62 Comments
  • 62 results
Posted by Shigginator

I suppose that's good. They should just focus on future FF titles and not waste any more time with this one

Posted by Geekcore

I'm glad because I don't want to by sub-par DLC so I can keep my S-Rank.

Posted by TorMasturba

I'm not really bothered, FF XIII was a thoroughly dismal game except for chapter 13, so if they do release extra content, it better be to add extra villages and nooks and crannies, like even more hard to get secret swords etc, and add some extra corridors to the extremely long corridor that is chapter 1-12, and 14 onwards.

Posted by Jalaman

What sort of DLC would they even make for a game like Final Fantasy XIII? It's such a linear game, it's not like putting out DLC for Mass Effect 2. I can't think of anything they could do that would make me want to launch FFXIII again.

Posted by ChaosBahamut

Heh, guess it's a case of "Damn'd if you do, damn'd if you don't" when it comes to DLC.

Semi-off topic: Still want FFXIII on PC.

Posted by Hershey07

No surprise, right? 

Posted by Kohlstream

It's a pretty bad time for Square these days, quality wise.

Posted by His_lane

Hey Nicholson, could you throw a bike at Toriyama for me? Or better yet, just sit outside of Square Enix headquarters and start throwing bikes at everybody.

Posted by mrfisher

Time to move on.

Posted by Faint

just let this game die already. other than in terms of graphics, the game is hardly next gen and doesnt offer anything beyond a half decent story and bland (dare i say awful) characters.

Posted by Greenlight13

What would it even be? Probably more of the Pulse missions (which I still haven't felt compelled to do after finishing the narrative)

Posted by KaosAngel
@Horry43: The only real team they have left is Nomura's team, so they aren't gone yet.  Everyone else bailed to Mist Walker, Level-5, or Atlus.
Posted by Horry43

Square-Enix development has to be considered a joke this gen, right? They have developed Last Remnant, FFXIII, and nothing else (FFXI was a port!) How many people are working there? Has to be a lot. A lot more then 2 games in nearly 5 years.

Posted by afrofools

Good. Don't waste time on DLC, just make another awesome FF. DLC on linear RPG's isn't cool anyway (I have nothing wrong with the linearity btw).

Posted by Brackynews

During the Microsoft conference, Kitase announced it will have an Easy Mode and a book known as “Corridor of Memory”.

That is funny on so many levels.

Posted by moelarrycurly

FF XIII is long enough as it is.  It took me 52 hours to beat it, and there are barely any sidequests...

Edited by KaosAngel
@Raven_Sword: ...but that is the case in Japan.  This is a Japanese only game, like every other International Release.  You need to see it from the Japanese gamer's eyes...they cut stuff from the PS3 version, and put it back into this 360 only International edition. 

This version won't be out in NA/EU, and is just for Japan...like every other re-release Square has ever done.  People are pissed because of all the empty promises Wada promised and every one has been spat on. 

The Complete version of FF13 will be on 360, understand how that feels to the Japanese gamers who were promised by first Nomura and then Wada that the PS3 version would not be compromised, and a year later they release the complete version on the 360 in Japan.
Posted by Ivoldir

Not sure, but I believe some of the designer team for FFXIII have swaped over to FFXIV since it's a much larger project that requires A LOT of attention compared to a released single-player title.

Edited by Raven_Sword
@KaosAngel:

Well, more syestems they have it on, more possible income for them. Like it or not, PS3 aint like the PS2 this gen where PS2 Exclsuvies had a case for being exclusvie because they knew they would sell enough being exclusive to warrent it because everyone adn tehir mom owned a PS2 last gen. Nowadays, that aint the case and 360 usualy sell more then PS3 software wise. Thats more of a expalanation on why they went multiplatform then why they are only doing this version only on 360, though.
Posted by kratier

uh , i dont think majority of gamers even comprehend what DLC is, you should be thanking the developers

Posted by KaosAngel
@Raven_Sword said:
" Also in other news, Japan is flipping their shit that FF 13 is coming to Japan on 360. i dont see teh big deal, I also dont see why they saw it necessary. theyll sell, what, 5 copies of it? "
That's not why.  It has a lot to do with trust and the fact that Wada promised it would be PS3 only in Japan, AND that the fucking International Edition (that Square said they cut due to size), is coming EXCLUSIVELY to the 360. 

