284 Comments
Edited by sear
@Abyssfull said:

" I doubt they'll catch it's The Duke who's voicing the lead character. And oh lordy do they need to check out the ending to this game! "

No, that'd require Ryan Davis to not be a judgmental prick who whines and bitches if his games don't deliver him blowjobs on silver platters.  Seriously, no offense, but every single video he's in, he makes "my first game" mistakes, complaints about things that are his fault, he ignores the game's instructions on how to proceed and then whines when he doesn't know where to go, seems to have an attention span of about five seconds... if a game isn't something he already doesn't love from the moment it starts up, he declares it terrible no matter what its flaws are.  Either he's an idiot or a master troll.

On the game itself... I'm not a huge fan of shooters on the Wii and I don't doubt this one has issues, but I think they're going into it a bit too seriously.  The Conduit was always really tongue-in-cheek and it seems like they're playing it up even more this time around.  It's like they expect every goddamn shooter to be Call of Duty.  Did they seriously not think that maybe, just maybe, Duke Nukem throwing one-liners around as giant robot alien snakes tore up the oil rig while people Wilhelm screamed to their dooms, was an indication that this game is meant to be just a little on the silly side?
Posted by dvorak
@drew327 said:
" The graphics in this look like my rose-colored glasses version of N64 games from when I was a teenager "
Yeah that's what I was thinking exactly. 

Weren't the graphics in the first even a little better than this? They seem pretty poor in general.
Edited by GrandMilato
@dvorak said:

" @drew327 said:

" The graphics in this look like my rose-colored glasses version of N64 games from when I was a teenager "
Yeah that's what I was thinking exactly. 
Weren't the graphics in the first even a little better than this? They seem pretty poor in general.
"
That's the Wii for ya. It's a limited console. It looks better than most (if not all, aside from UC2) Xbox/GC FPSes, though, which I guess is a success given that the Wii barely outpowers those systems.

But it totally looks better than the first Conduit. Without a doubt.
Posted by Mechanized

This game looks decent, I don't get the hate. I played the first Conduit for a bit and it was pretty fun. :/
Once you fight the right control setup the game plays pretty damn good.

Edited by fisk0
@lizzard2 said:

" How many pc shooters do you move your sight to the side of the screen to move the camera..zero? So why not make a very small movement box and then change sensivity to your liking and viola its magic and it works like a pc mouse. Not very hard to figure out, i did in 2 minutes in counduit 1 and it played just fine..
"

Not zero, actually. Don't think it has happened in any game in the last decade, but the original System Shock had that, and I'm pretty sure there were a couple of games with such controls released up to Quake 2, where the modern PC  FPS controls started to get standardized. It was also possible to play the first Unreal and Unreal Tournament that way, though I can't remember if that was something you had to install mutators to do, or could enable in the config files (both defaulted to modern mouse look controls).

Edit: When I think about it, I'm pretty sure the first Operation Flashpoint  also controlled like that.
Posted by polymorph
@lizzard2
Spot on.

Posted by Trebz

The best part about Ford sounding like "a bad Duke Nukem impression" is that Ford is in fact voiced by Jon St. John.

I'm not even kidding.

Posted by polymorph
@fisk0: This is a wii game remember, and has great controls if you configure them right!! A full screen dead zone is not the way !
Posted by allenibrahim

I can tell you didn't enjoy what you played of this game because it does not play super well without tons of configuring. However, the main character IS voiced by Duke (I think), and...you guys need to all watch the ending. The ending is...oh my god. It was BASICALLY made for Giant Bomb. Carbon Neutral may need to do some suing...

Edited by fisk0
@polymorph said:

" @fisk0: This is a wii game remember, and has great controls if you configure them right!! A full screen dead zone is not the way ! "

I didn't say anything like that, I pointed out that some early and not so early PC FPS games also had similar controls, i.e. allowing you to aim around on the screen without rotating the camera.
Posted by subyman

LOL, the lock-up was perfectly timed

Posted by polymorph
@fisk0:
Im trying to think of some, I have unreal tournament right here, It always worked that way, even Quake just turned the camera, im not looking for a argument, i just think Ryan made a big mistake when he made his dead zone full screen, and then complained that the controls were shit!..
Posted by crithon

you know, the timing of this quick look feels right considering how many games were released recently.

