with your first paragraph is that you're at university. Students have no money, so they can't afford games. Therefore they download games, if they couldn't download them at all, they still wouldn't be able to buy them, and so they just don't get to experience the game. Yeah, this is fair, you shoudn't get things if you don't pay for them, but in terms of pure business sense, it just does a shit load of free advertising for the publishers if people play the game when they otherwise wouldn't. This doesn't just apply to students, most pirates download games that they would never ever buy in the first place, so there are no lost sales to the developers/publishers, only free marketing and advertising. Even bill gates once said something along the lines of "If they're going to download something, we want them downloading ours." I doubt I'll be explaining this very well, this article does it better:  http://kotaku.com/5533615/another-view-of-video-game-piracy.

Case in point, Radioheads album, "In Rainbows". (I know it's music, not games, but the example stands). They made their album available for free online, with customers able to pay whatever they wanted for the album, even £0. Not surprisingly, alot of people did that. However, they also made a hell of a lot of money off it, just from the publicism alone. It was probably one of the lowest cost launches ever made, and gave them a massive profit margin from the people who payed for it.

In any case, the vast majority of DRM is cracked days after (and sometimes before) the official release. If people can just download and play games even when the publishers have invested millions in DRM, is it really worth it? With the money saved from not including DRM, they could put down the price of games, and probably get more sales, with the same profit margin.

Correct, most pirates don't have what's best for the industry at heart, but they don't need to, all they need to do is keep downloading these games that they would never otherwise play, and then talk about whether it's a good game or not. In the end, it'll only make the publishers more money.

Btw, the hardware I'm currently using:
Radeon HD4330 graphics card
AMD Phenom  X3 8750 @ 2.8GHz
Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM

If you shop around you can generally get mid range hardware pretty cheaply, you just need to know where you look.
Posted by JokerSmilez
@Dedodido said:
" If people built their own PCs like I do, then consoles aren't that cheap. I have a system capable of playing any game on the market, and it cost a total of £200 ($298). You get cheaper hardware over there too, so it'd be even cheaper. "
Really? That sounds really hard to believe. I'm curious about what hardware you have if that's all it cost you.
Edited by Donos
@Dedodido said:

"I disagree, piracy is one of the only things supporting the industry, not killing it. DRM is the real cancer of the PC gaming industry, it means people who might pirate a game and then buy it at a later date never will because of heavy handed DRM. Piracy is one of the best forms of marketing, since people are more likely to play a game if they can get it for free, then they tell their friends about it, and their friends might even buy it. Research into the area has shown that people who pirate games/music/films are actually some of the biggest consumers in those areas; music pirates go to more festivals and buy more merchandise, game pirates are more likely to support developers who do things properly, and film pirates are more likely to go to the cinema. Yeah, there are loads of people out there who just download stuff and then don't contribute anything to the industry, and it's only these people that the media concentrate on, hence pirates get a bad press.  The more time goes on, the more convinced I become that DRM is just the developers way of killing the PC market once and for all. "

As a fairly new PC gamer I'm going to have to say.... no. No, no, no. First, when someone pirates a game and likes it, they ususally do not buy a legit copy. That generally only happens when the pirated version is missing features; in other words, when there is DRM in place. Further, they do not tell their friends to buy legit copies, they help them pirate it. I'm saying this from experience with my university, where pirating networks are readily available and are used, from what I can tell, whenever possible.

Secondly, I agree that pirates will also be the largest legit consumers of their chosen media, as pretty much everyone has at some point pirated something. However, I think you have to relationship wrong. Pirating media does not make you want to buy more of that media. If it has any impact at all, it makes you want to consume more of that media. And how will you get that media? Probably the same way you did before, through piracy, for the same reasons as you did the first time. In the end, any media you pirate is still lost sales, and you cannot deny that hurts the industry.

Finally, you say yourself that there are loads of people who just pirate and do not contribute anything to the industry, and they give pirates a bad name. Guess what, they are the majority, and they earned that bad name. I'm not going to say anything about your own morality or pirating habits, but pirates as a whole are not some grassroots movement, and the average pirate doesn't have the industry's interests in mind. They're just individulal, impatient people stealing whatever they can when they get the chance. By the way, you're aware DRM is only used because of piracy right? Your issues with it would disappear if people would stop pirating.
Posted by Jadeskye
@Ahmad_Metallic: chill out man. The game clearly recieved a ton of attention from hundreds of dudes over months and months. The devs don't decide when the game launches. Maybe they wanted to put in extra time to iron out the bugs but couldn't because the crunch was upon them. 

