875 Comments
Posted by LiquidPenguins
@IceOrb:  I really agree that there needs to be a better way of filtering the blog area on the front page because it's not very useful as of now. The noise to quality ratio is way off and there needs to be something, anything, to help combat this and let more quality community content come up to the front.
Posted by DaManGB

720p! can't wait!

Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Depending on the cost, I'll likely support regardless of the features. But I'm still on a bit of a fence, and ads going away doesn't really matter to me, and while 720p is a plus, I don't have a phone that can use the mobile version of the site. 

We'll see, can't wait to hear more.

Posted by MementoMori

I can't pay for it without PayPal! :(

Posted by LiquidPrince

I was just gonna say, hey if this thing supports Paypal, you got yourself a deal. So Snide duder, Paypal is a must.

Posted by Origina1Penguin
@Pkshields: They will not remove anything the site already does. That much has been stressed by the staff. So no worries about that :)
Edited by EvilMuffin

Needs more... to make it worth paying for.
I like the idea of a special icon like staff/mods get. 
Maybe custom titles?
Some sort of live stream or something. 
Video blogs!!
I'd like to see a black giant bomb zip-up hoodie with the giant bomb logo on the left breast... or just hoodies in general. I heart hoodies.

Of the items listed... none of them make me want to pay. I'm cool with the video qualities that are up now, I don't browse giant bomb from my phone, and I don't see ads. =/

Posted by Gav47
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @snide said:
"Will you support paypal? 

Right now we're thinking about going only with credit card processing. If there is wild outrage that paypal is an option I'd like to hear it."
OH.  SHIT.  You better support Paypal. >:( "
If there is no PayPal option I can't buy, having no credit card means I have to work through the sites bank transfer feature.
Posted by EvilMuffin

Debit cards function as a credit card for those who don't have a credit card. I assume if you have paypal you have a bank account of some sort...

Posted by CoinMatze
@alternate said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @alternate:   Not really, only one guy I know has a CC around here, and a lot of EU's I spoke on games told me the same. Rawr. "
Well I don't know where "here" is for you, "here" for me, the UK, they are at least as popular as in America I would say - that is why we have so much per capita personal debt.  Pretty common where ever else I have been in western Europe too in all the urban areas at least. "
I consider Hamburg one of the urbanest areas of Germany and there are only few people with credit cards.
Posted by JasonDaPsycho

Personally, my take is the premium membership should have extra features, but not extra content
Also, send these members t-shirts or something like that, or perhaps opportunities to hang out with the crew?

Posted by DiscoDuck8k

I'm not saying for certain I'd be in the paying crowd since there's not much reason for me personally so far, but I just want to add another comment for PayPal as a payment option. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to no matter what happens, simple as that.

Posted by EdTwo

i would want a shirt with luchadeer

Posted by NateDogg

I'll pay if the mobile site works proper on my Blackberry wahahhaha... Thats probably asking for a lot but I can wish right?

Posted by DaManGB
@CowMuffins said:
" I want a membership tag, like the moderators except not. "
Posted by gingertastic_10

I'm sorry but I would never pay.

Edited by Stefan

I like what you have suggested. This way I won't feel like I am sucking the blood out of you guys anymore. You became a big part of my life and I am willing to reward you for the joy, the entertainment and the good advice you guys give me (thanks again for that Valkyria Chronicles Quicklook, Dave... can we expect a VC2 Quicklook once it's out?). 

Making Paypal a payment option would be advisable. I am from Germany for example and most people in Germany don't even have credit cards and folks under 18 have a pretty hard time to get one... This might sound odd but most Germans use money transfer directly from their bank accounts because it's mostly free in my country and it's been free for as long as I can remember. You can simply link your bank account to your Paypal account which makes a credit card mostly irrelevant for the majority of internet transactions.  
I know that Paypal fees suck and I would go for the credit card option but I think you should put this in.   

edit: I'd also like to see more alignment colors, to make the colors more interesting. I am still a huge fan of SEGA colors but my alignment color was green for the past few years. Not because I am an Xbox 360 fanboy but because I believe that it's the best current gen console which is kind of not as cool as supporting the thing you really love. I guess that would be a general improvement. 

edit 2: I'd like to have a GB shirt, too. Signed by the crew if possible (including Dave, maybe you could even sign it twice, just to be sure)

Posted by Napalm
@snide said:
" Your username being saved works out of the gate with our new login system, so no worries there either. "
Hey Dave; I'm curious how this is going to work. I ask because some fucker on Comic Vine already stole Napalm away from me! :[
Posted by n11n12

You had me sold at "Stream and Download HD Video at 720p."

