206 Comments
Posted by Levio

Stop feeding the beast, he'll never learn.

Posted by LordAndrew
@xync4 said:
" hey I just got game room & like nine packs of games are totally free on the PC side
I didn't even see any available for purchase?? "
All the packs are always free. You have to buy the individual titles in-game.
Posted by LordAndrew
@fisk0 said:
" Atari 2600 doesn't make sense in a cabinet design either, that didn't stop them."
The problem is not that it doesn't make sense. It's just not possible. The design of the NES console is probably covered by patents, trademarks, what have you. Nintendo is not going to license that design to Microsoft, giving them permission to use the NES design in a competing product. It's not going to happen.
Posted by Max_Hydrogen

I was truly disturbed by this week's Game Room. That boxing game seems racist. I can't believe how lame Concentration, A game of was and it's wrong-answer-button freaks me out; I expect my balls to be electrocuted when I hear it; I guess Microsoft wants Game Room to die. The only game that looks halfway decent was that basketball one, but even it was awful with its modulated voices and subliminal mantra of "bravo, bravo, bravo" ad infinitum.  

Yes Brad: it's time to give game room the Old Yeller treatment.

Posted by Jimbo7676

It is now required by all giantbomb community members that whenever the word super is used it be spoken in imitation of Johnny V's imitation of Ice-T. We have spoken. I happen to speak for all giantbomb members.

Posted by LordAndrew

Bob Whitehead on Game Room: "It has lost its moral compass."

Posted by CelShader

Do not "put a bullet " in game-room. This must be covered.

Posted by Scratch

Props to you guys for keeping this going.

Edited by Strud

Krome Studios are still working on new releases. This segment from Good Game (Australian gaming program) about a tester working at the developer in Brisbane shows Game Room releases (and other things) being played.

You can see Game Pack 10 - Plaque Attack (2600) and Pressure Cooker (2600) listed on the screen at one point. They also show some Arcade titles being tested.

(I'm not sure if that link can be viewed outside of Australia).

Posted by tourgen

love the game room quick looks
Game room is looking a little sad these days though

Posted by Rodiard

Boxing, aka Fallopian Tube Battle

Posted by ColonelT

Holy damn -- I'm immortalized on the high score leaderboard in the Super Basketball video. Dack Montana 4-EVA.

Posted by YukoAsho
@Max_Hydrogen said:
"  That boxing game seems racist.
Now now, let's be fair, that was a 2600 game, that's probably the best Activision could do.  A black boxer and a white boxer, seems about right.  Granted, they could have given you options a la Intellivision Boxing, but considering the limitations of the 2600, that's really the best Activision could go for.
Posted by YukoAsho
@ArbitraryWater said:
" I would say that we have reached the bottom of the barrel, but then again, we reached it like 2 months ago. "
I'd say we've punched a hole in the bottom of the barrel and are digging a hole to China.
Posted by thepotatoman

Someone probably already said this but the controls for super break out and others is you are always expected to hold the thumbstick in one direction.  As you already know left is far left and right is far right, but if you hold up it moves it to the center and to gently slide from one side to the next you need to do a half circle forward or backwards like you might do in street fighter.

Its not perfect but its better then the d-pad thing.

Posted by Peanut

I don't really think  we should blame Game Room sucking on Microsoft, but the companies who could possibly agree to release games on it. Why would a lot of these companies release an actual classic arcade title into Game Room for $3 when they could release it on XBLA for $5 and pick up the spotlight of it being that weeks XBLA release? They're guaranteed to make more money in both cases.  

I think it's less about Microsoft not being willing to do something worthwhile with Game Room and more about these other companies not wanting to potentially lose money by supporting it.

Posted by fynne

I completely agree with Brad.  This is just sad.  You'd think that they would have lined up the licensing before they decided to make their BIG announcement.  I can't believe that if they had anything better to release, that they would be holding back.

Edited by thepotatoman

Reading these comments are making think back to when i actually rationed buying one game room game per week and using these quicklooks to decide what to buy.  If nothing good was out one week I'd just buy one from the backlog. $12 a month isnt that bad I thought.  Now here I am with "only" $40 or so worth of game room titles and I haven't played any of them in months.  Thing is if they had a few more really good games worth going into game room for I would probably be rationalizing buying a game like that basketball one in this quick look as i would be continuing to spend $12 a month.  I suppose there is always the hope that taito and namco and capcom will all come out and fully support game room but i dont think that hope could dwindle any more then it already has.

That said please don't stop the game room quicklooks.  They are consistently my favorite giant bomb things per week.

Posted by Kontrapunkt

Some investigative journalism into the rise and fall of game room would be immensely interesting I think.

Posted by Wacomole
@drag said:
" Someone needs to code better ... it says 113rd and 112nd moving up the ranks. Awful.  "
Eleventy-first, eleventy-second, eleventy-third, eleventy-fourth etc.   I see nothing wrong there. 
That's how all highly edumacated people count, isn't it?

I know it's about the Tentieth time someone has pointed out this mistake, but... 

I mean, this was released by one of the largest companies in existence. If it were wrong, a programmer,  a tester,  the producer or someone in QA would have noticed it straight away and made it a priority to change it immediately, right... right?
Posted by reflekshun

Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo. Haha that looked like womens basketball from their hair and the way they ran, and their legs. And they take their shirt off and the commentator says bravo when they do that... Is it just me?