Another thing to note, being a battlefield fan myself of many years and games now, is when the games originally launch they're usually quite buggy but recieve a great deal of attention afterwards. You've already seen a balancing patch and incoming map packs. This will continue.
Posted by JokerSmilez
@Dedodido said:
" @JokerSmilez said:

" @Dedodido said:

" First of all...welcome to the world of lazy console game development. I hear you, as a PC gamer I've been constantly let down by lazy PC ports with a million and a half bugs which almost ruin the game, which is why I end up pirating all the games which developers are too half arsed to finish. But, that said...it's only a game, maybe you should calm down a tad? "
PC games have always required more work from the player than console games. This sounds like a different issue, but still. The reason why I quit gaming on the PC 10 years ago is because I was sick of having to jump through hoops to get games to work (port forwarding, fiddling with sound card and video card settings, etc).  It used to be that the payoff was better graphics and games that simply did not exist on consoles (adventure games, shooters, RTS). Nowadays, the graphics are hardly any better on the PC, so it's just a matter of if you like gaming with a mouse and keyboard and if you're big into a mod community.  It's hard to blame a developer for making a game for the platform they know is going to sell the most copies and then porting to the PC. I certainly won't go so far as to say the PC is a dead platform, just a platform that's going through a serious transition. If anything kills the platform, it'll be piracy which is (mostly) the gamers fault, not the developers. "
I disagree, piracy is one of the only things supporting the industry, not killing it. DRM is the real cancer of the PC gaming industry, it means people who might pirate a game and then buy it at a later date never will because of heavy handed DRM. Piracy is one of the best forms of marketing, since people are more likely to play a game if they can get it for free, then they tell their friends about it, and their friends might even buy it. Research into the area has shown that people who pirate games/music/films are actually some of the biggest consumers in those areas; music pirates go to more festivals and buy more merchandise, game pirates are more likely to support developers who do things properly, and film pirates are more likely to go to the cinema. Yeah, there are loads of people out there who just download stuff and then don't contribute anything to the industry, and it's only these people that the media concentrate on, hence pirates get a bad press.  The more time goes on, the more convinced I become that DRM is just the developers way of killing the PC market once and for all. "
If you can easily pirate a game for free, very few people are then going to turn around and drop $50 on it - why would they, if they already have it for free? If you can easily get a game for free wouldn't you also tell your friends to pirate it instead of buying it? Even if a few people do, that's still significantly less people who would buy the game legally if that were the only option. 

If what you say was true, there would never be DRM in the first place because years ago you could easily pirate a game and if piracy was helping the industry why would companies mess with that? They introduced DRM because they were sick of 10 people playing through Fallout 2 by passing around 1 install disk and installing to their hard drive or making copies of Brood War CDs (I remember doing both of those things). Piracy is killing the industry, no matter how you try and justify it to yourself.

The movie industry and music industry is very different because you can download a movie or album and then buy it for about $10 - not $50. Plus, both music and movies are the type of media you'd have more desire to own because you're more likely to want to watch that movie many times over several years or listen to that album again and again. For the most part with a game, once you've played through it or played the multiplayer for a couple months, you're done with it. And even still, both the music and movie industries have suffered losses of up to 40% across their entire industries.

Also, it's not developers who implement DRM, it's the publishers. What possible reason would game companies have to sabotage their own industry by "killing the PC market"?

You're argument is essentially "if it were easier to steal games, more people would buy them but game companies don't want people to buy their products so their intentionally sabotaging them."
Posted by Dedodido

If people built their own PCs like I do, then consoles aren't that cheap. I have a system capable of playing any game on the market, and it cost a total of £200 ($298). You get cheaper hardware over there too, so it'd be even cheaper.

Posted by Jimbo

The game itself is good.  The random disconnects do get tiring after a while.

