23 Comments
Posted by ZombiePie

So the Matrix Online Community Twitter which for the last two years has attempted to gain fan control of The Matrix Online from SOE for the last two year admitted defeat. The announcement came as no surprise anyone following the Twitter account:

And here's the official announcement:

Now as many astute users may remember there are a couple of unofficial emulators running the Matrix Online for dedicated fans to play and enjoy the game on. But the real story is the fact that the fans have been trying for TWO YEARS STRAIGHT in an attempt to bring back The Matrix Online under user control and are now admitting defeat. Now those are some VERY dedicated fans, and I mean that as a compliment. Are Sony villains here? No not reallyyou give this enough time and maybe The Matrix Online will become like Ultima Online....

Posted by natetodamax

This is nothing compared to the dudes who continued to play Halo 2 for like a week after it was shut down.

Posted by Grilledcheez

I applaud their efforts, that's insane.

Posted by RandomInternetUser
@natetodamax said:
This is nothing compared to the dudes who continued to play Halo 2 for like a week after it was shut down.
Wasn't it longer than that?  Either way, that was insanity.
Posted by Subjugation
@natetodamax: I don't know, I think two years shows more dedication than the week or more they spent. Maybe that's just me.
Posted by Joeybagad0nutz
@GrilledCheez01 said:
I applaud their efforts, that's insane.

What? You for real?
Posted by myketuna

Not like this...

Posted by Brendan

Well that's good, now they can play some good games.

Posted by the_gallo

Tonka's dead you guys, you can't bring him back.

Posted by FluxWaveZ

In 2 years, the fans could have developed their own crappy Matrix MMO.

Posted by Mento

It's completely infeasible to expect anyone to unfold all those crumpled up avatars on their own. Jaws of Life sets don't come cheap.

Moderator Online
Posted by HandsomeDead

It's been two years since the switch off? Wow, I remember watching all that stuff live.

Posted by JasonR86

That's to bad or them.  They'll find something new though.

Posted by ElBarto

Man it has been a long time, I remember getting the game at launch. Way to many good memories - while the game wasn't all that spectacular the events Monolith put out were awesome and the community was really rad to. I've yet to play an MMO since that had such an awesome community of players.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

I have no understanding whatsoever regarding that sort of mentality. You spend two years trying to resurrect a mediocre MMO when the market is oversaturated as it is? Of course, I have no understanding of why anyone would have wanted to play the Matrix Online in the first place, especially after the devs screwed up the game with some sort of Star Wars Galaxies esque rebalance, so maybe that's just me. 

Also, two years? Oh geez. I remember watching the end of the Matrix Online live. I have been on this site a while, haven't I?

Posted by Claude
Posted by Not_Rage

So they were to get Sony to bring back Matrix Online? That's a pretty unrealistic goal.

Posted by Vonocourt
@HandsomeDead said:
It's been two years since the switch off? Wow, I remember watching all that stuff live.
It was on my birthday too. Damn.
Posted by Yanngc33

I don't know why but I laughed

Posted by ZombiePie

@HandsomeDead said:

No I should have specified this. Two years ago was when SOE bought the rights to The Matrix Online. Since then fans of The Matrix Online have been petitioning SOE for fan ownership of the MMO due to what they perceive as poor management on their part. It was still an unrealistic goal.

Posted by LordAndrew

It's not just SOE they have to deal with, but Warner Bros. Of course it was never going to happen. It was an entirely unrealistic goal.

Posted by Matt

Even I found it a little weird what this guy was doing. Don't get me wrong I loved MXO but at the same time I know that game was 83% broken. I've messed around with a couple of emulators for nostalgia's sake but it's time to let it go and hang up my pink gi.

Posted by UnsolvedParadox

Maybe Bioware will get the rights to the Matrix universe, and reboot it as a new MMO...