11 Comments
Posted by okoctothorpe

So after watching the Endurance Run of Deadly Premonition (shamefully, most episodes more than once), I got hooked.  I'm too impatient to wait for the next Endurance Run, so I started looking for playthroughs with good commentary. 

I've been watching Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem on YouTube - I'm a sucker for good horror games.  Wait, could we really call Deadly Premonition a GOOD horror game?  It was a good horror story.  It was weird enough to be a Stephen King plot, although with a lot less euphemisms for "vagina."  I was compelled enough to want to experience the story again and to look for clues I had missed the first (and second!) time around.  But I was damn thankful I wasn't playing the game myself - the controls seemed awful at best, the combat was tedious, and it looked frustrating overall.  Can you be considered an exemplar of "good horror game"  if you're missing the criteria of being a "good game"?  But we can't forget that this is a $20 game - for $20, it was pretty good.  And it was funny as hell, if unintentionally.  It was successful as an enjoyable way to pass the time, so does that count as "good game"?

So back to Eternal Darkness.  The playthrough I'm watching is entertaining, but the commentary is somewhat.... lacking.  It sounds like the player is a fourteen year old girl.  Not that there's anything wrong with being a fourteen year old girl - I've been one myself and I see them in my classroom every day.  That's probably part of the problem - listening to the commentary reminds me of  being at work.  And it's not nearly as funny as the Giant Bombers.  Eh, I'll keep looking and see what's out there.  Worse come to worse, I can just wait til the next Endurance Run.

tl;dr: 
1.  What makes a good game?
2.  Any playthroughers you'd recommend?

Posted by Cincaid

I honestly think what got so many hooked up on Deadly Premonition was simply Ryan, Vinny, Brad and Jeff playing and commentating on it. Often with hilarious results. The game sold very (very) poorly both in the US and recently in its first week in EU, but still has that almost cult following that can only come out of an Endurance Run.  

I live in Sweden, and as I said it was recently released here in EU. Sadly it's a lot more expensive for me than it was for you over in the US, but I'm fairly sure I'll pick it up one day to "relive" those hilarious Endurance Run moments myself. What can I say, I'm a sucker for GiantBomb. 

Didn't really answer your questions I'm afraid, I just like typing. :)

Edited by Jack268

1. Good gameplay. Kinda don't wanna elaborate on this because this post would be pages long but yeah. It works like this, at least for me: gameplay > story >graphics  
 And naw, DP wasn't a good game. It was a good and funny story but there are more entertaining ways to pass time.
2. Our fine bro hamst3r:  http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance and  http://www.youtube.com/nanosuitninja if you feel like getting your crysis skillz dissed.

Posted by zityz

Playing Eternal Darkness is a LOT better than watching someone else play it.  

I like to watch walkthroughs of gameplay with people who don't say anything. No one wants to hear their horrible or shitty banter that they think is cool while playing. GIant Bomb being the exception of course.

Posted by okoctothorpe
@Jack268:   hey thanks, I'll check him out!
Posted by chocolaterhinovampire

I love ED...such a great game.

Posted by animateria

CHECK OUT HELLOWEEN4545 HE'S AN AWESOME LPER. 

OH... and oops. Didn't mean to Capslock. Work PC has that on. 

Just don't watch FEAR or Alien VS Predator... Those were boring. 

Watch Call of Cthulu, Prenumbra, Cryostasis, Amnesia, metro 2033. 

I personally liked Call of Cthulu best but he's always fun to watch. 

Posted by ahoodedfigure

Game commentaries go all over the place. I often prefer just to watch a game without comments at all, except maybe in text. I don't think I could have stood to see Shadow of the Colossus with anyone babbling over that beautiful soundtrack. I guess some games need commentary, especially complicated ones, but some deserve to be felt more than explained...

And don't get me started on the self-absorbed commentators who think Random Internet Person cares about what's going on in their lives as they talk over actual game stuff. That's what vlogs or whatever are for, people!

Edited by Roomrunner

I cannot recommend Amnesia: The Dark Descent enough.  It is definitely the scariest game I've played in a long time.  Unlike Deadly Premonition, there are no moments of comedy or light-heartedness.  You are in deep shit the entire game, and can be running for your life at any given moment.  Also, there is a sanity system in it, like Eternal Darkness, so you should love it. 
Don't know how well it generally works in watching someone play it on youtube, but as I was playing the game myself, I was watching this guy's "Let's Play" of it, just to see if there was a different way to do things.  He does a few bad dick jokes in the middle of it, but I thought he took the game seriously, and didn't just MST3K it, like most terrible "Let's Play"s do. 

It's hard to find a good playthrough of a horror game because  
A) Most people crack jokes during it, because their too self-conscious to allow themselves to get scared on camera. 
B) Almost all the best horror games were made in the last generation, and further back.  Everyone has played the best Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and Clock Tower games by now.  If it's not a virgin playthrough of a horror game, it isn't really worth it.   
C) RE4 changed things.  Most console horror games now are shooters.  It used to be "I don't want to open this door, I know something terrible is behind it."  Now it's "I can't wait to kick the ass of whatever is behind this door!"

Posted by Jeust
@Jack268 said:
1. Good gameplay. Kinda don't wanna elaborate on this because this post would be pages long but yeah. It works like this, at least for me: gameplay > story >graphics  
 And naw, DP wasn't a good game. It was a good and funny story but there are more entertaining ways to pass time.
2. Our fine bro hamst3r:  http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance and  http://www.youtube.com/nanosuitninja if you feel like getting your crysis skillz dissed.
Hamst3r has a Dead Space 2 playthrough, so if you're into horror games you should check that out. 

For me a good horror game is composed of great pacing and backdrop. It doesn't have to have many scares, if the games shakes your frailty hard during the playthrough.