I'm still not entirely convinced that piracy is primarily responsible for 'killing' PC gaming tbh, no matter how much the console media shouts about it.  I think the existence of a cheap, viable alternative caused the meaningful damage.  Back in 'the day', if you wanted to play any of today's most popular genres you needed a PC - now you can get almost the same experience on something costing far less.  It's no coincidence that the good quality PC games that still have no console alternative are the ones that continue to sell.  If they ever somehow manage to make WoW, Total War, The Sims etc. work really well on a console, I've no doubt that they'll start to fail on PC too.  Consoles 'win' because they're cheap.

Edited by Dedodido
@JokerSmilez said:

" @Dedodido said:

" First of all...welcome to the world of lazy console game development. I hear you, as a PC gamer I've been constantly let down by lazy PC ports with a million and a half bugs which almost ruin the game, which is why I end up pirating all the games which developers are too half arsed to finish. But, that said...it's only a game, maybe you should calm down a tad? "
PC games have always required more work from the player than console games. This sounds like a different issue, but still. The reason why I quit gaming on the PC 10 years ago is because I was sick of having to jump through hoops to get games to work (port forwarding, fiddling with sound card and video card settings, etc).  It used to be that the payoff was better graphics and games that simply did not exist on consoles (adventure games, shooters, RTS). Nowadays, the graphics are hardly any better on the PC, so it's just a matter of if you like gaming with a mouse and keyboard and if you're big into a mod community.  It's hard to blame a developer for making a game for the platform they know is going to sell the most copies and then porting to the PC. I certainly won't go so far as to say the PC is a dead platform, just a platform that's going through a serious transition. If anything kills the platform, it'll be piracy which is (mostly) the gamers fault, not the developers. "
I disagree, piracy is one of the only things supporting the industry, not killing it. DRM is the real cancer of the PC gaming industry, it means people who might pirate a game and then buy it at a later date never will because of heavy handed DRM. Piracy is one of the best forms of marketing, since people are more likely to play a game if they can get it for free, then they tell their friends about it, and their friends might even buy it. Research into the area has shown that people who pirate games/music/films are actually some of the biggest consumers in those areas; music pirates go to more festivals and buy more merchandise, game pirates are more likely to support developers who do things properly, and film pirates are more likely to go to the cinema. Yeah, there are loads of people out there who just download stuff and then don't contribute anything to the industry, and it's only these people that the media concentrate on, hence pirates get a bad press.

The more time goes on, the more convinced I become that DRM is just the developers way of killing the PC market once and for all.
Posted by JokerSmilez
@Dedodido said:
PC games have always required more work from the player than console games. This sounds like a different issue, but still. The reason why I quit gaming on the PC 10 years ago is because I was sick of having to jump through hoops to get games to work (port forwarding, fiddling with sound card and video card settings, etc).

It used to be that the payoff was better graphics and games that simply did not exist on consoles (adventure games, shooters, RTS). Nowadays, the graphics are hardly any better on the PC, so it's just a matter of if you like gaming with a mouse and keyboard and if you're big into a mod community.

It's hard to blame a developer for making a game for the platform they know is going to sell the most copies and then porting to the PC. I certainly won't go so far as to say the PC is a dead platform, just a platform that's going through a serious transition. If anything kills the platform, it'll be piracy which is (mostly) the gamers fault, not the developers.
Posted by SPACETURTLE

I had issues with the connection myself for a while back. Kept disconnection every 15 minutes, gah, I went completely emo sometimes when that happened. But it MAGICALLY worked itself out, which I find extremely weird. I haven't played BC2 for about a month bow, but I'm willing to bet that when I try to launch the game again, even that wont work... I love the gameplay, I love the action, but I fucking hate the f'ing disconnects... 

Posted by Pie
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Pie said:
" Also do you like the actual game? "
too much "
I like shooting dudes as well.
Posted by AhmadMetallic
@Pie said:
" Also do you like the actual game? "
too much
Posted by Pie

And thats one of the reasons I use consoles...... 
Also do you like the actual game?

Posted by Berezov

That was a pretty fun read, I was like that with Dead or Alive 4... oh don't get me started on Dead or Alive 4, the lag, the Hayabusa spammers, oh my god it was one bit shit fest after another!

