89 Comments
  • 89 results
Posted by Video_Game_King
@Hailinel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel:   Starcraft II? I was thinking WoW. And to link this blog with my next, Konami Wai Wai World has Metroid looking thingies in it, as did Mega Man 2. Not that I'll be playing the latter. "
Yes, Starcraft II.  What made you think I was talking about WoW?  It's a WoW-related Easter egg in Starcraft II. "
Take your pick :P.
Posted by Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel:   Starcraft II? I was thinking WoW. And to link this blog with my next, Konami Wai Wai World has Metroid looking thingies in it, as did Mega Man 2. Not that I'll be playing the latter. "
Yes, Starcraft II.  What made you think I was talking about WoW?  It's a WoW-related Easter egg in Starcraft II.
@Hailinel: 

Starcraft II? I was thinking WoW. And to link this blog with my next, Konami Wai Wai World has Metroid looking thingies in it, as did Mega Man 2. Not that I'll be playing the latter.
Posted by Hailinel
@Video_Game_King:   It's not the only Easter egg, though.  Blizzard put a number of little winks and nods to their other games in Starcraft II, and even through one or two Easter eggs from other games, like a Metroid that's visible in one stage (to bring this topic full circle).
@Hailinel: 

That sounds like a crappy Easter egg, then. Also, the fact that I consistently want to read "Night Elf" as "Night Elf Mohawk" only helps to underline how little I know about Blizzard games.
Posted by Hailinel
@Video_Game_King: The dancer in the bar is just a modified female Night Elf WoW character model that's using the female Night Elf /dance emote.
@Hailinel: 

I don't play a lot of Blizzard games (or Halo, which is the first thing I think of when I hear "hologram girl"), so I'm lacking some context.
Posted by Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Apathylad:   Putting the hologram in a bar full of guys doesn't exactly help.   Those are high heels? They look more like regular heels."

What difference does it make who's in the bar?  The inclusion of the dancer was an in-joke Easter egg, not a sign that Blizzard is filled with sexist pigs.
@Apathylad: 

Putting the hologram in a bar full of guys doesn't exactly help. 

Those are high heels? They look more like regular heels.
Edited by Apathylad

I blame G4 for starting this whole sexism debate...I should also point out that in their Starcraft 2 review Webb took issue with the dancing stripper hologram, even though it was placed in a bar surrounded by men, and it was intended as an nod to WoW players. Instead, she goes off on a rant implying that Blizzard employees have issues with women.  

Oh, and as for the high heels, this is artwork from Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 

^^^^
Posted by Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @bonbolapti:   I think it's just the perceived sexualization of her. I think. I don't know, all this knowledge about Other M being divisive is completely new to me. I honestly had no idea. "
Well, it's been that way since the game was released.  I honestly don't think that there's been a more divisive game released all year.  Possibly the past several.
Posted by bonbolapti
@Video_Game_King:  Don't worry, I'm probably in the same boat with you about it.
@bonbolapti: 

I think it's just the perceived sexualization of her. I think. I don't know, all this knowledge about Other M being divisive is completely new to me. I honestly had no idea.
Posted by bonbolapti
@Video_Game_King said:
" @bonbolapti:   Everybody already knew Samus was a girl, myself from firsthand experience. "
"and everyone is freaking out about it now."

(and of course she is, don't act like you're the first to know :P)
@bonbolapti: 

Everybody already knew Samus was a girl, myself from firsthand experience.
Posted by bonbolapti

All I know is that samus is a girl, and everyone is freaking out about it 'now'.

