@lilburtonboy7489:

@Crocio:

Thanks!
Posted by Crocio
Rather Amazing!
Posted by lilburtonboy7489

such an awesome post dude

Posted by Tsoglani

I actually enjoyed reading this; I found it interesting that you didn't expect PC to be the most active platform for gaming.

Posted by 1p
@Spoonman671:
haha, nicely done sir.
Posted by Spoonman671

That's a Gelada, which is no longer considered a baboon.  Sorry, but this is the only use I ever get out of the primatology courses I took in college.

Posted by Video_Game_King
@Bib said:
" @Ygg:What software are you using to do this? "
I'm pretty sure it's called MobyGames :P.
Posted by tourgen

baboons are awesome.  the data is pretty cool too.  that's a whole lot of games / year. 

Posted by 1p
@Ygg:
What software are you using to do this?
Posted by 1p
@CaLe said:
" I thought about starting something like this but the fact that I forget so many of the games I have played in my lifetime puts me off it."

Yeah, legacy data is a concern. But you can't recall everything. You can try to piece the data together by looking at time stamps on old savegame files, or finding receipts from when you bought the game, stuff like that. But you're not likely to be able to unearth a complete record of every game you ever played if you've been into games for a long time (like most of the people here obviously).

It's best to just start taking notes now, and commit to it. 15 or 20 years down the line, that will still amount to a lot of juicy data.

Posted by CaLe

I thought about starting something like this but the fact that I forget so many of the games I have played in my lifetime puts me off it. I only have a list of games I have finished, which I only started about a year after I got my 360..

Posted by Sooty

I'm doing a similar thing to this now actually, though mine is a database with information about each game.

Posted by Eric_Buck

That is far too much work for a fun hobby.

Posted by Tordah

Damn, and I thought I was crazy when I started to retroactively add hours played to old games I've played through my life on my Raptr account. I love random stats for pointless personal stuff.

Posted by PenguinDust

All I could think of was this... 

And how many games did I finish in 2008?  Anyone? Anyone?
 I did read the posting though (well, most of it).
Posted by armaan8014

That genesis on the chart... reminded me of-

"PHIL COLLINS BROKE ANOTHER GENESIS!"

Posted by Bullitus

That's actually a really cool idea. So cool that I immediately started my own spreadsheet project.

Posted by Icadae

You know, I might just start doing this in 2011 - If anything, to keep track of my records for future purposes. However, I don't see how you can not finish games, thats just so far from the way I play my games. I only have 1 unfinished game, and that's because my old console ate the disc, and I haven't been able to find another copy. 

Thanks for the read.

Posted by Cwaff

All very interesting, keep it up!

Posted by 1p
@fishmicmuffin said:
"Do you consider yourself as the type of gamer that starts games but doesn't play them to completion?"

Actually not; i want to finish everything. But i'll still quit sometimes if i dislike a game, or if there are newer games i would rather devote my time to.

That's part of the reason behind these numbers. The other part are games that don't have an end point, so i never mark them as finished. DJ Hero 2 is a recent example, i played the final setlist in Empire mode a few days after i got the game, but i don't recognize that as "finishing the game" because i'll keep playing it.

Posted by catpowerd

Great post! Could have used more charts though.

Posted by GlenTennis

Eff the haters, they just gonna hate.

This is really cool, though I've never done anything like this. It's all in the shambley tower of moldy drawers that is my brain.

Posted by LLJK_Jasta

I am not the type to keep statistics like this, but I think it is awesome that you did.  ^_^

Posted by csl316

as a database administrator, i sadly find this fun and exciting

Posted by fishmicmuffin

I was surprised to see that your number of finished games never topped your number of started games in any given month. Do you consider yourself as the type of gamer that starts games but doesn't play them to completion? Or is it just something else entirely accounting for this?

Posted by 1p
@nobull6 said:
" @Bib: Thanks for sharing. I'm incorporating that data into my current spreadsheet to get set for next year. See you in twelve months and I'll share what I've got! "

Cool. I'll check it out if you notify me.

Thanks for the positive comments, everyone.
Posted by Dalai

Well you've put my love for data to shame.

Posted by smudo

That is all sorts of awesome. I use Collectorz to manage my games collection (450 games so far) and it's got a few graph/statistic options that I've always wanted to completely fill out (release date, publisher, metacritic rating, etc), but I can never find the time.
The most I've ever gotten around to is filling out the release year for every game, and that took an entire rainy evening.

Posted by nobull6
@Bib: Thanks for sharing. I'm incorporating that data into my current spreadsheet to get set for next year. See you in twelve months and I'll share what I've got!
Posted by crusader8463

Cool. I always wanted to do something like this with my games, but I never get past making a few column titles.

Posted by RagingLion
I thought this was really cool and I found it really easy and compelling to read too.  Quite a project to keep that all going but the longer it goes on the more interesting it will be, especially for you personally.