Posted by SeriouslyNow

Bugs?  I had some server disconnects back in the early release weeks due to server updates and certain patches being incompatible.  I've had to deal with an awful server browser which has now been fixed and is utterly awesome.  I've never had to deal with one bug at all though.

Posted by OverLord00

I feel bad for you, I haven't had any big problems besides what they worked out after the first few weeks.  I've been playing with friends, lanning tons and enjoying the hell out of it.   Sad to see ya go, but there are always other games to be played if your not happy with one.

Posted by Dedodido

By the way, maybe you should go back to battlefield 2/2142 if you have such a large problem wityh BC2, they're much better games after all...

Posted by AlwaysAngry
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" I've wanted to kill devs multiple times. No big deal on that.    Oh, and you're insulting BFBC2 on Giantbomb, that can't be good. Giant Bomb is full of Battlefield fanboys. "
Um, hello? I'm one of those fanboys ? "
Nope nope. You see problems with the game. A real fanboy will ignore problems and go into a constant denial. They'll blame other things and games for the mistakes. 

You're a fan of Battlefield, not a fanboy. That's a good thing.
Posted by AhmadMetallic
@AlwaysAngry said:
" I've wanted to kill devs multiple times. No big deal on that.    Oh, and you're insulting BFBC2 on Giantbomb, that can't be good. Giant Bomb is full of Battlefield fanboys. "
Um, hello? I'm one of those fanboys ?
Edited by AlwaysAngry

I've wanted to kill devs multiple times. No big deal on that. 

Oh, and you're insulting BFBC2 on Giantbomb, that can't be good. Giant Bomb is full of Battlefield fanboys. 

And never calm down!!! Live with the anger, PLOT REVENGE!!!

Posted by Dedodido

First of all...welcome to the world of lazy console game development. I hear you, as a PC gamer I've been constantly let down by lazy PC ports with a million and a half bugs which almost ruin the game, which is why I end up pirating all the games which developers are too half arsed to finish.
But, that said...it's only a game, maybe you should calm down a tad?

Posted by Meltac

Yeah... calm down next time, before you start slamming your fingers against the keyboard.

Posted by AhmadMetallic

I would never kill a living thing, but in this case, i'll make a serious exception.  
I want to find and kill the person(s) who designed this game. The people responsible. 

I have been a SUCKER for Battlefield games for years. It's military depth and variation simply dazzled me and turned me into a hardcore fan. I've waited for this game with HYPE in my blood, but then.......... 

All the fucking.... PROBLEMS ! ALL THE BUGS! ALL THE FLAWS ! ALL THE ERROR MESSAGES !!!!!!!!!!! 
Like everybody else, my love and excitement for the action kept me patient, and i looked for fixes like the rest of you, i did this, and did that, and checked the EA forums here, and the BC2 forums there, something a player who paid the full price should NEVER GO THROUGH !! ITS A FUCKING CRIME !! 

After fixing the initial.... issues like everyone else, and playing for a whole month, shit started to surface again.  
I tried running the game as administrator, i opened the game port on my router, i let the game through my Windows Firewall and ESET Firewall, i let the game update and patch and... update and.. patch. 

There are still fucking connection issues, and the worst part is, the game is not responsive or informative enough. I feel like the error messages are blank and transparent and dont mean shit.. You just gotta figure shit out FOR YOUR SELF.  it's like the fucking game doesnt wanna be played. It just pushes me away with its clumsy meaningless errors !!!

I am done. I want to find the fuckers who made the game and rape their empty eye sockets for making me passionately hate the sight and sound of this fucking game. The one i probably anticipated most this year. IT'S A PIECE OF SHIT IN MY EYES NOW! A REMINDER OF THE LONG NIGHTS I SPENT SEARCHING SHIT AROUND AND HAVING THAT FUCKED UP GAME SMACK ME ON THE HEAD ONE TIME AFTER ANOTHER. 
A Fucking Nightmare. I Am Scarred for fucking LIFE.

P.S. try to look beyond the fact that im bitching about issues, and see the fact that THERE ARE MANY ISSUES that shouldnt be there. and that for a top-notch video game, shit should be more responsive and helpul..