Posted by Symphony
@Hailinel said:
" @Symphony said:
" @Hailinel: The comic (let alone Samus as a character) was out before Master Chief was even an idea on a drawing board. People need to stop comparing her to him. SHE IS NOT A FEMALE COPY OF HIM. I found her interesting in the comic She was a strong female character in a leading role showcased in a magazine aimed almost directly at boys. She was one of the few characters I could look at and think, "I wish I could be like that". She still had an emotional side that was expressed at the end of the short-run series, but also looked in the face of danger and laughed.  Excuse me for wanting a character like that to look up to in a medium where most women at the time were helpless princesses. I'm sorry you already have master chief and Gordon Freeman and that you're sick and tired of those kind of characters.  "
Sorry if I touched a nerve.  I know of the comic of which you speak; it was well written as I recall, but it's not what I consider Samus to be, nor do I necessarily want her to be that character.  While the characterization may have supposedly been accurate at one time, later games following Super Metroid (Zero Mission, Fusion, Other M) all state otherwise, to one degree or another.  (Well, that, and I can't accept any interpretation of the Metroid universe that comes complete with that useless tag-along imbecile Houston.)  The Samus of Other M, despite being referred to as one by one of the characters, is not a princess.  To suggest that the weakness she exhibits in the game suddenly makes her another Princess Peach or Zelda is not an accurate assessment in the slightest.  Samus has always been the opposite of those characters, and nothing that occurs in Other M or any other Metroid game changes that.  She's neither an unstoppable badass, a weak little girl, or an empty shell masquerading as a character.  She's a character with more than just one or two dimensions, and despite what weakness she does show, she still has strength enough to do what it takes even when it hurts.  That isn't weakening or cheapening her character.  Ultimately, it adds to it because it makes her more relatable as a human being.  Someone capable of overcoming her problems rather than never having any problems at all. "
That's not even the point I was making. I'm done here.
@Hailinel said:
" @Symphony said:
" @Hailinel: The comic (let alone Samus as a character) was out before Master Chief was even an idea on a drawing board. People need to stop comparing her to him. SHE IS NOT A FEMALE COPY OF HIM. I found her interesting in the comic She was a strong female character in a leading role showcased in a magazine aimed almost directly at boys. She was one of the few characters I could look at and think, "I wish I could be like that". She still had an emotional side that was expressed at the end of the short-run series, but also looked in the face of danger and laughed.  Excuse me for wanting a character like that to look up to in a medium where most women at the time were helpless princesses. I'm sorry you already have master chief and Gordon Freeman and that you're sick and tired of those kind of characters.  "
Sorry if I touched a nerve.  I know of the comic of which you speak; it was well written as I recall, but it's not what I consider Samus to be, nor do I necessarily want her to be that character.  While the characterization may have supposedly been accurate at one time, later games following Super Metroid (Zero Mission, Fusion, Other M) all state otherwise, to one degree or another.  (Well, that, and I can't accept any interpretation of the Metroid universe that comes complete with that useless tag-along imbecile Houston.)  The Samus of Other M, despite being referred to as one by one of the characters, is not a princess.  To suggest that the weakness she exhibits in the game suddenly makes her another Princess Peach or Zelda is not an accurate assessment in the slightest.  Samus has always been the opposite of those characters, and nothing that occurs in Other M or any other Metroid game changes that.  She's neither an unstoppable badass, a weak little girl, or an empty shell masquerading as a character.  She's a character with more than just one or two dimensions, and despite what weakness she does show, she still has strength enough to do what it takes even when it hurts.  That isn't weakening or cheapening her character.  Ultimately, it adds to it because it makes her more relatable as a human being.  Someone capable of overcoming her problems rather than never having any problems at all. "
You've been compiling all my responses, haven't you :P?
Posted by Hailinel
@Symphony said:
Sorry if I touched a nerve.  I know of the comic of which you speak; it was well written as I recall, but it's not what I consider Samus to be, nor do I necessarily want her to be that character.  While the characterization may have supposedly been accurate at one time, later games following Super Metroid (Zero Mission, Fusion, Other M) all state otherwise, to one degree or another.  (Well, that, and I can't accept any interpretation of the Metroid universe that comes complete with that useless tag-along imbecile Houston.)

The Samus of Other M, despite being referred to as one by one of the characters, is not a princess.  To suggest that the weakness she exhibits in the game suddenly makes her another Princess Peach or Zelda is not an accurate assessment in the slightest.  Samus has always been the opposite of those characters, and nothing that occurs in Other M or any other Metroid game changes that.  She's neither an unstoppable badass, a weak little girl, or an empty shell masquerading as a character.  She's a character with more than just one or two dimensions, and despite what weakness she does show, she still has strength enough to do what it takes even when it hurts.  That isn't weakening or cheapening her character.  Ultimately, it adds to it because it makes her more relatable as a human being.  Someone capable of overcoming her problems rather than never having any problems at all.
@Symphony: 

Not to beat a dead horse, but I can see this spawning as many posts as my Halo 3 blog. Also:

Posted by Symphony
@Hailinel: The comic (let alone Samus as a character) was out before Master Chief was even an idea on a drawing board. People need to stop comparing her to him. SHE IS NOT A FEMALE COPY OF HIM. I found her interesting in the comic She was a strong female character in a leading role showcased in a magazine aimed almost directly at boys. She was one of the few characters I could look at and think, "I wish I could be like that". She still had an emotional side that was expressed at the end of the short-run series, but also looked in the face of danger and laughed. 