It makes no sense, why the fuck is the International Edition just for 360 when the hardcore Square fans wanted it on PS3.
Posted by Raven_Sword

Also in other news, Japan is flipping their shit that FF 13 is coming to Japan on 360. i dont see teh big deal, I also dont see why they saw it necessary. theyll sell, what, 5 copies of it?
Posted by AuthenticM

Why can't they just put out some new costumes for the playable characters? Would it take that long to design them? I mean, this is exactly the kind of game that fans would like to play with the characters in different outfits.

Posted by Norusdog

who cares.  this game is a fucking abortion.  no control over teammates.  linear as shit.  by time you get to do any sort of free-roaming you no longer give a shit...and the battle system is idiotic.

no DLC? whoop dee fucking doo!

Posted by ryanwho
@Gaughan said:
" The question I want to ask is, does it need DLC? I havent played the game yet, but is there any need to add any more to the game's story after it is completed? "
That's all well and good but they announced the 'international" version. And the tradition in those games is to take the original game and retweek some mechanics, then add a good chunk of additional content. So they're already making content that could be sold as DLC, and they're choosing to sell it as full retail game that will never come to the states.
Posted by IBurningStar

Oh no, you mean I'm not going to be able to run down a new brightly colored hallway for 3 more hours after all? I was so looking forward to doing that all over again!

Seriously though, I don't want to ever touch that game again and I don't want some DLC coming out to make me consider otherwise.

Posted by animateria

This doesn't seem particularly NEWS worthy.

Considering FF13 wasn't putting the world on fire... Even a bit.

Posted by Axelhander
@KaosAngel said:
" @PokeIkzai said:

" How am I not surprised? Square Enix not supporting a game past release, wow. Wait, that's exactly what I would have expected from them. "

Dude, are you familiar with Square?  They ALWAYS support their game post release...every major game has had an International Version in Japan that contains so many updates, patches, and content.    Square doesn't do DLC because they make more money selling the re-release in Japan. "
Um, yeah, no. That's not "support past release."
Posted by DXmagma

does anyone really need MORE FF13? i mean, versus is a different game so it's okay but i'm all 13ed out i barely got to the tenth hour.

Posted by spazmaster666

The only "DLC" I would care about would be something along the lines of a Japanese soundtrack, which of course won't happen (because they want you to buy the International edition).

Posted by dankempster
@KaosAngel: I think you've kinda missed the point of my post. It's not really about Final Fantasy XIII not getting DLC. I was just trying to add to oliveshark's discussion about DLC within the JRPG genre by saying that I do think there is a place for it. I only referenced FFXIII in passing, just to cite an example of a game that wouldn't benefit from DLC.
Edited by KaosAngel
@PokeIkzai said:

" How am I not surprised? Square Enix not supporting a game past release, wow. Wait, that's exactly what I would have expected from them. "

Dude, are you familiar with Square?  They ALWAYS support their game post release...every major game has had an International Version in Japan that contains so many updates, patches, and content.   

Square doesn't do DLC because they make more money selling the re-release in Japan.
Posted by PokeIkzai

How am I not surprised? Square Enix not supporting a game past release, wow. Wait, that's exactly what I would have expected from them.

Posted by KaosAngel
@dankempster: Why make DLC when Square's formula for re-releasing as "International" Editions ends up making them more money at the end?
Posted by dankempster
@oliveshark: I think there's one type of DLC that fits incredibly well into the JRPG formula, and that's the 'super-hard bonus dungeon'. You know the kind of place - a subterranean dungeon crawl through ten floors of new, super-tough enemies, culminating in a mega-hard boss battle, all in the pursuit of brand spanking new loot in the shape of special weapons and armour. Lost Odyssey had a DLC add-on like this, and while I didn't play it myself, I gather it was pretty well received. 

