875 Comments
Posted by Red12b
@BeachThunder said:
" A few ideas for paid features:

• limitless flags
  • no mod consent on wiki edits even if you're <1000 points
  • a 10% or so increase in XP
"
I am sure there are some trolls who would pay to fuck up this site. 
Posted by Meteora

Content wise its a little lacking, but I need to know more about the pricing before I decide if I want to pay for this (if I can, at any rate).

Posted by bjorno

anime chick calender shirt

Posted by WoodenPlatypus

Like most people have said just support Paypal. I have a debit card but no credit card and blagh. 
Support Paypal and you yourself will be a better person. 
...Or we could all die. Killer stuff.

Posted by KuribosShoe

as for suggestions I wouldn't mind an ignore button.  it would help me be less angry at fools.

Posted by Llama

thats it? well... hmm...

Posted by InfamousBIG

At first I was nervous, but now I'm like :D.

Posted by iAmJohn

I'm always wary of any pay-for-use model on a site, but this actually sounds like some worthwhile features, the mobile site especially if we can get full profile and forum access on it (dare I ask for wiki editing?).

Posted by NathHaw

I suppose it depends on the end-cost, but I imagine that I'm all in.  Thank you by the way for doing this.  It's not as though I spend enough money month to month on other stuff, but I'm willing to do it for Whiskey Media (specifically GB).

Posted by goodlucktj

paypal? a must, imo.

Posted by KuribosShoe

and also I want a cool badge under my name

or like, a golden name color

be jealous

Posted by Supermarius
@Llama said:
" thats it? well... hmm... "
that's the thing. It's not it. The things he hasn't mentioned yet could make the premium service wonderful, or the end of Giantbomb.
Posted by MikeFightNight

To be honest I don't really understand how you guys have come this far without going bankrupt. 

I'll be happy to support you dudes because it's only fair since you entertain me on a regular basis. 

However I am interested in hearing what other features you got for paid members as your HD videos are the only thing that really appeal to me so far.  As for what I think you should do...ummmm....you could send me a freeze dried hamburger I guess.

Posted by KuribosShoe

also those guitars that are like, double guitars, you know?

chocolate microscopes

Posted by InfamousBIG
@natetodamax said:
" @BeachThunder said:

"
NO! NO. NO. NO. 

No no no no no no no. 

Never. Never. "

Posted by artofwar420

Excellent duders! The shirt was the main thing I wanted and suggested, I'm sold. I want to support you guys and something to show for in the outside world is something really cool as a reward. Everything else is just gravy or... whipped cream on top.

Posted by Sweep

this needs a sticky :/

Posted by WilliamRLBaker

Calendars of anime chicks?

WTF!? why not?!
you wont get my money without that!

Posted by KuribosShoe

maybe a subscriber only livestream of the podcast?

though I guess that'd suck for the guys, they'd have to play to the camera and stuff

alright I'll take an hd dvd 360 drive

Edited by Hilikus

New shirts are a nice idea. Though another wave of Oscar Mike shirts wouldn't hurt... 

Also, does this mean that the entirety of the ERs will be accessible in hd? If so. GOD YES.

Content request for sub:  
 Access to live streams of whiskey media board game nights

Posted by ajamafalous
@mosdl said:
" As for T-shirts - simply sell them to everyone and let paid members get one free (only pay s/h). "
This, come on guys. I want to buy some damn shirts. 

Also, I would buy a Men of Whiskey Media calendar. 

I've got a few suggestions for stuff not to add: 
  • Forum signatures 
  • Animated avatars 

They would both make the forums look like trash, and I'd probably stop using them.
Posted by Landon
@WilliamRLBaker said:
"  Calendars of anime chicks?  WTF!? why not?! you wont get my money without that! "
Lets me and you start up our own website. It will feature anime chick calendars AND booze. In fact, forget the website!
Edited by mr_shoeless

As you said, I mostly just want to support the site and whatever bonuses might accrue to me for that are nice but not required...except for ad-free. I know you already said there would be no ads for paid subscribers; but I just want to reinforce  How...Much...I...Loathe...Ads.