Excuse me for wanting a character like that to look up to in a medium where most women at the time were helpless princesses. I'm sorry you already have master chief and Gordon Freeman and that you're sick and tired of those kind of characters. 
@Hailinel: 

Go play Phantasy Star. It's good, except for 3. Generic as hell.

Protagonists? Damn it. I'd come back with more, but I'm stuck between Venture Bros. and Japanese, so fuck it.

No, they should not learn from that, at least how Squall was executed. If we're going with JRPG examples developers should learn from for character development, Fragile Dreams is a bit overlooked in that department. I don't know how to explain it, but Seto's quest to find some type of human companion hits a really good note in general. Squall, on the other hand, is pretty cliché; I've already pointed out how predictable he is in the rainbow-puking post.
Posted by Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel: 

You mean from a gruff, antisocial introvert to some sensitive guy? Alright, I like a challenge.

• Shadow, even if FF6 does sort of reverse it.
  • Rune at least showed hints of this. Also, I realized that the Phantasy Star IV page needs MORE characters.
 That's all I got. But counter-point: "not done before" does not mean good. It means original, but not good. "
Shadow wasn't the central character of Final Fantasy VI.  As for Rune, I'm not familiar enough with the Phantasy Star games to properly discuss them.

Did I say that Squall's characterization was perfect?  No, but given that a character with his personality and growth was especially a rarity in gaming back when Final Fantasy VIII was released, it's noteworthy, and something that other developers should learn from.  And while you may not find his characterization good, there are others that disagree with you.  Some might go overboard in their defense, but Squall is still a well-written character.
@mylifeforAiur: 

Yes, it's Lunarian. Besides, even if I had attached it to the page, that blog had to be more than a year ago; searching for it through Halo 3 would prove a poor move, since it'd inevitably be buried by now.
Edited by mylifeforAiur
@Video_Game_King: Just realized that! Damn you, King. Damn you and all your Lunarian (?) friends!
Posted by DoctorWelch
@Video_Game_King said:
" @antikorper:   Huh? If communism isn't cool, then why do you want me to stop bashing it? "
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMN, You just got skooled sun... 

I should probably never talk again?
@mylifeforAiur: 

No, that blog must remain dead! Besides, I didn't attach it to any pages, so you're kinda screwed.
@Hailinel: 

You mean from a gruff, antisocial introvert to some sensitive guy? Alright, I like a challenge.

• Shadow, even if FF6 does sort of reverse it.
  • Rune at least showed hints of this. Also, I realized that the Phantasy Star IV page needs MORE characters.

That's all I got. But counter-point: "not done before" does not mean good. It means original, but not good.
Posted by mylifeforAiur
@Video_Game_King said:
" @mylifeforAiur:   Big time? This isn't uncommon for me; Singularity got 44, Silent Hill 2 got me 52, and don't get me started on Halo 3. Seriously, don't get me started on Halo 3; that game must be left dead. "
Damn, unfortunately I missed the Halo 3 blog. I might actually check it out right now!
Posted by Hailinel
@Dalai said:
" The story made just enough sense for me to accept the whole thing. Honestly, the story is pretty secondary for me. My problem is with the controls which simply are too awkward for a 3D game. It needed that Nunchuk more than anything else. "
I disagree.  The game plays just fine with the D-pad.  I honestly don't see what it is that makes the lack of analog movement so damning to the experience.

@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel: 

I see growth in a lot of characters, so the growth itself is irrelevant. The change that happens becomes more important, so when you have a cliche growth, things aren't going to be enjoyable. The only condition under which I like Squall is when he's dead, since it's consistent with the narcissist introvert we've known for all of one disc. "

Ah, but to go back to my first point, how many central protagonists in videos prior to Squall actually experienced a similar growth arc?
@Hailinel: 

I see growth in a lot of characters, so the growth itself is irrelevant. The change that happens becomes more important, so when you have a cliche growth, things aren't going to be enjoyable. The only condition under which I like Squall is when he's dead, since it's consistent with the narcissist introvert we've known for all of one disc.
Posted by Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel: 

Sounds like you repeated one of my responses :P.

