440 Comments
  • 440 results
Edited by Winternet
@takua108: I am clearly missing on something here, but where is that amazing button? 

Edit: Found it!
Posted by Winternet

More questions: 1) Is there any other way to choose a game to bet than going to the hot games section? 2) What happens if the game I place a bet on doesn't get reviewed?

Posted by takua108
@Winternet said:
" More questions: 1) Is there any other way to choose a game to bet than going to the hot games section? 2) What happens if the game I place a bet on doesn't get reviewed? "
  1. Yeah, click the fat "place bet" button on the dashboard, you can search for any game through there.
  2. You can cancel any bet at any time for a 90% refund. Once you've cancelled a bet, you can never bet on that game again.
Posted by Winternet
@takua108: Thanks dude. Keep on with the great work.
Posted by Winternet

Even more questions (ok, it's only one): Can you check your bet with more details? I bet a Jeff 3 star review on The Fight (Spoilers), but in the 3 star the image doesn't change so I am afraid that ici didn't recognize my selection or something. When I go to my The Fight bet, it just says that I bet 1000 points, but it doesn't say on who. That leads me to think: well, when the reviews come up I will probably won't remember that well which were my bets and you can just say I lost all of them and I don't have the means to confirm that. I know this is all way to advance for the current state of the ici, but I like bets, as you probably figured out already (too much some might say?)

Posted by Sepultallica86

i'd like to do this betting. awesome.

Posted by TJ311

id like to get in the beta if its still possible
Posted by takua108
@Winternet said:
" Even more questions (ok, it's only one): Can you check your bet with more details? I bet a Jeff 3 star review on The Fight (Spoilers), but in the 3 star the image doesn't change so I am afraid that ici didn't recognize my selection or something. When I go to my The Fight bet, it just says that I bet 1000 points, but it doesn't say on who. That leads me to think: well, when the reviews come up I will probably won't remember that well which were my bets and you can just say I lost all of them and I don't have the means to confirm that. I know this is all way to advance for the current state of the ici, but I like bets, as you probably figured out already (too much some might say?) "
Yeah, I plan on expanding how the dashboard shows your active bets in the near future. 

@Sepultallica86: @WR311: Alright, go on ahead!
Posted by GioSpy

Could I get in on this action?

Posted by takua108
@GioSpy: You sure could!
Posted by Everyones_A_Critic

Let me in please!

Posted by takua108
@Everyones_A_Critic: Done!
Posted by buwchbach

Could I please try?

Posted by takua108
@buwchbach: Sure thing! You're now on the list. :D
Posted by takua108

i'm calling it is now in open beta! Anyone can now register an account, without having to wait for me to get off my lazy ass to add you to some sort of arcane "beta list." 

If you were on the beta list, don't worry, I have a surprise in store for you... as soon as I get around to implementing it. Patience!

Posted by ShadowVirus
@takua108 said:
" If you were on the beta list, don't worry, I have a surprise in store for you... as soon as I get around to implementing it. Patience! "
I love surprises :) 

Also, quick question to some people, do you think we'll see a Force Unleashed II review at all, I know some games aren't getting reviews because of their being so many game coming out recently. Should I cancel my bet on that review or just wait a bit longer?
Posted by takua108
@ShadowVirus said:
" @takua108 said:
" If you were on the beta list, don't worry, I have a surprise in store for you... as soon as I get around to implementing it. Patience! "
I love surprises :)  Also, quick question to some people, do you think we'll see a Force Unleashed II review at all, I know some games aren't getting reviews because of their being so many game coming out recently. Should I cancel my bet on that review or just wait a bit longer? "
I'd wait for tonight's Bombcast to see if they talk about it at all, or maybe ask Jeff on Formspring. It does seem like they might've skipped that game entirely.
Posted by Winternet
@takua108 said:
" @ShadowVirus said:
" @takua108 said:
I love surprises :)  Also, quick question to some people, do you think we'll see a Force Unleashed II review at all, I know some games aren't getting reviews because of their being so many game coming out recently. Should I cancel my bet on that review or just wait a bit longer? "
I'd wait for tonight's Bombcast to see if they talk about it at all, or maybe ask Jeff on Formspring. It does seem like they might've skipped that game entirely. "
Really? I think Brad is reviewing it. If they have time to do a Smackdown vs Raw review then they have time for a Star Wars review. 