As for other potential extras, maybe there could be special Tuesday Night Throwdowns just for subscribers, since it's already tough to get in to those. Also, I really would like to get all of the Endurance Runs on DVD. But, I recognize that might be a copyright-infringement of some kind or whatever so I'm not holding my breath. Maybe I can get a gold star on my profile? I'm just throwing out ideas here. If Ryan were to record the outgoing message on my voice mail that would just be crazy.

I like using Paypal but it's not required. Yearly's fine as long as I can be sure you will all be around in a year (something I know we all want).

Edited by Ineedaname
@snide:
I had an idea a short while ago for blogging and how it can be improved via a subscription.

Basically it consists of categorising blogs, I.e. I make a blog, I can add it to a list of blogs all under the same "folder", and I can have many folders, in there I have the specific blogs, say a folder relating to RTSs, another to FPSs, or random ones, like Arbitarywaters' revisiting of old games. (Which I quite like)

Alongside that, bloggers with a subscription, allow other users to subscribe to the specific blogs "folders", and when a new one is added to the folder, they get a PM.
My reasoning for this is I like a lot of blogs on this site but some of the ones people post in between I couldn't care for, it aids in both getting more views for a persons blog, and gets user content to those that want it.
It also gives an incentive to pay because they're getting a benefit to the stuff they write themselves and in exchange for their sub they get views. It may aid in filling the site with better quality blogs. (Not a comment relating to the current blogs.)

It can be argued it gives a platform for people to get their blogs more recognised by others, but to get someone to subscribe to someone's folder, you'd have to write a decent blog to begin with.  But there are many good blogs on this site that go missed, and a few blogs I like but I lose track of them, and when the next one comes around if I'm not on the forum around the time it's posted it'll probably be lost beneath other topics.

Feedback?
Or can anyone elaborate on my idea and take it somewhere else?

Also, I'd like to say it's sounding promising, I may (will) subscribe regardless.
Support the things you like!

Final note, you're all top, top men.

(also forgive any mistakes, it's getting late)
Posted by mau64

I'm down with this; especially if i can start using the forums on my phone. I've wanted that every since I came to the site. I'd say it should be like $5 a month or $50 for a year. That I would be fine with.

Posted by KuribosShoe

I don't even care about ads.  I just want to pay you guys.  I'm sick in the head.

Posted by Hashbrowns

Would the HD video downloads be retroactive to include previously posted content?  Basically, I'm wondering if I'll be able to download all endurance run episodes and stream them to my X360.  That would be pretty cool.
Posted by ajamafalous
@natetodamax said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" How about some extra titles for premium members?
I am heavily against anything that makes subscribers stand out amongst the community.  "
I agree 100%. That will only lead to elitism and segregation.
Posted by Systech
  • Multiple rainbows
  • Whiskey Media themed wake-up calls
  • Virtual toothpaste
  • Weekly dramatic radio show read by Drew Scanlon
  • 10 new Whiskey sites, including yarnfarm.com and the revamped cocainemountain.com
  • Customizable greeting cards
  • GiantBeatMaker presented by Axe Body Spray
  • Spider repellent wrapped inside the mentioned t-shirt

If you nail like five of these, maybe you have a sell.
Posted by TaliciaDragonsong

Paypal please!

Not many people in the EU have creditcards, like, practically none!
This could work, I sure hope it does as you guys deserve it!

Posted by Finstern
@Hashbrowns: p4 endurace run wouldnt be in hd, only 480p at most cos its on ps2
Posted by Jimbo

I like it, no divisive features or subscriber showboating nonsense.  Keepin' it classy, GB, just tell me where to sign.

Obvious question: any ballpark figure on $$$ yet?