Edited by Jaserno

I am happy with this. I think as CowMuffins and DaManGB said those who subscribe should have a membership tag below our names. I will gladly give Giant Bomb my money, you guys have helped me save money through the games I've purchased so why not.  

EDIT: I also think that Paypal should be an option but also be able to directly pay the money through a debit/credit card. That way you can please everyone.

Posted by Steve_C
@Fallen189 said:

" Allowing people in the EU to actually participate in site events would be super for a subscription idea. "

Seriously. Subscription aside, i'd wish you guys would look further into integrating international members a bit better.

As for ideas, maybe some funky new colour schemes could be added. You could incorporate some of the CSS from other sites like screened in the way the text etc. is handled, but even more beyond that would be great. I like the idea of a much more red site, though i'm not sure how practical it would be. Maybe instead of that you could just have a suite of options, allowing the user to define colours for various text and backgrounds, creating their own custom skin almost. No custom html or any of that crap to avoid seeing shitty myspace pages.

I've also been thinking about a more modular profile page. Maybe you could switch around and rearrange the order of elements on the page. For example, maybe i'd prefer the 'status updates' box right under the profile image section, and I could move the 'followed blogs' section further up to make it more dominant since that's the info in interested in. Another matter is whether that specific configuration is displayed only on your page for every user to see, or if it keeps that as a default thing for the individual user, where every profile he/she views will be displayed like that.

Actually, maybe the modular thing could be extended to the site proper or at least the front page. I have a quite rectangular screen on my laptop, and it's not very tall. I HATE the section on the front page just below the featured content (the area with the game covers). It serves me no purpose and it just takes up screen estate. It's an annoyance that i'm always just scrolling past. It would be cool if I have the option not to display that, or at least move it down to the bottom of the page. If anything i'd rather that space be filled by the community review, and other community stuff.

I'm not sure how interesting it would be, but maybe people could have access to more of the back-end data. I remember Jeff doing those achievement reports (what happened to them?) based off of this data we didn't see. There was also that seciton with all sorts of 'most popular' things in the first iteration of the site. Maybe we could get that back, or in a different form.

Well those are some ideas anyway. Not sure how feasible that modular stuff is to implement. It's probably quite complicated, but it would be neat. I do like the direction you're taking with it. Seems tasteful. Excited to see more details going forward.
Posted by Supermarius
@Origina1Penguin said:
" @Pkshields: They will not remove anything the site already does. That much has been stressed by the staff. So no worries about that :) "
the problem is that if they made premium audio or video content that was different enough from the content provided already, they could say it was a new feature. Then they could charge for it without contradicting themselves because technically they would not be charging for a feature that was once free.  Time spent making premium audio or video would mean less videos for non subscribers and potentially shorter bombcasts. I think we have to worry about this possibility until dave or someone else clarifies that there will never be premium only video or audio content. Personally, i'm bringing this up because I want people to think about it and worry so that GB doesn't do it. I'm not saying they would do it, but we should let them know how unwelcome that course would be.  I'm sure this idea has at least been on a whiteboard.
Posted by Brendan

I want a t-shirt, but to be honest, I think I speak for a lot of users here when I say I don't just want "funny" t-shirts with memes for nerds.  The Giantbomb guys have access to several awesome design people, and I think you can make a t-shirt that represents the website well without being...corny.  I'm not in highschool, I dress fairly well day-to-day, and I don't want a shirt that is embarrassing.  Just my two cents, thanks. 
Posted by Homer39

wait all were paying for is HD video and no ads? i guess ill have to see what the other features come with a paid subscription.

Posted by HatKing

You know what?  If all of the features sound right and the price isn't outlandish, I might just do this.  I mean I totally love the site and visit every day.  Also I am in bad need of clothes, a free tshirt might be a bigger bonus than they intended for me.
Posted by 234r2we232

What's this? Free t-shirts for a year? Sign me up.