This is where we split. I don't like Squall, mainly because he and Rinoa pave the path for a predictable "p-word for story." He's this gruff loner who doesn't care for anybody, but by the end of the story, aw, how cute, he's learned to love, and to care about people other than himself! Your description of him as a "jerk, a self-centered brat, a fucking asshole" doesn't exactly persuade me, especially since that describes me so damn well.  I don't have any major problems with Zidane.  Unless she grows high heels and flips the fuck out :P. "
But Squall still shows actual growth of character.  While the path of his growth may be cliche, it's that he grew in any way at all that's important.  Squall isn't the type of character that one normally associates with being the lead in an RPG.  in any other game, he'd be the Vincent Valentine-like side character at best.
@animateria: 

Same here. I could feel this fading back in my "GB guys" post.
Posted by animateria
@Video_Game_King: 

It is irrelevant... I dunno why I said that.

I played quite a bit of Halo Reach last night and I guess that was on my mind a bit too much. 

Anyways back on topic... 

I got nothing.
@mylifeforAiur: 

Big time? This isn't uncommon for me; Singularity got 44, Silent Hill 2 got me 52, and don't get me started on Halo 3. Seriously, don't get me started on Halo 3; that game must be left dead.
Posted by mylifeforAiur

Damn VKG, 53 posts, hitting the big time now my friend. Anyway, glad to see you like Metroid, I'm probably going to be playing this soon, the Wii needs more good games^^

@animateria: 

Like what they did in Fusion? Wait, we covered that. Moving on...

Didn't Vinny or Dave or Drew or one of the GB guys say something about staring at asses for a whole game?

Seems oddly irrelevant.
Posted by animateria
@Video_Game_King: 

Man this stuff is spilling all over the place now haha... Even on our walls.

Anyways, it doesn't need to be Pirates, they just popped up in my mind. But the act of fleeing gives off a sense of weakness. It just seemed like a natural way to create a sense of vulnerability.

Sorry about the MGS4 spoilers about being sexy. But man, they sculpted Snakes ass with extreme care... Makes sense I guess.... Since you're staring at it for most of the game.

Anyways, played a bit of Halo Reach... They sure go for equal opportunity for butt shots of the Noble members female or not. I'm conflicted on that particular issue now, if there are enough butt shots either way, is that cool?
@Dalai: 

Really? I loved the controls, they worked well for me. Except for pointing at the screen, but even then, I partially blame myself for that.
@animateria: 

The vulnerabilities make her a human character who could actually exist. Without them, she just comes off as cliche. It's not really stereotyping to give her emotions or make her vulnerable, since these are defining traits in pretty much everybody.

Why would she need to run from the Pirates? She kicks their ass time and time again, and nobody's pissed about it.

I didn't see that Quick Look, but if you're saying that it's somewhat sexual...:P

I haven't played Guns of the Patriots, so allow me to stick my fingers in my ears and yell really loudly.
Posted by Dalai

The story made just enough sense for me to accept the whole thing. Honestly, the story is pretty secondary for me. My problem is with the controls which simply are too awkward for a 3D game. It needed that Nunchuk more than anything else.

Posted by animateria
@Video_Game_King: 

I don't think I actually said their emotional depiction of Samus was some sort of sexualization outright (Though I think I did have the tone). It's just a bit stereo-typical to create such vulnerabilities in female characters and that's not exactly why I'm interested in Samus as a character. In my personal (ideal?) view, she's a great bounty hunter in her universe. She has an impressive history in surviving through the most difficult of circumstances and getting her missions done. I don't need much more to respect and admire her.

She isn't perfect  though(Needing to be saved by a baby Metroid is one of numerous examples), and having her fail miserably and on the run from Pirates or whatever would make for an interesting plot (and adds a rather cool vulnerability, though I guess Fusion does have elements of this with the X Samus clone whatever thing if my memory serves correctly?)