However, I don't think this would work in Final Fantasy XIII for a few reasons. For a start, there's pretty much nowhere to put it. Most JRPGs have some means of navigating the whole planet, be it a traditional overworld like in Dragon Quest VIII, or a list of regions like in Final Fantasy X. FFXIII doesn't have this, because most of its environments can't be returned to. The only truly explorable environment in Final Fantasy XIII is Gran Pulse, and I guess putting it there could work. However, we then come to the problem of special items. Weapons and accessories in FFXIII have to be customised and crafted by the player, so filling the dungeon with powerful equipment isn't really an option, and if there isn't an incentive to grind through the dungeon, then why bother? 

Long story short, I think there is space for JRPGs like the Final Fantasy franchise to accommodate DLC add-ons like the one described above. I just don't think there's enough space specifically in Final Fantasy XIII.
Posted by Atmanick

I barely wanted to play through the original content. Maybe new content would have you pushing more than one button mindlessly to get through the game.

Posted by wenchwogg

Lame, I logged 108 hours into the game getting the Platinum, I wouldn't mind some more mark missions. Oh well, at least I won't have to get more trophies and potentially not have 100% anymore.

Posted by KaosAngel
@Gliz9 said:
" Apparently this and the release of a 360 version in Japan has gotten some Japanese gamers up in arms, death threats and such. Oh Japan, you so crazy.  "
There's more to it than that.  It has a lot to do with trust and Wada fucking up SE, if Nomura left Square I promise you SE would lose everything.
Posted by oliveshark

From the games in the series I've played i don't feel like DLC fits with the game formula. 
Would you add weapons when there probably are like a three digit amount for each character? 
Adding characters doesn't really work unless they go all out by including them in the story, which seems unrealistic to put it mildly.   

I'm all for adding value to games and would be glad to be proven wrong, but I myself don't see DLC working with any of the released single player focused games in the final fantasy universe.

Posted by Teclo

Unless the DLC would have been an interesting story, likeable characters and an enjoyable battle system, I'm not interested.

Posted by Gliz9

Apparently this and the release of a 360 version in Japan has gotten some Japanese gamers up in arms, death threats and such. Oh Japan, you so crazy. 

Posted by fox01313

Oh Japan, sometimes I really wonder how a country can be full of such tech heads & yet so punished by sucky/no internet.

Posted by Gaughan

The question I want to ask is, does it need DLC?
I havent played the game yet, but is there any need to add any more to the game's story after it is completed?

Posted by Axelhander

Who honestly takes Square-Enix seriously anymore? They're like the Michael Bay of game developers.

Posted by echo13791
@bhhawks78 said:
" I'd consider dlc that cuts the first 25ish hours out. "
agreed. I never beat the game because of how boring (regarding both the gameplay and story) the game was for the first thirty or so hours. Once the game opened up it looked more fun, but wasn't worth it for me. 
Posted by ryanwho

I guess instead of offering DLC that everyone could enjoy they decided to sell an International version some people can enjoy, if they feel like buying the whole game again. Stuck in the 90s like no other. 

Posted by wonderhare

Oh, SquareEnix. Why am I not surprised?

Posted by SockLobster

I didn't even finish the 20 hour tutorial segment so i'm indifferent. I really liked the setting and the art, the story was interesting enough to keep me going, but the combat just didn't excite me after a while. Also grinding for weapon upgrades is lame.

Posted by Wodkaredbubu

I don`t really mind that there are still games out there today not following the trend of charging customers for content after the game released. It`s fine for some games, but it seems like nowadays just about every frigging games has DLC. So to see one big game NOT having it, I kinda like it.

Posted by SatelliteOfLove
@DaBuddaDa said:
" SquareEnix's management is the most disorganized mess I've ever seen in gaming "
"Panic" is now a standard operating procedure for most Japanese publishers.
  • 62 results