By the way, I got my first bet right. 500 points on Ryan 4-star review and Boom! there it is.
Edited by takua108
@Winternet: Yeah, after hearing the Bombcast, it looks like Brad's reviewing it. Oh, and grats on getting the first bet on the site!

I bet 2000 on Ryan, 4-star, Vanquish and got 4000 back, because I only placed the bet like five days ago (no crazy bonus multiplier). Looks like the system is, indeed, working as intended. 

Also, it was great to hear about ici on this week's Bombcast :D
Posted by Winternet
@takua108: Really? That's nice. Haven't heard this week bombcast yet. Well, if you read / listen / watch everything that comes out of GiantBomb you can detect some of these things. In the QL of SWTFU2 Brad says he is reviewing the game. So, no surprise there. If you want my advice, I placed a 4-star bet.  

And yeah, I didn't also get any multiplier in the Vanquish one. In that case, I also recall Ryan saying he was reviewing it.
Edited by mfpantst

Seriously did none of us bet on vanquish???  Wow.  I and all of us = FAIL.

Edit: I see you saying you bet on vanqush.  Oh- so I reiterate my request to seperate out spending because of bets and winning because of bets.  The leaderboard doesn't look like anyone has gotten winnings on bets yet.

Posted by mosespippy

Just found the easter egg. Nice work on that.  

Whats the deal with >40% of the users not having placed a bet yet? Why'd they all sign up if they aren't going to use it?

Posted by LordAndrew
@mosespippy: I like hoarding my points.
Posted by yoshimitz707

I'm not going to lose any actual quest xp from the site if I do this, right?

Posted by mfpantst
@yoshimitz707 said:
" I'm not going to lose any actual quest xp from the site if I do this, right? "
Actually you will lose it all.  And your virginity and credit score.  So Beware.
Posted by CitizenKane
@yoshimitz707 said:
" I'm not going to lose any actual quest xp from the site if I do this, right? "
No, no, no.  I'm Calling It is entirely separate from Giant Bomb and have no control over what you accomplish here.
Posted by mracoon

Yay, I won 5 points for Vanquish.

Posted by CitizenKane
@LordAndrew said:
" @mosespippy: I like hoarding my points. "
Posted by mfpantst
@CitizenKane said:
" @LordAndrew said:
"
You two must be the people who stuff your dolla bills in mattresses.  Point inflation will get you in the end.
Posted by CitizenKane
@mfpantst said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" @LordAndrew said:
"
You two must be the people who stuff your dolla bills in mattresses.  Point inflation will get you in the end. "
I am waiting to see how me fake bets work out so I can get a feel of how to better predict scores before I will actually bet my points.
Posted by mfpantst
@CitizenKane: Ok now I'm scared.  I was attempting to 'compete' by placing bets, but obviously the depth of your competitive thinking has way outpaced mine.  Damn.  Well in anycase, don't put your money under mattresses.
Posted by CitizenKane
@mfpantst said:
" @CitizenKane: Ok now I'm scared.  I was attempting to 'compete' by placing bets, but obviously the depth of your competitive thinking has way outpaced mine.  Damn.  Well in anycase, don't put your money under mattresses. "
I wish I just had money that I could possibly put under my mattress.
Posted by takua108
@mfpantst said:
" Seriously did none of us bet on vanquish???  Wow.  I and all of us = FAIL.  Edit: I see you saying you bet on vanqush.  Oh- so I reiterate my request to seperate out spending because of bets and winning because of bets.  The leaderboard doesn't look like anyone has gotten winnings on bets yet. "
Well, here's the thing. The leaderboard on the right shows the difference between how much quest XP you've imported and how many points you have. The idea here is that once the game gets going, you won't be constantly be spending 100% of your point, because while you want win big, you also want to keep your position in the leaderboards. I want the left leaderboard (most points, period) to be the "definite" leaderboard, as the mini-leaderboard on the main dashboard uses this data. It's all about who has the most points, after all. 

