68 Comments
  • 68 results
Posted by BenL

So excited to see the love for River Raid. Easily my favorite 2600 game and up there with my favorite games of all time.

Posted by jkz

"If you've been buying them all along, this is gonna be the week where you're like "What am I doing?; this was definitely the week I went "What am I doing"?

If only you'd known, Jeff. If only you'd known...

Posted by MooseyMcMan

@gladspooky said:

"Buckner & Garcia wrote a song about Centipede. So it is, like Mouse Trap, one of the most important arcade games ever released."

Imagine what they would be saying had they done this Quick Look now.

Posted by prestonhedges

"Buckner & Garcia wrote a song about Centipede. So it is, like Mouse Trap, one of the most important arcade games ever released."

Posted by supercubedude

"I'm happy to be here, Jeff."

Posted by Keeper_Garrett

I bought River Raid 2 and really liked it back in 1988... I don't know why everyone hates on it lol.

Posted by WickedCobra03
@hoyle1911 said:
" I love Quick Looks.  It lets me see a game without even bothering to download the demo.  Most of these old games don't hold up, even for nostalgia value.  "
Yeah, same here.  I mean I never got into the big arcades and such as kids.  I mean I got your popular games such as crystal castles, pac man, missile command, space invaders, ect.  I would be much for inclined to buy these games if they were like a dollar a piece (and 1.50 for pc/360 versions) rather than 3 dollars (and 5 for pc/360 versions).
Posted by Kraznor

Oh crap, I totally played River Raid when I was a kid. May well get this. And Buzz Bombers seemed vaguely familiar as well.

Posted by BionicSheep

i love how these game room quick looks are essentially "ryan and jeff's nostalgia power hour"

Posted by squidracerX
@Protome: hahah well you are the minority on Strategy X....  I mean Jeff is nuts about that retro stuff and he didn't like it either :) But yeah, even if 1,000 people bought it and liked it, there are 100's of games that would have sold 10 times as much and made more people happy. its like PSN and the PSOne games Sony release; one or two have been the ones we want, then they release chess master and Gex??? They haven't put out valkyrie profiler yet though which sells for a ton on ebay, why not!? 

All i can think is they know if they load a week with good stuff (game room or PSN or whatever), you might not buy them all, so they release 1 or 2 they KNOW will sell and fill the rest with ones only hardcore fans would have bought anyway so they are not competing with each other.... That's my business model guess for these guys.
Posted by Roddykat

No Slot Racers? Arcade Missile Command(even if it is on XBLA already) ? Airlock? Decathalon? Omega Race? Booooo!

Posted by copycatzen

For as long as it makes sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by marrec
@NubMonk said:
" A MEN CHOOSES.... "
A Slave Obeys?
Posted by neon321

Great for a quicklook, but these games once again prove gaming didn't start until the NES generation.

Posted by Fripplebubby

Aren't centipedes bigger than millipedes? 

Posted by GoldenExplosion

Hahaha, "Choose Men! Well...if you say so."

Posted by GaZZuM

My favourite bit of these is the "Top level play" bits. I woulda loved to have seen some top level Strategy X play, I bet that gets CRAZY

Posted by hoyle1911

I love Quick Looks.  It lets me see a game without even bothering to download the demo.  Most of these old games don't hold up, even for nostalgia value. 

Posted by DarkbeatDK

I keep saying it, but if they wanna make gameroom hot they gotta move into the late 80's / early 90's. There are SO many fantastic games around that period.

Posted by Milkman
@zombie2011 said:
" Is Jeff still paying for these or is he getting codes from MS? "
He's paying for them.
Posted by Tryptophan

MIssion X for the Intellivision was cool too.

Posted by makari

Fuck yeah River Raid!

Posted by Cowman
@lilman1101 said:
" If Game Room was full of NES or Genesis games it would own. "
Game Room does feature what appears to be a six button Genesis (Mega Drive in Europe) controller. I guess Krome is trying to recreate the "Golden Age" (years before the crash of 83) arcade experience by releasing titles somewhat chronologically. I hope Sega comes on board soon with their arcade and console games.
Posted by Blair

Ryan's beef with spiders:  squashed.

Posted by Atomasist

I enjoy me some Millipede. 

Posted by NubMonk

A MEN CHOOSES....

Posted by crushverb

Sounded like you guys were gonna throw down over the whole Centipede/Millipede thing. Glad River Raid could bring you back together.

Posted by MyNiceIceLife

Ugh, I remember playing Haunted House when I was real young and for some reason it freaked me out.  Even now, it gives me chills.

Posted by lilman1101

If Game Room was full of NES or Genesis games it would own.

Posted by MormonWarrior

Ugh...I'm so glad I start my gaming with 1985. There's a reason gaming died before Nintendo really entered the scene with the NES.

Posted by LordCrom

I LOVE ME SOME GAME ROOM!
Posted by zombie2011

Is Jeff still paying for these or is he getting codes from MS?

Posted by Brunchies

Strategy X is strangely named and River Raid seems like the most worthwhile game out of this week.

Edited by Jasonofindy

It would be great to see some of the Bally-Midway/Williams stuff, but I don't even know who owns the rights to their games now that the current Midway disintegrated.  (Plus some of their hits were games licensed from Taito and Namco).

Posted by Protome
@squidracerX said:
" game room is weird... some stuff seems neat, but why even release strategy X? no one wants it... and 2 centipedes, millipede, buzz bomber... yeah try for more variety i would think, like last week they did asteroids AND space duel, why would you want both in one week!? "
I liked Strategy X :(
Posted by Brackynews
GO AHEAD !!
Posted by ThievingJacob

What companies do you think they should go after next?  
 Taito seems like a good idea, which would be Square-Enix these days.

Posted by NickNorman

Dude, River Raid! The first game I think I'll buy.

Posted by squidracerX

game room is weird... some stuff seems neat, but why even release strategy X? no one wants it... and 2 centipedes, millipede, buzz bomber... yeah try for more variety i would think, like last week they did asteroids AND space duel, why would you want both in one week!?

Posted by CashBailey

Man, I loved RIVER RAID.

I remember having the cartridge on my Commodore 64.

Edited by MeatSim

I do remember playing Haunted House somewhere and not getting it. When the eyes light up though it looks like Meatwad.

Posted by TehJedicake

oh yeahhh I remember Haunted House, the game with Meatloaf

Posted by skrutop

That was like the best River Raid montage ever.

Posted by DukeTogo

Wow, I remember Strategy X being better, must be at the time it felt cooler.

Some quality 2600 stuff this week though.

Edited by Valestis
@Metal_Mills said:

" @camozombie said:

" i love game room QLs! "
Yeah me too. It's really useful in seeing what's worth buying(so far...not much). "
I agree. I hope they keep making these. =)
Posted by Deusoma

I think it's pretty lame that they didn't just get a second controller so they could show off the multiplayer-only game. Even if it is a crap game, it's disappointing to see them arbitrarily skip a title.

Posted by Phished0ne
Posted by 234r2we232

CHOOSE MEN

Posted by Ronald

I'm ready for some high level River Raiding.

• 68 results