@EVO:   Dude, Demitri Martin hellz yes.  I love that 'If I' show.  That palindrome poem is crazy.
Edited by 1p
@nobull6 said:

"Would you be willing to share your file? I'd like to see how you organized everything. "

Don't want to share the sheet because it's a bit of a mess right now and i want to clean it up first and make some revisions, but here are the headers i use:

1. game title
  2. status - E.g. upcoming, now playing, done playing, backlog, and so on. Useful for sorting.
  3. platform
  4. release dates - Separated between regions. I'm in Europe, so i sometimes need to import games if i want them earlier. Seeing both domestic release dates and US or Japanese release dates side by side helps me gauge which version to get.
  5. release date confirmed? - If i enter games that are too far out to have a release date, or games that have a tentative release date ("Fall 2011"), i still enter an approximated release date. That way, games still show up on the appropriate spot on my calendar, which the spreadsheet is linked to.
  6. date started playing
  7. date finished playing
  8. an indicator for multiple playthroughs
  9. game clock - After finishing the game, if the game provides it.
  10. notes - I put stuff like completion percentage here (e.g. finished Lost and the Damned at 68.75% and didn't go back), or difficulty setting. Information that seems relevant, but isn't covered by any of the other headers.

Hope that helps.

Posted by EVO

I dunno what's nerdier: the fact that you collected all this data, or that I found it really interesting. Reminds me of this Demetri Martin special: 

Edited by 1p
@The_Philosopher said:

"I'd say a service that does that sort of thing could be really popular."

I agree! I'd totally make it myself if i had the means. It'd be cool if everything was fully automated, but the console makers would have to allow that. The achievement tracking stuff on this site is going in the right direction. 

Posted by nobull6

Love it. 

I was so happy that the Wii has those little messages about time played, but I wish that was exportable, and I wish the other consoles did something similar. I keep track of my achievement totals, but I have nothing like this available. You have inspired me to do something similar starting in 2011. I could probably pick out start and end dates for games based on achievement timestamps on the 360, but will probably just do this going forward. 

Would you be willing to share your file? I'd like to see how you organized everything.

Posted by leebmx

This is interesting but I always think I would be scared if I collected any data of this sort. Just looking at the Time Played clock on games makes me wince sometimes. I also think that if you collect data in thie much detail about you life you can end up spending more time analysing your life than living it.  
 Statistics can be very interesting though.

Posted by The_Philosopher
@Bib:  Neat stuff, I'd like to see my stats for that sort of thing. Maybe I'll do it next rainy day. I'd say a service that does that sort of thing could be really popular. Some people may look at this and think your a little nuts. I just think it means that you found an interesting way to entertain yourself and you enjoy charts. I fucking love charts and diagrams, there's nothing wrong with it.

Posted by 1p

Don't be dicks on my blog, guys.

Posted by Jack268
@apeman said:
" @Jack268 said:
" @apeman said:
" you have likely provided all the necessary evidence of some sort of mental illness.  "
A fondness for collecting statistics about your life is a mental illness? I suppose everyone who has a clear cut budget is a nutter then. "
nice try. "
nice argument
Posted by apeman
@Jack268 said:
" @apeman said:
" you have likely provided all the necessary evidence of some sort of mental illness.  "
A fondness for collecting statistics about your life is a mental illness? I suppose everyone who has a clear cut budget is a nutter then. "
nice try.
Posted by 1p

Added a part about multiple playthroughs.

Posted by Jack268
@apeman said:
A fondness for collecting statistics about your life is a mental illness? I suppose everyone who has a clear cut budget is a nutter then.
Posted by Kontrapunkt

DATA!!!!!!

That's neat, being a PC game player, I knew that after reading this and thinking back, the amount and type of games that I would play wouldn't really be very different but after thinking a bit more, there is a diversity in what can be found on my PC, and there really is a subtle shift in the sort of PC market not just Counter-Strike, Starcraft machines, or what have you.

Edited by Jeust

Nice stats. ^^  

I like them, but I wouldn't have the patience to do something like that. I imagine the amount of hours that flew out of the window to do it. Great job though! 

@apeman said:

Maybe a bit of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  

Everyone has their poison. 
Edited by 1p
@apeman:

You're saying the baboon part was over the line?

@matti00 said:

"That was actually really interesting to read, I'd love to be able to read that sort of data about myself, not only to do with with games but also with other aspects of my life."

Thanks. I do that as well, and it's totally worthwhile. There are various sites dedicated to this topic.
Posted by apeman

you have likely provided all the necessary evidence of some sort of mental illness. 

Posted by matti00

That was actually really interesting to read, I'd love to be able to read that sort of data about myself, not only to do with with games but also with other aspects of my life.
Unfortunately, I do not have Asperger's Syndrome.

Posted by 1p

@ethan:

I see what you did there.

Posted by ethan

Yes, but where are the pie charts? 

• 57 results