Posted by ajamafalous
@ViciousReiven said:
" Downloadable videos? I'm sold already, when I can have the entirety of the endurance runs and quick looks in HD to view anytime then that's more than enough to pay a fee for.  Also hoping for Paypal support. "
Videos are already downloadable. I have the first few episodes of the P4ER sitting on my hard drive right now.
Edited by RandomInternetUser
@TheHBK said:

" Fuck paypal.  I sell something on ebay, get paid through paypal.  Then to get my money, paypal charges me, even though Ebay already charged me for selling something?  And paypal is owned by ebay?  Bullshit.  Don't go to paypal, don't give them the business. I am fine with using a credit card online like every other normal person who makes purchases online. "

YERP.  I've never liked paypal except for money transfers to other people for the safety of it (AKA not businesses).

Anywho, sounding great!  Definitely down with this.

Edit: Let it be known that I don't think you shouldn't support Paypal, as some people use it exclusively, just that I don't like it.
Posted by CitizenKane
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" What's this? Free t-shirts for a year? Sign me up. "
No, one free t-shirt when you sign up for a year.
Posted by RobertOrri

I'm in. Just promise me that you won't go all IGN/GameSpy/GameSpot on your readers. Ever.

Posted by Evilsbane

Finally a website that I want to pay for. Early reports sound fantastic Dave cannot wait!

Edited by damnboyadvance

I'm down with this! While I will very likely sign up for the paid membership, I still don't want anybody who doesn't care for it/can't afford it left out. And I'm confident that Giant Bomb is not the type of company to leave people out.

Good job thus far! Please accept this thumbs up!

Posted by ajamafalous

I would pay for the option to remove anything done by Brad Nicholson from the 'ten most recent things' section of the homepage.

Posted by Stefan
@AlisterCat:  I don't know man I was pretty impressed that the portal video ran as smoothly as it did on my four year old notebook. I like it the way it is though I get where you're coming from :-) 
Posted by KuribosShoe
@ajamafalous said:
" I would pay for the option to remove anything done by Brad Nicholson from the 'ten most recent things' section of the homepage. "
you're the kind of person I'd pay to ignore
Posted by 234r2we232
@CitizenKane said:
" @sofacitysweetheart said:
" What's this? Free t-shirts for a year? Sign me up. "
No, one free t-shirt when you sign up for a year. "
Fine. Then I will pay you for t-shirts.
Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw

When I get back on my feet job-wise and fiscally, your paid membership is going to be one of the first things I buy, if just to support Whiskey Media.  I think you guys and gals are the bee's knees, the shiz to my nit.  Keep on kicking ass, having fun, and doing what you do, and I'll support you until I'm old and grizzly and tellin' my grandkids about that Internet thingamajig we had back in our day.

Posted by ajamafalous
@KuribosShoe said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" I would pay for the option to remove anything done by Brad Nicholson from the 'ten most recent things' section of the homepage. "
you're the kind of person I'd pay to ignore "
Then I suppose GB would get their money's worth. 

I'm not sure why it matters to you whether or not I like Brad Nicholson's articles.
Posted by CL60

Please no "subscriber only videos"

Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar
@snide said:
  • Stream and Download HD Video at 720p (we shoot and receive most source material in 720, 1080 would just be upscale). Here are a couple tests, let me know how they look (Wargames, Portal 2). We plan on doing this for our entire back catalog, but obviously the newer stuff will look better.

Along with no ads we're considering giving T-Shirts to anyone who signs up for the yearly plan. Does that sound like a good idea, what would you want to see on the T-Shirt? We'd likely have to add $10 to anyone outside the US to pay for shipping if we end up going that route. 