Posted by Koobz

The box art for this game looks like one of the godawful armor permutations you can shit out in Halo: Reach.

Also the game looks fantastic and I totally agree with everyone saying that Ryan should totally take this garbage I mean gem more seriously.  Because as a professional games journalist on an editorial gaming website that is totally not focused on silly videos or people being themselves, Ryan Davis needs to give a fuck about every game.

I PAY YOUR BILLS RYAN DAVIS SUBMIT TO MY WILL.
Posted by RVonE

Conduit, Prometheus, Leviathan, Progenitor...
Posted by Raciend

Meeh

Edited by VN1X

Jeez guys, what a bunch of nitpicking in this video. Sure it's not the greatest game on the market and I'm certainly not going to buy it myself for anything more than a fiver... But this Quick Look just resulted in a tear down of every single feature in the game.
Once you we're able to 'fix' to control swaying by putting the setting from "human" to the other, which seemed like the exact option you wanted, you still opted for the default setting and continued to bitch about the controls. GG. 

Keep on truckin' though! These QL's are always a blast to watch. 

Posted by fisk0
@polymorph said:
" @fisk0:
Im trying to think of some, I have unreal tournament right here, It always worked that way, even Quake just turned the camera, im not looking for a argument, i just think Ryan made a big mistake when he made his dead zone full screen, and then complained that the controls were shit!..
"
Yeah, the defaults in UT was the standard mouselook stuff, but it was possible through config editing or mutators to play it with a dead zone, and none of the Quake games have had that available without source ports. I agree that Ryan didn't really seem to look at the options he was changing, rather looked like he was just changing stuff at random. I for one love the idea of a console FPS with so much customization, as I rarely feel comfortable with the controls or their options in PS3 and 360 games. I actually kind of like the look of both the Conduit games, and they are something I'd definitely get if I were to get a Wii at some point.
Posted by Nux

I like Patrick as a Quick Look man. He should do more.
Posted by MEATBALL

This Quick Look was pretty great!

Posted by jelyk

the intuitive advantage of motion controls in full effect here

Posted by polymorph
@fisk0:
Thank you, for your polite and non condesending reply!
That was always my point, Ryan made a mistake, i wasnt looking for arguments with other people.
The first Conduit wasn't a great game, i got bored after a couple of hours, but the controls had potential.
Killzone 3 has some customization with the move controller, on PS3 obviously, but i would like to see more. sorry for any misunderstanding.
Posted by SafetyFist

Have to admit I died a little inside when i saw how horribly he screwed up the deadzone. As well as when he found the setting that fixed what issues he had with the screen being jittery, changed it, but then put it back at human a second later :\.

The game's default settings are shit and you really need to change things if you're looking for a comfortable control setting.  The main two options that have to be changed are the dead zone and the camera style for it to be more bearable. Which fortunately are the two least complicated settings because it does not involve messing with the sliders. It's unfortunate that the developers didn't bother to make the default settings tolerable, but this game is actually kinda fun in multiplayer once you tinker with the controls for a couple minutes. The single player is bleh. Has an interesting ending, but really the rest could be completely ignored.

It has it's glaring issues and is certainly not something that you should pick up if you have any shooters on other platforms to play, but it's not quite as bad as Ryan makes it appear. At least for the control issues. The multiplayer wasn't shown sadly.

On an unrelated note, Patrick is doing a pretty good job with quick looks.

Edited by Sharpshooter

Thats not just some bad Duke Nukem impersonator , thats Jon St. John himself.

