47 Comments
Posted by BradNicholson

Fret no more: your next Castlevania adventure will be soon. Konami has announced that Castlevania: Lords of Shadow will be released this October 5, 2010, on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Lords of the Shadow is a 3D brawler close in style to God of War. Relative newcomers Mercury Steam, the Madrid-based studio that put out the middling Clive Barker's Jericho, is the main team working on the title. Kojima Productions of Metal Gear fame is helping, and you might be able to see some of the his influence in the game's latest, nearly five-minute-long trailer. 

Aside from letting you brutalize skeletons and the like, this latest Castlevania will set you on a quest to find a "mysterious" device known as Lords of Shadow. With it, you'll be able to restore peace and harmony to Earth (read: kill undead stuff), and also turn dead people into living people. Lord of Shadow will feature 50 levels, 45 enemies, 40 combo attacks and a "wide range" of puzzles.

Also, there will be a collector's edition of the game. Konami hasn't created final mock-ups of the limited-release bundle, but for now you can at least take a gander at what will probably be offered this October.    

Edited by Onigenko

Hmm, I wonder if this will be a Metroidvania, or just some action game.

Posted by Hammerjelly

I am cautiously optimistic about this game.

Posted by Sanious
@Onigenko said:
" Hmm, I wonder if this will be a Metroidvania, or just some action game.  Edit: Wow, accidental quests for the win. "
Think it's just a straight up God Of War type action game. Would be neat if they did try something like what Metroid Other M is doing, though.
Posted by MundaneSoul

This game looks fairly impressive. I just hope they go Metroidvania style with it, though it doesn't look likely.

Posted by Olivaw

Aside from letting you brutalize  skeletons and the like, this latest Castlevania will set you on a quest to find a "mysterious" device known as Lords of Shadow. 

I uh

I don't think that's what it's called, Brad.

Also color me stoked for this video game.
Posted by jkz

I want this to be good, it has an awesome voice-cast and score, but I just haven't seen enough game-play to convince me one way or another.

Posted by Slax

Patrick Stewart! That alone got me excited for this game.

Posted by cowdrunk

it could be good I hope its good i realy want it to be good
Edited by ribeye

fuckin' sweet!

Jericho stank it up at the box office, but Kojima's putting his name on it so it can't be all bad right? 

btw Metroidvania implies 2D side-scrolling awesomeness, this is clearly not 2D.  Doesn't mean it won't be awesome, but it definitely won't be 2D

Posted by habster3
@Hammerjelly said:
"I am cautiously optimistic about this game. "
Posted by zityz

Haven't played a 3d Castlevania game yet that has impressed me. This does look impressive but they dont show much gameplay and show off a bunch of cutscenes so. Who knows.
Posted by Yummylee

Suuuuuweet.

Posted by sodiumCyclops

Very excite.

Posted by Whiskeyjack

Could be interesting. A sever lack of whip action shown for something with the Castlevania moniker though.

Posted by infestedandy

From what I've seen, Lords of Shadow looks impressive. Yes its source material can be built upon practically anything and it looks like the gameplay was directly taken from God of War and Dante's Inferno, but you know what? Games constantly borrow from one another and if it makes Castlevania's next foray into the 3D realm that much better, then so be it!

Posted by Kinggi

Please be awesome please be awesome it looks awesome!

Posted by Hardtarget

man I don't know about this game, the trailers just aren't grabbing me.

Posted by MisterMouse

woah that crazy soon and it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Posted by Cheapoz

That's not a trailer. It's a montage. Pretty poor.

Posted by Koobz

I can't remember the last time a game used the number of unique enemies as part of it's sales pitch.

Posted by twelve1784

Not enough Patrick Stewart

Posted by shanchett99

all i got about the gameplay is "you can stand and press X to move the camera dramatically" and "EPIC DYNAMIC WALKING AWESOME ACTIONNNN"

Posted by BraveToaster

I hope this is good.

Posted by Chango

I really want this to be good.

Posted by afrofools
@Onigenko said:
" Hmm, I wonder if this will be a Metroidvania, or just some action game. "
This game is an action title, it will probably be a really good one too. But it won't be the metroidvania-style game fans have fallen in love with.
Posted by JJOR64

I really hope this game is good.

Posted by Tordah

October? That's a lot sooner than I had expected!

Edited by AngryMrWiggles

The VA sounds quite good so I really hope this game will surprise me in a positive way. 

Posted by NikoAlexander57

I've got mixed feeling about this one.

Posted by Sacerdos87

Patrick Stewart?! WHAT?!

Posted by simian

Looks promising but the dialogue is pretty heavy handed. Plus it'd be nice to see some actual gameplay footage...

Posted by Mnemoidian

Uh... the voice acting seemed good (woo, Patrick Stewart), but the trailer felt about 3 times as long as it should've been - and potentially revealing a bit much of the story?

Does look to be rather God of War-like.

Posted by kitsune_conundrum

doesn't look like its offering anything special.

Posted by IesuNoel

Woah... I got a Vagrant Story vibe there for some reason... But damn, that looks all kinds of nice there, son!

Posted by brian3d

It's a trap.

Edited by Trnck
@brian3d said:

" It's a trap. "

Guess I can never un-hear this...
Posted by Daftasabat

Not ingame footage judging by the camera angles. Voice acting didn't seem that great, but i'll hold back judgement as it could be pretty epic...hopefully

Posted by AnAmericanPatriot
@afrofools said:
" @Onigenko said:
" Hmm, I wonder if this will be a Metroidvania, or just some action game. "
This game is an action title, it will probably be a really good one too. But it won't be the metroidvania-style game fans have fallen in love with. "
NEITHER WAS Super Castlevania though, so it DEFINITELY DOESN'T need to be METROIDVANIA to be AWESOME as fuck.
Posted by slyely

Bah...this and New Vegas in the same month. Looks like I'm going to have a game queue.

Posted by JackSukeru
@simian said:
" Looks promising but the dialogue is pretty heavy handed. Plus it'd be nice to see some actual gameplay footage... "
Here ya go 

There hasn't been a lot shown outside of the E3 demo apparently. 

My only beef with the gameplay I've seen is the little "pause" that happens every time you land a heavier hit on one of the enemies. I'm fine with the rest of the game being similar to God of War but that particular touch sort of irks me for some reason.
Posted by lordgodalming

In 2008 I thought this game looked rad. Then in 2009 I thought it would suck. Now it looks rad again. October 5 w00t!

Posted by TheCrazedMadman

It's a TRAP!

Posted by Jethuty

angel wings? count me the fuck in

Posted by trueheart78

Really looking forward to this.

Posted by BionicRadd

Looks like overblown, bombastic crap.  Definitely a Kojima game.  I could care less about the story or the voice cast.  Neither of those things matter if the game is crap.  Just show me some quality whip play (or any substantial amount of gameplay) and I might be interested.  As it stands now, I'll pass.

Posted by riotpirate90

cant wait for this game to come out