108 Comments
  • 108 results
Edited by Manburger
@Skullomania said:

@nicksem said:

Pretentious bollocks

My thoughts exactly.
What! I don't get it. How is it pretentious? Man alive. This is not a vauge, super high concept bullshit sort of deal where someone is reading way too much into something, Journey just seems like a beautiful experience. Is something automatically pretentious just because someone is talking about emotions
Glad the majority seems to be up for this kind of thing! I know I am.
Posted by drag
@LordCmdrStryker said:

@Skullomania said:

@nicksem said:
Pretentious bollocks
My thoughts exactly.

Thirded. Make a game, FFS.

agreed. not enough shooting
Posted by ShaneDev

Its looks great and sounds interesting but I am not sure about that  Sixaxis camera control. 

Posted by jking47

this game looks cool, can't wait to mess around with it

Posted by JJpenguin
@LordCmdrStryker: Meh, easy to see the argument that this is arty bullshit but it's nice to see variety. Currently, I'm on the fence (and increasingly wanting a PS3.) If, like Limbo, this game uses the art style, tone and general presentation to enhance a good underlying game, im 100% sold. If not, and the underlying game is shit, the I totally agree, make a game. 
Posted by Sanious

Wish it was hitting XBLA. :(

Posted by kouotsu

I can see why people would call it pretentious but I really don't get that impression at all. Simple and artsy =/= pretentious. They don't really seem like they're putting their game on a pedestal as something brilliant. I like the idea of multiplayer with limited interaction. If it turns out to be interesting and pleasing to play, they've done nothing pretentious.

Posted by RVonE

@Manburger said:

@Skullomania said:

@nicksem said:

Pretentious bollocks

My thoughts exactly.
What! I don't get it. How is it pretentious? Man alive. This is
not a vauge, super high concept bullshit sort of deal where someone is
reading way too much into something, Journey just seems like a beautiful
experience. Is something automatically pretentious just because someone is talking about emotions? Glad the majority seems to be up for this kind of thing! I know I am.

Yeah, I don't get it either. They're clearly trying to do some things differently than what we're used to. They introduce some variety in today's game landscape. I don't understand what is pretentious about that. As consumers we should be lauding their effort of doing something else. That doesn't mean you have to like their games either; it just means that new ideas will drive the medium forward.

Posted by strangeling

I like the movement in this. I like that you can slide along the sand.

I like the bursts of sound you can emit.

I'm intrigued.

Posted by Make_Me_Mad

I remember when people took the time to make things that looked beautiful, were artisticly wonderful, and were actually games.  This is despicable, just like Flower was.

Edited by geirr

Beautiful, looking forward to experiencing this.

The sound design seems a little out of place though, I mean the echo somehow sounds too

near, as if not in a desert where an echo really wouldn't be so eager to resound.

Posted by bhhawks78

After the overhype for a pretty screen saver aka flower I don't think I can trust any coverage about this company.

Posted by yorro

Wasn't this at google labs?

Posted by artofwar420

After the awesome experience that Flower was I can't wait to see this in person.

Posted by BigChief

This game looks excellent.

Posted by rbanke

I completely disagree about the motion controls in Flower. Loved the game, but thought the motion controls completely got in the way and made for a frustrating experience. I would have much preferred to use the analog sticks.

Journey looks pretty interesting, been waiting on it for quite a while. Nice to see some new press about it.

Posted by sixpin

Played Flower and Flow. Never really enjoyed either of them that much. They aren't bad, just not worthy of all the praise I think. They are neat experiments and I think that this game will be as well. Don't know if I'll like it any more than the studios previous works, but it is pretty.

Posted by prestonhedges

"In a big city, you’re walking [a] downtown street, you don’t care about [people], because they’re everywhere. You care about your cell phone or whatever. But if you go to the mountain, go to the wild, hiking, you’re so small, you don’t feel you know a lot about the world. You’re insecure. Whenever you run into another person, you naturally want to go and say hi to them. Very simple psychology. I wanted to see an online game where we delivered the mountain.”

Yeah, or maybe a desert and two characters is just easier to render.

Posted by de_la_penta

great article. looking forward to journey!

Posted by confideration

I prefer to forget about those months in 2009 when Flower was debated ad nauseum.

This team is doing cool and different things, and I buy their games, but lets pause before we go all hipster and start drooling over high concept.

Posted by buckybit

...also reminds me of the French comic artist Moebius (Jean Giraud). Very promising "IP" - nice aesthetics.  

Posted by springtoast

Looks very interesting. Can't wait to try it out myself!

Posted by Kyle

I can't wait for this. It needs to come out soon! :(

Posted by shinluis
@drag said:
@LordCmdrStryker said:

@Skullomania said:

@nicksem said:
Pretentious bollocks
My thoughts exactly.