Posted by LordAndrew
@MoleyUK said:
" Eleventy-first, eleventy-second, eleventy-third, eleventy-fourth etc.
I see nothing wrong there.  That's how all highly edumacated people count, isn't it? "
Absolutely. If it's good enough for Tolkein, it's good enough for Game Room.
Posted by LordAndrew

So it turns out Jungler is a metaphor, representing both the beginning and the end. It is a sign from a higher power, telling us we need to "put a bullet in it".

Posted by Nettacki
@YukoAsho said:
" @ArbitraryWater said:
" I would say that we have reached the bottom of the barrel, but then again, we reached it like 2 months ago. "
I'd say we've punched a hole in the bottom of the barrel and are digging a hole to China. "
Hopefully we'll go so low below the barrel that we'll turn around and end up on top again.

Or something...IDK
Posted by Spectreman

Please, continues with Game Room. The games are each time more bad, but still fun to see the quicklooks.

Posted by gakon

So not this Wednesday (which happens to be today), but next Wednesday, there are currently two games on the release schedule. TWO GAMES WE ARE DOWN TO TWO GAMES A WEEK

Posted by LordAndrew
@gakon5: PUT A BULLET IN IT
Posted by Mendelson9

You get a 10 minute demo for each game I think.  They never play one game that long and then Jeff would not need to spend any money.

Posted by shadowwolf9

Dave and his threadless tee's.

Posted by IrishBrewed

Xbox Live is no longer a time suck but absolute money suck as well, can they charge for anything else...Every time you turn on your xbox it will cost an MS Point

Posted by FalseDeity
@IrishBrewed said:
" Xbox Live is no longer a time suck but absolute money suck as well, can they charge for anything else...Every time you turn on your xbox it will cost an MS Point "
I agree. Though, I'll tolerate their prices on arcade games. For good arcade games, it's not the worst thing ever, but between avatar clothing, themes--which is just a background image basically--and the fact they still let Game Room continue at the prices they charge, that's pretty down right mean. They don't bother scaling prices to the quality or age of the game, so one could pay $5 for that concentration game (Which most won't obviously). Even releasing games twice on two platforms? Way to make apathetic consumers.
Edited by IrishBrewed
@FalseDeity: Yeah it is a micro purchasing Joke. And they just went up in Live membership price yet all they have to boast is a Party system! Hell you pay for every damn thing else you do on the turd, arcade games, these old 1bit P.O.S games, you pay for Netflix, you pay for Zune, you pay for the games to pay Live to play...Why the hell is their a membership fee if  they are getting there damn fill of our MS POINTS off everything else..Its them wanting their cake and eating it too...No Knock on JEFF and them but everything they get is FREE, but I am sure they would write the micro purchasing bullshit off and stick to STEAM or PSN if they were paying customers... But hey its "US", the retarded fuckin gamer who fuels this shit, keep playing DRESS UP MY DOLLY and buy them damn useless avatar clothes you sheep, Live membership will just go up..Thanks asshats... That is all. Back to Steam now.../instant message win
Posted by StrainedEyes

Last week was lonely without Game Room. 

Edited by hollitz

I love how Jeff was 112nd place in Super Basketball at one point.
Oh man.  Concentration.  More player-hostile than Demon's Souls.

Posted by YukoAsho
@hollitz said:
" Oh man.  Concentration.  "
A perfect game for when you go to camp.

OK, that was horrible.
Posted by zmcgrew

These Game Room Quick Looks are fantastic! I was so bummed when this didn't go up last week. Luckily this week will be a double update. =)

While I wish better games would go into Game Room, the best Quick Looks come from bad games...

Posted by jeremy.hasse@gmail.com

I love viewing this weekly train wreck.

I thought atari 2600 checkers was the low point for game room. Then came concentration.

I just imagine that guy on the top of the super breakout leaderboard holding his breath at every hit of the ball with those shitty controls, just never knowing if it's going to hit or not. I think it probably drove him insane.

Posted by Adsone

I love how bummed out jeff sounds at the end, he's like on the brink of crying.
"God it's just...*sigh* This could have...Been somethin, y'know? =/"

Posted by alex232

Love seeing people actually play the crap in Game Room. Hate actually seeing the crap they put out for Game Room. Konami's gotta have a few more decent arcade games left? Pooyan has a chance of being Game Room game of the month.

Posted by Redbeggar

This service could've been great, but it just blows my mind that they expect people to pay money for some of this stuff.

Posted by SithToast

BLAHAHG WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS

Posted by syzygyeolith

I'm so glad game room exists, only because it means these videos will keep coming out.

Posted by Zoidberg

I love Game Room Quick Looks. Don't ever stop.

Posted by MrMcgillicutty

Does that basketball game take place in a female prison?

Posted by AddyMac

I'm beginning to understand why the videogame crash happened.

Posted by Max_Hydrogen
@YukoAsho: 

Yes, I know, I was kidding.
Posted by YukoAsho

So did they officially decide to stop?  Or as there not a 9/9 game room?

Posted by Nux

Thease Quick Looks are starting to get depressing.
Posted by Burn1n9m4n

Jeff the dream has sailed.  Let it go man....let it go.
Posted by Happyraisins

Game Room is such a train wreck but you can't help but just love it for what it could have been... Shame.