78 Comments
  • 78 results
Posted by Rockdalf

When Bungie lays the smack down everyone wins.  However, automated systems worry me, as they're always flawed.

Posted by Players_Counsel
@wolf_blitzer85: Theoretically, those folks won't be buying DLC, so there's some small potential for lost revenue.  I recognize that: A)  that guy totally doesn't have that kind of influence over 400 people and B) even assuming a high rate of sellthrough on map packs, we're still not talking about enough money to have an impact.  I'm just saying that, just because these 400 fake folks already fake bought the game, that doesn't mean that they're still not potential sources of revenue.
Posted by DrPockets000

lol 

Owned

Posted by Dauragon

Nobody drops the hammer like Bungie. 

Posted by Oldirtybearon
@UncertainOtter said:
" @KingWilly: There's a value to the S-Ranks on Giant Bomb. If some how there was a way to cheat the system and easily get multiple S-Ranks within a few minutes... can you imagine what the reaction would be like?  Or if you could boost your Xbox Live achievement points?  Or, if a person who bought a used, standard edition of Halo: Reach somehow managed to circumvent the system and get himself a flaming helmet? I hope you can see why that would devalue a new Legendary Edition in the real world.  If not, thank god for your naivite... and  I hope you never go into finance.  EDIT: Actually, I take that back; I DO hope you go into finance. "

The problem with that argument is that you're comparing something which is subjective in value (the value of cR and ranks) and something with objective value. People paid for the right to have a flaming head, and they should by no means have to share that with anyone else. Ranking up and unlocking armour and what not has a default value of zero precisely because everyone has access to the same set of armours and effects. I hope I'm making my point clear enough. What I'm basically saying is that comparing boosting rank and unlocks from The Armoury to someone hacking their way into obtaining goods only purchasable through a specific edition of the game are two different things entirely. One being there for everyone to get for free (eventually), and the other only for people who ponied up for the privilege.  

I hope that made sense. I'm running on three cups of coffee and around two and a half hours of sleep.
Posted by TheHBK

I dont care either way.  Cheaters suck ass but Bungie is asking for it by making the cost of unlockables so damn high.  And even then there really isn't much there.  Just a few worthy items but for you to unlock it all, you have to have some kind of dedication or obsession.

Posted by Rahkas

Loving the ban hammer drops of Bungie and Blizzard lately

Posted by ShaneDev

I love that Bungie takes care of serious cheating fairly quickly. These people were manipulating the game code or the network to get cR and thus totally deserved it.  

Posted by This_Dude

I'm not bored by Reach online.  The multiplayer is as great, if not better than Halo:CE.  (speaking as someone that had a network full of lan games running through his apartment building in college for Halo 1 MP)  I play everyday, and the challenges keep giving me something interesting to try and achieve each day.  Maybe i'm having a better time because I have a full team of friends that are always on and ready to go, i'm sure that makes it way more enjoyable then playing solo.

Posted by skadbob
@KingWilly: That's the thing, it's not really free. The cR is supposed to be a currency-- albeit one with no real-world value-- that you earn with how much time you put into the game.

Plus... I think the flaming helmet qualifies in the "subjective value" category. 

It's not like The Legendary Edition is only available to a select group of people. It's available to everyone who would be able to buy an M-rated title. Everyone has a fair chance to get one. It's just that only a select group of people within that population WOULD see ANY value in it and buy it.

In any case, I was just using your logic from your car analogy to express my point.
Posted by OldManLight

I liked this pull quote from twitter. "Bungie teabags 15,000 cheaters"

Posted by ThePhilatron
@WinterSnowblind:  I know what the challenge reset is and I know it's not a legitimate way to get credits. I just think that they should have made the challenges set up in such a way as to prevent this from becoming an issue in the first place and to notify the community that what they were doing was wrong before resetting them without warning. That said I still support Bungie's strong stance against cheating.
Posted by Jackel2072

i made it too Lt colonel last night! i now have Kat's arm unlocked for mulitplayer. its awesome. 

Posted by Advertisement
@OldManLight said:
" I liked this pull quote from twitter. "Bungie teabags 15,000 cheaters" "
Truer words have never been spoken
Posted by m2cks
@OldManLight said:
" I liked this pull quote from twitter. "Bungie teabags 15,000 cheaters" "
Too right, mate.
Posted by Azteck
@This_Dude said:
" I'm not bored by Reach online.  The multiplayer is as great, if not better than Halo:CE.  (speaking as someone that had a network full of lan games running through his apartment building in college for Halo 1 MP)  I play everyday, and the challenges keep giving me something interesting to try and achieve each day.  Maybe i'm having a better time because I have a full team of friends that are always on and ready to go, i'm sure that makes it way more enjoyable then playing solo. "
Yup. What he said. The challenges was a genius idea by Bungie, and playing with friends will make the experience so much better. I just wish I had more friends who didn't rage over everything that goes wrong.
Posted by Meteora

Hahaha, suckers.

Edited by ep_driver
@Mystyr_E said:

"Is it just me or is anyone else bored of this online already? It's only 3 weeks out and I don't have any inkling to play this again for quite awhile "

You are not alone. I really loved it during the beta, but after only two weeks of playing multiplayer on the retail version I got burned out. I played Halo 3 multiplayer A LOT, then got into COD and have been hooked to that franchise for the past 3 years. I think the whole "it's more Halo so if you like Halo you'll enjoy yourself" argument is pretty accurate. The gameplay just doesn't do it for me anymore. So, there are at least two of us who are over it!
Posted by WilliamRLBaker

really? lol your a day or 2 late with this news article...

Posted by EightBitShik
@BradNicholson: Good fuck cheaters.
Posted by sanguis_Malus

Serves the dickheads right.

Posted by big_jon

Owned
Posted by Godlyawesomeguy

My friend came into school today telling me that this exact thing happened to him. Needless to say, I laughed my ass off when I saw the title of this article.

Posted by one_2nd

Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em all!

Posted by Vaancor

You know, I've always had my complaints about the Halo seris as well as some of Bungies decisions, but man do I love how often they use the banhammer like this! Nice to see devs somewhat care.

Posted by iKANNIBAL

I never understood the whole point of ever doing something like this, just like i don't understand the people who cheat to increase their gamescore. Seriously, is it really that important?.

Posted by detectivepbert

It makes sense that the armor doesn't do anything, it would make multiplayer very unbalanced, unless they had within-class matchmaking which theres probably not enough users to support or would mean waiting a long time in the lobby to get a match.   Anyways, what really matters is not credits but straight up beasting.  Gun on gun you're done!

Posted by WrathOfBanja
@Mystyr_E said:
" Is it just me or is anyone else bored of this online already? It's only 3 weeks out and I don't have any inkling to play this again for quite awhile "
I know what you mean. I don't think I'll be coming back until they get better spawns, maps or at least some good customs.
IMHO H3 had way more replayability.