Posted by mr_shoeless
@KuribosShoe said:
" as for suggestions I wouldn't mind an ignore button.  it would help me be less angry at fools. "
Posted by thehexeditor

Just tell me which orifice I should insert this wad of money into I'LL DO ANYTHING FOR YOU WHISKEY MEDIA

Edited by Red12b
@ajamafalous said:

" @natetodamax said:

" @CaptainObvious said:
" How about some extra titles for premium members?
I am heavily against anything that makes subscribers stand out amongst the community.  "
I agree 100%. That will only lead to elitism and segregation. "
the elite 

we know who we are 

don't we, kitten
Posted by LordAndrew

I don't care about any of the stuff currently listed as part of the plan. It's the stuff that's not yet on that list that could make it a great thing or an absolutely terrible thing. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Posted by Lies

Not sure if you've heard this one, but...

how about

quests

related to guides?

Posted by DuhQbnSiLo

Will be looking forward to this.

Posted by CitizenKane
@BeachThunder said:

• limitless flags
  • a 10% or so increase in XP
"
Limitless flags and no mod consent for Wiki edits is just opening the gates for spammers/abusers.  Also, paying for an increase in Quest XP, an already free feature, would be disingenuous to the other users who don't or maybe can't pay for the service.
Posted by mr_shoeless
@ajamafalous said:
I've got a few suggestions for stuff not to add: 
  • Forum signatures 
  • Animated avatars 
 They would both make the forums look like trash, and I'd probably stop using them. "
I know I'm just quoting other people now, but I 100,000% agree with this (that's right, 100% a thousand times).
Posted by Vonocourt

Getting a t-shirt with a year subscription pretty much has me completely sold, assuming it's at most around $25. But yeah, 720p is swell, but the t-shirt makes it feel a bit more like a donation to Whiskey Media to me. Which through some backwards logic, is a lot easier for me to justify dropping dough on rather than paying for a subscription

Posted by FlipperDesert

That 720p video downloaded fast and is possibly the first HD video I've ever seen that hasn't crapped-up framerate-wise.

As far as the t-shirt goes I'd like to just have something that can be identified by another GB user on the street but discreet and cool enough to not be all like "VIDEO GAAAAMES YEAAAAAH!" and make me feel like a complete dork. Luchadeer would be nice.

Also, I would like an audiobook series read by Brad. Yes.

Posted by Trace

Sounds good thus far. I like Sweep's idea of subscribers having user names reserved for future sites. I'm also all for a free t-shirt for a yearly subscription, and as long as it has something awesome on it, I don't care what the actual design is. The HD video looks pretty decent, as well. Beyond that, extra privileges that are extraneous to the site's enjoyment, such as extra opportunities to interact with the staff in TNT-like situations, or special game server usage...eh, whatever can work. I'm not even sure what all can be done, but I'm willing to pay for it.

The list of what you'll never include sounds great. Also be sure to never include the right to use animated .gifs with a paid subscription. I hate those with a passion, and they're more a distraction than anything.

Price-wise, I personally think the best price option hovers around $30/year or $4-5/month for a monthly plan, which would fall in line with fancier magazine subscriptions for me. Less than that and I'd be absolutely thrilled. $50 or more a year, and you'd be making me pay as much I would for Xbox Live, which would make me hesitant.

Regardless, liking what I see so far, and I trust you dudes will make this work out well.

Edited by CitizenKane
@Jimbo said:

" I like it, no divisive features or subscriber showboating nonsense.  Keepin' it classy, GB, just tell me where to sign.  Obvious question: any ballpark figure on $$$ yet? "

They obviously can't say anything if they don't have a 100% concrete number.  It would be a bad business move and, even worse, Shelby and Mike Tatum will go on a violent rampage.
Posted by Grissefar

T-shirt? I'm in!

But dear Dave Snider, please promise no goofy Giant Bomb logo :) Just a Luchadeer or something.

Posted by snide

Just to be clear debit cards will work fine as well. Update the text. 

Your username being saved works out of the gate with our new login system, so no worries there either.

Posted by artofwar420
@Grissefar: I would not mind a goofy GB logo.
Posted by Yummylee

Can we at least receive a Whiskey Media Staff Calender then?

Posted by V_Ben

Yeah, I pledge my support to paypal. pretty please. Also, Hell Yeah HD Video :D

Posted by CitizenKane
@snide: The video quality is great on those two sample HD videos, but the audio was a little off in the Wargames WU-TANG.