60 Comments
  • 60 results
Posted by Jeff

OK, this sounds kind of awesome. The SNK PLAYMORE USA CORPORATION (seriously, they write in all-caps like that) announced plans to bring a gang of Neo Geo games to the PlayStation Network in the form of the Neo Geo Station. The available information isn't clear about how this will manifest once it launches. I'm assuming it'll surface as a separate section of the PlayStation Store, rather than requiring you to download a Game-Room-like front-end first. But I've got an e-mail in to ask about that, so we'll find out soon enough.

Anyway, the Station will launch on December 21 and will allow PS3 owners to purchase ten different Neo Geo games for $8.99 each. The PSP side of things will start a bit smaller, with only Metal Slug and Fatal Fury appearing on 12/21. The PSP versions will be sold separately for $6.99 a pop. Where appropriate, the PlayStation 3 versions will be updated to allow online play. Multiplayer on the PSP will be limited to local players only.

The new release of Samurai Shodown will feature a sound player. 
The initial batch of games due this year is a pretty decent cross-section of the early Neo Geo catalog. Here's the list:

More games will be added to the line in 2011.

Xbox Live Arcade has been getting Neo Geo games for some time now, but they're always spaced apart and are, unsurprisingly, more focused on the fighting games and, on occasion, Metal Slug. Now... I don't think that League Bowling is a very good deal at nine bucks, but it's a great sign that they're digging deep. This means we could eventually end up with a version of Waku Waku 7 with online support. Or Neo Turf Masters. Or Money Puzzle Exchanger. Or Windjammers! The depths of the Neo Geo library go... pretty deep. Seriously, it gets scary down there.

Forget the multiplayer. I'd pay nine bucks for a fresh copy of Neo Drift Out. But then, I have problems.
Edited by Jambones

Actually sounds neat.  Perhaps what Game Room should have been. Also Metal Slug <3

Posted by Red12b

metal slug is awesome

Posted by PufferFiz

MY BODY IS READY

Posted by FinalDasa

Ok, it's official. I need a PS3.

Posted by Hangnail
@Mordukai: Doubt it, most of them are too young to realize what they're not getting...

I foresee my PSP's memory card being full to the brim...!
Posted by Yummylee

Seems rather pricey, but non the less a nifty feature.

Posted by steelknight2000

Bring on the retro game quick looks! 

Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar

When I saw this headline I was really hoping that Mark of the Wolves would be on here, but sadly it is not :(

Posted by buhssuht

Is this gonna make Jeff happy?

Edited by ptys

The console war is alive and kicking which means more stuff for us! I currently have Foxtel cable TV running through my X360 via WiFi and it's really good!

Posted by ThePhantomnaut

I DEMAND GAROU AND KOF98.

Posted by Korolev

NEO GEO RIDES AGAIN!

Posted by mordukai
@Hangnail: Damn it. Went to edit and hit the delete button. 
Edited by Hot_Karl
@ThePhantomnaut said:

" I DEMAND GAROU AND KOF98. "

Oh fuck yes, I love me some Garou. I already own it on 360, but to play that game on a decent d-pad would make my heart sing. And 98 too, that game is stellar. 

EDIT: Also, Baseball Stars 2 > Super Baseball 2020 > Baseball Stars Professional. End of story.
Posted by Skald
Posted by GS_Dan

Metal Slug on MY PSP? Yush please <3

Posted by Hangnail
@Mordukai:  Damn that sucks...
Posted by Dizzyhippos

Isn't money puzzle exchanger already on that ps1 import store?

Posted by johnLongview

EFF YES WINDJAMMERS. 

I got... into that game on a totally-legit...erm...PC version during college. No idea why.

Posted by Geralt

Should I wait for "Sam-Show II"? Or the first one is the definitive one.
Sam-Show...I hope I get that right :1

Posted by gosukiller

I already envision the quick looks:
Jeff starts the first quick look with "Ooooh, the potential!"
He then starts quick look nr.8 jaded by all the Intellivision games.

Posted by Winternet

I'll be waiting for Samurai Shodown 2 and King of Fighters 98. And Windjammers, of course.

Posted by Rmack
@VinceNotVance:  I own Garou in 3 different formats. It probably won't stop me from buying it again.

@darpa: 1 is a good game and all, but you'll be wanting 2.

Personally, I think this sounds pretty awesome, and like I said, I'm not above buying these things again...but as Jeff mentioned, I'd like to see some crazy stuff hitting this service, and not just the usual.
Posted by Stepside

Omg Metal Slug.  So excited.

Posted by FCKSNAP

This has been a long time coming. There's been multiple format sorting on the PSP for about a year now and they've been unused. Totally buying all the good ones!

Posted by gingertastic_10

FUCK YEAH WHO ELSE IS GETTING THAT BOWLING GAME!!!!??

Posted by HaroldoNVU

whoa?! Waku Waku 7?? Sign me up for that. Also, I'd like all Samurai Shodown,  both The Last Blade and Garou: Mark of the Worves[sic]. No onions, please.

Posted by Edmundus

Garou pluz.

Posted by fjor

alpha mission 2 = best space shooter ever made ( i lost all my money as a kid in the arcades....ahhh old times :) )

Posted by TurboMan

no on has ever wrote anything for the league bowling page?