Edited by Rox360
@lizzard2 said:

" How many pc shooters do you move your sight to the side of the screen to move the camera..zero? So why not make a very small movement box and then change sensivity to your liking and viola its magic and it works like a pc mouse. Not very hard to figure out, i did in 2 minutes in counduit 1 and it played just fine..
"

Because you can lift a mouse and put it back down. If you want 100% representative mouse-style controls on a Wii, you'd need a button that you hold down to ignore camera movement so you can reposition your remote to the center again, then release the button to make it do something again. The same way you move a mouse to the edge, lift it, put it back on center then move it again. And you know what? That sounds absolutely awful.

But you're right, in concept. Tiny deadzone with proper sensitivity would work good enough. "Good enough" will never be "mouselike", though. It really confused me when people were claiming PC-like gaming contorls before the Wii was launched. So many gaming magazines shouting about how it'll be the prime console for shooters because of the Wiimote... Mouse precision cannot be obtained without a mouse. There is exactly no substitute.

Edit: Er... Those are totally real weapon names. The SPAS 12 is the go-to video game shotgun.
Posted by Nottle
@Benny: I understand this could be a crappy game. But at least learn the game your playing. Learning curves and reading directions are good things.
Posted by spiceninja

I find it strange that some people say the Wii is ideally best for console FPS games because of the precision the pointer controls give you. If that's the case then why does this and other FPS games on Wii have a lock-on mechanic? It doesn't make any sense.

Posted by shades846

really none of the giant bomb guys know how to play wii first person controls well or the settings that nearly all the reviewers of this game seemed to have done.

Edited by zerdune

What a frustrating and unfunny quick look this was. First one in awhile that I couldn't watch or listen all the way through.

Posted by vinsanityv22

I liked the first Conduit well enough. Felt like a great "Nintendo shooter"; a more older school Goldeneye/Perfect Dark style corridor shooter with solid multiplayer and cool weapons. Considering how many shooters out there are just aping COD (*sigh*), it certainly fills a hole in the market. But man - it took me THREE DAYS to get a good control scheme going. I mean, they even bury the lock on and 180 degree turn in the option menu - there's no default scheme that includes them. And they're pretty much necessary on a motion controlled shooter. Metroid Prime 3 and Red Steel 2 have proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Can't muster up too much enthusiasm for C2 though. Will probably wait till it's cheap to pick it up, or Gamefly it. It does look noticeably nicer though, with more art style, better color usage and more variety to the locales. Plus scripted events and cooler enemy designs. It just....it just kinda makes me wanna play Crysis 2 instead:)

Posted by WhiteBrightKnight
@zerdune said:
" What a frustrating and unfunny quick look this was. First one in awhile that I couldn't watch or listen all the way through. "
I had this exact same feeling, and respect to everyone else who didn't just say "this game is shit".  Almost everything they were complaining about was their fault (and by "their" I mean Ryan's), and they didn't even pay attention or get to the crazy b-movie stuff that makes the game stand out. Ryan went into it thinking "the first game sucked so this one will to" then proceeded to bash the controls while making them even worse.  Why not play it with the classic or gamecube controller if you hate wiimote controls so much?  They complained about the position of the look down the sight button, when they could easily have mapped it to the c or z button, which works quite well.  And that dead zone thing was just awful.  Just plain awful.
Posted by Wright

I thought it was funny.

Posted by Shtinky
WILHELM SCREAM @ 20:21! Ryan you missed it!
Posted by Rxanadu

I dunno why, but Patrick makes me think of a young-sounding Vinny.  Which is a compliment, if you didn't get this.  

Also, hard lockups?  C'mon, Sega!
Posted by thecosmicfly

I don't believe I've ever seen a Wii FPS where you didn't have to move your redicule all the way to the edge of the screen just to turn, which really bugs the hell out of me. Granted, I've not played many games on the Wii, but wouldn't designing it so the deadzone and aiming were exactly like Goldeneye 64/Perfect Dark, only with Wii motion controls, fix the whole turning/aiming issue entirely?
Posted by infestedandy
@Roasted said:
" @Slaker117 said:
" @Bib said:
"

Earlier today, i watched the ending of this game on YouTube. It's pretty goddamn amazing.