Despite everything I just said, it might be fun to also track how much you've won, regardless of spending. The only problem with this is that it would show people who got a bet wrong by one star as having "won" points, because you get 25% of your bet back for being one star off, and 10% of your bet back for being two stars off (right now; these are always subject to change). Is this still something you want? Because I think I can make it happen pretty easily.
Posted by mfpantst
@takua108 said:
" @mfpantst said:
" Seriously did none of us bet on vanquish???  Wow.  I and all of us = FAIL.  Edit: I see you saying you bet on vanqush.  Oh- so I reiterate my request to seperate out spending because of bets and winning because of bets.  The leaderboard doesn't look like anyone has gotten winnings on bets yet. "
Well, here's the thing. The leaderboard on the right shows the difference between how much quest XP you've imported and how many points you have. The idea here is that once the game gets going, you won't be constantly be spending 100% of your point, because while you want win big, you also want to keep your position in the leaderboards. I want the left leaderboard (most points, period) to be the "definite" leaderboard, as the mini-leaderboard on the main dashboard uses this data. It's all about who has the most points, after all. 

Despite everything I just said, it might be fun to also track how much you've won, regardless of spending. The only problem with this is that it would show people who got a bet wrong by one star as having "won" points, because you get 25% of your bet back for being one star off, and 10% of your bet back for being two stars off (right now; these are always subject to change). Is this still something you want? Because I think I can make it happen pretty easily. "
So reading your 1st paragraph I think I am interpreting the leaderboards differently than you, which is totally ok by me.  What you described in the second paragraph is pretty much exactly what I'm thinking of.  Even counting winnings by being 'off' on a bet is fine, because techincally that's winning.  Its like playing poker and you split the pot.  That split is still winning (or if someone goes all in early in the hand and has the best cards, but the second best cards bet further in the hand and therefore won some of the pot above the 1st person's bet).  

Also- on having the main leaderboard being the main list, in my mind that gives credit to the best quest completionist, not the best prognosticators of GB review scores.  However, when I try to work out a prognosticatory rating leaderboard I'm not 100% sure how to go about this.  

Oh- ok so some thought has gotten me to this: You calculate a player's accuracy as some form of the following:

Weighted Average Review Bet Error = Sum(Each Bet Accuracy*Each Bet ici Value)/Sum(Total value of ici bet)

You'd have to make this filter for just 'completed' bets (excluding future bets or refunded bets where the review did not happen or game got cancelled).  So that would give an average review guess error per user weighted by their bet ammounts (that way a huge bet that went way wrong has more weight or vice versa).  Then users could compare themselves to each other in a more relative space (ie. users with less quest xp could still rank as high as users with more quest xp).

I don't know, maybe that's not what you're going for, but that could be cool and a decent way to display general competiveness.
Posted by mfpantst

You be on the bombcast.  good job.

Edited by MattyFTM
@takua108 said:

"Despite everything I just said, it might be fun to also track how much you've won, regardless of spending. The only problem with this is that it would show people who got a bet wrong by one star as having "won" points, because you get 25% of your bet back for being one star off, and 10% of your bet back for being two stars off (right now; these are always subject to change). Is this still something you want? Because I think I can make it happen pretty easily. "

A leaderboard just tracking winnings would be awesome. MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!! (please).
Posted by mfpantst
@MattyFTM said:
" @takua108 said:

"Despite everything I just said, it might be fun to also track how much you've won, regardless of spending. The only problem with this is that it would show people who got a bet wrong by one star as having "won" points, because you get 25% of your bet back for being one star off, and 10% of your bet back for being two stars off (right now; these are always subject to change). Is this still something you want? Because I think I can make it happen pretty easily. "

A leaderboard just tracking winnings would be awesome. MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!! (please). "
despite my long winded reply, I also agree that the simple solution is enough for me too.
Posted by takua108
@mfpantst said:
So reading your 1st paragraph I think I am interpreting the leaderboards differently than you, which is totally ok by me.  What you described in the second paragraph is pretty much exactly what I'm thinking of.  Even counting winnings by being 'off' on a bet is fine, because techincally that's winning.  Its like playing poker and you split the pot.  That split is still winning (or if someone goes all in early in the hand and has the best cards, but the second best cards bet further in the hand and therefore won some of the pot above the 1st person's bet).    Also- on having the main leaderboard being the main list, in my mind that gives credit to the best quest completionist, not the best prognosticators of GB review scores.  However, when I try to work out a prognosticatory rating leaderboard I'm not 100% sure how to go about this.    Oh- ok so some thought has gotten me to this: You calculate a player's accuracy as some form of the following:  Weighted Average Review Bet Error = Sum(Each Bet Accuracy*Each Bet ici Value)/Sum(Total value of ici bet)  You'd have to make this filter for just 'completed' bets (excluding future bets or refunded bets where the review did not happen or game got cancelled).  So that would give an average review guess error per user weighted by their bet ammounts (that way a huge bet that went way wrong has more weight or vice versa).  Then users could compare themselves to each other in a more relative space (ie. users with less quest xp could still rank as high as users with more quest xp).  I don't know, maybe that's not what you're going for, but that could be cool and a decent way to display general competiveness. "
Wow, okay, yeah, these are some great ideas. I really like the "accuracy" thing, and that'll probably be the fourth leaderboard, eventually, when I get around to working out how to code all that. I can see now that having a "high score," while still important, probably isn't as important as accuracy, or points won, in the long run.