I really feel sorry all you kiddos. I beg of you, please go back to your Call of Duty and stop quibbering about designers who actually give a thought about their games instead of going bob kottick about them and making the medium and saturated with endless games that look all the same and have no spirit.
Posted by Brenderous

One of the most interesting games at e3.

Edited by bonkers

"herp derp, the game has no guns or 'splosions, offers an unconventional playing experience and the dev is talking about feelings and psychology, omg FEELINGS!! I can't wrap my tiny brain around these crazy concepts and I therefore deem this entire thing as pretentious herp derp."

This game looks beautiful and unique, can't wait to play it.

Posted by drag
@shinluis: my bit was a joke but alright
Posted by RVonE

@bonkers said:

"herp derp, the game has no guns or 'splosions, offers an
unconventional playing experience and the dev is talking about feelings and psychology,
omg FEELINGS!! I can't wrap my tiny brain around these crazy concepts and
I therefore deem this entire thing as pretentious herp derp." This game looks beautiful and unique, can't wait to play it.

I like you.

Posted by adamazing

I love his comparison on why they chose that style of multiplayer.  Very interesting.  I'm curious to see how the multiplayer all works out.  Yay for good previews of non-AAA titles!
Edited by LordCmdrStryker

@bonkers: Did you read the shit the guy said? He's making a game for people who never leave their goddamn houses. You know what I do when I want to seriously interact with people? I go outside. When I play a game, I want to play a game.

And I didn't like Flower, either. What a waste of time.

@jabbertrack said:

I prefer to forget about those months in 2009 when Flower was debated ad nauseum.

This team is doing cool and different things, and I buy their games, but lets pause before we go all hipster and start drooling over high concept.

Amen, brother.

Posted by blacklab

Loved Flower and am very much looking forward to Journey.

Posted by SgtGrumbles

Things like this make me want a PS3 more than any of the big name titles.

Posted by Jrad

@drag said:

@LordCmdrStryker said:

@Skullomania said:

@nicksem said:
Pretentious bollocks
My thoughts exactly.

What do you mean I can't 'pwn noobs'? FUCK THIS GAME.

Posted by tourgen

Overblown pretentious nonesense

Posted by Brendan

This seems like a neat little experiment that's worth trying out.

I think it's sad that people are bashing this game and the dev for doing something a little more artistic when most of them are the same people constantly bringing up how games are "art" on message boards. Guess what people, it's a little artistic experiment. Just as we have room for big budget FPS's and little downloadable games, our newer industry has room for these kinds of games as well. It's great that people can trying out new ideas, and if you don't like how the language sounds "arty" then you should seriously consider what you're doing next time you find yourself squaking about how games are "art" in the next thread devoted to the latest thing Roger Ebert said.

Posted by Chirag4
@Jrad said:

@drag said:

@LordCmdrStryker said:

@Skullomania said:

@nicksem said:
Pretentious bollocks
My thoughts exactly.

When do you get the red dot sight?
Posted by BasketSnake

IT'S THE NOMAD CONES!!!!!

Edited by Sanj

This game looks so damn incredible. Looking forward to playing it.

Posted by Red

Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite game of all time, and I absolutely adore ICO. I thoroughly enjoyed Flower, although I did find the environmentalist twist kind of annoying. Regardless, the multiplayer component of this game seems incredibly interesting, and the visual style is beautiful. It's the kind of jaw-dropping I haven't felt since I played Okami. 
Very interested in this one.

Posted by dungbootle

I'd really like to play this.

Posted by MJHAYLETT

day one for me

Posted by Toms115

can't wait to play it wait i don't have a ps3 :'(

Posted by onarum
@Chirag4 said:
@Jrad said:

@drag said:

@LordCmdrStryker said:

@Skullomania said:

@nicksem said:
Pretentious bollocks
My thoughts exactly.

When do you get the red dot sight?
He didn't mentioned perks, wtf, do we at least get xp for shooting people?
Posted by nicksem

Lovin' the kneejerk 'go back to cod' nonsense. 

The game is a middling co-op platformer. Morrowind did 'you're alone in an alien world' nine years ago. 

Posted by Duffyside

One of my most-anticipated.

Posted by Crono

Wow, running around in isolation with nothing in sight and no real objectives!? Where do I sign up for the fun!

Posted by purexis

Wow, exploring the concept of selfhood in a game...never thought it would happen. I love that life always surprises me...the unexpected always bears the hallmark of the real.

Posted by SleepyDoughnut

Did anyone ask what you're actually supposed to do in this game?

Posted by BaconGames

Personally I still can't believe Flower was Patrick's favorite game of 2009. I have nothing against flower but on really? A $15 title where you float around as flower pedals for like 3-5 hours beats Batman or Uncharted 2? Fucking looney.

Posted by Milkman

This make me seem like a pretentious hipster but thatgamecompany is doing important things for the game industry and if this medium ever wants to be taken seriously, more developers like thatgamecompany need to exist.

• 108 results