19 Comments
Posted by DryvBy
@jams: 
Ha! Yeah, I bought so many cheap games on floppies when I was a kid. "Shareware".  I was introduced to "Blood", "Cannon Fodder", and "Jazz Jackrabbit" back in the day through those.
Posted by SpiralStairs

I used to play Fast food tycoon all the time. It was the most fucking stupid game I ever played, but I still loved it. Maybe it was stupid because I didn't get it back then.

Posted by AhmadMetallic

Postal 2 is one of my favorite games ever

Posted by zyn

Ah yes, Theme Hospital.  It was pretty fun.

Posted by MaFoLu

I remember my sister playing Theme Hospital a lot ,like really a lot, when I was younger and it looked pretty fun. 
Never played it myself though.

Edited by Jams

aw man I used to play Theme Park as a kid. On PC (DOS) and on PSX. I still have the PC disc, but I can't seem to get good at it now. I also had phantom menace for the PC. I used to play Wal-Mart FLW 2000 (or whatever it was call) fishing game a ton. I used to love getting those cheap shareware type games at wal-mart too when I was a kid. It was the only store we had close that sold PC games.

Posted by ZeForgotten
@Bucketdeth said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" Theme Hospital is awesome, I used to rent it a lot as a kid and loved it, thanks for the link! "
Me too. Weird. "
For PS1? "
No, I had the PC version if I remember right. "
Ahh, I rented the PS1 version a lot, but we can say we both played the PC version as kids : D "
I have the free version on my PC and I even bought it for the PSP/PS3 so I can enjoy it while I'm taking the bus somewhere far away or the train. 
I freaking love Theme Hospital and Theme Park. I'm still playing the newer Theme Park games even. 
Posted by Cwaff

I loved Theme Hospital as a kid, nothing better than bursting people with giant heads and pumping them back up again!

Posted by Rehehelly

Theme Hospital is one of the best games ever made in my opinion. I used to play that ALL the time, I still do.  Never knew it came out on PSX though :S Would be weird to play it without a mouse imo, especially the rat level haha.

I also used to love the phantom menace when I was a kid :P

Posted by NekuSakuraba

Yeah, I agree with all the games you said. ^__^

Posted by Bucketdeth
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" Theme Hospital is awesome, I used to rent it a lot as a kid and loved it, thanks for the link! "
Me too. Weird. "
For PS1? "
No, I had the PC version if I remember right. "
Ahh, I rented the PS1 version a lot, but we can say we both played the PC version as kids : D
Posted by JJWeatherman
@Bucketdeth said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
Me too. Weird. "
For PS1? "
No, I had the PC version if I remember right.
Posted by Bucketdeth
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
Me too. Weird. "
For PS1?
Posted by JJWeatherman
@Bucketdeth said:
Me too. Weird.
Posted by carlthenimrod

I can't believe Gamespot gave Theme Hospital a 5.5. I want to go back in time and complain. I love that game.

Posted by RedEyesBlueBunny

i VERY VAGUELY remember Theme Hospital, but i just know that it is amazing, so thank you for sharing that here

Posted by ZanzibarBreeze
Posted by Bucketdeth

Theme Hospital is awesome, I used to rent it a lot as a kid and loved it, thanks for the link!

Posted by DryvBy

Everyone has played them. They're the closet games. The games you really don't talk about too much in public, in fear of being considered an outcast in the mainstream gaming world. Why would anyone dare mention these games? Because it's time for our personal cult classics to be unleashed in all of it's glory!

I'm a fan of bad movies. I'm also a fan of games that had potential but didn't really get past the cutting floor. But the games usually suffer from undersales, a few bad bugs, or better yet, just 'meh' graphics and sounds. Sometimes, that's the beauty of these things! For your reading pleasure, enjoy the few select titles I find to be excellent B-quality games that should get a fair trial.

It's a mix of 'The Sims', arena-shooters, and a sandbox game. You progress through the game as a guy who goes by Dude, and you have to complete "quest" given to you by your wife. Missions include getting your pay check, buying some milk at the store, stopping protesters... you know, casual things you do. However, the way the game plays out, you can ride through the game and not kill a single person. Or you can go insane, and have at it. Overall, you're mission is to complete these jobs and report back to your base: a dirty trailer with an overweight wife as the commander.

Why the love?
Flat out, it's one of the rudest games ever created. The first time you use a silencer to silence your rifle in Postal 2, you'll know what I'm talking about. The amount of killing you do really desensitizes you to anything you could possibly see in future video games. I really enjoy fake, over the top bloody games. This game features a lot of that. So thumbs up.

What's wrong with it?
It's buggy in some areas, but it doesn't crash. The graphics are a little dated. I think some people would consider the amount of gore in it to be a bit excessive. The story is a little forced in there. If you're playing a good guy, the game almost forces you to go postal. And when it first came out, the load times. They sucked. Last, no multiplayer. At least until recently. (Share the Pain is free. Google it.)

It's a game based on a movie that isn't very good. But I've actually beaten this game a few times and loved it. Not because it's a great game, or a timeless classic Star Wars title. It's because it made the movie seem a lot more enjoyable for some odd reason. If you haven't played it, you probably should go through it once. It's a satisfying B-grade Star Wars title.

Why the love?
It could be killing Jar Jar Binks when it was cool to kill Jar Jar Binks. But I think the golden center of this so-so game was that it was just like you were playing the movie. Not a good movie, but the movie. The graphics weren't the best, but I thought it was fun to slice at the wall and watch it glow from the saber's damage to it. We've come a long way...

What's wrong with it?
I played this on PC. There wasn't any bugs. I think people just hated Episode One so much, that they couldn't sit down and really enjoy it. From the reviews, it seems that the biggest fault is the game never makes you feel like a Jedi. Hmmm. Maybe? But I have a light saber and force push. Truly the only two moves I care about. Didn't LucasArts make a game dedicated to pretty much just that later?

It's like Theme Park, only way more fun! You run your own hospital, manage employees, and find diseases for patience. It's stressful, but super addictive and fun. Oh, and it's FREE NOW.

Why the love?
The graphics are fun to watch and the amount of comedy in the game is well-served. Aside from humor and such, the gameplay is easy yet advanced. I play this yearly, and I always discover something new I can do, or new ways to play. It's a good game for the notebook.

What's wrong with it?
Nothing, really. GameSpot says it's "frustrating". I call that realism. Dealing with customers all day, I can only imagine that running a hospital is a cause for baldness. It's a difficult game and you feel the clock is punishing you, but that's about it.

Well, that's three games I know you're rushing out to get right now. What's some games you enjoy that the masses consider garbage?