Well, anyways back to the suit thing. I guess I'm saying a 'wetsuit' itself doesn't come off as sexual to me.  That ocean exploring game QL had girls in wetsuits, and I don't think any of that felt sexual at all. It's a suit that's built for a purpose. But really I haven't seen much of what Team Ninja did to Samus in this regard... Maybe I should be more scared of that (They didn't make her like those MGS4 beauties did they? God I'd hate it).
@animateria: 

No, but what did I say that triggered that response?

Again, there's justification for her having the suit, but isn't it hypocritical to call out emotional sexualization but not physical sexualization?
Posted by animateria
@Video_Game_King said: 

She didn't half unzip her suit down to her navel or anything did she? 

I mean Snake in MGS4 had a suit that... Well, when he's crawling (humping) on the floor you can tell how much care they put into modeling his ass. If that was a girl, would that be overtly sexual? (To be fair, that whole Beauty thing with goo over them and slithering around is a bit too sexual).

But knowing Team Ninja (and that high heel example...), they make everything over sexualized.
@animateria: 

I haven't exactly played Uncharted, but isn't that more of an action movie-esque game? Character depth isn't exactly a priority in those things.

Why not? It's kind of a big part of her personality, considering that humans are largely defined by their emotions, in a sense.

Here's a good hint: never trust what other people say. People suck in general, so why listen to them? They don't know you, so how can they know what you'd like? Don't simply absorb their opinions and make them your own; develop opinions through firsthand experience.

I agree with you on that (there's reasonable justification for it (you can't exactly wear a military uniform in a mech suit, can you?)), but isn't it a bit hypocritical to complain about Samus being sexualized through her emotions, yet glance over the wetsuit? The wetsuit that Nintendo made, but Team Ninja put high heels on?
Posted by animateria
@Video_Game_King:  

I don't know, Nathan Drake didn't need to show a whole lot of emotional baggage (in terms of vulnerabilities) and he worked out fine. I like his character a lot with all it's flaws  and what not. Of course he was more physically vulnerable and barely scraped by through both games (Like all your examples...). But yeah girl with emotional baggage seems...... Well... I don't want to know that part of Samus.

Anyways, mechanically it seems fine so I'm thinking of picking it up down the road (hell, haven't picked up Mario Galaxy after I bought a Wii this year!). But I guess I'm rather turned off of all these dirt being kicked up over how she is represented as a character.

Oh, and I totally don't mind that's she's physically attractive or in a 'wetsuit'. I think people who think that's a overtly sexual depiction are being extreme. I mean I don't particularly think a wetsuit is that hot anyways (Though from what I've read Team Ninja is up to it's usual shenanigans?).
Edited by Video_Game_King
@animateria: 

Vulnerability is a huge part of establishing character. Why do you think every mythical figure has some stupid weakness (Sampson's hair, Achilles' heel, Hercules not being a full god, etc.)? Because making them tanks would be really boring.

I'd still suggest actually playing the game, since it's not fair to criticize a game you haven't played.

Wait, that last quote: never had a speaking role? Then what the hell is Fusion? OH, text? I guess Samus just happened to carry a bunch of sticky notes, and her helmet doubled as a text messenger, then.

And as long as we're speaking of schools, I guess I'm in the school of "her personality in Other M is consistent with past characterizations, so I don't see what the problem is."
Posted by animateria
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Claude: 

A wiidophile? A wiidhead?

@animateria:

Holy shit, I didn't realize how divisive this game was. Let me try to navigate this minefield, where the dirt is made of mines.

For the same reason we can't have a Hitler-esque villain: it's not very believable. You have to expand a character past a single trait to make them somebody; otherwise, you end up with any of Fox's animated series.

NO. FUCKING. NO. Do NOT turn Samus into Master Chief. Who the hell wants that?

Wait, you don't want to play the game? That means you haven't played it, right? Then how can you talk shit about it?

OK, I'll give you that, but consider this: when did Samus last have mystery? Check this shit out and point toward any ambiguity. "

Well, I don't want her to be Master Chief but I also don't think vulnerabilities are a necessary trait. That's the part of Master Chief I'm talking about.

And I'm not bashing the game play you know? Just certain story elements that people constantly bring up just don't appeal to me.

And anyways I know she has a extensive history but I'd like to keep it like a case file rather than going deep down into her emotional garbage (that's not quite at the mystery level but yeah I'd rather not know about that). Admittingly I didn't know about the comics so I'll take that hit.

Anyways from that link I got..