In the meantime, yeah, I said "fourth" leaderboard, because I added a "most points gained" leaderboard, due to semi-popular demand! Look at me, I'm in second place! :D
Posted by mfpantst
@takua108: Lol.  That's so awesome.  Lol'ing because while I was waiting for you to reply I thought I'd go ahead and check out the website and you had already pushed the changes to create 4 leaderboards.  Also, depending what you think of list length you could consider having the leaderboard page post the top 20 in each category and have a link to each full list on the page.  Finally, I am pretty damn excited about the website and kudos to you for making something that they talked about a good bit at the end of the bombcast.  I loved the whole competition between reviewers for bets part!
Posted by MattyFTM
@takua108:  I just noticed that I had a bet on Vanquish that had Ryan down for 4 stars, yet I haven't got any winnings from it:

Posted by Winternet

I am in 3rd! Goddammit, I didn't think they would actually review Game Dev Story. And my bet on vanquish was a small one. Like every other one, I guess. What's the "net winnings" leaderboard? One guy has a 1 and then everyone has 0. A most bets won leaderboard should also be in the making. That would show who is the best. Even if they don't have much xp.

Posted by takua108
@MattyFTM: Because of the way it's set up right now, you have to click the fat "check bets" button. Doing so goes through all of your bets and checks to see if any of them have been reviewed yet, and, if so, compensates you for them. It's kinda clunky and I'm looking at better ways to do it, to be sure.
Posted by MattyFTM
@takua108: Ah, yeah, I should have thought it was something like that. Thanks.
Posted by Winternet

Another question: Apparently, when you place your bet you can change every reviewer score. Am I right? How does the ici decide which reviewer I am betting on?

Edited by takua108
@Winternet: If I place a bet on Call of Duty: Black Ops for Brad 5, Jeff 4, Ryan 3, Vinny 2, I will win the bet if Brad gives it a 5 OR Jeff gives it a 4 OR Ryan gives it a 3 OR Vinny (or Alex, or anyone else) gives it a 2. There's no penalty for guessing a score for every reviewer, and in fact I'd recommend it, just to keep all your bases covered. 

I just fixed a bunch of performance issues, namely cases where a billion API calls were being made for no reason. I'm considering caching game titles in my database to even further increase performance, so, for example, checking the "hot games" page doesn't make 30 API calls every time, etc.
Posted by mfpantst
@takua108: Sorry 'bout the API calls.  I set up an auto-dialer once I got my hands on the 800 number.
Posted by chmod

This might be the greatest thing ever.

Posted by Grissefar

I'm going to play this. I just heard it on the Bombcast.

Posted by DrJota

Just got into it.Gotta say,novel concept.Anyhow,an idea would be to maybe put a betting line on the front page(i.e. games with the most bets,the average bet for a certain number of games both ratings wise and currency wise) and maybe even an over under on a particular game.And now I've turned into a guy who bets fake currency on game reviews....and comments on it.Well,in any case,good work so far and godspeed!

Edited by Winternet
@takua108: If that's so, then you should make it so if someone only bets in one guy, one review then it gets a bonus or something. I mean, for what you're saying we're only betting on the score of the game and not on the one who reviews it + the score. If that's right, why put the reviewers? There's no sense. If we're betting only on the score it gets way more easy. C'mon, realistically, black ops will be a 4-star, Dance Central a 5-star, AC: Brotherhood a 4-star. There's a 90% chance of all these scores I said will become true.
  • 440 results