Those two things just made my day. I am also really happy that you will have a non-PayPal payment option.
Posted by KuribosShoe
@ajamafalous said:
" @KuribosShoe said:
" @ajamafalous said:
Then I suppose GB would get their money's worth.   I'm not sure why it matters to you whether or not I like Brad Nicholson's articles. "
I'm not sure why it matters to you whether or not they show up.  You don't have to read them.  They're video game news.  That's what the site's about.  Video games.
Posted by onimonkii

this all sounds really good, especially since i'm the kind of idiot with a bad username that's never taken anywhere, it basically means now i'll have CV/AV accounts for whenevs. will unified logins also mean unified profile/blog/status/followers? i think images and wiki subs would be too much, but the rest seem like a good idea to keep consistent across all sites. sorry if this was covered already, i didn't read anything but the first post.

the streaming 720p videos looked fine, but a couple minutes in started to chug. might just be my connection/browser/everyone else hammering it probably though. 

Posted by Stefan

Every subscriber gets a copy of Shaq Fu since there is not Lincoln Force yet.

Posted by StillVictor

Bring it on. I will definitely sign up for the yearly subscription, unless it is very expensive. But you seem to be on the right track, I trust you won't overcharge for it.

Edited by yoshimitz707

Paypal is the only way I can pay for this so it'd be really nice if you could add support for that.

Posted by ajamafalous
@KuribosShoe said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @KuribosShoe said:
" @ajamafalous said:
Then I suppose GB would get their money's worth.   I'm not sure why it matters to you whether or not I like Brad Nicholson's articles. "
I'm not sure why it matters to you whether or not they show up.  You don't have to read them.  They're video game news.  That's what the site's about.  Video games. "
Today, for example, there were more things posted than slots on homepage since the last time I had checked them, so I had to go to several different places on the site to find new things (Video tabs, News tab and sift through all of the Brad articles to see if there were any new ones by other people, etc.).
Posted by Rapid
@snide:  Great Work, and I'm glad everything is coming along nicely. Personally, I'm not opposed to subscription, but what would the possibility of  selling Whiskey Media branded merchandise? Like I've love to buy different tested, giantbomb,  screened, anime vice w/e. I do remember a GB store a while back I am so jealous my friend was able to get a shirt because now they are not available. 
Edited by Matthew

I personally think we shouldn't have a special emblem/tag/doohickey underneath our avatars in the forum section.  Think about it - those who have'em are people we have to/should pay attention to, the staff and the moderators.  It's easy to just scroll down the page and right away see who's post I should really take into consideration.  Even if it was a different color, having a 'paying sucker' beneath some peoples name would just be downright distracting. 

But.  Out of the three features featured, easily the retro HD-ing of every friggn vidya ya'll have put out there, and available for download to my hard drive...almost enough to make me change my panties. 

OH. 

pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasePLEASE 
  • put that lost footage of Vinny's and Ryan's performance of rap songs done folk style one lonely night in the basement with a guitar and glass of wine as the first thing you'd be able to download to paying peeps.  Sooooooo much potential. 
Edited by Jeffsekai

I will not pay for the ability to "download" HD videos, thats not worth any money. 

EDIT: okay good your streaming it as well, back on board. 

For the shirt anything not too obscure and nothing related to a certain game (i.e. MW2) and please include a Giantbomb logo

Posted by error5305

Depending on pricing I will most likely support GB/Whiskey sites financially.
Some things I would enjoy:  

• Custom front page where you could view various new articles/vids from all Whiskey sites.  So I sign up, designate x% of page to GB, x% to tested, etc.  This would not need to be totally custom layout, more custom content.  I'll leave the elegant page layout designs to the pros. 
  • Some extra videos of behind the scenes crap, like making of and such.  Not exclusive reviews, mailbags, or QLs.  Just something extra for those who wish to see more of what goes into making this site, like content found in "Collector's editions" of DVDs and occasionally games.
  • Higher priority for TNT.  I can't, won't, and don't try to get in on them all but man it is frustrating when I really want to and can't.  Maybe even a low-key members throwdown with staff on different days, as in the link only shows up on paid accounts so non-subscribers don't feel they are being cut out of the fun?
  • As for t-shirt, I know community members and staff probably have some great designs.  Let yearly subscribers pick one from a variety, and then sell more merchandise with a discount given to yearly account holders, I'd probably end up buying at least one.
  • Option to have threads show from certain forums instead of just latest/random.  So I would prefer to have more SSFIV threads visible from my home page than, say, Halo:Reach.

Can't wait to see where you guys take this.  Door number one FTW.