Edited by SomeJerk

I'm going to wait and see about this. If it's not an accurate emulation I'm just going to buy an MVS motherboard and fill a shelf with carts again :/

@fjor said:

" alpha mission 2 = best space shooter ever made ( i lost all my money as a kid in the arcades....ahhh old times :) ) "

It's up in the top two in my heart now (#1 is Viper Phase-1), the audio and the visuals and the gameplay is way up there, especially with how enemies actually *aim* at you rather than spew memorizable batterns. Gave it so much playtime when I had it. Here's a five-six year old video I made of it on one of my cabinets complete with wonderful clicking from sticks and buttons:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPftIqcCNK8
Posted by RecSpec

Money Idol Exchanger was released as a PS1 Import classic a couple weeks ago

Posted by the_mystical_ninja

A decent start but it's going to need more better games very soon after it's launch. This includes games that were released on other platforms - Arcade and other consoles after the Neo Geo ceased to be.

Posted by Poki3

Sounds nice, but also too expensive for old games like this, even if they're mostly classics.

Edited by Jayzilla

$9.00 a pop for those games on the PS3 is pretty laughable. Those games were great in their time, but they should be like $2.50 each. To each his own I guess, but if you got all ten of those games for $90.00 would that feel like a good deal to you?

Posted by teh_pwnzorer

NeoGeo is awesome. =]

Posted by yyZiggurat

I've hoping for Last Blade 1 and 2.  I'm not very good at fighting games but I loved that series' style.

Posted by MackGyver

Last Blade series! I played the hell out of those.

Posted by Battletoad

I wish they would put all the Metal Slug games out at once. Especially 4,5,6  because although all of those are available in MS Anthology, it is incompatible with PS3, and I will not buy another PS2 console for them.  MS 1,2,3 have all been available for quite a while on XBLA and VC, so those should wait IMO.

4&5 were released as double packs for both PS2 and Xbox, but the Xbox version is incompatible with 360. The PS2 version DOES work on PS3, but is unavailable online from Gamestop, and Ebay wants 20-25 bucks for it, which is too much, and I don't really want to buy physical PS2 discs as we near 2011, anyway. 

As far as I know, MS Anthology is the only way to even get MS6 at all.  

--PS It would be really nice if MS 1-6 on PSN didn't end up costing 3-4 times more than what Anthology goes for new and sealed. Feels like a price gouge for SNK's incompetance at making a very late PS2 release not work on PS3. Maybe they even did it on purpose, planning to overcharge for them seperately on PS3, since it would be the only way for PS3 owners to play them all.
Posted by RiotBananas

When I first saw the picture I thought this was a massive blog post by Jeff.

Posted by MisterMouse

Are we going to se "Station" Quick looks? because "people need to know!"

Posted by ThatFrood

I can't wait for Can't Stop the Neo Geo Station Quick Looks.

Posted by DukeTogo
@Jayzilla said:
" $9.00 a pop for those games on the PS3 is pretty laughable. Those games were great in their time, but they should be like $2.50 each. To each his own I guess, but if you got all ten of those games for $90.00 would that feel like a good deal to you? "
It's a dollar more than the Virtual Console releases and those are straight up ROMs with nothing added.  I've got all these games via collections on other platforms and a few NEO GEO proper titles, but this adds online play and the ability to use your various arcade sticks and whatnot on the PS3 so if I cared about that it would be worth it for a few of the fighting games.

Also, some online Neo Turf Masters would be awesome.  ON THE GREEN!
Posted by Skogen

Its good to see SNK paying more attention to the PS family of systems. XBL has Garou, Battle Coliseum and '02UM while all PSN has is the shitty PS1 port of KoF 99.

Posted by Kontrapunkt

NEOGEO Metal Slug that isn't a billion dollars!!!!!! Oh My God!

Posted by Nettacki
@Skogen said:
" Its good to see SNK paying more attention to the PS family of systems. XBL has Garou, Battle Coliseum and '02UM while all PSN has is the shitty PS1 port of KoF 99. "
Well that, and the Orochi saga for PSP.
Posted by Undeadpool

Sweeeeet. Looks like I may have to hook my PS3 back up. 

Edited by fjor
@somejerk said:

" I'm going to wait and see about this. If it's not an accurate emulation I'm just going to buy an MVS motherboard and fill a shelf with carts again :/

@fjor

said:

" alpha mission 2 = best space shooter ever made ( i lost all my money as a kid in the arcades....ahhh old times :) ) "

It's up in the top two in my heart now (#1 is Viper Phase-1), the audio and the visuals and the gameplay is way up there, especially with how enemies actually *aim* at you rather than spew memorizable batterns. Gave it so much playtime when I had it. Here's a five-six year old video I made of it on one of my cabinets complete with wonderful clicking from sticks and buttons:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPftIqcCNK8 "
ohhh mannn that music...those sounds...........<3 <3

EDIT  : I did not even see that last comment on youtube on the vid was mine....hahaha.......epic

COOL
Posted by Spike94

Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug, possibly KoF, and whatever new discoveries I make! Stoked for this.
  • 60 results