"
Holy crap. Just looked that up and you're right.
I'M NOT KIDDING. "
DO WHAT THIS GUY SAYS "
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, did the developers just say, "This game sucks, lets go balls out," and throw anything at the end? What a waste. This is why the Wii can't have nice things.
Posted by ZeekDaGeek
@Sharpshooter said:
" Thats not just some bad Duke Nukem impersonator , thats Jon St. John himself. "
Lmao that's hilarious.
Edited by BaconGames

Add this to that tiny list of QL's absolutely fucked by the crew's incompetence.  I love you guys so much but this is just sad for all involved.

The one thing the site lacks as a whole is the sense that misrepresenting games on QL's are a possibility.  Dave has been the only one who has even expressed concern that a QL he did might have been unrepresentative (and good on him for doing so) and as a result his QL's are almost always properly done.  A vast majority of the time the crew does a good job but on occasion they just don't give a shit and frankly that's just insulting to both the viewers and the developers.  I'd rather them admit they can't properly represent a game and therefore not cover it than do a piss poor job of showing the good and bad of this game. 

This is by no means a defense of Conduit II because I hear it's a decent game, especially if you liked the first one, but it's nothing special.

Posted by BUCK3TM4N

i thought the first one failed so bad that they werent gonna make a sequel

Posted by Roasted
@infestedandy:
It's a brilliant trick. Once you see that ending, no matter how crappy the game was, you know you gotta find out what happens in the next game.
THIS IS EVIL
Posted by Ak1mbo

Holy...

You two both seemed to go into this game expecting it to suck, and Patrick seemed hell-bent on reinforcing that attitude.  While I agree the player is given too many options with too little explanation of what they do, satisfying motion-controlled FPSing is attainable in the game with only one or two tweaks.

Ryan, you'd likely be most comfortable with the "dead zone" set as small as possible and a somewhat lower sensitivity.  This would provide a "Call of Duty/Halo-esque" feeling.  The dead zone is primarily used by players who are concerned with tracking the movement of enemies on screen more easily, but most console games don't employ the mechanic.  Certainly, the developers would have been well-advised to have the default control scheme emulate what is currently the standard for console FPS games, and let the player go from there.
Posted by Shtinky

Black Ops Wii is still the best FPS on the Wii, followed by this then Goldeneye. Goldeneye would be the best if it weren't for its awful framerate.

Posted by hermberger
@gaffyh said:
" can someone tell me why this is stilla Wii exclusive, port it over to PSMove and Kinect "
Why would anyone want this shit to be on anything?
Posted by TehFlan

This Quick Look was disappointing. :(

Posted by rcath

Stop complaining about Ryan not playing the game 'right'. This game looks dirt stupid.

Posted by CannibalFerox

Oh my, what an awful game. Thanks for this very important PSA.

Posted by nickux

Geez. Come on guys I felt like this QL was a little harsh. I ended up stopping it around the time Patrick said, "Thanks, game design!" Just bumming me out with cynicism. The game doesn't look great but, I don't know, shit was rough. 

I feel like if they had watched the ending cutscene before doing this QL things would have gone way better, for sure lol
Edited by GrandMilato
@rcath said:

" Stop complaining about Ryan not playing the game 'right'. This game looks dirt stupid. "

uh, but he wasn't playing it right.
granted, the game is, in fact, dirt stupid (it's average, the multiplayer is pretty nice FAWG, but the concept is out there, the story's poor presentation is only bested - worsted? - by its predecessor, and the ending is just plain lulzy), but that doesn't invalidate the point - that Ryan completely screwed things up from the get-go by maxing out the deadzone. Anyone with half a brain, even someone who doesn't really know game lingo like 'deadzone', should be able to figure out after the first few seconds of playing with a maxed out deadzone that they're doing it wrong
Posted by raikoh05

at 480i, your game is already way too blurry to use depth of field, forget about it.

Posted by Romination

I dunno, Metroid Prime 3 and Trilogy works great without the Motion Plus and Red Steel 2 is awesome with Plus, so where does High Voltage mess up?