Samus's personality has never been detailed in-depth within the context of the games, a conscious decision by Nintendo to help the player imagine themselves better as the in-game character, as well as allowing them to imagine Samus's personality and backstory in any way they wish. 

--------------------------------

In licensed Metroid material outside of the games, Samus’s personality is largely left up to the writer in question. As a result, her personality has varied considerably between major publications.

--------------------------------

Samus’s lack of defined personality is largely due to the fact that, aside from opening narrations, she has never had a speaking role except in Metroid: Other M. Prior to Metroid: Other M her voice would be represented by text at the beginning narration, as well as throughout Metroid Fusion. Her character depicted in Metroid Fusion, though mostly well received, did garner some criticism from gamers for its depiction of Samus, who they felt should have been better left to their imagination.

I guess I'm just in the school of, "leave it to my imagination".
@Hailinel: 

Sounds like you repeated one of my responses :P.

This is where we split. I don't like Squall, mainly because he and Rinoa pave the path for a predictable "p-word for story." He's this gruff loner who doesn't care for anybody, but by the end of the story, aw, how cute, he's learned to love, and to care about people other than himself! Your description of him as a "jerk, a self-centered brat, a fucking asshole" doesn't exactly persuade me, especially since that describes me so damn well.

I don't have any major problems with Zidane.

Unless she grows high heels and flips the fuck out :P.
Posted by Hailinel
@Symphony said:
" @Video_Game_King said:

" @Symphony said:

giving her a back story, personality and emotion "
See, Oni? Humanization. Also, Other M captures a lot of what @Symphony:  said at the end of her post. "
Cept that it does it in a completely counter-intuitive way that came off as pretty weak to many of us... =/  I think I'm gonna stick with the comic version of her, myself. "
In retrospect, I find that old Nintendo Power comic actually pretty bad.  It does follow some of the established story concepts (Samus being raised by the Chozo), but ultimately, she isn't an interesting character.  Does the canon Samus have weaknesses?  Yes, but emotional frailties and trauma aren't a sexist trait.  James Sunderland of Silent Hill 2 is a male, yet is of such a confused, emotionally ravaged mindset that it's possible for the game to end with his suicide.  And the Harry Mason of Silent Hill:  Shattered Memories has a whole host of issues, not the least of which being that it's impossible to fight back against the monsters that are after him.  He is infinitely a much more compelling, interesting character than that toolbox of a combat veteran that was the protagonist of Silent Hill:  Homecoming.

I don't want Samus to be a Master Chief-esque badass that's in control of every situation she enters.  That's not interesting.  That's one-dimensional and painfully Mary Sue-ish, like Dan Brown living out his fantasies as Robert Langdon in his novels (not the Tom Hanks movie character, the original novel incarnation).  That Samus has people she cares about, that she becomes frustrated, scared, angry and happy when confronted with different situations, that's characterization.  The construction of a three-dimensional character that's more than simply a woman that is also a badass.  Samus is badass as well; she just isn't badass in every situation she finds herself.  It's frustrating to think that people don't want complex characterization.  That they don't want characters that are more than just guns with legs.

Characters like Master Chief and Gordon Freeman are little more than ciphers for the player.  Master Chief may have a voice, but he's portrayed as this ridiculous, nigh-unstoppable one man army that the Covenant pisses their pants at.  Gordon Freeman has no personality at all.  He just does what he's told.  No dialogue, no voice, no thinking of any sort.  As a male, these are not characters that I want representing me.  Nor do I want the testosterone-fueled meatheads of Gears of War.

For all of the shit that gets slung in his direction, Squall is a remarkable character.  Yes, it is a simple characterization of a loner teenager growing out of his shell, but up to that point, how many games had actually tried portraying teenagers with any sense of growth in their maturity?  Sure, there are plenty of RPGs with idealistic, dopey teenagers with never-say-die attitudes; most characters of this sort are about as interesting and worthwhile as Master Chief.  They're not proper characters so much as they are heroic, idealistic ciphers.  Squall had weaknesses; he wasn't some spikey-haired badass.  He could be a jerk, a self-centered brat, a fucking asshole.  He wasn't the heroic type, yet he was our protagonist.  One that grew and matured over the course of the game.

And who did Square follow Squall up with?  Zidane.  God damn it.

But god forbid that a female action game protagonist show any sign of emotional weakness.
  • 89 results